[DEV] Please let us know whether or not you're considering further improving existing gear.

Discussion in 'Items and Equipment' started by Montag, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Montag Well-Known Member

I'm trying to hold my guild together telling people to wait and see and that the devs aren't going to let it stand that they have wasted hundreds of thousands of plat and innumerable hours farming gear and infusers that needs replaced from the same zones they spent hundreds of hours in getting it in the first place.

Last night's raid we were down a full group, we usually have 6+ on deck at raid start. The people missing were the same ones saying they're done with this game due to the current gear controversy.

People dislike the gear resets that come with content but the desire to explore new zones and encounters offsets that a bit. But to "all for naught" their entire armor set, and all that massive infusing investment, in the middle of an expac is really making the hamster wheel way too obvious for people.

I don't fully understand why you wouldn't make it retroactive in the first place but I'm sure you have goals you're trying to achieve by doing so. So maybe even just increasing the amount they did get increased, even if it's only 2/3rds of the new stuff would salve a lot of raging players right now.

Anyway, I know that your job's not easy and you're trying to achieve multiple goals with itemization. But please let us know if it's being considered or not.
    Avirodar, Sudedor, Regolas and 7 others like this.
  2. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

Why invest anything in gear when you know it'll be replaced by new content, new expacs etc?

At the end of the day, if you want to be the best, you do what you can. If you want to just coast, you take it easy.

Is everyone going to cry again if new content brings out new items that replace old ones?
    Ansom, Kraeref and Eles like this.
  3. Chakaloso New Member

Yes I feel very cheated dropping a lot of plat into infusing 3 days ago and now my armor is worthless. I know I'm not the only one most everyone I've talked too feels the same way. Hope you guys plan on fixing this.
  4. Arco Active Member

I think I'd rather bring back a system similar to Crit Mit, than continue this crazy stat inflation... where raid gear provides a necessary stat for raiding that is significantly better than heroic gear... at least then, I won't care too much if the dps stats are slightly better than my raid gear.
  5. Healious Active Member

The problem is there is no new content. Everyone knows and expects gear to be replaced with new content. This is just DBG trying to extend the life of the current content by making us rerun the same zones. There is no other reasons that these changes weren't retroactive.
  6. Sylke Well-Known Member

Pretty sure what Errrorr was getting at was simply that: Gear is going to be replaced, at some point. It could be now; it could be a year from now. Since it was now, you can either deal with it, or not. Same as how you would handle it a year from now.

Does it suck that this method was used? Yes. Is it likely to change? Probably not. So the best bet is to accept it and move on. Or move out, if it cannot be accepted.
    Willan_HoF and konofo like this.
  7. Healious Active Member

Why should people be OK with that? We know we will have to replace it with new content. Why would we want to refarm zones and raids everytime daybreak cannot come up with new timely content? Who would want to waste all that time and plat?
    Mizgamer62 and MalcolmXBox like this.
  8. Entropy Well-Known Member

We all expect to replace 99% of our gear when a large xpac is released.

We expect to replace maybe 25-50% when a major content pack is released in between xpacs.

Nobody expects to have to replace gear when a baseline upgrade is made to existing gear..

These are the precedents, the genre norms, that we have been exposed to and have accepted.

Item changes done on existing gear to correct broad itemization problems should be retroactive unless there is EXTREMELY STRONG justification for it not to be retroactive. This goes doubly so when a mechanic like Infusing exists that lets players invest huge amounts of resource (plat, which is effectively "time" as well) in improving their baseline gear. There is no strong justification for the changes to not be retroactive here - it is a shallow and poorly veiled attempt to keep players grinding stale content.

This is just so incredibly frustrating for the people that have invested millions of plat and unrecoverable bonus infusers. Refund all of that and we will stop the complaining. Fix the boost to be fully retroactive, instead of the paltry 1/3 boost (one third of overall boost as a retroactive boost, that is) we got, and we will stop complaining. We have a valid point for now though, and the initial Dev responses have been extremely myopic and frustrating to read.

I really wish people would stop bringing the "new xpac gear scaling" point up here - is it a known concept but is NOT relevant in this situation.
    Ragna, Ruckus, Mizgamer62 and 6 others like this.
  9. MalcolmXBox Active Member

I cannot fathom why any consumer would publicly announce their submission to the will of the company it buys from. To actively defend is disturbing. To attack fellow consumers is Orwellian.

I understand people having no issue with these changes. No one should take exception to that.
    Taking the effort to mock or chastise other players' issues and say things along the lines of "if you don't like it, leave" weakens consumer power. It weakens any group's power. This isn't a sports rivalry.
    Companies drool over this kind of brand loyalty, because it opens the floodgates for companies to continue to take advantage over the consumer as they can.
    If you don't like people's dissatisfaction with this, the rational thing to do is abstain from voicing anything in that thread. That still shows your integrity and maintains the consumer strength.

How it perverse would it be if a person stood up and said "I can't believe you're crying. If you don't like sawdust in your Parmesan cheese, don't buy it!" How could anyone ever rationalize that? Seriously.
    Ragna, Jaden and Bloodguts like this.
  10. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

Just like the person who posted above me, I don't understand why you, or anyone else, would defend so adamantly these changes when you know yourself they disrupt everything we've accomplished so far.

If new gear comes from NEW content, i'll be happy to go get it. But that is not the case at all!

If you don't understand this, then you are so completely out of touch with the plight of your fellowman.
    Ruckus, Healious and MalcolmXBox like this.
  11. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

If Mobs/Difficulty had changed I'd agree, because everybody would be **** out of luck. However as mob difficulty has not changed, and previous items got bumped up, everybody got a free bonus. Those who then chose to reinvest in gear again can see improvements. Whether you chose to or not is 100% optional. There is no reason you can't carry on with the gear you already have.
  12. Loran Member

The bump that previous gear got was beyond minuscule when compared to the stats on the new gear though.
  13. MalcolmXBox Active Member

Your opinion about how you like the changes is fine and no one should argue or attack that.

Your evaluation that what we see should be equal to your opinion is convoluted. Your conjecture that we should not have a reason to protest, then attack that protest, and then imply that any improvement is acceptable based on your evaluation, disregards the assessment of any other player. Assuming you are just a customer with no ties, you are sapping your own strength.
    These feelings that go beyond your opinion, should not be here or in any other thread expressing a customer's disapproval. That's for everyone's benefit. Plus, in-house fighting is usually a sign of overall weakness.

Other people don't agree with the changes for a few different reasons. They have valid points to argue. Players should respect that and refrain from gunning down other people's empowerment to voice a complaint.
    Should the time arise when you feel the need to protest something, it would be ridiculous and equally spiteful to the entire player base.

Any why would anyone want to show submissiveness to a maker of a product they buy?
    Bloodguts and Healious like this.
  14. Healious Active Member

This, this, and more of this. We are the customer.
    MalcolmXBox likes this.
  15. Bloodguts Well-Known Member

And that's where the problem lies. The bump to the stats of gear we currently have is so minimal.

Even Heroic dropped gear now has much crit bonus/potency than the gear that dropped from the hardest encounters in-game right now.

Meaning, all the currency, dkp, items used to purchase these items and increase their stats has become completely gone to waste with these changes.

This is why people are rightly and justly upset.

They did this once with Jewelry in January, and they are doing this once again now on February with armor. Who's to say they will continue with this, specially since they don't communicate anything anymore.
    MalcolmXBox and Healious like this.
  16. Wurm Well-Known Member

Worthless?

If they made the content harder at the same time, maybe.

If the patch made you lose progression, maybe.

if they patch didn't slightly improve the gear you already have, maybe.

Not one single raid guild lost any progression, and they didn't make the content harder, so that means your now improved gear is far from worthless.

Nothing changed, except the encounters you will be face in the near future will be slightly easier.

Sounds like a good amount of the raider community needs a reality check.

You lost nothing. if you chose to go back and redo the zones you progressed past to get the new gear, that's your choice, but if you raid to progress, then there is no need to do so, and you are in a slightly better position to advance as before the patch.
    Drakren likes this.
  17. sycla Active Member

Why are you trying so hard to derail this thread? How will it harm you if DBG gives us upgraded gear?
    By your reasoning no one should move from adv solo gear as its enough to kill most content with.What you are not getting or choosing to ignore is that there is no actual choice to not have to farm the new gear again.
    No player who groups/raids will not be satisfied with as you say " free upgraded gear"They could have stopped after getting adv solo gear and no one made us get the raid gear so in the same way they will have no choice but to farm the gear again.your argument that " look you had 5 before and now the company has given you 7 so why are you upset" is childish at best..That argument only works in a solo game and not if you group or raid.
    Players expect to refarm gear with new content but this is just the case of DBG being slow to balance gear and taking the opportunity to screw over loyal customers in a underhanded way to prolong life of the expac
    MalcolmXBox likes this.
  18. MalcolmXBox Active Member

They might be overstating but they are implying feelings of time and resources wasted because of a lack of forewarning. It is perceived as a lack of respect. You forget that worth is based on what it took to gain via all the provided resources available here. That validates his opinion; and therefore people have a valid argument here. It is implied that the devs rethink the changes.

You are overstating as well. Your opinion is also a valid argument. You imply you are right; however the fact that a significant number of people disagree with you suggests a good chance you are not. While you are in a position to disagree, this isn't a reason nor a factual basis to negate the disapproval.
  19. Healious Active Member

That fact remains. If they would have just made these changes retroactive everyone wins. So why didn't they I wonder? Hmm
    MalcolmXBox likes this.
  20. sycla Active Member

How does people asking for the company to be fair and give us upgraded gear affect you negatively?
    MalcolmXBox likes this.