Disappointed Returning Player

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by airabis, Jun 4, 2020.

1. airabis New Member

After becoming completely burnt out on most mainstream mmorpgs I decided to give old EQ2 a try again, and I must say I am pretty disappointed and canceled the short lived $14 a month sub after trying it for a week. I was really looking forward to just relaxing while starting a fresh new character on the live server and just do some relaxing game time.

It took me three days to finally get the UI resized to be able to use my 4k monitor, and even then it gave me a wicked headache reading all the blurry text. All in all this UI is a nightmare. It's 2020 if you cant upgrade the graphics engine at least revamp the UI to modernize it, you would probably have 20,000 more subscribers.

When this game released I remember it being so graphic intense that I literally had to face an external fan towards my computer so it wouldn't melt. For its time this game had amazing graphics. One thing I recall very clearly was the nice ambient bloom effect that the models and environment had. This seems completely gone now and even on maxed settings its like running through a 2d puppet cutout show.

The tab targeting system is horrible. The fact that you haven't changed a ui system to allow to have different hotkeys to target objects on the ground verses npcs is ridiculous. 80% of time when going into battle the tab target would either select a pile of rocks on the ground or the wrong mob in a wrong direction, almost anything other than what my character was facing. How difficult is a simple thing like that to fix?You can't have a fancy cash shop and expect to get returning or new players who are use to streamline user interfaces to pay up with a system like this. For the amount of time and energy games like this spend making silly vanity items it could rather be improving an interface element that would not only make the whole game community happier, but it would attract more players and you would probably make 10times the amount of money a silly pet or cosmetic item would make you selling in a cash shop store.

The thing I am really bummed out about is that this game has a ton of content but seriously lacks user ease and functionality. I understand there is a nice chunk of people who currently play and are familiar with everything, but I honestly feel the best way to make this game better and get more people to play is by simplifying the user interface and making it user and technology friendly.
    Goldheart and Kheldar like this.
  2. Tangris Well-Known Member

There are a few great UI addons, and you can bring up an enemy threat list, as for the 4k size I am not sure, but DarqUI or a few others and the threat list may assist you in the majority of your complaints, sorry you are leaving.
    Breanna likes this.
  3. gem62 New Member

Create a macro, target_nearest_npc. Another fix.
  4. Tanto Done, finished, gone.

What's mentioned is fairly cosmetic, there are far far worse things wrong with this game.
    Kheldar, Quillyne, Dude and 3 others like this.
  5. docsam Member

have to agree
    coming back i found many things i was unhappy with but really i cannot complain about the visuals of a 16 year old game
  6. Dreorg New Member

If you haven't already decided to leave, I recently started playing after burning out on another MMO. I was also getting headaches and eyestrain from the default UI at first.

I installed DarqUI, found an eye-friendly theme, and switched over to a san serif font. It has made a world of difference.
    Carynn, Dude and Rosyposy like this.