Disarming Traps

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-ItsMeDarnIt, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-ItsMeDarnIt Guest

Hi,

I'm new to this game and wanted to find out if there was a steady way to raise Disarm Traps skill. It's like at about 28 now and I'm level 27. I didn't try raising the skill until recently...argggg! I'm embarrassed by that, but it is what it is.... Been doing chest drops any other ways? Thanks in advance. While I'm at it, I've also been working on safe fall which is at 70. Are there other skills I should be working on. I'm dual wielding with piercing weapons. That's it thanks for reading.
    Message Edited by ItsMeDarnIt on 01-29-2007 05:57 PM
    Message Edited by ItsMeDarnIt on 01-29-2007 05:59 PM
  2. ARCHIVED-Unwise Guest

Sorry there is no easy way I know to raise disarm traps skill. You just have to learn to wait till people are healed to practice opening chests.
    As far as keeping other skills up to date, consider using a slashing and a piercing weapon, that way you do not have one lagging behind too badly in skill. Though I hear it is very easy to get skill raises now. Ranged skill is normally neglected, so consider putting a few tin arrows in mobs when you pull solo or if a tank pulls with a decent hate gathering attack.
    70 Safefall is very good for that level I think.
  3. ARCHIVED-Didi Guest

There isn't a shortcut to raising disarm skill and you'll probably find it lagging behind as you level up -- I certainly did anyway. If you group a lot and happen to be the only scout in the group, then don't be shy to remind your group to let you disarm the chests they find. Grouping will find you more chests to practice on than soloing. I soloed most of the way to 50 or so, so my disarm skill was about 100 points lower than max by then; at late 40s and in your 50s though you can start to do quest instances in Maj'dul which are given out by the "Tears Grifter" NPCs around the city. In each of these instances almost every encounter drops a chest (mostly just filled with a few coins) -- excellent way to get your disarm skill up to speed at that level, if you're still a bit behind. And pretty good XP too.
  4. ARCHIVED-ItsMeDarnIt Guest

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate your time in responding. Very helpful.
  5. ARCHIVED-Vincenzo Guest

My advice to someone in your situation is if you are in a group with another scout, ask them to deal with any Master type chests and you deal with the treasure chests.

That way you get the skill ups you need, and they can prevent the nasty AOES.
  6. ARCHIVED-Krooner Guest

Heres a faster trick when you can do the Tiers grifter quests on Maj.

Find a quest with lots of mobs.

Dont complete it at first. Each mob set will drop a low loot chest with a harmless trap.
    Zone in. Do all your chest. Zone out before you finish. Rinse repeat.
  7. ARCHIVED-Belaythien Guest

Tsk tsk tsk ... today's youth. Back in my days we had our disarm skill maxed in T4 in the worst case. Life was much more fun when traps were actually a really danger and not only a minor inconvenience. Even in T5 and T6 some scouts today have such a lousy disarm skill that it's safer to just open chests than to have them disarmed :smileyvery-happy:

You'll usually find enough chests on your way to 70 so I'd say it's not that important to go out and train that skill in specific. If you aren't maxed around the end of T6 you may start to worry. Just be sure to disarm everything you see, no matter how small the chest is.

Other skills worth training are your debuff skills. They use ordination if I remember correctly. I found subjugation pretty hard to raise (our lvl 35 special was or maybe still is subjugation ... I don't use it anymore as it's bugged at higher levels anyway ... or did they actually fix it?). Oh and ministration for our rezz. Though subjugation will get easier to raise in the next update and ministration... well since there are no more fizzles I have no idea what it is good for ;)
  8. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

Magic skills are good for mana cost reduction.
    You're right, Zander's is subjugation, but won't raise you past 200ish skill. It should (should!) be fixed in gu32.
    Remember when the monster with the most kills in eq2 was the treasure chest? Aah, I miss those days. =) Boxes treasured and up should have the capacity for near-lethal traps...

=)
  9. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

I wonder if exploding traps could draw aggro...
  10. ARCHIVED-Jaggid Guest

I do not believe so, I set one off last night in Runeye, while our group was fighting, did nothing to the mob.
  11. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

I found this once a long time ago, in a Dragon magazine, and your comment reminded me, Whysprr. The article was all about 1/2 level spells. In Dungeons and Dragons there's a number of spells numbered for their power level, e.g., Monster Summoning I, Monster Summoning II, etc. The half level-spells were amusing renditions able to be performed by... underqualified casters. The Invisibility 1/2, for example, involved one material component: A grey cloak. To cast, you huddled under said cloak and made like a rock.
    The one you reminded me of, though, is my favorite one:

Monster Summoning 1/2:
    Components: V
    Yell loudly, "What am I going to DO with these eight THOUSAND platinum pieces? Maybe I'll use some of them to buy a sword to defend myself!"

That one always made me giggle. So a treasure chest drawing agro made me think of that, though I'm sure that's not the meaning you had intended. =)
    Message Edited by Godstalk on 01-31-2007 06:02 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Whysprr_Wyrd Guest

It's exactly the meaning I'd intended. I was thinking of chest-go-boom, followed by plaintive voice from next room; "Mom, tell him it's my turn to go eat the adventurers!!"
    Whysp
  13. ARCHIVED-blavek Guest

I didn't realize I could disarm until my 20's either.... the trick is group and be quick and disarm every chest it will max out before you realize. I would like disarm to be more important also though right now you can pop a chest and unless you have like 0 hp's you will live through it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Wodison Guest

I Just got 42 with my Dirge but my disarm skill is only at about 120. It's gets tough to lvl up with people who just pop open chest and totally ignore disarm altogether. You can tell them things but they just go on ahead doing it (Maybe they think it will vanish or something). But sometimes you do get lucky and a group will work with ya and help ya get skills up but i find that so rare. Just my experience in the raising disarm and its troubles.
    Oh yea most groups i join doesn't even know Dirge's can disarm!!
  15. ARCHIVED-Zhaal Guest

some groups do take 5 or 6 comments that maybe they should let the scout disarm before blowing up chests.. and yes, i've had the comment, "we don't have a scout in the group".. i do count to 10 before answering that one..
  16. ARCHIVED-Jaggid Guest

LOL, I would be sending a tell to the group leader to drop someone that clueless. ;)