Dirge Training

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Woobs, Jan 6, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-Woobs Guest

Ok guys, just a fair warning, some of those spell are on the same timer as similar spells / attacks.

For the lv 20 training, I picked the power DoT attack. Problem is it's on the same timer as all my other quick attack wiht power DoT.
  2. ARCHIVED-pheonyxe Guest

IIRC, I got 3 picks for being lvl 35 (probably 10,20,30)

Already ditched my 10 & 20 after having confirmed they are eitehr on same timer, or are a "medium" upgrade to something I already got later (eg: jonthans = relentless basically)

However, I picked a lvl 30 training that was another cacophony.

So I got claras and this training one - same icon, onely 1 point of power difference, reads the same, both take 1 conc...but not on same timer, and I can at least CAST them as if they stack...

...and claras is blue, while the other is still yellow.

I am wondering if they really stack, or if its like the yello wguitar/blule background buff (cant remember name) where you can cast the older AND the newer one, but only newer one is taking effect
  3. ARCHIVED-Xeryna Guest

Ya I noticed that too, was fairly uninteresting choices for that tier anyway but... anyway I'll list some stuff here.

Kelkarn's Singing Stab - Basically the same thing as Walt's Dancing Blade, and uses the same timer. Hurray.

Vhalen's Immobilizing Shriek - Single target root, 10 second duration, 30 second recast, 0.5 casting time. Haven't tested it on anything higher than grays yet, will check back in a while.

Jonthan's (Jonathan's?) Mobilization of Arms - Very awesome song. Increases strength, stamina, agility, and damage capability like Harl's Kindling Strain, except without the poison resistance (no harm done). The cool part is that it also has run speed increase built-in, and since it is a song you can cast it while running (/bye bye Pathfinding). I played around with timing a certain distance run, JMA speed came in between pathfinding and sprint speed. Harl's is level 38.6, I am level 39 with it at app 2, and JMA is 1 stat point higher on each, so I think right now the only advantage Harl's has is that it can be upgraded and it has poison resist (not that the resist system works at all, but...), but since you can choose this 8 1/2 levels before Harl's, it might be worth checking out.
  4. ARCHIVED-Meadsong Guest

Thanks for the heads up Woobs. Luckily (kind of) I shan't be playing for another 24 hours so I'm hoping that my dirge comrades will start posting about effects and timers etc as they find out about them.
    Good luck in your choices everyone, these fingers are crossed for you.
  5. ARCHIVED-raptorjb007 Guest

I choose the AoE, forget the name, at level 20 training.

It is basically the same as our aoe from the teens, execpt it can interupt abilities. I belive its about equal to our first aoe at adept 1 level but with an added effect.

They are on the same timer as well, its cool, but the haste would probably be a better option.
  6. ARCHIVED-Woobs Guest

Bard lv 10 Traning copied from the bard board

Kelkarn's Opening Act - "This ability lowers and enemy's defense and damage capability for a short time" - Yes, looks like a good opening. Anything that decreases AC is valuable, particularly in groups. It looks very similar to Dirty Tricks, though.

Vhalen's Immobilizing Shriek - "This ability roots the target for a short time" - Root might be useful, particularly if you need to be somewhere else, or if you like using a bow. Not sure what "a short time" is, though. It might also be useful for group pulls (root one, the other comes) if lt lasts long enough.

Denon's Deafening Strike - "A quick attack that deals low damage and decreases mental mitigation" - Another debuff. How much mental damage happens in a fight, though? Not sure.

Caskin's Ringing Swipe - "A flanking attack that deals moderate damage. It deals additional mental damage over time". Looks very straightforward and easy to understand. Looks similar to Sneak Attack, too. I hope they're not on the same timer

I picked the opening act, it's better than my other HO starter abiliity.

Here's what I remeber about the lv 20 Training

AoE shriek : does mental dmg and chance to interupt encouter

Luck song : raise all offence and magic skills and HP/power also, like songster's luck, you get a similar song at lv 31.6 (raise skills and int)

Warsong : raise offence and atk speed, you get relentless melody at 26-27 which is similar (raise atk speed and str)

Thrust : power DoT and debuff mental mitigation, samer timer as singing blade and Daloful's thrust, I think it might be usefull in party situation making shriek a bit better. (I use Daloful's thrust in solo or small group when I tank)

I would say the Luck song would be best for those who just turned 20. I dont know if the lv 31.6 spell is better.
    For higher lv, the AoE shriek/Interupt might be more usefull. (for those [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot] casters in encouters)
  7. ARCHIVED-Xeryna Guest

Not to be negative, but do the luck songs (Songster's Luck / Lucky Break) even work for anyone? For me they have been broken for well over a month, adding only 1-3 points on skills, regardless of whether it's app 1, 2, or adept 1. To me, that just absolutely is not worth 2 concentration slots. The only thing I notice from upgrading Lucky Break is that it does add more intelligence, but at a 1 to 1 ratio for int to power that isn't worth the conc slots either.
  8. ARCHIVED-Asolandri Guest

Methinks the root one opens a lot of doors for soloing, and I am glad I chose it =)
  9. ARCHIVED-Rungar Guest

the luck song adds 8 points to attack, which is quite good imo, it also adds to max power and health and defense.

its currently better than anything i have at lv 33.

the only thing i regret is not taking the upgrade to sneak in favor of the upgrade to dirty tricks, but its not much of a loss imo..
  10. ARCHIVED-Psixakias Guest

one of the lvl 30 training attack is the same as our dole nuke but sais it snares the target...

tested it and it DOES snare the mob, tho if you attack it the snare has a high chance of drooping off the mob... so it doesnt seem as a great soloing/kitting ability and it is also on the same timer as the dd+dot attack i was using
  11. ARCHIVED-Jziad Guest

Root seems to work quite well, not tried it on anything above a solo white however.

I thought about luck song, it adds hp and power which is nice, but was dubious about how much concentration its costs, and currently i rarely use songsters luck due to the high conc needed.
    I should have gone for haste as i cast that so much.
    In the end i went for the nuke hoping for some more dps.

"AoE shriek : does mental dmg and chance to interupt encouter"
    yeah didnt realise the damage bit was ae, should have looked closer. Its a keening upgrade basically, same timer, does about 5-10 more damage per mob than the original spell ap3, costs 3 more power, has the same length recovery time as lament, but half the cast time at 1.5, it can also interupt. i use our ae's spells on big pulls ( i know some hate them) so i would still use this for a bit i suspect, its easier to use due to its faster cast time, and well if several healers are pulled, its a chance to interupt one of them as oposed to just dps.
    Message Edited by Jziad on 01-06-2005 06:05 PM
    Message Edited by Jziad on 01-06-2005 06:07 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Weekapaug Guest

Level 20 Dirge....Just logged in after patch and chose the root and Jonathan's Whistling Warsong (increases group haste + "melee damage capability" although my atk doesn't change when its up so not sure what that means exactly)......

Do these upgrades (in general not necessarily the ones I chose) literally replace their normal counterparts or work with or ?????

Just not sure how I should be "looking" at these when choosing each time they come up.

Like the one I chose, JW Warsong.....it appears to stack with its counterpart, Merciless Melody......Does the haste stack if I use both? I dual 1.3 delay weapons so it's kind of hard to tell. Or does JWW replace MM? If so, at what point will I go back to MM with upgrades to it?

questions questions
  13. ARCHIVED-gamecat Guest

The run component of Jonthan's Mobilization of Arms eems to stack with pathfinding, giving you sprint speed with them both up .. least I did not go any quicker when using spring with both buffs running. The stat portion doesn't stack with Harls though and gave me exactly the same stat increase as my Adept1 Harls at lvl 30.
    Message Edited by gamecat on 01-07-2005 12:20 AM
  14. ARCHIVED-Kostamojen Guest

I picked the Haste/increased damage 20 song, which does stack with the other Haste songs and does seem to impact damage as well (Regular melee on my dual wielding axe level 30 Dirge was doing 20+ damage with each weapon almost all the time and at nearly 2x the regular pace), although I should have gone with the speed song since the haste uses TWO concentration spots!

I also picked that damage/snare attack for level 30, and man combine that with the regular snare and mobs stop dead in their tracks. It does basically the same damage as darksong blade, and is on the same timer (along with that other mental damage attack on the same timer that does nothing...)

However, there is one HUGE difference ive noticed with the patch:

My power went down, my HP went WAY up. I was in a group today, and with buffs had over 2000hp... Never came close to that before, and had over 500 more HP than a plate equiped Templar in the group. I think we might be moving more towards better tankability...
  15. ARCHIVED-Jziad Guest

I'm curious as the description of the warsong never included a movement speed increase, and it seems strange that this stacks with pathfinding and yet SoW does not.

Has anyone parsed having both mercilous melody and the warsong up, and then parsed them both on thier own? Does the warsong actually add haste? or have they increased movement rate by mistake instead....?
    Just seems this one spell is quite powerful compaired to the others in its line, if it both stacks with its lower level counterpart, AND adds additional capabilities only found in an unupgradeable archtype skill.
    The snare at 30 sounds interesting, i went with root for the low level one, ad am happy with it, I suspect the 30 snare is on the same timer, so may be one i got with at lv 30, however i wonder if they will keep the join stacking of snares like that. Guess I'll have to hope they iron out the spells and their details before i ding a few levels to 30.
  16. ARCHIVED-Weekapaug Guest

Just for the record, the 10 Root appears to be on the same timer as ensnare.
  17. ARCHIVED-Tekkor Guest

Level 32 almost 33 Dirge here..... my experience with the ST songs.

I took the following...sorry I dont remember the names....

The level 10 one I took that Root song. I didnt get to test it much as my group was trying to get writs done last night in Zek killing orc groups. I fired it off one time on a guy and it seemed to work ok locking him in place for a good number of seconds.

On the level 20 song I ended up taking the AoE disruption song. My reasoning was I would probably get more mileage out of having another song that could interupt on tough caster boss fights etc etc. Most the other stuff sounded like stuff I already had and would probably mess up timers etc etc. I fired it off at groups of orcs we were fighting last night. Seemed to always do about 70ish on each of the creatures. This was like yellow and white con Raiders, Grunts and Foragers in Zek. Its very fast casting like that other debuff we have that is good for interupting on a single target.

The level 30 song I took was Jonthan's (Jonathan's?) Mobilization of Arms. As the other poster above said......THIS SONG IS AWESOME. I took it mainly because i saw it buffed a ton of things but when I saw it say it boosted run speed outside of combat I didnt have to read anymore. I highly recommend this one to anyone who has not picked your level 30 one yet. The run speed buff part of it is definetly faster then Pathfinding. Plus it buffs like 5 other stats or something. The speed increase as the other postere said falls somewhere between Pathfinding and Sprint. I believe also that pathfinding JMoA stack although I didnt really get to test this. I could almost care less about hte other 2 as this one made my night.
  18. ARCHIVED-shatazer Guest

Jonthan's Mobilization of Arms and Pathfinding do indeed stack and the speed increase is pretty amazing. I almost feel like a bard of old again.
  19. ARCHIVED-Laureous Guest

As an ogre dirge, my main concern pre-patch was how fast I was going through power whenever I went full out on styles. Post-patch I ended up with an additional +200 or so power and ended up with some added hit points due to ogre racial selections I made.
  20. ARCHIVED-Meadsong Guest

I'm glad I didn't get straight on after the patch and thus, thanks to you all, could benefit from your feedback. I decided to go with Root and Aoe, like Tekkor. Did a brief test of the AoE and am suprisingly impressed with the results - my old AoE (app3) does about 66-68 the new one is 85's and because of the faster cast time and possible interupts is a marked improvement in my arsenal. I'm hoping the root will save my butt occasionally too on some of my infamous dodgy soloing judgements.

I kept all of my original traits and the extra one which I missed, and two more weopon mastery's were just icing on the cake. I'm happy. Despite Lanets.