Destiny of Velious, can't buy from Station shop?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Chillies, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Chillies New Member

Why can't we buy this expasion from the station shop?
  2. Lucus Well-Known Member

if you mean the ingame marketplace they took it out alnog with subscriptions because people were using double/triple sales and then waiting for a rebate sale and cashing in that SC to get subscriptions and expansions at "a steal" cost.
  3. Chillies New Member

So where can I buy the expasion as a digital download? I have looked all over the SoE website and cannot find it anywhere.

Not really interested in buying a hardware version and having to wait for shipping and handling.
  4. Estred Well-Known Member

Destiny of Velious now comes bundled in with Chains of Eternity from my understanding though you may wish to double check station.sony.com to verify that or contact customer support to aid you with the purchase. Lucas is right though a $40 expansion at 100SC = 1$ meant it cost 40,000 SC to buy at regular price but if you waited for lets just say an X2 SC weekend... now you are paying 20,000 SC because you have X2 SC for the same price. Though if you then waited on your SC for a rebate of all items though rare it has happened now you have paid 10,000 SC or $10 US for a forty US dollar expansion and Sony is severely reduced in their profits form expansion sales by losing $30 a sale.This same math applied to ~$120 a year subscriptions people were robbing SOE in essence by taking advantage of the system. Though in hindsight Sony's marketing department should have caught that prior to people getting 3+ year subscriptions during X3 SC weekend.
  5. Chillies New Member

Can anyone please confirm that DoV comes bundled with CoD please?

I see what are saying, however, do not forget that SC is virtual currency, you still paid the 40 bux and got rebated virtual currency. So they still made real money value of 40 dollars for the expasion.
  6. Lucus Well-Known Member

only if you bought $40 worth of sc without any promotions and then spent it on a rebate sale day to get an expansion.
  7. Feldon Well-Known Member

There is no reason to buy Destiny of Velious. Chains of Eternity includes all past expansions EXCEPT Age of Discovery. As to why Age of Discovery is still $40 and has yet to be discounted, I am not sure. It should have been $15-20 over Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend IMO.
    You might have paid $40 for your 40,000SC. But most people paid $10. And on a 50% rebate, that means SOE gets just $5 for a $40 expansion. It was only a matter of time before they removed it from the marketplace.
  8. mouser Well-Known Member

Pretty much what everyone said. It doesn't new people long to figure out to wait for triple station cash days. Sadly, I had no extra funds when the last one rolled around, so I'll have to wait for my shiny new house, but I'll live. SOE wouldn't though if everyone could buy the new expansion for $15-20...
  9. Avirodar Well-Known Member

People were "robbing SOE in essence"?

I find it quite poor form that you would suggest, in any capacity, that SOE was robbed by players who purchased product, during the sales that SOE was habitually running. As per John Smedley, SOE knew exactly what they were doing when running the said promotions, he posted such during the period when subscriptions were temporarily returned to the marketplace.

If SOE was "robbed" by anyone, they robbed themselves. Claiming that players robbed SOE, by participating in sales that SOE was running on almost a bi-weekly basis, is disgraceful.
  10. napu Member

If you buy chains of eternity, you get destiny of velious too, but you don't get any of the claim rewards from velious.
  11. Estred Well-Known Member

Not quite what I meant, the term was an exaggeration. I simply meant that due to how fast SOE removed the ability to use SC to purchase Subscriptions and Expansions they clearly did not intend for X2 and X3 SC to be used for expansions. An oversight on their part and they fixed it. Still they made money on the SC itself.

My apologies if the term misled you to interpret my point. Indeed it is more accurate to say they robbed themselves and perhaps would have been better but due to the 30 min restriction on editing that is in the past.
  12. bladesmaster Member

The real question is this: If we already bought DoV, especially not too long before the release of CoE, are they going to give a discount to us? We've effectively already bought half the package... it would only make sense to have to pay half the price.
  13. Finora Well-Known Member

No, because the price for the expansion is just for Chains of Destiny. As of purchasing of COD, DOV is just a bonus 'free gift' just like all the previous expansions that had all previous content included.
  14. Estred Well-Known Member

Chains of Destiny? You mean Chains of Eternity of which Destiny of Velious is included in?
  15. Finora Well-Known Member

Yes, I meant Chains of Eternity. Typing in a hurry & didn't see the mistake until too late to edit it.
  16. napu Member

Well you got the velious claim items at least, people who got velious with coe don't get them.
  17. Arcturys Member

IMO, it should have been $15-20 from the very beginning. I still feel that was the worst purchase I made out of over 12 years of EQ. I gave in because I was so excited about the Tradeskill Apprentices. That's pretty much the only part of that pack I use. And despite how much I like it, I still have 2 other accounts that are AoD-less because of the ridiculous price.

Would they rather get $15-20 for the 100s (1000s?) of people still holding off, and/or waiting to get if for non-primary accounts, or get $0 by leaving it at the current price which most people are no longer willing to pay?
  18. Arcturys Member

Actually, they clearly DID intend for that to happen, because on the podcast right before Christmas 2011, SJ and .. I think it was Brasse? ... even said right on camera how great of a deal we would be getting by using the double/triple SC for buying Velious. Which is exactly what I went and did. I also got a year sub; wish I had bought another year or two. :(
  19. napu Member

i know you longer term players dont seem to have an interest in the mercs, but i would say they are pretty much essential for newer players trying to get through the coe quest line. I ended up paying the full price (somewhat grudgingly) so there are still fools like me buying it. I'm going to exact my revenge by not buying any sc cash for a while.
  20. Arcturys Member

Don't get me wrong. The mercs do have their usefulness. The biggest problem with AoD was that it was a combination of different features, and the majority of players only wanted 1 or 2 items out of the pack, but still had to pay the full lump sum to get it. I had (and still have) no interest in Beastlords. I know some people love them, and I don't begrudge them that. People that did use all aspects of AoD might be more likely to feel like it was $40 well spent.

SOE knew this and did it this way on purpose. Crappy way to treat their customers, but it did make them some money then. Now, though, a year after it really needs to be repriced or split apart. At the very least, they need to take out and sell the beastlord separately like the vampire race, and then lower the price point on the remaining feature pack (at least that's my suggestion if they won't go a step further and just break AoD up into all it's component parts to be sold separately).

What's really shady on their part is they told us AoD would never be required. Yet from my understanding, you can't even do some quests in COE without the merc part of AoD - and anyone that got the collector's edition of COE is screwed if they don't own AoD, because one of the perks was a merc - that you can't use without AoD.... I'd say that was pretty underhanded of SOE.

It seems obvious to me they are going to great lengths to "encourage" people to buy AoD, probably because they've never been pleased with AoD sales. If they would've listened to their loyal players from the beginning, they could've made a lot more by taking our advice. Even now we are still trying to help them, but like a stubborn teenager that thinks he knows better than everyone else, they refuse to listen.