Doe, trio, quartet...

Discussion in 'General Mage Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Doxkid, Jun 13, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Doxkid Guest

What class should I look for in a lasting group partnership as a Necro, sticking with magic classes only? I'm hoping to drag a friend on, and he will certainly want to play a magic class as well. My class preference is necro, so I'll be playing that.
    Futhermore, who should I look for to fill up our perm group? 2 is great, but 3 or 4 is even better.
    I was thinking/hoping for:
    Necro
    Coercer
    Conjurer
    And maybe a wizard or warlock.
    With this group, we have insane tanking possibility, resses, teleporting, nukes, DoT, CC and can take advantage of any nice monsters we happen to find. I will probably try to get him to go coercer and we'll just look for a summoner and wiz/warlock later.
  2. ARCHIVED-Anduri Guest

You're going to have a very very hard time with that group eventually, probably leading to either some of you quitting or rerolling. Its extremely badly balanced.
    You have insane tanking possibilities if by insane you mean the mental kind. Neither pets (presuming thats what you mean) will hold the mobs off the wizard/warlock. You have no healer anyway so one area of effect type attack is going to decimate your group.
    There is a reason most groups roll with a tank, a healer, some support and dps.
    If you are all absolutely insistent on some kind of magical characters but are open minded enough to take this advice and save yourselves a lot of trouble, I would suggest:
    Shadowknight (yes its a tank but they do cast a lot of spells)
    Fury (yes its a healer but they also can blow stuff up a bit like a wizard)
    Coercer, since you already have one.
    Necro, since you seem fixed on playing one.
    This group is far from my first choice for a group of four but at least its reasonably solid and tries to tick some of your boxes.
  3. ARCHIVED-Doxkid Guest

Without the wiz/warlock, could my friend and I function reasonable for a while? Up to, say, 40s or so? The "only magical character" thing was to satisfy him wanting a mage group. I only have time to solo, or work with a dedicated team since we have similar schedules so I don't care who is with us as long as we get stuff done.
    I basically solo'd a necro to 40 two years ago when I played, so it can't be too difficult, but would having a teammate hinder me much? Also, should I mentor him until he's roughly 30 or should I make a new character and level with him?
  4. ARCHIVED-Fendaria Guest

If you are just looking to do the solo stuff with a group at the lower levels, then any of the mage classes will do fine. Pick what looks fun.
    Later on, if you are still playing, you can worry about the tank/healer/dps for a group and roll up some alts.

Fendaria
  5. ARCHIVED-Doxkid Guest

Ok, so we can pull off the mage party until the game gets serious, he decides if he's buying a sub and we get some ingame/IRL cashflow. Thank you.
  6. ARCHIVED-Ragnaphore Guest

The only problem would the wiz/lock, even if half-asleep and with a coercer he/she will draw agro from pets. OTOH Coercer (or Illu) works very well with a necro, add a conj and you have a "poor" full group that can do 90% of the heroic stuff just a few level after the "normal" groups [Disclaimer : - Doing this will probably NOT teach you how to play your expected role and you will all need some AAs and/or spells upgrades just to do your basic "new" jobs, as an example, for your necro, journeyman or adept pet/pet buffs just won't cut it and you'll need at least Tainted Heal & Perceptor Command to be a somewhat tank/healer combo for anything heroic that canno't be obliterated in a few seconds - AA mirrors are your friends btw if you don't want to get a bad rep. when doing actual groups]
    Edit : If you just want to level on solo questlines, add the wizard and you will litteraly burn through them all the way to 90.