Devastation Fist Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-Almeric_CoS, Aug 13, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Drussnaga Guest

That looks pretty good. I'd hate to be a dev looking after the balance between the various classes in this game. I for one am grateful that whoever decided to upgrade this spell has put some thought into it and given us this result. I'm sure with RoK coming out soon, you have more pressing issues to attend to than revamping fluff spells from an adventure pack. Thanks for taking the time upgrade this one.
  2. ARCHIVED-mattmandude Guest

I went on to the test server and did a /feeback saying that I'm appreciative of the upgrade, but think the damage applied to epics needs to be increased.

Something I also noticed is that there is no longer a pvp tag on devastation fists... I think they may have deleted the 80% damage done to pets.
  3. ARCHIVED-Bladewind Guest

Is anyone else getting a stifle even if dev fist fails to land? I've only tried it a couple of times so far today, but it seems like I am now getting the stifle even if the art gets resisted. No dev fist damage and a 10 second stifle puts a healthy dent into the dps :p
  4. ARCHIVED-BChizzle Guest

Bladewind wrote:
    No when it misses a regular heroic no stifle but if I hit a heroic named there is no 25% damage bonus and it stifles.
  5. ARCHIVED-LTrav2k Guest

BChizzle wrote:
    I noticed that too... I think what's happening is that the punch itself will hit and causes the stifle, but the devastation spell itself is resisted. That leaves us stifled and has DF deal a measly 100 - 200 damage. I was hoping that if the punch connected the effect couldn't be resisted, but after running through nest and achadechism... I've been corrected about my hopes.
  6. ARCHIVED-Xanrn Guest

It doesn't work on alot of nameds, "this combat art can't be used on this target" blah blah.
    Utterly uselss frigging upgrade.
  7. ARCHIVED-Morrolan V Guest

I'm glad to have this upgrade, limited though it may be.
    To the point that it misses a lot - it does miss a LOT, particularly against names.
    It seems to me that it would be logical to put an adept III upgrade for the spell into the game. Many other bloodlines spells have them. It didn't really make sense when it was solo mobs only, but with it's current version, a quality upgrade would make sense.
  8. ARCHIVED-Chojin Guest

Was helping some friends in MMC last night, and I got to test this out numerous times against heroics, and I must say I really, really like the change. I am not going to say anything more...
  9. ARCHIVED-Chojin Guest

One last thing, why does the skill not working on certain nameds make it "utterly useless"? It didnt work on any nameds at all before, period. It works on most now, so why is that not a good thing?

Do you just like to [I cannot control my vocabulary] and moan? It is hitting for 11k+ occasionally on some ^^^ heroics now, at at least 4-5k on a regular basis, and you are [I cannot control my vocabulary] about it?

Some people just can't be satisfied. I am disappointed in some of you. I know most of you didn't use this skill at all before the change. What would you like it to do, insta'kill Epics or something? Jesus...
  10. ARCHIVED-couching Guest

Who the ******* care about heroic mobs? OK, you like it, good. It's none of my business.

Most raiding monks are not satisfied since it's utterly useless in raid. We don't care you can hit 11k on heroic or not.
    What we care is about epic mobs.
  11. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

Chojin wrote:
    Rrright... No one has claimed that the DF is not good against heroics. But then I personally dont kill that many heroic mobs anymore.

Also the devs contradicted themselves. They clearly stated that they cannot upgrade brawler because they think that brawlers are already too good on solo and group content and any upgrades on raids would improve brawlers too much. Then they pull out crap like this. DF change improved brawler soloing and grouping capability by significant amount. But there was no improvement on raids. So they said brawlers are too good on one part and then improved it even further. They also said that on raids brawlers could use some help and then they made a change that did absolutely nothing to brawlers in raids.

So this change is utter BS, either they need to remove the ******* stun from Devastation Fist when it is used against epics, or then the damage it does should be 10k+ against them. Till they do that, I wont be doing anything else but complaining.
  12. ARCHIVED-githyanki Guest

I personally kinda don't mind the stun component on it. I'm so used to being the beaten dog class that anything that makes me feel important i'll take. I don't have access to the parse from mmc last night but we where doing sod stuff in there and past the epic area toward by where that secret room is...... Yeah i hit a mob with DF and felt like an assasin with decapitate. I won't say how much it hit for (cower from the nerf bat) but with a dirge in the group and after our defense debuff....yeah it makes a difference... I'm on the butcherblock server so please feel free to look me up and hit me with a pm or tell in game if you see me on.
  13. ARCHIVED-Timaarit Guest

Well why not say it?

My highest hits so far are about 25k on a non heroic in CMM, 13k on heroic in New Tunaria 31k against a heroic add of Treah Greenroot in EH (counted as 7% of all my damage...) and 6k on an epic in MMIS.

So again the devs made a change that totally contradicts what they have said that they would do, which is to not to improve monk solo/group ability but to improve monks raiding ability. This change made us much better at soloing and grouping but it gave nothing for raiding.

For raids, this skill currently counts as 1-1,5% of my zonewide DPS. As it is, I have often missed 4 to 5 CA's due to using this skill so unless I have a heroic add to hit, I will not use it. I have also been running OOP on a few occasions when we have been pulling fast and I have used DF.
  14. ARCHIVED-Nerill Guest

Just take the stifle off of it !

That's all.

Just remove the stifle.

If need be .... increase the reuse timer to 5 minutes ..... but just remove the stifle.

Simple.

Please ..... remove the stifle.

Lots of classes get a huge single hit CA or spells without a stifle.

Even Inquisitors get verdict and they are healers.
  15. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

I got a 32,000 hit on the young dragon for tink bag heritage. The stiffle kinda sucks, but if you put it at the end of your CA progression you really don't miss much. I've had some lame hits for around 100 that i didn't understand. And I seem to miss way more than I used to. Personally, I'd like to see the stiffle reduced to 7 or 8 seconds. Or make spell quality levels that reduce the stiffle. And overall, dmg for tougher mobs is kinda weak considering the penalties involved. As it is, it's pretty much fluff. It comes in handy soloing, and can be fun in groups one shotting mobs or finishing off a tough mob in one blow near the final push.
  16. ARCHIVED-Balkor_Bloodbath Guest

My best hit is 61k on Garnel in Unrest

Biggest issue, it gets resisted by just about EVERYTHING, I honestly went about 6 hrs using DF everytime it refreshed before it actually worked against a Blue con mob at 70.
  17. ARCHIVED-shaolen Guest

Xanrn wrote:
    Yep, plus even though you get the message that it cant be used against your current target you still get stifled as if it landed. Have they said why it wont land against some targets?
  18. ARCHIVED-x0rtrunks Guest

Almost as bad is landing it, but only hitting for ~200. what's the point? If it's going to have such a high penalty and miss percentage, it should at least be a consistently big hit. At least 1000 hp to make it as good as a good hit with one of our other high dmg CAs that have no penalty at all. I will say though, it has come in handy soloing and grouping when it does land. A big hit like that at the right time in a fight can mean the difference between success and failure. I'd just like to see it be a bit more consistent in the way that it works.
  19. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

You know 99% of the issues with the Monk are things that really need to be looked at but no doubt this is that 1%. Sure it should be fixed so it works on ALL heroic mobs and shouldn't stifle if it misses but other then that I don't see WTF you guys are ******** about. This skill went from completely useless to atleast helpful. What did you guys expect from it?

I solo, I group and I raid and I find this skill useful in all 3 aspects. Would it be nice if it didn't stifle? Sure but I deal with it. Would it be nice if it did more damage to epic mobs? Sure but again I deal with it. Sorry guys but other then fixing the issues stated above I like DF now and other then the green mobs in the beginning of SoS I never used it but now I use it all the time. 2.3k parse on Hemogoblin in Unrest while everyone else was 1500 or less works for me.
  20. ARCHIVED-LTrav2k Guest

Junaru wrote:
    I definitely agree that this is the least of our problems. For me in raid situations, it has actually become pretty reliable since we have a pretty balanced set up. So far dev fist has become a consistent 4-5% of my total raidwide dps, which since the changes has dropped at little to around 1300. I've gotta get a weapon to replace fist of bashing in raids (hoping to score a twin calamity, or even Marr's Fist may fit the new delay model now) so I get more CA opportunities.
    With soloing nameds, it has been really fun... I just stick to my usual game plan and fight normally until 30%... Crane Flock > Tsunami > Dev Fist... the stifle wears off right after tsunami so I get the opportunity to heal if I need to.
    Even with the changes, our oldest monk is parsing around 1600 - 1800 per fight with burst dps outwards of 2300 in EoF raid zones. I've got a lot of gear which I still need to acquire, but it's happening slowly buy surely!

I guess the real issue is, that this was supposed to be our olive branch from the devs to let us know that they were working on us. Not sure if it alone will accomplish that task. I hope that uncontested avoidance will be reviewed, or even some method of counterattack technique that would delve into another aspect of martial arts.