Discriminated class

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Moiya, Jun 23, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Moiya Guest

I have enjoyed playing my monk for years now but starting to get really PEEVED (being polite), try to join a grp as a tank only to be told they want plate but when i try to join a grp as a dps no sorry you're a tank. COME ON SoE help us monks out for christ sake.
    As for the ignorant out there yes we are a TANK class but we can also dps with the best of them, alot of us have proved that time and again but still we get put on the crap pile.
  2. ARCHIVED-Morghus Guest

Your info is somewhat outdated. Monks are now one of the best tanks, but no way can they nowdays keep up with a real dps.
  3. ARCHIVED-Moiya Guest

when i have managed to get in raids I can still parse in the top ten, and I know monks that have outparsed wizzies by hitting well over 50k but the main point of contention is trying to get a grp as one or the other (tank or dps) is a royal pain in the rear area
  4. ARCHIVED-Gungo Guest

Your misinforming raid dps with group dps.
    Raid dps no way a brawler can compete with a wizard and 50k is very low.
    Group dps fights sometimes dont last that long melee classes tend to have an advantage.
  5. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

Yeah, so brawlers are tanks now, plain and simple. We're damn good at it to, if you spec and adorn yourself right. I have been told by many a healer that I'm the easiest tank to heal they've ever grouped with. If anyone doesn't realize that monks are awesome tanks, they're stuck in a TSO mindset and don't know what they're talking about.
    Top 10 dps in a raid really isn't that impressive when you think about the fact that the 14 people you're above are probably 6 healers, 4 bards, 4 chanters, and possibly another tank or two. We're still behind all of the dps classes (as we should be).
  6. ARCHIVED-Siatfallen Guest

This prejudice still shows up in PuGs from time to time - it's almost funny when it happens, though.
    Monks have been elevated from "Yeah, so I guess they're in the game - does anyone play them competitively?" to "They're really good" over the course of the last two expansions.
    Honestly, if you read and follow the advice available here on that other forum we're not supposed to talk about here, you shouldn't have any trouble setting up a brawler for tanking. I got back into the game 5 weeks ago (had been away since tSO), and things are looking good on all levels of play; the tank-centric theme is a change of pace, but as opposed to the reality in tSO, I don't feel insulted by being pressed into that category, and then being given a class that's downright bad at it.
    The people who say they want plate tanks over brawlers are either talking about aggro in sub-optimal groups (we're fine if we have a dirge or a coercer), or they're talking about the game nearly 2 years ago.
  7. ARCHIVED-Moiya Guest

Yes I do KNOW we make good tanks and I've had people say that they like healing me because of our avoidance but plain and simple truth is we have MEGA probs getting into grps one way or the other I mean seriously I sat here 2 days in a row trying to get a damn grp either tanking or dpsing and kept on getting told no you're not a tank we want plate or no you're not a dps you're a tank ARGHHHHHHHHHH in other words can't F***ing win and yet funnily enough b4 the server merges I had no probs one way or another, my raid guild wanted me every day we raided, I was grping no probs and dpsing in grps no probs but everythings changed now and I just feel like sometimes I should delete the monk altogether cause if I can't even get into any of the new zones in grps wats the point and as that was my first toon ever I absolutely hate saying that. As for our dps isn't as great as others bah humbug to that yeah ok we can't hit top amount but how many times have you been in a raid or a grp as dps and outparsed others you know should be doing better anyways, you can't tell me that just because people have a supposed high parsing toon that they will parse highly cause thats crap, theres alot out there who get into grps and raids just because of their class w/o even knowing if they even know how to play their toons. Sheesh I used to outparse 2 wizzies and a ranger that were in our raid guild daily and all because I knew my toon and they just raced to 90 w/o knowing what their class even did.
  8. ARCHIVED-Roslyn Guest

This may seem like a stupid question but are you LFG or LFM? It makes all the difference in the world sometimes, especially as a tank class. Go to a PQ and see how unwilling people are to form groups lol, but they like to join them. If you make groups and get a good reputation and build your friendslist people will be eager to join you. I would suggest dropping the "but I DPS so good" argument though, it just makes you look uninformed and that you've played with subpar DPS. It's awesome that you try to maximize your potential, but it does alienate you from people who know what DPS are capable of.
  9. ARCHIVED-circusgirl Guest

A higher quality player or a player with better gear will outparse a poor or poorly geared player. A raid-geared healer could play at dps in a poor enough pug. Generally speaking though, we compare classes at a consistent basis: a good dps vs. a good monk, not a good monk vs. a bad dps.
  10. ARCHIVED-Moiya Guest

Maybe I should just swap servers then as most monks I have spoken to on our server are having the same probs and have resorted to just doing pq's over and over, not saying I've spoken to all but the ones I see quite often in pq's are all having same probs with grps. But hey forget it, seems the actual intent of this post got lost like they always seem to on the forums, I'll just go back to twiddling my thumbs and lvlling toons I know i can get into grps with.
  11. ARCHIVED-tfetterman Guest

I love how you use the term "discriminated" as if there was affirmative action in Norrath. Learn how to play your class and the rest will take care of itself.
  12. ARCHIVED-eidand Guest

tfetterman wrote:
    There are many incapables using the word "discriminated" to justify their inability of tanking to any sort of decent level.
    Monks are doing really well and no one would say they prefer a plate against a monk.
    I am thinking the OP used time travel and got into the future by mistake. Years and years ago he would have been right ( arguably though ).
  13. ARCHIVED-Valphine Guest

Moiya@Najena wrote:
    Help out?? Monks are OP enough atm.
  14. ARCHIVED-SomeDudeCRO Guest

Make your own groups as a tank, as noted before; and no offense, but if you aren't out there actively tanking as well as any other tank on your server then you are part of the problem... be part of the solution instead.