Does anyone level lock at 80?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Zarnafien, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Zarnafien Well-Known Member

The end game doesn't interest me as I feel the whole ascension thing isn't the least bit enjoyable.

What I have been thinking about is rolling a new toon, getting to 80 slowly, then doing all content. Has anyone else done this lately and if so what was your experience?

Cheers!
  2. Marilia Active Member

I would suggest a Progression guild. They level lock at various stages (usually for each expansion in the game's timeline) and do that expansion's content, then move on to the next, etc. I know of one progression guild on the Antonia Bayle server, Time Helix, that is currently level locked at 50, but is set to move on to lvl 60 stuff (and Desert of Flames content) soon.

I personally love progression guilds as they give you the chance to slow down and see the game instead of rushing to the game's level cap. I have been in two progression guilds previously and had a blast in them and I'm currently in Time Helix, which is a fun group of people.

I'm sure there are others out there, this is just the one I know of since I play on AB.

Also really hoping the new TLE server doesn't pull anyone from the guild to go play there (as I'm sure a lot of regular type guilds are hoping too). The last progression guild I was in had that problem when Stormhold came out. :(
  3. Ceyarrecks Wunnfirr Well-Known Member

no, a guild will not address your concerns.
    making use of a Chronomentor would.
    That way, you can reap the benefit of better, higher level gear, all while thoroughly enjoying a particular level's content, all without concern of leaving said level until such time as you "Unmentor" via a right-click menu.
    I have done this on many occasions in order to build faction via quests that were no longer offered to higher levels, as well as to assure research into particular regions proved successful, as some area drop different gear specifically based on one's level.
    The various Menageries of Miragul come to mind....
  4. santargria Well-Known Member

IMO mentoring/chronomentoring doesn't really satisfy doing content at the appropriate level.

The reason being, you can use the high level gear (level 100 for example) no matter what level you mentor down to and consequently you'll be one hitting everything - not really fun IMO.

I've done chronomentoring for lower level content - specially the chrono quests which are one of the best sequences in the game IMO - and I was able to breeze through all the content without worrying about taking any damage.

I like the idea of progression guilds - I wish there more as well as more guilds with alts interested in doing lower level stuff as well.

The issue as I see it (I was in a progression guild a few years back) while it's a lot of fun to do old raid content, the raids tend to be spread far apart (sometimes weeks apart) due to high level content taking precedence. Just the way it is.

IMO your best bet is to find/meet a group of friends/players and try to get something regular occurring - even that is rare these days.
  5. Momo Well-Known Member

Santargria is right about it beeing too easy, but that will be the case no matter wich way you go.
    I do both:I play (mainly) two toons, one has been level locked for ages and the other is new. I took the gift of the free level 100 and chronomentor her. I put the free level 100 equipment in the bank and only go with level-apropriate quested gear, that makes it a lot more challenging but still not the same. Thing is, the other one has a very easy time as well - if you level lock you will have ungodly amount of AA wich makes you overpowered for the content as well.

That beeing said: I have tons of fun with both of them. And the content is absolutely worth it! There is so freaking much in this game thats worth exploring, it would be an absolute pity to miss it. So just go about it and enjoy!
  6. Marilia Active Member

There are definitely guilds out there that can address your concerns. They are the progression guilds I mentioned. They all have different rules, but the two past ones I've been in and the current one I am in, the rules were mostly the same - absolutely no one allowed to join the guild that is past the guilds current level lock, no use of over powered gear like the crafted fabled gear, AA's only appropriate for the expansion we're on (at level 50 we use no AA's for example), etc. It's not a perfect replica of doing the content like when it was originally released, but it's close. Certainly better than mentoring or chronomentoring down to that level.

As for higher level raids taking precedence over the level locked content that doesn't happen in my current progression guild or the past ones I've been in, mostly because higher level characters aren't allowed in the guild. In Time Helix, for example, we raid twice a week and have good turnouts for both days.

I can only speak for my own experiences with progression guilds of course, others may have different experiences with them.

(Guild in signature is my own personal alt guild, not a progression guild)
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

I am doing it slowly. All quests, all collections, all achievements and all dungeons, etc. The good thing about it, I can select what I would like to do today. It is also important to limit EQ2 game time to prevent burn out. Sort of 2-5 quests per day plus some extra time on new dungeon or harvesting or whatever.
    P.S. I am doing dungeons/heroics/raids mostly solo. I suppose I will need to find a raiding guild when I'm near level 100, but that won't happen any time soon :)
  8. Raff Well-Known Member

If you chrono and do the 10 level tiers in the appropriate handcraft or MC armor& weapons you'll get a better feel for at level play.
    santargria likes this.
  9. santargria Well-Known Member

Agreed - however I do not have enough bank/house etc. space to keep multiple sets of armor.
  10. Determind Active Member

You can always mentor down 5 levels below the appropriate level to make it a bit more challenging.
    Finora likes this.
  11. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I lock every one of my newbies at the traditional level breaks, 0-9, 10-19, etc, until I complete all content for that range.

Cyrrena
  12. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Just roll on Fallen Gate on the 27th.
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

OP, that's kind of how I've played all along. I've never been in much of a rush to the end. Played since launch and have only 4 level 100s and 1 of those was a freebie from buying KA.

While I have never joined a progression guild, I know there are some out there and they lock at the various levels like Marilia stated.
    And like Determined said, mentoring well below the level of the mobs ( make them at least yellow if not orange) ups the difficulty.