DO SOMETHING WITH US

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-AbbuCloudshaper, Sep 19, 2009.

1. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

For AE agro the most important thing you can do is pick up the following pieces:

* Hood of Chaotic Manipulation from the last name in Scion of Ice
    \aITEM 24063942 343632270:[Hood of Chaotic Manipulation]\/a

* Burning Lavastud from the last name in Deep Forge
    \aITEM 208242699 1861817281:[Burning Lavastud]\/a

* Charm of the Lost from the Undead Jester in Befallen: Caverns of the Afflicted
    \aITEM -774841730 -2045188570:[Charm of the Lost]\/a

* Buckle of Light and Darkness from trash mobs in Necrotic Asylum
    \aITEM -1853218638 101467932:[Buckle of Light and Darkness]\/a

* Survival Accord Badge
    \aITEM 261749425 -1858555654:[Survival Accord Badge]\/a

The above items basically all proc some kind of reactive damage or a damage and a heal, the most important of these are the hat, the charm, and the earring as they deal AoE damage Wearing the gear I listed above I have parsed as high as 14000DPS just letting mobs hit me (massive, massive swarms of mobs). This has made AE agro very easy for me, and I do not even have all the reactive damage gear available to me. Just a quick note, a lot of these items are rather rare and can take some time to farm. There are more items with reactive procs, but these are the ones I have in my inventory at the moment.
  2. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Ambrin@Nagafen wrote:
    The only thing I can say about this is the idea as an avoidance tank is not to get hit, stuns tsunami bob and weave plain avoidance all create scenarios where reactive gear is not as effective. Better to create your agro for yourself rather then to depend on a reactive.
  3. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

I agree with that completely and have specced all the way down wisdom, but there is no denying that you will get hit and these reactive can help a lot, especially when you've pulled an entire level in CL1 or an entire room in almost any other zone.
  4. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Ambrin@Nagafen wrote:
    Ya I am not saying don't use it(I mean I wear a reactive ear) what I am saying is they should worry about getting good at holding 1 or two groups before they get into pulling whole rooms.
  5. ARCHIVED-Rhod Guest

Hi Bchizzle and Ambrin - thanks for the info and tips.
    One thing, with the items in the post above I can see the AE procs on the Hat and the burning lavastud. But the charm doesnt seem to have a proc?
    Cheers
  6. ARCHIVED-jrolla777 Guest

the survival charm does have a reactive damage proc, its just smaller and not aoe
  7. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

Charm of the Lost and Burning Lavastud both have the Mutagenic Burst proc on them which is an AE direct damage proc that has a 10% chance of triggering whenever you take any damage. The Survival Accord Badge is a small single target direct damage proc which also heals you a small amount when it triggers, it has a 8% chance of proccing when you take any damage.
  8. ARCHIVED-Rhod Guest

Thanks for the info.
    The Charm of the Lost at LootDB doesnt have a proc on it, so is it wrong?
    \aITEM -774841730 -2045188570:Charm of the Lost\/a
  9. ARCHIVED-AustinB Guest

Yes, the Charm of the Lost does have the mutagenic proc on it, if LootDB says otherwise than LootDB is wrong.
  10. ARCHIVED-Saphire Guest

I know I am a little late joining in the fun, I attribute it to rarely checking these forums since it seems that there is rarely anything going on on them. This thread made me LOL though. I love tanking, and I love DPSing. I thought it was awesome when I was invited to a pick up raid a while back and the raid leader asked me to MT rather than one of the 5 other plate tanks. I started playing EQ2 around when ROK came out I think and my monk was my first toon on the game. Since then I have fought tooth and nail and clawed my way up the heap and become one of the top monks on the server, if nothing else my expirence should show that with hard work and determination it is possible for a monk to get into a top end raid guild by knowing their class, and being a good player, no matter when they started playing the game. As for B, he is rough, coarse, and brusque, but he knows what he is talking about. If you are gonna ask something instead of putting in hours and hours (not to mention a vast quantity of plat on AA respecs to tweak you AA lines) to test, re test, compare, test again, change, and then decide that you want to go a different direction all together; listen to the advice that you are given.

Now, for my 2cp on AE aggro control: Crane Flock + Tsunami = win. I will often run into a room full of mobs, hit Full Moon (now Crescent Strike II or something like that) on my way in, then back into a corner and hit Crane Flock followed immediately by Tsunami. With Dragon Rage going, I do not have much, if any, trouble with aggro after this combo. Not only that but with the Shadow AA ability that increases my riposte dmg by the time CF and Tsunami are down, about 85-90% of the mobs I aggroed are dead having killed themselves on my ripostes. This is because (afaik and feel free to correct me if I am mistaken) a riposte is a form of an auto attack and is therefore affected by CF. In short, since you are riposting 100% of the incoming attacks on you (by being backed into a corner) from Tsunami, each riposte you make from every single mob attacking you is turned into an AE double attack. I am not entirely sure if my mechanics theorys are completely correct, but I can verify that in practice, this works quite well and the more mobs you can aggro at once on pull with this combination the faster they kill themselves. Combine that with the 5 piece T2 or T3 hybrid set bonus that can proc a group heal when you melee attack, you can practically keep a group healed with this move as well if you have a dirge to increase your proc trigger rate.

Just a little trick I worked out one day. Hope it helps some of you out there.
  11. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Saphirewind@Permafrost wrote:
    This is wrong, but the thought is right using tsunami when pulling rooms is great because every time the mobs swing at you they are dealt riposte dmg which really adds up when you have 20 mobs on you.
  12. ARCHIVED-Jihrun Guest

Yeesh, some things never change. A year ago this forum looked exactly the same, with most Monks begging SOE to do something, anything, to increase raid desireability for the brawler class and the same one or two persons arguing with and harassing everyone else.
    A year later (which I've spent rolling, leveling and gearing up a class that will actually get me a raid spot ), I come back to see what's going on with Monks and... guess what? Nothing. Same old same old. Monks are in the same rut and brawlers are still begging SOE to do something with the class.
    My advice (if you want a regular raid spot, that is... because Monks are still a darn good solo class) is to retire your Monk, spend the time rollling another class and leave these sad forums to the trolls, who will then probably turn on each other simply for lack of anyone else to disagree with. LOL
  13. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

For some reason people tend to always look for the bad, pitiful, or anything else that is negative before looking at anything positive. Not saying that monks or brawlers do not have issues.
    SOE needs to get an "active" class representative to get on these forums and start communicating with the players. One developer trying to answer for guards, zerks, sks, paladins, monks, bruisers has failed.
    A simple class or sub class update every thirty or forty five days would not be a bad idea. Possibly explaining anything that is currently under review or fixing pre exsisting issues would be great.
    Lack of communication and procastination is hurting this game. Not acting on known issues within an alotted time is also a huge bane that makes many ask "does SOE give a rats a@@".
    This has been the best game that I have played, but it has lost a large margin of ground this year.
    Once the huge communication rift between players and devs happens I think there will be much less confusion and upsets with players.
    Basically a great deal of communication and alot more action would be nice.
  14. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Morghasi@Everfrost wrote:
    Why is it the people who offer this type of advice never follow it themselves? Sorry you weren't good enough to raid on your monk, that doesn't make all monks worthless. Enjoy your time playing a dirge, me personally I find the dirge class to be an absolute bore. But you know I prefer playing a class that can actually do things besides buff others, to each their own I guess.
  15. ARCHIVED-Jihrun Guest

Aull wrote:
    True, but in all fairness, the fighter revamp was a good idea and would have been good for brawlers, but I guess the uproar from a lot of the player base nixed that idea. I remember huge threads and heated arguments about that fighter revamp.
  16. ARCHIVED-Jihrun Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    Aw Chizzy... you must think I care about your opinion.
    I raided with my monk, darlin. But let me spell it out for you... most raids only roll with one brawler class. They'd rather have several plate tanks than two or three brawlers. This means that quite a few Monks get passed over when the RL starts building the raid. For solo play we're great... for most groups, we're just fine (an AOE taunt ability would be nice but whatever). For raids? Not so much... we need more raid desirability, which requires making us stronger tanks or higher dps.
  17. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

There were great ideas with the fighter revamp but I think it had other bad areas that would have made tanking stink.
    Fighters like the warriors and brawlers need better chances at holding aggro than they do now. The fighter revamp would have made aggro lock down so easy that there would be no chance of any dps class ripping aggro which would take a great deal of excitement out of the game.
    Forcing tanks to use defensive stance as the only means of aggro retention was for the dogs. Offensive stance for fighters generating less and less hate yet scouts in offensive stance generation more and more hate didn't make sense.
    Sorry for the rambling.
  18. ARCHIVED-Jihrun Guest

Ramble away. :)
    I think in the end, it comes down to what you want to do in the game. If soloing/occasional grouping is what you'll be doing than I think the monk is more than able to handle that. TSO mobs get a little hairy for a tanking monk because you have to constantly be switching targets... more than a few mobs and this gets old fast.
    But if you intend to raid in this game, I'd say forget it and just roll another class. Some folks here might think they are some sort of one-man raid by listening to them blather on, but the majority of brawlers are going to be fairly limited as far as raiding goes. Sure, you might get lucky enough to get into a guild starting out and grab the brawler spot on the roster. Or maybe you'll act as back up brawler until the main raiding brawler gets bored or takes a break. Other than that, good luck getting a regular raid spot.
    Maybe SOE never intended brawlers to be raiders? Perhaps there should be a warning that flashes across your screen when you roll a Monk... "WARNING! ALERT! This class is best suited for solo and group play. Do not roll this class if raiding is end-goal."
    Anyway... I wish you all the best of luck. I really do like the class... just would like to see us have a bit more raid desireability.
  19. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

LOL! It would really be nice if the classes had better descriptions than what they do now. If I had known that paladins are actually better aoe than zerkers (non-mythicaled) then I would have never rolled a zerker to begin with.
  20. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

/yawn
    You do realize most of the top raids guilds in this game use a brawler right? Fact is with 3-4 tank spots open in a raid guild and 6 tanks not every guild is going to need you, it is just as likely that a zerker can say the exact same thing about finding a home to raid. As far as PUG's go if they don't take a monk then they are just stupid since our raidwide is huge in a group thats not used to raiding together.