Daybreak Games Forum Guidelines - 07/30/2019

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Jul 30, 2019.

1. dreamweaver Community Relations

Daybreak Games Forum Guidelines - 07/30/2019

1) Be respectful and courteous - The purpose of these Forums and other official, Daybreak Games-maintained communication channels is to create a positive and constructive atmosphere for discussion about Daybreak Games Games and topics meaningful to our communities. While we may at times disagree with one another, it is important to maintain an atmosphere of civility and respect so that all voices may be heard. Disagreements with others are acceptable, but must be expressed in a reasonable and polite manner.

2) Communicate constructively - It is important for any communication, whether between players or directly with Daybreak Games employees, to be constructive. Posts without constructive commentary distract from or otherwise reduce the visibility of valuable communication and discourages others from participating in the conversation.

A few examples of non-constructive communication are as follows:
    • Off-topic commentary for specific forum - topics or conversation inappropriate for a particular area is unlikely to be seen by the intended audience and can spawn distracting and non-productive discussions, as well as splitting otherwise useful discussions into multiple channels. Political and religious discussions are considered non constructive on Official Daybreak Games Forums.
    • Spam - communication without meaningful content that does not add to the conversation. Some examples are: +1, first, bump, /agree, etc.
    • Cross-posting - posting the same topic or conversation repeatedly and/or across multiple avenues of communication in an attempt to gain attention for an issue. This splits conversation into multiple channels. If a conversation is relevant to multiple groups, players may post a link to the main conversation. We also do not allow posting a new thread on a topic that is already being discussed, as it spreads conversation out and makes it harder to gather the appropriate feedback.
    • Naming/Accusing - Openly accusing another player or group of misbehavior results in non-constructive discussion and is not allowed. You may discuss the type of behavior at issue, but specifically naming individuals or groups is not allowed. In cases of exploiting, harassment or other violations of conduct, please submit a ticket to Customer Service for investigation.
    • Disrupting Official Threads - these are created to gather feedback on specific issues or topics relevant to Daybreak Games. Do not post about other topics, or use the thread as a platform to attempt to advance another agenda.
    • Polling/Petitioning – The creation of petitions or polls are not permitted in Daybreak Games communications channels.

3) Do not troll or make personal attacks - Trolling and attacking others is not allowed on Daybreak Games Forums or other Daybreak Games-maintained communication channels.
    Trolling is posting provocatively with reasonable expectation of provoking an emotional response (intentional or not). Trolling can include:
    • Non-constructive feedback or comments.
    • Nerf Calls - Openly calling for "Nerfs" (blanket reductions to abilities) is not allowed. If you feel something is overpowered or needs to be toned back, post your constructive comments and explanations.
    • Accusing Others of Trolling - Calling someone a troll or accusing them of trolling is a form of trolling in itself. If you feel someone is behaving in a manner not consistent with these rules, please use the "Report this post to a Moderator" function on the forums.
    • Excessive Reporting of Posts - Using the "Report this post to a Moderator" function of the forums to draw attention to a specific cause, to target an individual or to bypass a forum suspension or ban is considered trolling, particularly if it is used frequently for the purpose.
    • Personal attacks - Do not insult, degrade or criticize any person or group of people. Personal attacks are hurtful, often lead to response in kind and destroy useful discussion.
    • Examples of personal attacks include calling someone stupid, saying "You suck," "I wish you would die," or "You should be fired."
    • Attacking groups of people, companies, and other countries is similarly prohibited.
    • Attacks specifically regarding race, religion or sexual orientation are grounds for immediate suspension or banning.

4) Do not reveal account information - While most areas of our games are valid topics for discussion, Customer Service (GM) interactions are sensitive, due to privacy concerns. If discussing CS interactions, the comments must be kept constructive, civil and without revealing personal or account information.

5) Profanity - Because Daybreak Games appeals to a broad audience, the use of profanity is not permissible in any Daybreak Games communication medium. Do not intentionally evade the word filter or partially mask profanity by the substituting characters or words. The intent will still be clear. Either use all symbols or find another word choice (preferable).

6) Signatures are welcome - Daybreak Games forums allow posters to use custom signatures. The current maximum size allowed for a signature is 350px tall, 500px wide (including any text) and1500KB. Any signatures considered inappropriate may be removed. Repeated violations may result in the removal of your ability to use custom signatures.

7) Abide by moderator direction - If you disagree with a moderator or employee's actions, do not discuss or challenge the matter in forum posts. Contact a member of the Community team and clearly state your concerns.

These rules are not comprehensive and are provided as a general outline of conduct for Daybreak Games-maintained forums and communication channels. Failure to follow these rules or any direction from Daybreak Games staff or volunteers may result in your posting privileges being suspended, either temporarily or permanently.
    Cusashorn, Saw-Lau, Soara2 and 17 others like this.
  2. Ispamchatrooms New Member

3. Aaandi New Member

"Daybreak Games-maintained forums and communication channels" includes General Chat on a server?
    Cyrrena and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  4. Windmere New Member

Somewhat agree.
    There should be decorum, which is often missing from any conversations today. Seems to be a trend in the US, not sure if its true everywhere else.
    However, there will always be those that disagree. And their opinion is just as valid, providing they express it using some respect to others. Otherwise, its not a forum but a bulletin board.
  5. ArgentGarou Member

I agree Windmere. I have seen people be completely disrespectful when calling out others on real or suspected violations.
  6. Avithax Well-Known Member

@DW are you going to be joining us on Discord?
    Cyrrena and dreamweaver like this.
  7. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

guess we do sometimes just let our mouths run wild and say things that can hurt others feeling without meaning to do so
    So yes people should think before they go over board.
    And I have posted stuff on 2 threads before , usually because I answered to somebody and found out later that there was an older post already there .
  8. Cosmi Member

9. Cosmi Member

I totally understand you not wanting trolling or personal attacks.

Many of us live with this "daily" in game.

People don't talk in game chat, or they risk being targets of the trolls. "Many" of us would absolutely love it, if you would also enforce this in the game as well.

Suspending or banning a troll does no good. The trolls even joke that getting banned or suspended is nothing, because it is not their main account. They make alt accounts to troll on, so their mains don't get banned.

A possible solution could be banning or suspending their ISP, then it would have more bite to it.

Ignore should also be ISP wide, since when they make new characters to troll on, they get around ignore.

Trolls cause many people to stop playing, per their words. It brings down the over all mood of the server. Trolls are nothing more than bullies.

I know ISP works, because we used to check ISP's and it helped to keep people we kicked from guild, for bad behavior, from sneaking back in.

Just thought I would mention this here, since you may be experiencing trolling yourself, in the hopes you may be better able to understand, what many players in game are going through.
    Leeroy, Cyrrena, Sigrdrifa and 4 others like this.
  10. Avithax Well-Known Member

Or perhaps disable their ability to communicate in chat while we gleefully joke and laugh about it!
    Soara2, Dude, Cyrrena and 2 others like this.
  11. Lunablanco Active Member

@Windmere to think it only that happens in the US, is both arrogant and ignorant. It can happen any where, and every where.
    Naramsin likes this.
  12. Ra'Gruzgob Well-Known Member

hail dw (i like dwarves) :) !
    • :confused: This raises question. Are comments permissible in themes of past year and oldest, since it's likely that those who wrote there didn't look at this forum anymore? Is it need in this connection to indicate for each unique name on forum status of "presence", that is, for example, if for more than year this person didn't write anything, then note is made about it (until he writes a new one) or does font color of name change? In this case, if this isn't permissible or limited, potential author sees whether it's possible to use this old topic for what he wants to say or whether he needs to create a new one (for example, must not if at least one of discussion participants is missing).
      And a few more questions:
      - Are out of the number of discussions and messages indicated in statistics of forum, are all available for reading and/or comments?
      - How permissible is it to create topics/posts on this forum in languages ​​other than english (and which?)? For example, we saw that you in your other topic (greetings for/from norrathians) responded in spanish to message in english. What restrictions apply in this regard?
      - Do DB plan to introduce a spelling system (for english.. norrathians, please don't be annoyed with my english) on this forum?
  13. splatterpunk28 Well-Known Member

I guess when you have to choose between toxicity or dead zone, the better choice was made. Although driving people to the discord channel to get information or answers nullifies any gains made here as it's considerably worse.

It wouldn't be a terrible idea to "archive" everything that exists, again. Being optimistic, maybe the rare positive or neutral post won't scare people away.
  14. Gameshark New Member

They won't ban an ISP for trolling. People who become a victim of trolling often make themselves the victim because they are too stupid to realize someone is trolling. It's not difficult to spot one, simply use /ignore. I actually find it hilarious when the "victim" doesn't realize they are being trolled, so it makes reading chat entertaining. It's like reading a comic strip.
    Breanna likes this.
  15. Scottiekeith New Member

Hi folks ive been around puter games since adam was a cowboy! I usually solo and i dont have any chat features active.As gameshark say use /ignore. I take it its newbies that are being targeted.Anyways folks be polite - good - enjoy!! Im an old 76yr vet of both the airforce and puting when 8mb ram was big!! i had 16 mb ram way back in 95 Diablo was the game then!!
  16. Schmetterling Well-Known Member

don't insult people who belief in the human race , don't call them stupid.
    I have trolled back trolls by "playing " dumb now that is hilarious , or I compliment them out of the conversation
    I often enough have seen people go quiet when they just won't be able to get you enraged.
    I have seen people being accused to be a troll or hater, so yea misunderstanding can also lead to heated conversations.
    on the language I seam to remember there being a Daybreak game , might have been Landmark where different language sections were created .
    This might be a good way for those who don't speak English to get information , even might bring them back to play the game.
  17. dreamweaver Community Relations

Yes.
  18. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

If memory serves, we had a section of the forums here (Armageddoux was frequently the biggest contributor/player moderator; not sure if he was actually staff, per se) that had places where folks could post threads in at least French and German, possibly also Spanish, Russian, Japanese, and other languages, though my own pitiful attempts at other languages kind of made me shy about checking it out. I don't remember seeing it recently, though. :(

Uwk
    Breanna, Cyrrena and dreamweaver like this.
  19. dreamweaver Community Relations

So when we're talking about "cross-posting" in this case it's similar to spam, creating the same thread about the same subject on multiple sub-forums because you either didn't like the answer you received or you're trying to blanket something. I'd personally prefer if you started a new thread if the original one is over say 30 days old (This could shift).

I don't quite understand the second question but you should be able to find anything on the forums unless that information is private or been hidden by someone like me.

In regards to posts in other languages, I don't believe we have a policy regarding that at the moment but I am new so give me some time to get back to you and we can go from there.

aaaaand "Spelling system"? Like a spell check function?
    Soara2, Breanna, Dude and 2 others like this.
  20. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm...we do have a way to turn on the spellcheck-like function in our posts here; I always have mine on, and it's saved me a lot of embarrassment. ;->

I think all you have to do to activate it is to right-click on your post (while you're still writing it) and check the "Check Spelling" line. :)

Uwk
    Breanna, Rosyposy, Dude and 2 others like this.