DKP point revolution!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Discussion' started by Nynaeve, May 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nynaeve Active Member

(DKP = Dragon Kill Points aka Raid currency, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_kill_points )

PLEASE SOE,
    for your next MMO:
    Let the Game assign DKP points automatically to players,
    and let them roll on anything that drops!
    No more assigning loot by the raid leader, no more confiscating items (eg. tradeskill apprentice) for the "greater good" aka the raid-leader and his closer friends.
    No more stupid assigning multi-class items because something is "more a tank item" or "more for scouts".
    LET THE DKP DECIDE, and people roll on anything they can use with their current present class.
    The System should also know which Alternate Chars people have, and allow Alt-rolls if no present main wants to bid on an item.

The finer details are up to SOE to create, but if you ask me, I'd even make the DKP points guild-independant, so you would carry them over if you leave and join another guild. :) Yes, this will create an outrage, but it's only logical this way, and when everybody has to deal with the same system it makes it fair for everybody as much as possible.

ps. probably not really a revolutionary suggestion. are there any games out there that do this already?
  2. Ragna Well-Known Member

Your "revolution" would make more new problems than it would resolve...

Honnestly, if you don't like how a guild is assigning loots : change guild.
    Sigrdrifa, Feldon, Ranga and 6 others like this.
  3. StaticLex Active Member

This is easily one of the worst, most poorly thought out ideas I have ever seen.
    Sigrdrifa, Vailene, Laiina and 7 others like this.
  4. Nynaeve Active Member

it would eliminate many problems not create. Changing guilds wont solve the problem which is human greed and false sense of responsibilities - pretty much every raid leader will fall for it. If you put the cookie char open and assign people to "guard" it, they'll be the first to empty it.
  5. guard Active Member

you let your guild leader take your tradeskill apprentice off you?
    Neiloch and Wirewhisker like this.
  6. Nynaeve Active Member

my former guild did that - the apprentices were assigned to the raid leader and friends and their alts, and only once they had filled their personal requirement "for the greater good" were normal raiders allowed to bid with their DKP points. pretty much the same thing went on for the raid crafting materials.

"The greater good of the guild" really only meant crafting gear for their personal chars and alts until they were stuffed full.

Same thing went on when Obol dropped in chests, just another example. SOE fixed that thankfully, and they now drop raidwide.
  7. guard Active Member

most guilds do that so you get one of each type researching the items there is no point having 4 people or the same type researching the same stuff. the same with the crafting materials they go in the guild bank and then a item is chosen to be made everyone can bid on that item its called working as a team which raiding is. and if your last into a guild your are most likely going to be last on the list to get items. but you sound more like a player that's wants every new drop first regardless of what is best for the raid overall. ( I could be wrong but that's how it comes across)
    Wirewhisker likes this.
  8. Nynaeve Active Member

you see, I don't subscribe to the superficial "what is best for the raid overall" decisions made by people, because everybody in control will always grab the goodies for themselves first. the "best for all" is simply a lie in many cases sub-consciously even.
    COMMUNISM essentially did exactly that - people had to sacrifice things "for the greater good", and we all know how that turns out. The Oligarchy on top lived in paradise while the normal people...
  9. Malleria Well-Known Member

I'm not sure which is worse: the corrupt raid leader who takes choice items for themselves, or the self-centered raider who only cares about how much loot THEY can get, and doesn't give two ***** about helping the raid force as a whole.
    Slant, Bouncing Skull, Laiina and 8 others like this.
  10. Nynaeve Active Member

in the long run, the raid force as a whole will benefit from my suggestion the most, and they can all be content with fair loot distribution and focus on the actual instance mechanics.
    The more you participate in raids, the more DKP you get, and you can spend it anyway you want, maybe you can even make gifts to your guild if you choose so (but that could open another can of worms - forced gifts, so maybe better not.)
  11. guard Active Member

the only person that would benefit from your suggestion is a guild hoper go to a low level guild get lots of dkp then join a higher level raid guild take all loots rinse and repeat.
    Feldon, Athenia, Seiffil and 6 others like this.
  12. Wirewhisker Well-Known Member

I do not agree with the OP in any way and I believe this is a horrible idea.
  13. Filly67 Well-Known Member

I don't agree with the resolution that the OP suggests but I do agree with many of the problems that she mentions.

Truthfully when it comes to loot I truly believe that boxes of loot is not the way this game should run. Twenty four people (or 12, or 6) spending time hoping that not only will a piece of gear that they will need will drop but then hoping that they win it is a crazy system. There should be an heirloom system (although truthfully it would be nice if heirloom could be allowed to link to all of your accounts) of some type of token that everyone gets the same amount of. You then use your tokens to buy what you need. I am not one to normally say what works in other games but I will do it this time. Ps2 uses a certificate system that seems to work very well and you choose what you want when you want it.
  14. Filly67 Well-Known Member

The helping the raid force as a whole mentality can really turn into quite the fallacy. I have spent month in raiding guilds as we continuously let gear go to people that really need it to be able to help the group, or who are new and just need a bit more gear to be viable, or so and so knows this toon and the will be great, only to see that person get fully geared and leave. It happens all the time. And I don't care how noble a GL is they are and do favor their friends. It's how the world works. It's not corruption it's real life.
  15. Veeman Active Member

Wow, so much wrong with this not sure where to start.

Not sure how other raid guilds do it since I've been in the same guild for..well forever it seems. But you get DKP based on attendance and as long as you are in good standing based on attendance percentage you can bid on any item that is dropped. Our procedure goes Mains, Alts, Recruits, Purchase. (Recruits are players in guild for less then 30 days.) Normally if we do have recruits we will ask if that drop piece is an upgrade for them and let it go to them instead of an alt. If they are out of DKP we then let it drop to purchase where you can "Purchase Main" so people know it's an upgrade for you but you are out of DKP to get it. You're not required to, but it's considered good guildy etiquette to let it go to those who need it. As for rare harvesting drops, anyone can bid DKP for it, but once you get the first one, you can't bid on another until everyone else who wants one has had a chance at one. This simply stops those with a lots of DKP from getting all the rares.

Absolutely no way on allowing DKP to transfer with you to your new guild. A few reasons have already been stated why. But mostly because a person rolling in with a bunch of DKP from elsewhere upsets the balance in guild.

Basically you want to take away control from guilds on how they run their guild. You want to force them to run it your way, but even if SOE did put something in game like this, we still wouldn't use it. DKP is maintained on our guild website and that's where it will always be maintained. You can walk around with a billion DKP from the in game generator but when you join our guild you'll still be at zero on the generator that counts.... ours.

If you are so unhappy with the way DKP is utilized, then the simple answer is, start your own raiding guild and you can run any DKP system you want. But I'm guessing that your ME ME ME system would keep your guild stifled.
  16. Wingrider01 Well-Known Member

this idea is worse then the invention of the Nintendo Virtual Boy and that is being kind
    Feldon and Wirewhisker like this.
  17. Wanyen Active Member

Sometimes, here especially, the more you help others become better, the better you can potentially become. While I can appreciate a sense of need to revise and refine certain loot mechanisms, that, as described, is not on that list.

What I would include on my wish list, some of which are a very long shot at this stage in the game:

1. Basic points history command based queries for some of the more common concerns. Eg, listing of event/encounter attendance by members present for a particular date along with points awarded per member for that event, last winning bid for a particular item, average [of up to last ten] winning bids for an item, item loot history (listing who, when, which event/encounter, and for how many points spent).
    2. Deferred, pooled loot, distributed either on demand, or at group/raid pending composition change. Looting from the box puts it in a indefinite, non perishable holding state claimed but not distributed by the group/raid so distribution can be performed at a more convenient point for the group/raid.
    3. Draft Lottery mechanism as an alternative distribution scheme to accompany the other standard built in types (free for all, need-greed-pass, round robin, leader assigned). It would work essentially as round robin, but with a few more options.
    4. Built in adhoc, live bid system for perishable loot (where decay if not claimed will occur), that works for both raids using a points scheme, or solo/individual players for coin currency. I would like to see [public] live bidding moved to a dedicated window and out of conventional chat. Accompanying that, I would like to create 'watches' for items I might be interested in that alert me when something matching that watch is listed.
    5. Automatic cheering and clapping by members present when an item is looted by another member :D

EDIT:

For benefit of those who in some way favor of transferrable points, keep in mind those points are a form of favor earned and accumulated, and is basically a guild unique currency. The favor (or points) you earn with one would be beyond hard to exchange or translate to favor with a new guild as it currently sits with the tools available.

A guild-to-guild token exchange system might be interesting though, in that sometimes certain guilds have a different drop rate experience than others. Having a guild unique currency might allow guild members to perform a token exchange with another guild for an item that they would otherwise SLR for plat. In essence a way for guilds to build favor with each other through the trading of the guild unique currency back and forth.
  18. Colibri Member

it is really getting annoying, people making absurd suggestions under the guise of making things fairer! Can we just stop using the word ... fair altogether?
    Wirewhisker, Spindle and Veeman like this.
  19. Geothe Active Member

Horrible, Horrible idea by the OP, as usual.
  20. Estal Well-Known Member

I think an automated DKP system in the game would end like dungeon finder, it would just waste dev time and then no one would use it due to lack of control.
    Wirewhisker and Elostirion like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.