discord

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by mythicaly, Sep 12, 2022.

1. Kuulei Well-Known Member

I am curious as to how often this happened in EQII's discord channels to warrant this change. Although I have yet to see this when logging into discord on my pc, lol. Probably due to the fact I have discord on my phone in case I am unable to get home for raid.
    Ayodi likes this.
  2. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

When I first began working here, there was a case where 4-5 accounts were hit by a scammer. And again a few weeks ago it happened again with another few accounts. Prior to me coming on board in mid-June, I have no idea.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Dude Well-Known Member

So you're saying scamming increased when you came on board. Hmmmmmmmmm, :p
    Breanna likes this.
  4. Miragian Well-Known Member

Hmm... they followed you in... did someone forget to close the door when you come into the server? :D

In all seriousness, I didn't realize it happened quite that often. Then again, it is a public server (I think). That makes it harder to keep out junk.
    Dude likes this.
  5. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

I never thought of that! I will find out! :p

I'll ask Accendo if he forgot to shutter the door when he let me in. :p It is a public server and had little verification on it, so all someone needed was a valid email (which most people have junk emails they use and never even check).
    Twyla and Dude like this.
  6. DENSER Well-Known Member

in my case I can no longer write on discord, this new system tells me that my number is already existing, registered. so it doesn't work
    Ayodi and Twyla like this.
  7. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

You need to send a ticket into Discord as it sounds like you might be glitched or another account may have mistakenly used your number (it can happen when someone's number is close to yours). https://support.discord.com/hc/
    DENSER and Twyla like this.
  8. mythicaly Active Member

problem is some of us dont have cells :(
    Ayodi and Twyla like this.
  9. Dude Well-Known Member

10. Eisheth New Member

There are options to get Pay as you go phones from Wal-Mart, Target, and other big chain stores for very cheap. My son uses a Straight Talk Phone from Wal-Mart and pays 30.00 a month and he paid 49.99 for the phone. I'm sure you can find cheaper plans as well if you go with the Wal-Mart brand phone and plan. (Just an idea if you have a bit of disposable income)

For seniors (people 60+ and not the high school students), did you know you might be able to get a free phone? https://myeasywireless.com/free-phone-for-seniors/
    Ayodi, Aggy and Angeliana like this.
  11. Miragian Well-Known Member

There is a free phone/internet option for low income as well, not nessecarly tied to seniors. Granted, this stuff is for US only I think.
    https://www.fcc.gov/acp

You can also use a land line if you have one. Remember, its not used by, or given to, the server owner/users, or mods.
    Ayodi, Twyla and Aggy like this.
  12. mythicaly Active Member

i dont due to physical limitations..........i'm unable to operate one
    Ayodi likes this.
  13. mythicaly Active Member

no land line either.....150 year old farm...we cant find phone jack
    Ayodi likes this.
  14. Dude Well-Known Member

15. mythicaly Active Member

Dude likes this.
  16. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

while you might see it as NBD, some of us do, and just handing out phone numbers everywhere is a poor idea. far too many systems get hacked as is and we want to limit our private info out there as much as possible. then there are physical constraints some of us have, either medical or locational. i happen to be rural where phone service is... lousy... and there's nothing i can do about it.

where i live, land lines are not available, and cell service is touch and go on which part of the house i need to go to to get a bar at times. this was a lousy way to apply additional security, which exposes players and cuts off others, when you guys update the forums far less frequently than discord.
    Tkia likes this.
  17. Riverbear Active Member

Fully expecting to get disappeared on this : It is important for the service provider (Discord) to help protect clients (You, me, DBG, etc) from net naughtiness on Discord.
    There are user settings and Service Provider choices that mitigate spam, bot, & so forth.
    As for telemarketing data bases, I am sure they garner loads of data from the payphone down the block :)
    EQII standard subs need an email. THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH to play in Discord.
    I do not recognize nor buy into the explanation that one client gets to metaphorically horse-whip other clients!
    Socially - requiring a personal phone number (excepting the peoples' payphone outside) is a security step which should be optional per user - NOT contagious requirements from a separate service provider outside of Discord..
    If posters here do not smile upon EQII's choice of security in Discord, they certainly do not need to use that channel.
    The authority of devs stops dead at the borders of any 3rd party service provider.

Screenshot for Posterity
    Cheallaigh and Ayodi like this.
  18. Ayodi Active Member

Ayodi does not like the mandated gate to talk.

-the Ayodi
    Cheallaigh likes this.
  19. Forestchild Well-Known Member

everyone is afraid that DBG will be selling their phone numbers to third parties. well take this into consideration. your Phone company, FACEBOOK, electric company, mortgage, etc., etc., ALL do that anyways. How do you think Spam calls get to your phone 10,000x a day.

I know a lot of people (NOT ME) that use Twitter, TikTok, or Instagram crap. they are BIG into asking phone numbers.

It's just simply give your phone number or don't give it. and stop using the services that ask for your number, (and I mean ALL SERVICES). Cancel all the bills that you pay every month and crawl into that hole.

Thanks for reading my RANT.

I now return you to your regular schedule scrolling....
    Aggy likes this.
  20. Arandar Well-Known Member

Then they don't have an understanding of how the system works. If they want to be concerned about (what they think is) their secret phone number, then they should direct that concern towards Discord, not Darkpaw.
    Aggy and Forestchild like this.