Data Feed Privacy - A complete joke.

Discussion in 'EQ2Players.com Website Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Faeth, Feb 10, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Faeth Guest

So even if I uncheck the share data with players option, teh data feeds can still pull all of my data? Or did Feldon and crew do a mass pull and save it all?
    A complete joke for such a long awaited thing to have such a huge privacy hole.
  2. ARCHIVED-Grumpy_Warrior_01 Guest

Faeth wrote:
    From the FAQ: http://u.eq2wire.com/help
    Q: I don't want my character(s) listed on EQ2U. How do I opt out?
    A: Log into the EverQuest II game client with the character you wish to hide and press the C key (or P if you still have the original key binding) to access your Character/Persona screen. Click the "EQ2 Share " tab on the left side and uncheck "Enable EQ2Players Updates ". This will opt your character out of all API-driven EQ2 websites.

YOU MUST ZONE or CAMP your character after making the change above to remove it from the EQ2 Data Feeds API. It may take up to 5 minutes for this change to be reflected on EQ2U.
  3. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Faeth wrote:
    It's advisable to be on solid ground with your facts prior to pointing fingers.
    Opting out your character from EQ2Players (and by extension all Data Feeds API websites) takes about 10 seconds. This Opt Out ability has been available since mid-December. We respect people's privacy, so we immediately throw a nice "This character has opted out or has been deleted" message when someone tries to access a character who has Opted Out.
    [IMG]
    If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
  4. ARCHIVED-Korok Guest

What irks me is a lot of us went through all the time and trouble to make all our toons on all of our accounts private on the old character system only to have SOE ignore that data and totally out us again with this system.
    Cough egotistical dimwits cough............
  5. ARCHIVED-Gladiolus Guest

With the old Players site, we could choose, for each character, to make our information public, or to share it with the guild, or to keep it completely private. Does this new version now have less functionality? I see only an all or nothing option with no consideration for guilds.
  6. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

Korok wrote:
    To my knowledge, all of the EQ2Players settings were set aside. It's worth pointing out that any character who hasn't logged in since November 2011 is not in the feed. The API only shows actively playing characters.
    Gladiolus wrote:
    The level of granularity to allow guilds to see your data, or opt-in only certain parts of your profile like Spells, AAs, Equipment, etc. is not currently available. It's all-or-nothing.
    I'm guessing the decision was made that adding that level of granularity would make the system so complex that it would be unmaintainable. We certainly don't want a repeat of last time where EQ2Players is broken for 2 years. They may add some more granularity to the settings down the road. Something is better than nothing.
  7. ARCHIVED-Elskidor Guest

People gonna complain about then just take down the privacy option altogether.
  8. ARCHIVED-lothengriol Guest

Please explain to me how you apply "privacy" to data that only contains information about a character in a game?
    There is no privacy hole...because there is no need for privacy. Legally there is nothing to protect, Protection from stalking? Really??? What possible real life argument can anyone put forth justifying a need to keep your virtual avatars statistics from falling into nefarious hands??
  9. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Rosss@Everfrost wrote:
    There is no real life argument for it, it is a mass hysteria a good portion of the people that are screaming and howling about this are only screaming and howling because of a 'pack animal' mentality. Then most of the people who claim to need protection from 'stalkers' are either playing 'me too' here OR have went around Norrath screwing other people over and want to have anonymity to continue to do so. Maybe 1 out of 10 people that say anything about being stalked by another player have a real claim the others are one of the two types I mentioned.
  10. ARCHIVED-saneng23 Guest

i have unchecked the enable character and logged out and it is working as intended however when i check it and log back out it doesn't show my character. gonna give it a try later to see if it will show. if not might be a bug.
  11. ARCHIVED-Kenazeer Guest

saneng23 wrote:
    Try hitting the send an update button. It could be that when you uncheck it the system knows "Ok this person wants out so we better get on it" vs when you opt in it may be "Cool this person is in, get their stuff at the next scheduled time."
  12. ARCHIVED-feldon30 Guest

I think Send Update only works on Facebook and Twitter. If you are talking about EQ2U, then we throttle updates to 5 minutes.