Dark Elf monk?

Discussion in 'Monk' started by ARCHIVED-D'hoffryn, Jan 7, 2005.

1. ARCHIVED-D'hoffryn Guest

Well, basically, I'm considering to create a monk, love the idea.. played a friar in DAoC so I'm used to the solitude life ^^

Anyway, Dark elf is the race I'm looking at, and I must say I love the race :p

Are they decent monks? I mean, wood elves got 30 agi, 15 str, while a dark elf gets 15str 20 agi.

And is that betreyal quest tough? hate tough quests :p

Thanks.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cyngii Guest

I wouldn't sweat the stats of being a dark elf.. you can control your stats with gear. Obviously if you have equally geared wood elf monk and dark elf monk, the wood elf will always have that 10 more agility but is 290agi vs 300 agi that big of a deal? It might be, look on the bright side, you'll be smarter :) I haven't heard too many people complaining about betraying and I see plenty of people that have, so it can't be that bad. Have only helped with some named kills for it, and that's it.
  3. ARCHIVED-Zorgnemer Guest

Yes wood elves have more strength and more agility.. but I don't think the difference is that significant. I like my DE monk a lot, and the newly white monk armor looks amazing :smileyhappy:

The betrayal quest is a pain in the [expletive ninja'd by Faarbot]. It's a nice quest, I enjoyed the "storyline" of it. But it's the longest quest by far that I have done so far.

All in all, I don't think the race you pick has that much impact on your effectiveness. Play the race you like, don't look at the statistics so much.

Here's an image of my monk, maybe it will help you make up your mind:

[IMG]
  4. ARCHIVED-Mystique Guest

My monk is a dark elf....I just wanted her to be, and starting stats don't really matter that much in the end. The betrayal quest seemed daunting at first but it was doable. If you have any friends in the 15-20 level range that could help you with the kills in Antonica, you could knock the whole thing out in a day, but it took me the better part of two days to finish with pickup groups.

Basically if you think you're gonna burn out while killing 500 gnolls and camping 4 other named gnolls, then killing on more ^^ mob and doing a lot of running around, betraying might not be for you. If you think u can handle it, go ahead, but remember, once you enter the instance part there's no turning back.

Regards,
  5. ARCHIVED-D'hoffryn Guest

Cyngii, they get the same strength, the dark elves get just 10 less dex :)

And 500 gnolls seems like alot :smileysurprised:
  6. ARCHIVED-Raage Guest

I have a DE monk as well...As said, the stats as you progress mean less, and less (since the gear gets better and better).
    I had a betrayal quest conversation w/ a buddy of mine who was worrying about 500 Gnolls...for me, I was gonna be killin anyway. And BB is not a bad place to hang for a few levels. The betrayal, while time consuming, is really not that big a PITA IMO....
  7. ARCHIVED-darkshmoo Guest

19 brawler Iksar here, betrayed freeport, working on finishing up monk quest now. I understood that in end game attributes eventually cap out don't they? If so I'd imagine by level 50 agility'll be max'd out regardless of race, although I'm not so sure on that obviously. Anyway the betrayal quest is definitely insane, but it's worth it just for the weird stares you get in town. ;)

Wish me luck!
  8. ARCHIVED-Mamaseeta Guest

DEs get some nice abilities, I have a friend who is DE, there racial abilites, seemed kinda nice I cannot remember what they are.
  9. ARCHIVED-GangsterFist Guest

Just when you hit level 50 make friends with a bard, preferably troub for buffs. They can add like +150 to each stat its insane. I tanked in perma today with 298 str 313 agi and 277 sta. I had a ton of HPs and I hit hard and very accurate with high str. The agi helped my avoidance too. However, I am not convinced that stat increases help in a large amount. They seem to help, but I cannot find any of my parsed logs when they are greatly different when I have 300 in all my tanking stats vs when I don't. If i don't have a bard in my group I hardly ever have 300 in 3 stats (well never w/o a bard), and it does not seem that different when I have 150 agi. In the parsed logs I have I take about the same damage. There is a bit of difference but you have to take in AC at the time too for mitigation purposes. When I have tons of AC buffs over stat buffs its the same results it seems. I know my DPS does not go up in huge amounts with 300 str Vs. my base str of 108. I think I parsed it at around 175ish DPS in dps mode, and around 150ish dps when tanking today on total average in permafrost. I parsed myself in DPS mode with no str buffs the other day in perma and I was hitting around the 160 to 170s on a constant basis. So, even with 300 str, my DPS did not go up that much. I think stats may be a bit over rated in EQ2. I know bards that have 380 agi with all their buffs and gear, and they get hit way more than i do, so its not totally based of stats. Bards also have avoidance songs and skills as well. Unless they sing that avoidance song, then they dodge a lot more than when they don't. Thats hard to compare when they use their song. But when they do not they get hit more than I do, even with 380 agi.

I wish SOE would come out and state exactly what stats do, because no one can prove anything otherwise, its just guesses based off our experiences. I know when I get in a pick up group and tank with like 2 other fighters, one scout one healer one mage (not my prefered group, but sometimes you gotta get exp heh) I don't have tons of DPS and I don't have all the great buffs on me, but we still get the job done. We may have a little down time, but for the most part its not really that different. However, when I get in the right group, we do kill a bit faster, and have zero down time. So, yeah there is definately a difference, but its really not that much greater than when you don't have those groups. Of course, this is assuming all people can play their class well.
  10. ARCHIVED-Morrizar Guest

<--- DE Monk. Works absolutely fine, you can fix anything with equipment.
  11. ARCHIVED-Oddysea Guest

I choose Dark Elf for my monk for one reason, they are the sexiest race so I figured she'd look really cute in the monk armor .. LOL . She does tons of damage and I can't really tell the difference between her and my husbands Kerra monk. Have fun with it , if you are a fan of the DE race then you will love it! :smileyvery-happy:
  12. ARCHIVED-LothostheUnseen Guest

I'm a dark elf monk as well and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. Its all about tradeoffs. I did it because I've played delfs before and like the lore and the look.

But from a gameplay perspective you have plenty of starting agility and enough str for power to last a fight, and with good drink you'll regen fine. Dark elves have good racial traits including a permanent bonus to agility that can help even things out a bit early on as far as tanking.

Having higher INT and WIS than other tanks means we resist spells, both arcane and divine, more often. That coupled with the interrupt abilities makes us great tanks against casters, especially since much magical damage ingores armor mitigation.

Just make sure to watch your power (and if it becomes a close call then taunt and buff over damage when tanking--holding aggro is the most important part of tanking aside from not dying--which loses aggro of course. lol.); and get good jewelry and equipment with Agility bonuses and you'll be fine.
  13. ARCHIVED-Naskin Guest

I enjoy playing my dark elf monk very much. The betrayal quest is kind of a nice roleplaying benefit to add to your character as well... the first time I entered Qeynos, jaws dropped. Plus... with the armor quests, I'm still dropping jaws of other monks who are jealous of how DE's look in it. If you want to be a DE because you like the race, by all means, GO FOR IT!