Daybreak Winter Extravaganza! December 18 - 31

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Roxxlyy, Dec 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Siren Well-Known Member

Also, there are so many of us that are grandfathered silvers. I'm gold right now, but during busy seasons at work and such I might not get on much, so I save money and slip back to silver. If they did that $79 a year thing they did a couple years back, I would probably sub for a year with that again, but $300 is a little much for a game in its 15th year.

The uncertainty of the remaining life span of EQ2, Daybreak's multiple rounds of layoffs, and the lack of an ETA on the PvP event server have me passing on this one methinks.
    Xillean, Rosyposy and Rhodris like this.
  2. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Something important I should have noted in my reply....

When assessing liklihoods like this, it is helpful to consider the incentives for DBG to make the offer.

In this case, they are willing to give up membership money after month 30, and if for some reason they shutter one or more titles sooner, then this offer works to their benefit. They may also be losing subs, so they may want to make customers stickier by getting them to pay up front 30 months.

The point is, the offer implies they are working with a short horizon. Consider **their incentives** for making the offer, and use it to shape your expectations and probabilities.
    GrunEQ, Xillean, Siren and 3 others like this.
  3. Wilowsong Active Member

I'm worried too...Free Realms offered lifetime memberships and it closed. EQ2 may be okay because there is only 4,000 lifetime memberships. :)
  4. Mashef Member

The logic to me is this 1.2 million is for the funding of starting up a new project. It's just a matter of what game...If the money is getting dumped into this new battle royale planetside I would rather not invest in that.
    GrunEQ, Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Siren like this.
  5. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

It's probably a safer investment to continue to buy cosmetics than to purchase a lifetime subscription where there is a small possibility that character data can be saved and ported over to a new owner. Whereas, a new owner will almost never honor Daybreak's lifetime subscriptions. Didn't Massively float that a few independent studios were interested in the EQ franchise?
  6. Mashef Member

Many companies should be interested in EQ IP rights. If I had $10 to $20 million or whatever the estimated is I would buy it for sure. I know a few folks that do have it and have considered making an offer. Mostly EQ1 players with too much money. The game has lasted 20 years... in the right hands it can be rebuilt with new graphics and improved quality of life features but capture the same game play and not overdo it like EQ2 and other games with way to many macros/hotbars being the primary downfall on top of saturated stat lines/armor.

It's an untapped goldmine because for some reason DBG is making games like planetside and H1Z1.

The MMO market is dry right now and reality is McQuaid will never launch Pantheon because he has personal issues.
  7. Castegyre Well-Known Member

This was my first thought.

What is the least likely game DBG has at the moment that would get shut down.

I'm going with DCUO.

Worst case scenario; Would I want to spend 3 years playing DCUO because everything else was closed or is on life support?

What if it were PS2 instead?

Things don't look healthy enough to not consider the situation seriously.

Nah, I'll pass.
  8. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

For the 12 months option: Please explain what a "VIP 120 Days Research Time" means. Given that most top tier spells take over 50 days to research this doesn't seem like a great deal, especially if its one per account.

Nearly all my characters are already 110, so that isn't much of an incentive.

Appearance armor and a no-stat mount aren't worth the extra cost either., even though they are per character.

Maybe if you added a cool house of your choice for every character and research time for each character I would be interested.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  9. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

The logic to me is that they need the balance sheet to look healthy and viable for the EOFY.
    Juraiya and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  10. Tekka Well-Known Member

Planetside 2 Battle Royale IS the new game.

The other, unnamed title that was in the works has been closed, along with the Austin office, and all of that staff laid off.
  11. Siren Well-Known Member

Yeah, at first I thought maybe they were trying to fund that Everquest Mobile thing, but that's under the NantWorks banner and we're not, so I certainly hope that's not the case! :eek:

Not that I think much of the Planetside Arena idea or want it to go for that, either. In a word: Yeesh! Battle Royales are trending downward, and they're pretty much F2P with cash shops. Planetside 2 has always been a fringe shooter at best, never mind that it's looking quite old these days besides. Not many people are going to pay for that, let alone play it instead of Fortnite and PubG.

I wish I was naive enough to think the money would actually be spent on EQ2, but we were the cash cow for lots of other failed SOE projects even when EQ2 was The New Shiny, never mind nowadays.
  12. Siren Well-Known Member

Uh, NantWorks just invested a ton of money into that Mobile Everquest thing that's coming later on. No one is going to be selling off the Everquest IP, get real, lol.
  13. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

According to Daybreak, 2000 of 4000 lifetime subscriptions have sold. They will sell out by Thursday-Friday when paychecks come in or Saturday when working people check their emails. A lot of purchasers are effusive about the games so perhaps there's a "GoFundMe" element to this.
  14. Meneltel Well-Known Member

And SoE spent how long and how much money on EQNext… and where is it for us to play? Maybe they could sell that off.
    Xillean, Praaji and Rhodris like this.
  15. Fistpower Well-Known Member

Ill be very surprised if eq2 recieves a proper new expansion in 2019. If it gets another in 2020 DBG must own an endless money pit.

The quality of KA and PoP leaves a lot to be desired if you look at other expansions such as TSO, SF or AoM.
    Meneltel and Mizgamer62 like this.
  16. knightowl Member

What I remember is that the LotRO lifetime offer was made shortly before (during, or after) the game launched, way back in 2007.

So my first impression involved the contrast between offering lifetime subs at the beginning of a game's life cycle vis-a-vis offering them at its (potential) end.
  17. Siren Well-Known Member

Links or it didn't happen. :p Where'd you pull those numbers out of? ;)
  18. Benito Ancient EQ2 Player: Lavastorm Server 2004.

Daybreak's Twitter. https://twitter.com/DaybreakGames/status/1075528225525284865

The veracity of the claim is another issue but it can go either way: (1) Daybreak instantly regrets selling lifetime subscriptions and wants to cut it off sooner or (2) they want to add the element of "take it or leave it" immediacy to garner more money.
  19. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I don't think so; if that were the case, there wouldn't be any number limits to it, they'd keep the offer open indefinitely as an option ("Platinum account! -- we already did that? Hmm...okay: Palladium account! -- that's the name of another entertainment possibility? Hmm...Iridium account! That implies a volcano or meteor strike? Well, dangnabbit...time to check on the ol' Periodic Table again..."). ;->

Uwk
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You're paying for convenience, basically. ;->

And if it survives for another 2.5 years, which is likely, this pays for itself. /shrug

Uwk
    Pixistik, Breanna and Dude like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.