Do you have to use Bows?

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-Jordon, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Jordon Guest

As a ranger do you have to use a bow for the arts? Can you use other ranged weapons like throwing knifes?
  2. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

90% of the arts require a bow.

But you could become an assasin ;)

Unfortunately the ranger is meant to be a BOW based class, so they kind of force the issue in that respect.
  3. ARCHIVED-Scribbler Guest

You sure about that?

From what I've seen, they only require a "Ranged weapon" doesn't specify a bow.
  4. ARCHIVED-Bulvei Guest

true - good point
  5. ARCHIVED-Neecha Guest

You dont have to use a bow you continue to get a mix of ranges and melee skills all way through (some of your MELEE skills are ranged)
  6. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Yes you need to use a bow. Ranged Weapons don't work, it has to be a bow. I submitted feedback on this. Also, at level 38 I can drop a ^^ 20-30% while the tank is pulling it to me using ranged attacks. And while fighting group mobs, I can just target the tank, and auto-assist spam specials... and do a lot of quick damage. I don't have to spend time positioning myself like other scouts, just be in range for all my specials to work.
  7. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Actually, most of the melee skills are ranged. About 60 %, because this is a ranged base class. But there's a difference between having the "Ranged" skill as the base skill determining your likelihood to hit, and actually BEING a ranged attack (which is a distinction you talk about when you say "some of your MELEE skills are ranged).
    Things like, Hidden Shot, Back Shot, Wounding Shot, Triple Shot, Sniping shot, Miracle Shot, Trick Shot, etc... require a bow.

So yes, while you continue to get ranged attacks (Leaping Thrust, Longshank, etc.) you get a LOT of attacks that require a bow.

Actually, let me count.

Ok, here's the tally -
    "Ranged" attacks that can be done with something other than a bow (often a dagger, even): 10
    "Ranged" attacks that can ONLY be performed with a bow: 19
    And out of that list, there was one attack that calls for a "ranged weapon" (only one) which I put in the "ranged attack without a bow" section. However, as you well know, Bows are the highest damage dealing ranged weapons in the game, so it makes almost no sense to be a ranger and NOT use a bow, even for the attack that doesn't state that you have to.

Now, if we take out all of those "ranged" attacks that are actually MELEE attacks flagged as ranged (leaping cut, lunging thrust) lets see how many REAL ranged attacks don't require a bow:

So, thats
    8 Melee attacks flagged as "Ranged"
    19 Bow attacks
    2 ranged attacks that don't need a bow.

So yes, you can go without a bow, but you're robbing yourself of the majority of your attacks. You're cutting yourself down by about 190% in effectiveness.

If you don't want to use a bow, you NEED to do the betrayal quest and become an assassin.

I'm not saying this to be mean, I'm saying it because this is something you HAVE to do at level 17, and if you miss the chance I don't want you to be stuck with a class you don't like.