Dirge cant out DPS a Tank?

Discussion in 'Dirge' started by ARCHIVED-Siclone, Feb 26, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Siclone Guest

[p]there is a long thread on the combat section that says that SK, berkers, and Pallies own Dirges when it goes to DPS....I could not belive this and it did not sound right but.....[/p][p]Everyone seems to agree with this, putting Dirges at the bottom[/p][p]So my question is this, [/p][p]Why play a Dirge, if they cant tank, cant dps and cant heal? Your going to work a toon just to buff others?[/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Draggoz Guest

[p]You must be referring to the thread that is writen by a bunch of ******* idiots. If a dirge is placed in the hands of a skilled player they can out DPS any tank with the exception of zerker/brawler. I have no problem breaking 1k on a parse and am only sitting behind the classes that can do 2-3k dps.[/p][p]What you need to do is take that post out of your history and never think of it again.[/p]
  3. ARCHIVED-DarkVillian Guest

[p]Well to be quite honest there is a ton of information on dirges in a lot of posts on what Dirges do, how they impact groups, and raids. [/p][p] The short and sweet answer...We make others look better. We makes tanks hold agro better, make melee dps dps better, not to mention we make the healers jobs easier by rezzing fallen raiders or group members alike. We can life transfer heal for roughly 3k over 10 seconds. Have some of the best Debuffs available. Oh, and we have a nice manasong. We can interrupt Epics too...[/p][p] Not too bad...[/p][p] A dirge is not a tank, we are not dps, we are not a healer. But we are utility. Honestly, dirges can parse over 1k, not a problem. In the MT group or Melee group its not difficult. Masters help, fabled works even better. Pallys spec'd right are insance AE dmg. Zerkers...Insane AE dmg and buckler spec are very mean. SK's are designed to be mean dps...Hell, my guilds Guard can parse over 1500+[/p][p] All in what you make yoru bard :-D[/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-Antryg Mistrose Guest

Yes, tanks can easily outdps dirges. However that doesn't take into account 2 things: 1) The tank, especially in a raid, but even in groups, is often given more/better buffs from everyone else 2) The dps that a bard or enchanter brings, is generally for others, not for themselves. When my troubadour was a dirge (ie prior to last week), it had NEVER, not once ever, parsed higher than my SK, so I don't think that thread is far wrong. The SK though, brings stuff all to the rest of the group if not tanking.
  5. ARCHIVED-Kall Guest

The 2 things that tanks have over us are self critical hits (through AAs) and an offensive stance. With some of the top end weapons in the game, especially 1h tank weapons since most are 3-4s delay with a huge damage spread, crit hits become a really big deal and we lose a lot of DPS by having a lower crit based % than any other class in the game (besides maybe druids).
  6. ARCHIVED-Priestbane Guest

[p]Wardens at least (I'm less familiar with Furies) can get high crit chances as well, for melee, spells, and/or heals. (50%+)[/p][p] [/p][p](re: druids)[/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-ravenscale Guest

[p] ok to those who say they can parse 1k easy your not the average dirge (im in that class, i wouldent say its easy but i do it consistant enough)[/p][p]the average dirge who doesent know all then ins and outs of maxing out there dmg as a dirge seems to average about 400-600 dps[/p][p]a tank of any sort and some healers can out parse that with more ease and thats where the info comes from the average dirge will be out parsed by alot of the classes most the time... at least till lu 32 and then it will be we will have to see. but for those who know how are not out parsed by all tanks unless the are AA speced not to tank but to dps with the exception of pallies who shouldent be out parsing even an average dirge[/p][p]ps. we do heal just a life transfer not that great but helps alot in a pinch[/p]
  8. ARCHIVED-Mildavyn Guest

[p]How much of that Shadowknight's damage is diesase based though? What? Over half of it? And what is is that Dirges debuff? thats right, 2.5k Disease resists, and another 700 (i think) to everything ontop of that. Also, Dirges add DPS mod, adding more damage to every physical damage hit, again, increasing the SKs damage.[/p][p]I've not done it with a dirge and SKs, but i DID do a couple (6) fights with my troub and an illusionist. Basically the buffs and debuffs from my troub added over 300 DPS to that illusionist. Ive done it with a necro now too, over 13% of that necro's total damage over the course of a raid was from my 2 spell procs alone, now add all the other mages in the group who were also getting added DPS from those procs and you have just added almost 1500 DPS to my troub without even factoring in the STR/STA buff for their pets, the +haste for the melee classes, Jester's cap rotating through classes to reduce re-cast etc... how many Wizards would like to cast ice nova/fusion more often? how many assasins want decap to refresh faster? etc.[/p][p]In short Bards in general, and Dirges in specific bring a whole lot of DPS to a raid, they just dont get credit for most of it.[/p]
  9. ARCHIVED-Kyrsten Guest

That is actually exactly the reason why I play a dirge. Dirges are a *SUPPORT* class. I do really wish that more people would understand this, and accept it, and stop hoping the class to be something it is not. Want to top the parse? If yes, then dirge is not for you, and you should play a dps class. That's not to say a dirge can't do respectable dps, but as I mentioned earlier, we are a support class. Want to make that group of average players you're with look like they've been playing for years? Want to re-roll the dice when the odds are against your group - quick! Resurect the priest, start Cacophony of Blades and heal the tank! Want to then laugh as the mob dies while the priest waits for power to rebuff? Want to make a group of good players damned near unstoppable? Then play a dirge. 8)
  10. ARCHIVED-Ellrin Guest

Murrcury@Crushbone wrote:
    Hello! I would have to take issue with this ....400 dps? thats really awful for any Dirge even a below average one. I think my highest dps is about 1200 and I average (even being an MT group Dirge) about 700dps throughout a raid and dont forget those numbers are effected by having to in combat rez.
  11. ARCHIVED-Wilko1981 Guest

[face="trebuchet ms,geneva"]Couldn't agree more[/face]
  12. ARCHIVED-Sir_Halbarad Guest

I have to agree from a Main Tank perspective. A Dirge isn't a dps class - although he can absolutely contribute to the raid dps with his own damage. But having to raid when our only dirge is missing (unfortunately we only have one :( ) I really see the difference. Bria's, Percussion of Stone, Hyran's, Riana's and Boon (or whatever the encounter needs for conc slot 5) is a wonderful addition to my survivability and to my dps - and my dps is a huge part of my aggro, which is a huge part of how high the raid dps can go without aggro problems. There you have the Dirge in the MT grp. A Dirge anywhere in the Raid can debuff wonderfully... Mitigation, DPS, Haste, Disease Resist, STR+AGI (if no Troub is around). And then you have the Dirge in the melee dps grp... even better... I like the class so much I started levelling one myself for the Raids that can be tanked by our Off Tank and where we miss a Dirge. For me, the Dirge is a wonderful class. Even if it could use some love. Self Buff Conc, run speed, overall damage etc. But what the Dirge brings to a Raid is hard to match by many other classes. I would take a Dirge (or 2) to every Raid I lead, even if the SK, the Pally or the Zerker can parse 200-400 higher. /drops 2 cp Hal
  13. ARCHIVED-Jalek Guest

Just remember when comparing any parses between dirges you have to consider the entire raids performance. A raid force with 20k raid DPS and a raid with 9k raid DPS will be considerably different and a dirge with 1k+ personal zonewide dps in a 9k raid dps setup would be a miracle.
  14. ARCHIVED-Farzmek Guest

[p]As said before, we're jack's of all trades, and masters of none.[/p][p]That being said, we make everyone else look really really good at what they do.[/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-ravenscale Guest

Elrin@Guk wrote:
    then i dont consider you an "avearge dirge go look at the ones that are complaining alot about there dps vs the # that dont and youll see most are in the 400-600 range this is just based off what ive read on bords man no need for you to take offence as what id see an above average dps dirge
  16. ARCHIVED-DUNN Guest

I know I have dps above 800 before but that was s due to me having buffs that usually go to others. In order for a dirge to DPS that high means that another class that would Dps even higher is not getting the buffs. Yeah we can get 1k dps but another melee class with those same buffs puts us to shame. Stop thinking we are dps because that 1k you are reaching is nothing to 2-2.5k others can while melee wuiththe same buffs.
  17. ARCHIVED-Frodex Guest

In the main tank group I push around 600-900 (900 being a few good shots here and there) but of course in the zone wide I push around 500-600 due to ressing and of course other reasons here and there. If your pushing 1k zone wide I would love to know some secrets to help me out.
  18. ARCHIVED-DarkVillian Guest

Zing from left field...Who said we had buffs that were useful for other classes applied? Last night in HoS in a mostly scout group with offensive buffs up All the scouts in my group Parse 1600-2000k+ and I parsed continually 1k+ trash and Named alike. Not impossible, takes common sense with what to cast when, and staying on top of your CA's.
  19. ARCHIVED-DUNN Guest

Nice avg. 1k What buffs did you and your group have? I know the group I am in reach those numbers but me; I stay at around 800 pushing it with no mistakes or pauses to search for dead people. Still not better than the sk or Zerker in the group with my buffs. The fact that I have buffs that were meant for others doesn't mean that I applied them myself. Zing right back from left field.....
  20. ARCHIVED-TheSummoned Guest

Took a look at your character info and here's what I'd add/get rid off: Belt: Bone-Clasped Girdle - A must for every bard and not hard to acquire. Ear: Mystical Orb of the Invoker, Ivy-Shrouded Earring of Tunare or Relic Hunter's Solitaire. Ring: Pristine Acrylia band of Strengh instead of Dragonscale. You can always switch it out if you need/want resists. And now the most important thing: Weapons: Windrazor is total crap as a weapon. Only cool thing is the pets, which are short of a fluff then actually useful. Practically every fabled weapon, bar axe from Malkonis, is better then Windrazor so snag it when you have the chance. You can always switch to a sword for turnstrike which, believe me, you won't miss much. Here's a simple thing you can do until then. Switch Dirk and Windrazor.