discord

Discussion in 'General Feedback' started by mythicaly, Sep 12, 2022.

1. mythicaly Active Member

whats with having to verify our cell number to use discord channel????????? i'm dis-abled unable told one or even use, because of this acction i'm leaving DB gaming......after this month i'll find new game to play, just go's to show players in good standing on discord and in game dont matter. devs work their buts off only to have some idiot push players away.
    Ayodi and Twyla like this.
  2. Tkia Well-Known Member

Yeah, that piece of discrimination is all down to the company that produces Discord and has nothing to do with DBG. Given some of the appalling coding on that program I think they believe they're writing a phone app, not a piece of PC code. And while it annoys a lot of us that DBG put so much communication on Discord instead of the forums it really isn't required in order to play the game.
    Ayodi, Aggy and Twyla like this.
  3. mythicaly Active Member

i'm a member of 6 other channels with no issues only eq2 chan
    Ayodi and Buggabug like this.
  4. Arandar Well-Known Member

It may be tied to Discord's verification levels and how Darkpaw has the server configured. You can set any server to require a verified phone number be associated with the account.
  5. mythicaly Active Member

well they need to umdo that
    Ayodi and Buggabug like this.
  6. Dude Well-Known Member

Or just don't use Discord?
    Ayodi, Aggy, Morukta and 2 others like this.
  7. Buggabug Active Member

I never wanted to use discord, I was forced to go there to find any information cause the official forums get ignored.
    I'm not giving discord my phone number.
    Ayodi, Morukta and Twyla like this.
  8. Beyoncia Well-Known Member

It is DBG decision and has nothing to do with Discord. And it is a very bad decision. I'm not giving my phone number to some company. I'm pretty sure there are a lot of players like me.
    Ayodi, Morukta and Breanna like this.
  9. Arandar Well-Known Member

Just going to throw out there it's a bit odd to get wound up about giving Discord your cell phone number, when I guarantee you that information is already in telemarketing databases around the country/planet/solar system.

That said, I think having that requirement for their server is a bit over the top. A verified email address would likely be nearly as effective without going the extra mile.
    Aggy, Breanna and Twyla like this.
  10. Drona Well-Known Member

Why do we suddenly need this extra step? EQ2 discord has been out there for many years without it.
    Ayodi likes this.
  11. Tkia Well-Known Member

It is a 'security' function of the Discord software itself. I tried to install it recently for totally unrelated reasons and fell foul of the phone requirement long before I got anywhere near any server channels. For those of you not having the problem I'd recommend not trying to re-configure or re-install as I suspect that would trigger it.
    Dude likes this.
  12. Tkia Well-Known Member

Not if you don't have one it isn't ...
    Ayodi and Dude like this.
  13. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

nope, not going to give my phone number either... i don't care if it's the server or discord behind it.
    Ayodi likes this.
  14. Zenji Well-Known Member

It's a security setting to prevent ban evasion.
    Ayodi likes this.
  15. mythicaly Active Member

well i dont have a cell....................nore can i get one, so for people like me we out in cold
    Ayodi and Twyla like this.
  16. Grumpy1 Member

I have a cell phone and i use discord alot . there is no way im linking my cell to my discord for eq2 only . I run a few channels , i am a member of multiple channels and you could have fooled me but eq2 is a pc game. ****** move dbg , ****** move
    Ayodi, ittiebitty and Cheallaigh like this.
  17. Elskidorr Active Member

It's really bad for EQ2 since they don't know how to communicate on the official forums. Too bad this will never be addressed and be pushed under the rug like it's always just been a thing.
  18. Miragian Well-Known Member

For what little its worth its a discord server security level setting, and as far as I can tell the server owner/admins/whatever dont' see it. Its only required that you have a verified phone number on the discord account. This is only applicable if the server is set to the highest security level. Low requires you have a registered email. Absolute highest security can including requiring 2 factor authentication active for anyone with mod powers, doesn't seem to include the general population of the server. I believe the point of it is to help with both ban avoidance and spam bots.

[IMG]
    Jesaine likes this.
  19. Tkia Well-Known Member

No, it's not. Ir you install and try to setup a new client and account it kicks in long before you get near any servers. The server is just optionally taking advantage of an existing requirement. And all this for a piddly little chat client with bad coding and an over inflated sense of its own importance. Anyone would think you were asking for access to top level national secrets ...
  20. Angeliana Senior Community Manager

The addition to the phone number requirement is to prevent scams, abuse, and spammers. At some point, most of us know someone who clicked a link claiming to give something "free" and then their account was scammed from them. Then they had to come back letting everyone know their account was "hacked" and not to click any links they sent out. Someone inevitably had already clicked it, their account was "hacked", continue ad nauseum until it only those wise to the scam were left who would not click the link.

This prevents that scam as the "hacker" has no way to verify the account is theirs to steal it, password change it, and post on it. This also prevents random spammers and scammers from invading our servers and channels.

While we understand this change is not optimal for everyone, and some are unable to use this verification process, it was done for the greater good of our players and Discord server for safety reasons.

As for disclaimer or how your phone number is used, feel free to read up about it here: https://support.discord.com/hc/en-us/articles/6181726888215-Verification-Required-FAQ

We at DBG do not have access to your phone number or email on file with Discord. We are only utilizing the tools provided to keep our players as safe as we can while choosing to be in our Official EverQuest II Discord channels.

I am available on the forums from start to end of my weekly workdays and I also pop in at random times on the weekends. So please feel free to message me any time and I will do my very best to respond as soon as I set eyes on your message.