Devastation Upgrade!!!!

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Sevman, Jan 23, 2006.

1. ARCHIVED-Sevman Guest

Just wanted to reiterate that Devastation needs to be upgraded in the next patch. I was taking it for granted that It was with spells every 14 levels in all BUT Devasation never had a predecessor and was just the lvl 50 spell.

In fact, im thinking I would like it if they made it a LVL 70 spell with ridiculous stats and not some 25-30% upgrade at lvl 64. And at least make it more than 5 enemies.

I think this would fix the problem of us having some weak Corrupt gift like spell. As it is right now with spells every 14 levels once we hit the "Coveted" lvl 70 we will get ........tada... Curse of Nothingness update.

Now wouldnt you really want your best spell at lvl 70 as a big reward and goal. Some who dont level fast might disagree but just my thoughts.
  2. ARCHIVED-D-lirium Guest

Next patch? You mean next expansion pack I guess?

I don't agree with you btw and think Devastation's upgrade should follow the same cycle other spells get so it gets an upgrade at 64, another plus-side to that it gets yet another upgrade in next expansion. Oh, and you do know Devastation already hits more than 5 targets I hope? (since you ask so specifically for that).

Anyway, I don't think what you or I want will mean anything, the developers will implement the upgrade to Devastation (if there is one) as they see fit. There's a whole lot of other class defining spells from other classes that would have to follow the same way and that might imbalance combat alot...
  3. ARCHIVED-Geoff77 Guest

Actually, Curse of Nothingness is a very important spell, that Cast every 90 seconds against every single named on a raid...

I truly hope they keep to the 14 level progression, as we bit the bullet on the last expansion, as three of our bread and butter spells were not upgraded. We should reap the rewards on the next two...
  4. ARCHIVED-Araxes Guest

The curse spells are actually quite useful.

As for an upgrade to Devastation - no doubt it will be the one for which you can choose the M2 upgrade at level 64. If not that then it may get an upgrade to its spell line somewhere between 60-70.

Personally I'd rather see entirely new spells rather than more upgrades - but that's just me. I never liked the spell line / upgrade system to begin with.
  5. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

You shoulda been smart and predicted this, spells only get upgraded if they had had versions of the previous tier. Do you see something like devastation in T4? T3? T2? Thanks.
    Also wizards could make a post and say OMG Ice Comet Upgrade!!! We need it!
    Conjurors could say OMG Blazing Presence Upgrade, WE need it!
    Furies could say OMG porcupine upgrade , we NEED it!
    I think you get my point, I'm glad not EVERYTHING is made obsolete with a new expansion (5 months later!!) , raiders and crafters are already complaining about their stuff they finally got in T6 being worthless, you don't need to make the problem worse. So get those spells ad3 / master cuz they will most likely never be replaced till maybe lvl 100 or something, and then it would probably be something entirely different. Drive through plz, thanks.
    Message Edited by OperationsX on 01-24-200602:54 PM
  6. ARCHIVED-Geoff77 Guest

Well there was no previous tier of the level 40 Bony Grasp either, yet it was upgraded. Without a knowledge of the subject you're discussing, I'd refrain from inferring other people are lacking. Thanks

P.S. I'd be willing to bet there willl be an upgrade to Devastation. The only question in my mind is if the level gained will be 64, or level 70.
    Message Edited by Geoff77 on 01-25-200602:12 AM
    Message Edited by Geoff77 on 01-25-200602:12 AM
  7. ARCHIVED-MugnMobs Guest

Outside of the first couple of tiers (cause spells get upgraded frequently there), all spells are upgraded every 14 levels. However, all classes get new skills that that didn't have previously. For example, at 40 warlocks got bony grasp, at 50 we got devestation, at 52 we got dark infestation, at 55 we got null carress, at 58 we got nertherous realm. All of these are new spell lines that we didn't have before, but I suspect they will all get upgraded in 14 level increments.
    It's not a 10 level cycle so you're not going to get an upgrade every tier (look at the absolution line -- 20, 34, 48, probably 62).
    Here is a chart that shows ranger skills and is a great visual tool to see spell progressions and the fact that we get new spell lines as you level up. The person that put this together has done it for many classes, but unfortunately not for warlocks.
    http://whisperlands.homedns.org:336/Games/EQ2/ranger-skilltable-screenshots.html
  8. ARCHIVED-Crono1321 Guest

I seriously doubt Devastation will be upgraded, as it is our "special spell"; there was nothing before level 50 and there will be nothing after level 50. You are always learning new spell lines, healers don't get their other emergency heal until they get to their low 40's, same with their Divine Intervention line...
  9. ARCHIVED-VeraIkonica Guest

From what I hear..not gonna say where I hear it from.....the next tier of upgrades is completely different from all other tiers. The spell advancement system is more like the special training system where each advancement you get to choose one out of a few different spells.
  10. ARCHIVED-D-lirium Guest

Message Edited by D-lirium on 01-29-200602:40 AM
  11. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Exactly, and to above poster those are called 'ancient' spells, of course they are new, and they wont be upgraded either. and to above above poster Bony grasp is T5, so its upgrading in T6 still follows what I have said.
    If you think I don't know what I"m talking about go research the following specials spells, look for a lower version you wont find anything like it, its a "special" 50 spell that wont ever be upgraded.
    Devastation -warlock
    Blazing Presence -conjuror
    Porcupine - Fury
    Ice comet - wizard
    Heirophantic genesis - warden
    Color Shower - Illusionist
    Lich -Necromancer
    My god if you dont get the point then I'm sorry, but its common sense. But go right ahead, look for these in the next level increase to 80, you wont find upgrades to em.

Message Edited by OperationsX on 01-25-200603:04 PM
  12. ARCHIVED-Geoff77 Guest

what are you basing your intel on? Bony Grasp was a "special" level 40 spell, and it was upgraded.... You have absolutely not basis for your opinion. It's not common sense... It's pure speculation on your part.
    Message Edited by Geoff77 on 01-26-200612:13 AM
  13. ARCHIVED-Dabbie Guest

So... what some people are saying here is that since Devastation was new at lvl 50, it's just going to gray out and that's that? I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that a class defining spell is going to become useless. I'm sure there will be an upgrade. As to how much of an upgrade, that is arguable. Could be only 100 points of damage or something. At any rate, it's no use speculating until we can see the new spell line up.
  14. ARCHIVED-Shelywen Guest

Hmm it would be pretty nice if there will be an update for devastation but i also think that there wont be an update.... hihi we got many damage spells and this is not the onliest one... cool down dudes ;)
  15. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Bony grasp is not a 'special' level 40 spell, there is no special class defining, one time, no upgrades up or down spells *that can be upgraded* besides the lvl 50 ones and ancients that were introduced. Bony grasp was an addition, just like we all got, in the great combat revamp, nothing special about it only that it didn't exist before hand, like Truss for wizards (which probably will get upgraded as well)
    Mark my words, all 'special' level 50 spells like I just mentioned there will most likely never get upgraded, if it would be it would be lvl 100. Its 'common sense' to point out things that wont be upgraded. Like clerics special 55 immunity spell - what would you need an upgrade for that for?
    The only thing im speculating is that ancient spells that are below the planned 14 level increase (52,55) probably wont get upgraded, or at least I am hoping, but mark my words, lvl 50 class defining spells wont get upgraded in KoS or beyond.
  16. ARCHIVED-Dabbie Guest

If there isn't an upgrade for Devastation, how it is at the moment, the spell will gray out at lvl 64 and become useless at 70. How would this spell again be used until lvl 100? it doesn't scale. We would just lose that entire spell line. So you're basically saying, lets look forward to being even suckier dps since we'll only have 3 aoes.

And no, I for one don't think your logic is "obvious".

Just wait until they release the spell list. There really is no point in getting into a war over something that will shortly be verified or torn down.
  17. ARCHIVED-pharacyde Guest

It's not because a spell is grey that you can not use it ... On my ranger i still use cheap shot which is a lvl 6 stun to solo. I never got an upgrade for that and it still works fine on mobs around my level.
    Message Edited by pharacyde on 01-27-200608:01 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Dajuuk Guest

No its because of the flawed max damage implementation that a spell becomes useless. Devestation will continue to do less and less damage each level we go up by the time we reach 70 it would still be worth casting, but only because of the down time between casts of the other AOE's. It certainly won't be anything special anymore. Not that a spell 20 levels old should be impressive to equal level mobs. If its not upgraded Devestation will just be an AOE version of ice flame. Something still worth casting but only in between the really useful spells and since to date it is our single best and most useful damage spell if all we get are upgrades to our current lines we will fall further behind the dps curve then we already are.
    Personally though I don't want to be a poison version of a wizard. I would really love to see us go more of our own direction. When I picked warlock I was envisioning something more like the eq1 necro without a pet. I would like to see more aoe dots and more dots in general. A mix of fast ticing high damage short duration ones, with some slower ticking lower damage but really long duration ones would be great and really help fill some gaps in our over all line up especially in those long fight raid situations. I would love to see is get a direct cast fear spell rather than something that procs off of root. The eq1 necro's dot/snare line would fit in perfectly with the roleplaying dark aspects of the warlock. Some kind of buff that slowly drains our health and replaces it with mana and a life tap to off set it would be nice. Feign death with a 3 second cast time would really help out too. I would really love to see all of our debuffs be spreadable to other npc's in the encounter. It would be nice to only have to cast them once on a raid and have the infection spread to the rest of the encounter and stay up.
    I agree that there are a lot of cool differant directions that they can take this class in the next expansion that don't involve upgrading devestation. However, without something else cool to replace it seeing devestation continue to get nerfed with every ding is gonna be kinda sad. I think that warlocks are one of the most interesting and fun classes to play with alot of unique roleplaying aspects.
  19. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Moorguard already stated they are aware of the int scaling thing and are going to try to fix it, no ETA, so don't just use that and the fact that its gray (Hmm I still use Swarm of Bats, lvl 35 special subclass defining spell as it wasn't upgraded ever either and its not useless)
    So what your basically saying is because of a scaling bug and the fact it will gray out you should get an upgrade to devastation? Ok fine, I want my Blazing Presence upgrade and wizards would like their Ice comet upgrade too, can't have something without others following the same mechanics.
    The way I'm saying, and will most likely be the way its gonna be unless they change design and consept (Possible, they love doing major changes to 'the way its suppose to be' type of things) will make it so you actually have MORE AE spells to use, instead of just using a devastation upgrade, you will use devastation with a NEW AoE line. How does that equate to less AE's?!
    So yes, it is logic - sorry again if you dont' see it.
  20. ARCHIVED-OperationsX Guest

Deleted: PM
    Message Edited by OperationsX on 01-27-200602:55 PM