Daily tradeskill quests

Discussion in 'Tradeskills' started by Domino, Sep 8, 2015.

1. Strings Well-Known Member

I also like tasks that are different each day. Variety is the hobgoblin of the spice of great minds thinking about stuff... Or however that expression goes.
  2. Meirril Well-Known Member

I'm just going to massage this a bit to introduce a new idea. Instead of having daily and weekly quests you could have a repeatable tradeskill quest line. Say 5-9 easy steps where you build up to a difficult final combine. You get a "daily" reward for each of the quests leading up to the final quest, and a "weekly" reward for the final quest in the line. Put a 5-7 day timer on the entire quest series and it is done.

Bonus points if a second and/or third quest series can be made so your not just repeating the same quest every week.
  3. Payer New Member

For me anything that lets me avoid zoning and log in times is a big win. I hate the log in time and zoning time, it just takes to long. Nothing like logging in a char to do a 30 second quest when it takes 2 mins to log in. If you have to zone the char to do the quest well add another 60 seconds of watching paint dry.

I really like the idea of picking up all the 'quests' for a week and then being able to do them in one sitting. That would really cut down on the log in server load as well, since its abysmal performance wise, maybe not having to log in every char every day would cut them some slack since it does not appear to be getting any better with age.
  4. Eradani Well-Known Member

tbh, this is exactly why i quit last time. i was doing research on 12 toons - 30 seconds for the quest and then 2 minutes playing freecell while switching toons. and i thought... i'm paying $15 a month to play freecell!!!
    Lateana likes this.
  5. Gharyn Well-Known Member

I find them all equally tedious. If I have a choice I will always pick the quickest to complete. As I do them more and more, the longer ones will start to be skipped. As soon as I have enough of whatever the reward is, I stop doing them.

There is no way to make repeatable quests enjoyable.

My two suggestions:
    1. Give players lots (and I mean LOTS) of quests and let them choose.
    2. The longer a quest takes, the bigger the reward should be.
    Elinea and GrunEQ like this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

I prefer the combo type quests as they're more interesting. However what I'd like most is that whatever we get for dailies comes in a set of 7 so that it's easy to keep track of which quest is on which day and avoid the ones you loathe the most :)
  7. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I like a combination of quests (not timed ones though). I don't bother heading off to parts distant to do the dailies though. Can't be bothered going to Vesspyr Islands to do that one, then Tranquil Seas/Phantom Seas to do those ones, etc. I don't have so much gaming time available to be taking all my crafters through each and every daily tradeskill quest.

I do quite like gathering quests - you get a chance for a rare and gathering can be relaxing. I haven't done many of the Far Seas group quests, because (as far as I remember) there is at least one where the zone is only available at particular times, and I a) can never remember when, and b) am in a different time zone so trying to work it out is a nightmare. One of my crafters has been sitting on this quest for years now, because I forget about it until it's too late, and then have to wait for that timing to come around again....by which time, I've forgotten about it.....
  8. Eradani Well-Known Member

i like the gathering quests for what's his name from the TS docks. i usually never do more than 1 a day as i turn in and pick up whenever i go through. he needs more variety in rewards though - think i've got a complete 80 piece setting, hehe.
    GrunEQ and Rhodris like this.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

one of the things that i liked about the kerran quests was that i could make extra pieces while on the quest and they became placeable objects in the house.

i really like tradeskill quest that give us something we can use again later. makes the quests something to go after. i liked the obal plains quests for the same reason. i don't mind if i can only make them while on the quest as long as i can get the quest at reasonable intervals and they don't become hidden from me after i have leveled past them. some quests you can't repeat and so if you wanted more of those objects you are simply out of luck. that i don't like.

i also won't run through several zones doing stuff in one day. if there is something i want, like from the kerrans, i will go do their quests but not any others unless there is something else i am working on in the area like faction. i won't do vesspyr and then go to tranquil seas.

also the isle of mara tradeskill missions - i would like to see those revamped to make them give more appropriate rewards and bring them up to date on the missions. they were fun for awhile, but now really hold no big value. you get more faction and more status doing other things. i really enjoyed the missions - even the rolling pin and spoons with their little buffs were cute and for awhile- usable.

i would also like to see another advance on tradeskill epics. i liked the one where we got the needles and other neat things, but i would like another one with higher rewards as my toons get higher on crafting. it kind of keeps crafting something to work for. those little rewards you get along the way that can be put in houses are nice. outmoded armor and tiny bags- not so useful.
    Moonpanther likes this.
  10. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I call him the 'hungry hobbit'. Some variety would be brilliant, I agree!
    Finora and Eradani like this.
  11. LordTiras Well-Known Member

I tend to enjoy anything that isn't timed. I do like collection and "make x of y items and bring them to <other person>", and similar as well, but in those cases the reward needs to be a little higher because, as others have pointed out, you're losing time zoning and traveling, as compared to something that is just "Make 10 of x, and you're done".
    What I think would be pretty cool to have would be a weekly "quest chain", that varied every time you did it (meaning, the first quest is randomly picked from a group, as is the second, as is the third, etc.). While each step gives you something small, completing it gives you something of more value and makes it worth doing the entire chain within the week you have. Where it'd be varied from a pile of quests, and could reward some kind of currency to spend on either TS, house, or other interesting items, it would have a lot of repeatability and would by less likely to turn tedious/boring.
  12. Finora Well-Known Member

Add some more tiers to his quest and a few more rewards*nod*
    GrunEQ likes this.
  13. Filly67 Well-Known Member

First off, thanks for asking for feedback. That alone is very much appreciated.

For my two cents, I love group crafting it's something different and fun that my husband and I can do together.

I also enjoy daily quest. The only thing that I don't enjoy about them is fighting over four nodes with 50 other people. I would like to see these dailies have more variety in where you can go and what needs to be done to complete them. If it's harvesting, make the zone larger for finding items.
  14. Filly67 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I love rush orders but other types of timed quests would completely stress me out.
    GrunEQ likes this.
  15. Filly67 Well-Known Member

And a new type of tradeskill epic for higher levels would be amazing.
    Rhodris likes this.
  16. oldskool Active Member

My favorite TS quests are those that are server wide, add to the storyline, and result in something being opened or reactivated. For example, the TS quests that came with DoV that resulted in the spires in EW and rings in GD being usable (IIRC.)

So, for me, I would like a combination of daily tasks that has some server goal to reach that rewards in tokens or something similar that eventually does something great. The tokens would eventually be spendable for perhaps crafting gear or a mount.
    GrunEQ and Rhodris like this.
  17. Lateana Older than Dirt, Playing EQII since 2004

What I would like to see is more quest lines like the ones in New Halas that have a different set of quests for good and evil added for each tier of crafting.

I don't bother with daily/weekly grind quests anymore. They take up too much of my time. I just keep a list of when my apprentices are due and log in on that day to start the next recipe hunt. I have three sets of crafters on three different servers,soon to be two :(
    Rhodris likes this.
  18. Domino Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the feedback on daily quests! I'll be making the upcoming expansion's repeatable quests this week and the suggestion that you still get 7 a week but can choose to do them all on the same day if you prefer is an interesting one. We're going to try this out and see how it goes. And based on the feedback above we'll keep mixing them up between harvesting, crafting, and going out and doing things.

The big group dungeons unfortunately take a LOT of time and effort to set up so there's not likely to be time for more of those in the immediate future. But, there will also be a nice tradeskill questline leading you into the expansion, with more rewards and more story.
    Moonpanther, Katz, Darln and 6 others like this.
  19. Filly67 Well-Known Member

20. Finora Well-Known Member

Excellent Domino! Thank you for asking our opinions!

One thing I would like to ask, is to please make it possible to get more of the harvestable/craftable house items after quests are completed. I was HUGELY disappointed doing the Raffik questline to discover I could no longer get the beautiful plant, Wild Flameflowers, in Vesspyr Isles after completing the quest. Thank goodness I have a veritable army of alts and will just not complete the questline on some of them, but not everyone has that.
    Moonpanther, Tkia, Katz and 1 other person like this.