Dark Distortions -- Warlock damage capabilities.

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Spiritualism, Dec 22, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-Spiritualism Guest

I just recently hit 23 as a warlock and wanted to test out jut how gimped we are.

Having Adept I Dark Distortion, my average DD hits for 270 damage average, my high being 315. This being tested on yellow double arrow mobs.

When grouped with equal level Wizards I see them dd'ing at same level for 300+ on average maybe 350 max. But I believe the Ball of Fire spell costs 80+ power.
    Dark Distortions costs 81 power at level 23, but lets not forget the power steal that comes with it. I found on average, casting Dark Distortion only costs 50-55 power instead of 81, which makes our DD more efficient in the long run.

My 2 cents.
  2. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Anyone know where Dark Distortion gets it's return from?

If it's a drain/return from the mob then Dark Distortion is technically two nukes in one. One being a health nuke and the other a power nuke.. More then likely it's just returns power from health but it would be nice if it did drain..
  3. ARCHIVED-Erowid Guest

I have a 22 Wizard and swiched servers... lvl 19 but havnt chose to be a Wizzy or Warlock.

The Dark Dis spell nukes for slightly less than than the Wizard nukes.... but the get a mana drain (power tap) when it lands. So yes, it seems they may be more efficient in combat....!!

Decisions... decisions
  4. ARCHIVED-Absoluteooc Guest

Ask that wizzy what his recast time on his spell is :smileywink:
  5. ARCHIVED-Thyriel Guest

mate your doing something wrong. At lvl23 and app1 i had a highest hit of 230dmg, went to town and got app3, and did a maximum (tested on orcs in commonlands), of 306 dmg.Thats nearly as much as u do with adept1?!? I think adept1 would give me currently (when at last i could get it in my hands), between 450 and 480 highest dmg, depending on the "more dmg" i had from app3 blaze to adept and other dmg spells, currently lvl25 and highest dmg i had was 341.
  6. ARCHIVED-Junaru Guest

Ball of Fire
    Cast Time:3 seconds
    Recast Time:12 seconds

Dark Distortion
    Cast Time:2 seconds
    Recast Time:9 seconds
  7. ARCHIVED-pohsyb Guest

Things will get better with DD. You will get two spells that low poison dmg mitigation, Curse of Darkness, Then Steal Breath at 27.6.

I was hitting things last night with DD for 300-470. (Though I did get lucky and snagged a Master I of Steal Breath off the vendor a while back...60-80 dmg per tick....its sick)
  8. ARCHIVED-Quasar Guest

I've done over 400 damage with Dark Distortion. I have Freezing Whorl, Steal Breath, and Curse of Darkness (all of which make targets more vulnerable to poison), though.

Also, remember that Dark Distortion doesn't reach full power until after 30 I think (when you reach mastery skill).
  9. ARCHIVED-Koehianna Guest

Read it again... He tested it on a yellowo with double up arrows...
  10. ARCHIVED-Fladar Guest

I am a 28 Warlock currently. I have Dark Distortion adept 3. My highest damage so far has been 464. I dont use Freezing whorl anymore I just use the 2 debuffs whatever they called don't remember :p. I dont really notice any difference in Varsoon atm if I use the debuff or not. So I just usually Hit them with Dark Distortion Steel breath sometimes then Suffocating breath, Rinse and repeat till its dead. But anyways back to the point, I have a friend who has Adept 3 Breath of the Tyrant and Adept 3 Ball of Fire, and his highest damage is only 470, so we are not as far behind them as some of you might think.
  11. ARCHIVED-Gonzag Guest

Ball of fire
    3 sec casting time
    12 sec recast so 12+3=15 sec
    110 power (about)

Dark Distortion
    2 sec casting
    9 sec recast so 9+2=11 sec
    65 power (with drain)

If the spells were equals in terms of efficiency, Dark Distortion should do 2/3 the damage of Ball of Fire. That mean if BoF hits for 450, Dark D must hit for 300. Is it the case: no. Dark D will hit for 400. So it's MUCH more efficient than BoF. As a Wizard I don't like that so don't say that Wizards are better at dps or I kick your nuts. :smileywink:
  12. ARCHIVED-Daerv Guest

I thought Freezing Whorl only debuffed fire and cold resistances. If it does poison too that'd be great but the description doesn't read that way.

I've picked up Adepts for Dark Distortion and Suffocating Breath now and am quite desperate to level up and use them.
  13. ARCHIVED-Thyriel Guest

true...

I also calculated my dps yesterday. I readed something a while back in the Wiz boards, that a (not sure lvl25 or lvl27 wiz) does "normally" 45 to 50 dps, hitting what he can 50 to 55dps. So here my current lvl25 dps, based on the 9 sec recharge timer plus the 2 sec cast:

"normal" (to save mana), Dark Distortion (~280), Suffo Breath (~170), all 3 dots (app3, tick for ~40, ~25, ~10 as i saw 2 times before dark distortion can be recasted), DPS~54

"all that goes": Dark distortion, Suffo Breath, Blaze (~150), Ice Spike (~100): ~63dps

so yes i would definitly say we outdamage them, not to forget we have good effects with most of our spells
  14. ARCHIVED-Thyriel Guest

No it does not effect poison resist, but its a DoT also that does tick nice. The Poison resist debuff is lvl25 spell of warlocks
  15. ARCHIVED-Dzhokari Guest

They made Freezing Whorl debuff poison and disease a few patches ago. I definitely notice a difference in damage if it's not on a mob.
  16. ARCHIVED-Erowid Guest

I dunno..... it helps if you right click on the spell and read it...... Freezing Whorl does INDEED say disease somewhere in the description.
  17. ARCHIVED-DarkSyphon Guest

Adept 3 Dark Distortion is the holy grail imo. The damage difference is huge from Adept 1 to Adept3. Observing the damage I deal out on the same orange con 2 up mobs, mostly a difference of 100 at the very least. Was doing max of 502 with an average of 360s - 460s with Adept 1 and a max of 598 with an average of 430s - 540s with Adept 3 at lvl 32.

Edit: Oh yeah, my dirge friend was doing parses in Runny Eye earlier and I clocked in at 102 high with an average of 80s, very decent imo.
    Message Edited by DarkSyphon on 12-24-2004 05:30 AM
  18. ARCHIVED-Nightwolf78 Guest

Dark Distortion (Adpet 1) max hit 569 (with buffs)
    Nisl distortion (app 3) max hit 632 (with buffs)
  19. ARCHIVED-DarkSyphon Guest

I still got a level left so I'm guessing Adept 3 Dark Distortion would hit for 600s. Would be awesome to use them together. ^^
  20. ARCHIVED-Talasar Guest

This is true. Wizzies had a sorc debuff that helped their early Wiz spells, but Warlocks were SOL until 25, so they added a Poison debuff to FW to even things up. They didn't update the notes on the spell though.