Devastation Upgrade!!!!

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Sevman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Worrick Guest

And why exactly can't they upgrade the 50 spells? You mention Ice comet, it can do around 4-5k damage quite an impressive nuke, what makes you think they can't upgrade it? Currently the level cap is 60 with plans on it eventually getting up to 200, 4-5k is good now but by level 200 you think they won't have stronger spells. 5k will likely be meaningless in the higher levels. Saying they won't upgrade our nice level 50 spells because they'd be too strong can easily be countered by if they don't upgrade them it'll be far too weak. And yes the level 35 spells have no upgrades, they are not part of the reguler progression, they were special spells introduced in the middle of the leveling scheme during an adventure pack. If you noticed there was also a spell added in with the splitpaw adventure pack, and that one is part of a spell line that upgrades.
    If they don't upgrade devastation then the upgrade to the absolution line will out stripe it in damage and usefullness. As well as every otehr AE line as the level cap increases. If it had some type of unique effect then maybe I could see them not upgradeing, but that is not the case. The bloodlines spells did soemthign new thats why they are still sued. Devastation does AE damage, thats all, if it dosen't get upgraded or replaced with a new AE line then our relative DPS goes down.
    You have no official information at all to back up your claim that they won't be upgraded, all you have is your own guess you are passing off as a fact. Your welcome to your own opinion, but don't act like yours is the only one that can be correct.
  2. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Whether you like to believe it or not Devastation is not part of your regular spell progression, oh and it also does a unique stun don't forget, your logic is flawed, your DPS wont go down cuz your bonus class defining spell didn't get upgraded, you will get a *NEW* AoE but you will still be using devastation! That's more DPS not less, 2 spells > 1.
    Like I said, if you get a devastation upgrade they will have to upgrade every other classes 'special' lvl 50 spell, and I'd like to see them do that without overpowering PC's, that's why I am pretty sure its not just my opinion, its game mechanics.
  3. ARCHIVED-NG23985_01 Guest

All spells except the Splitpaw spell and Concussive (which scale) get upgraded. Ice Flame also does not get upgraded because its a special case spell, but otherwise, all non-scaling spells upgrade every 14 levels. (Except in T1/2, they're a little messy there, but its necessary to get upgrades sooner than 14 lvls since you outgrow them so fast in the low lvls)

Following the 14 level rule, and the rule that all spells that dont scale get upgraded (again, except Ice Flame), its possible to predict what spells we'll get in KoS. It is not possible, however, to predict brand new spells. I used some generic spell line names in this, sorry if its confusing.

61: Boon of the Shadowed, Cower, Endow Energy
    62: Absolution, Netheros
    63: Gift of the Magi, Aura of Emptiness
    64: Dark Nebula, Devastation
    65: Distortion
    66: Pillaging, Shadowed Pyre, Vulian Interference, Dark Infestation
    67: Curse (HP/Power), Venomous Runes
    68: Dark Seal, Bony Grasp
    69: Grisly Contract, Anarchic Maelstrom, Null Caress (possibly NC wont be upgraded since there's nothing to upgrade, unless its stun or snare duration)
    70: Curse (STR/INT), Boundless Fury

In addition to those upgrades, we should get 3 or 4 brand new spells. I don't know why you're insisting that we wont get an upgrade to Devastation, OperationsX, but since it does not scale with level, and is upgradable by quality (Ad1, 3, M1, ect) it will be upgraded at level 64. I am 100% certain.

Every tier grants a couple of new spell lines, and Devastation is no exception.
    New spells by tier:
    T3: Absolution, Nihilism, Distortion, Pillaging, both Curses, Aura
    T4: Abhorrent Gift, Endow Energy
    T5: Bony Grasp, Devastation, Netheros
    T6: Dark Infestation, Null Caress, Netherous Realm

I don't know if we'll get Devastation2.0 as one of our M2 choices at 64, but we will definately get Devastation2.0 at level 64.
  4. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

If you *DO* get a devastation upgrade it will not follow the 14 level progression and it will probably be a different designed spell, Devastation was your 'grats on hitting the big five zero' spell, everyone gets one, I'm tired of repeating lets just see what happens.
    Also as a note I dont like this pattern, I do hope devastation gets upgraded, along with ice comet, blazing presence and everyone elses special 50 spells, mainly because i'm running out of hotbar space for all these dang new spells - if I'm right most will have to bust out hotbar # 4. Having a milllion spells is kinda annoying.
    Also as another note, I am not trying to 'bring down teh warlock here' or troll on their best spell, don't get me wrong, I'd love to see you guys get REALLY awesome loving in the expansion that will once again put you in that #1 damage spot where you should be, you guys need some sick **new** AEs and spells that will do that, but devastation 2.0 wont be one of them, this SHOULD be a good thing, wouldn't you rather still be using devastation and have a new AE instead of just a new devastation?? You would think ..jez.
    Message Edited by OperationsX on 01-28-200609:29 AM
  5. ARCHIVED-Dabbie Guest

Just out of curiosity, do you even play a high lvl warlock?
  6. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

This isn't about what class I play, infact its about spell progression, and being a former hardcore sage for over a year I know my share about spells, thanks for asking though.
    Like I said time and time again, you get devastation upgrade , I want Blazing Presence upgrade, Wizards want Ice Comet upgrade, ect ect and so on. I don't get BP upgrade, you don't get dev upgrade, wizard doesn't get ice comet upgrade, call me crazy but thems spell mechanics Jack.
    Message Edited by OperationsX on 01-29-200608:04 PM
  7. ARCHIVED-Dabbie Guest

No one said other classes couldn't get upgrades. I'm all for Ice Comet upgrade and all the other classes. Wizards probably need it more than warlocks do. And... this is, of course, the warlock forum... perhaps adament posts shouldn't be made unless the class is fully understood? At any rate, I'm shelving this thread, since it's pointless til the NDA is lifted.
  8. ARCHIVED-Korpo Guest

Knowing how basic game mechanics work has nothing to do with knowing a specific class.
  9. ARCHIVED-Sevman Guest

I just found out the answer to my initial question but wont post the answer due to NDA violations. Im not in beta but no someone who is - just ask someone in beta.
  10. ARCHIVED-d24e Guest

Yeah, I'm not in Beta but I heard it gets upgraded to Apocalypse.
    But until I see it for myself, don't take my word on it.
  11. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

Like others have said, you're going to get more powerful spells that *are not* on the devastation progression track. You might get a spell at 70 that does something completely different, but better than Devastation ( which I doubt, as that spell just dominates everything other spell and combat art in the game). Also, Wizards, Warlocks, and Wardens get group root, so there's nothing class specific there...ours even does less than the other two.
  12. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Thank you Korpo and Crono and no I have been the only one constantly saying this, glad someone with basic knowledge of game/spell mechanics finally chimed in :smileytongue:
  13. ARCHIVED-md13476 Guest

Actually, I wish we would get totally different spells every level. I have a whole book full of spells I dont use because they are useless to me unless I mentor. Now that spells will scale when you mentor, I will never see those lower level spells again. I don't like the 14 level progression and like I said, I would like to see more variety in spells, maybe more debuffs or buffs, or even evac maybe? Sure Devastation is a great spell but it's not the only one we have. I use almost all of my T6 spells during combat, and am pretty happy with the damage we do. (although I dont understand why conjurers DPS is so high).
    I would like to see the old spells scale up with levels instead of having a whole book full of useless spells and just creating a new version of the same old spell. Give me something different!
  14. ARCHIVED-Korpo Guest

The problem with giving totally new spells all the time is that eventually you'll have everything. For example, instead of getting 5 versions of Nox Bolt, if we got evac and a run speed increase and a single target debuff and a hate reducer, what are we going to get for the extra versions of Nil Abs? Nil Dist? I suppose everyone could just get less spells, like only one per level, but you'd still have 60 spells on your bar. That's a lot of spells.
  15. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Well I guess I can officially eat my words, you got devastation upgraded, not in the traditional 14 level progression since I am still right that its a 'special' class defining level 50 spell, but you get it upgraded at level 70, along with Conjurors get Blazing presence upgraded at lvl 70 and Wizards Ice comet upgrade, ect ect.
    So no, I guess its wise to avoid spending your life fortune on that Devastation Master I. I was shut up, and proven wrong - hey it happens.
    Don't ask me for stats either, I'm not in beta. Someone posted it in beta oh wait and I guess here too nice lol
    Message Edited by OperationsX on 02-11-200604:35 PM
  16. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Oh but I still told you all that ancients wouldn't get upgraded - still get in the last words HA
  17. ARCHIVED-Senen74 Guest

Next expansion they will when we go from 71-80 *)
  18. ARCHIVED-NG23985_01 Guest

I bet the only reason Apocalypse comes at Level 70 (as opposed to the standard 14 level rule, level 64) is because lots of people (myself included) complained that there was no good spell at Level 60 to look foward to. So instead of giving these important class-unique spells at 64, they bumped them up to 70. A bad decision, IMO. :|
  19. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Good decision, now spell/skill makers can still make some money off em from the T7 crowd, unless you like going through all the levels just to avoid spending a little less than a plat on Adept III of those unique spells for some stupid reason.
    And Good decision on ancients, some people spent alot of time/money on those scrolls to be able to make em.
    Message Edited by OperationsX on 02-12-200606:45 AM
  20. ARCHIVED-NG23985_01 Guest

What in the world do you mean by "spell/skill makers can still make some money off em from the T7 crowd, unless you like going through all the levels just to avoid spending a little less than a plat on Adept III of those unique spells for some stupid reason" ?

I'm a Sage, so I make all of my own spells at fuel-cost-only anyway, and I've got 80 plat in the bank so its not like I cant afford the rares (although I will avoid buying rares right after KOS is out until the prices fall down to something realistic instead of 30p per). I think it was irresponsible to make the old L50 class spells wait to upgrade until level 70. Devastation is already feeling quite weak at level 60, what's it going to be like at 69? And by the way, every single one of my damage spells is Adept 3 or Master 1. I've invested quite a bit of time and money into acquiring all of them. The only spells I dont have Ad3/M1 are those silly Curse spells, Pillaging, that worthless buff Seal of Ebon Thought, and a couple of scattered others that I rarely use. (like Virulent Grasp line)

EDIT: Added following paragraph...

Oh yea, do you know how much Rubies cost on Befallen right now? They're ridiculously cheap - everyone and their brother seems to have all the old T5 spells at Adept 3 already. So even though lots of new people will fly through the 60's and might be tempted to skip getting their T5 spells adept 3, once they find out they need to wait til 70, its not like Rubies are expensive anymore anyway... Since the T7 rare will be the same, regardless of wether the "unique" spells are level 64 or level 70, that wont impact the market any either.
    Message Edited by NG23985_01 on 02-13-200602:39 AM