Current Currency

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Guiscard, Mar 8, 2017.

1. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I don't think the cash price of krono is going up, is it?
  2. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can argue that cash items you can sell for plat DON'T push up the prices of items in the game. If i was coming across as implying that krono put plat into the actual game, that is obviously incorrect and I apologize for getting my words mixed up. But right now, cash items can make a level 0 player 700k or more plat. Now we have MORE people with millions of plat to throw around, which will inevitably drive up prices on items since there are more people who are game rich who can bid on them or are willing to purchase them at higher prices. If plat sellable cash items didn't exist, we would have many fewer players with loads of plat to throw around, That is my point. I don't think that situation would really be any better, since then the hard core plat earners of the game along with exploiters would have complete control. But to deny that cash items increase the plat prices on items, I feel, is clueless. Everyone I know who has a lot of plat in this game has earned a large chunk of that plat from krono sales, both real life purchasing to sell and buying low selling high.
  3. Fletch Active Member

Sorry I made an assumption that a simple line of logic could be followed, I will keep things in more simple terms in the future. To clarify this for you, I was referring to the in game price of kronos.
  4. Coty Member

Captain, buddy, Krono or any other cash items got nothing to do with the amount of plat they Value right now. None of the cash items introduce plat in game. Leave that be already lol.
    DoomDrake likes this.
  5. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Yeah I get that. And my point that you quoted was that people can get more plat for the real life money they spend than in the past. Whatever a krono costs used to get you 20k not too long ago. Now it gets you 700k. So for the same cash, people can be much more game rich than in the past. And since it is easy to become game rich right now, more people are rich in the game.
    The actual plat IN the game is obviously not influenced by this. However, the number of people who have a lot of plat IS influenced by this. And when more people have more money, the prices will go up on items because people are willing to spend their larger than ever before amounts of plat.

An example would be, I recently did some great SLR runs, along with finding a purple rune in KP that I was able to sell for a ton. This made me more rich than I had ever been in this game. Being newly rich, I was now able to purchase something that was being brokered at 900k. Previous to my newfound wealth, I never would have purchased a 900k item, and I would have waited for that item to come down. However, since I know that it is easy to make plat either by SLR or by purchasing a krono with real life money that I could then sell for a ton of plat, I was much more inclined to purchase that stupidly overpriced item.

Since it is easy to pay cash for plat, the plat prices of items will continue to go up as that plat that is already in the game in large quantities spreads itself around to more people who are willing to purchase items at these high prices. I don't understand why people are disagreeing with this.

I was wrong when I implied that krono ADD plat to the game. However, it is not incorrect to say that cash items cause inflation. It may not be the only reason, but it is a huge contributor. Easy plat means more willingness to pay higher prices.
  6. Jrox Well-Known Member

Really, so me saying he makes no sense by implying plat is being introduced to the game through the selling of kronos is ridiculous makes me mean? If you can't distinguish between what introduces money into a game and what circulates it, you really should not be commenting. I wasn't trying to be mean as much as point out the ridiculousness of the comment. But after reading how it came out I may have been a bit crude. My bad, but really? Introducing money to the game? This is not an opinion that adds to the conversation, it slows it down or even derails it. IMHO
  7. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Nothing you said bothered me, other than it was quoting a part of my posts that was not the most important part, and it was also a part that I had later clarified. I can take criticism of bad ideas. Though I will say that of people on this forum who should have their posting privileges revoked, I don't think I would be near the top of the list.
  8. Triplesix New Member

Well I understand what captain is pointing out and quite frankly he/she is mostly correct. Without kronos there would be a lot less people with large amounts of plat. Therefore there would be less people willing to bid up SLR items, meaning prices would for the most part stay down. The only difference between that and what we have now is that most people must actually purchase a krono with real life money to get the plat to bid on the SLR items. Its not like those same people wouldnt have bid on the SLR items before there were kronos and major inflation, they would have, its just the fact it would have cost way less plat and they wouldnt have to have gotten that plat with real life money they could easily farm for it.
  9. Fletch Active Member

When kronos sold for 20k that was a decent amount of plat. Now if the krono sells for 700k that is a decent amount of plat. Inflation decreases purchase power per unit of currency. I've been paying plat for kronos for years to hedge inflation and I can say that it takes me about the same amount of time in game to make enough plat for a krono as if did years ago. That is due to the fact that kronos are a commodity that increases in value as inflation increases. Kronos do not drive inflation but rather inflation drives krono prices.
  10. Jrox Well-Known Member

Good, because you should never be bothered by someone in a forum like this. And yes, there are many many more that are deserving of the forum ban! I'll admit I didn't see your point when I wrote that original post. I still don't necessarily agree either.

Krono's, in my opinion have zero weight on our market other than a way for the 99% to think they have a shot at becoming the one percent. It sounds over simplified, but it's true. You could have made 150mil plat in the first four weeks of this xpack off of keys and collections alone. But if you came in late, or you didn't have the time to sit there and grind out 100 keys a day and run the heroics (all of them) twice a day for SLR and collections that you could sell and not use for yourself then you fell behind. Some folks are in it solely to increase their toon with no real care for a bunch of plat. Some want the plat to buy things like ancient spell upgrades to make their toon better and will farm plat because of it. Then there is the one percent who feed off of controlling the market on their server or even multiple servers. I am sure everyone here knows one of those people. If you peruse through your broker market system you will find a name that keeps popping up and he/she always has lots of what ever the item is from buying and selling to drive prices up on that item.

This is absolutely no different than commodities in the real world and how it works. You have the happy guy who likes to spend what he has on the go, the girl who likes to save for certain slightly more expensive things, the couple who saves for a rainy day, and then you have "The Wolf on Wall Street". None of these people is doing anything wrong or outside the rules of the game. But! If Daybreak is buying the Krono's and driving up the market price or any other commodity than the market is being artificially inflated and game currency is going to get into deeper water and eventually everything will be out of whack! So if the devs are up to something to generate profits on the subs or on the selling of Kronos then shame on them. But then again, who cares if it makes them the money they need to finally put out more descent content and keep my game going!
    captainbeatty451 likes this.
  11. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

The reason many people can get rich quick in plat in this game is purchasable items like krono. No matter what we're value we're talking about, if purchasable items did not exist, fewer people would be plat rich. I use too many words in my posts and I talk myself into statements that may be misconstrued. But the only thing I ever wanted to say on this topic was that things like krono make more people plat rich in the game, and the more people who are plat rich, the higher prices will get since more people feel comfortable bidding on those inflated prices. Take away cash items, and it would be a lot harder for a large number of people to have a large quantity of plat, so inflation would happen more slowly. Krono is just the most common cash item that people sell for large quantities, so I used them as my example.
    Jrox likes this.
  12. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

That is where I completely disagree with you. The script has changed drastically in the last year. Supply and demand has flipped almost completely around. With alts practically out of the picture, almost half as many raid guilds as the previous expansion, and a lessening population the supply line has shrank quite a bit. Everything has skyrocketed. The initial boost has happened every expansion and never drove the price 5 months into an expansion. It would normally stabilize after the first month or 2. Not marginally rise in the beginning and then jump almost halfway in.

I have 2 kronos sitting on my account that I don't know if I will ever come back to use them just because 3/4 of my time was simply earning them when they were 350-400k. A dupe is still technically open just with flood gates on it. I am still trying to figure out how "Real World Economic" are being applied to a video game. There is absolutely no comparison. Maybe they should apply taxes in the next expac to make it fit this classification everyone keeps trying to put it under. Maybe DBG should be the only ones selling the krono. I don't know that makes sense to me. I can guarantee you it wouldn't be like this if third party sites weren't involved. You don't need a diploma or degree to see that. Enforcing rules has been a problem for a long time. There is no specialized education that will overcome that.
  13. Zeddicious Well-Known Member

lol this thread.
    one guy yappin about in-game economics. others about kronos...

Why hasn't anyone pointed out the actual source of all this "newly found" plat? Where's it come from? Why is it, I log out on Friday night and by Sunday afternoon - kronos increase 250k in price on the broker? Where'd they get the plat to buy up all the 600k kronos? Yeah, you know where.

Ya'll will never bamboozle me with catch phrases like "in-game economy" - when in all actuality we KNOW where the plat comes from, but are just too scared to admit it - for fear of having that well dry up.

I know you've seen 'em in game. Players with names like Fafliewar wanting to buy 30 kronos. A level 1 mule. Sure.

Problem is - its gone unchecked too long and I doubt there's going to be any way to stop it. Provided someone is "buying kronos at 800k" the plat will continue to flow. Where that other level 1 player named Xiealfeasr got that 800k is the real question...and don't tell me its from SLR and shines... wtf. That's just moving plat thats already IN the game. Someone's done some digital no-no's and increased the amount of plat in-game by some other nefarious means.

So talk about economy all ya want. Talk about loyalty tokens all ya want. There's a huge plat "something" going on, and all the economic jibber jabber wanna-be smokescreen cant cloud that issue - because.. "found the duper" just comes to mind.
    Snikkety and Meneltel like this.
  14. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

The plat isn't newly found just because someone has been saving up for a good while to clear out the brokers. It has happened before. The price jumped in AoM by 4 times the original listings. This isn't as drastic as you make it sound. The numbers seem that much greater just because there are more zeros but 500-600k to 900k is not the same as 8k to 32k over night. Part of the jump is due to people taking advantage of the early sales and rares. I have also witnessed players (Skyfire specifically) paying ridiculous amounts of money for resolve gear because nobody informed them they didn't need excess to increase their damage. It is a combination of a bunch of things that someone took advantage of. Shared bank is your friend btw.
  15. Fletch Active Member

I'm curious how many kronos you think DBG is selling in order to make enough people "rich" to increase inflation in items. I understand your arguement, I just don't think the volume of krono sales would likely be large enough to contribute to inflation in a meaningful way. I don't have access to krono sales figures so I can't say for certain.
  16. Fletch Active Member

You disagree with a fact? If it takes you longer than it used to then you have not adapted well to changes in the economy.
  17. Melt Actually plays the game

You literally proved his point. The AoM currency burst was an exploit.
  18. Melt Actually plays the game

So how did people get plat in the millions? Selling things. Where did that plat come from? That is a much more complex question. There are very few plat sinks in this game. Infusing, sure, but that won't dispell a few million plat. The short answer to the question is simply that this game is old. As the level cap increased, the currency rewards had to rise as well to entice people to do new stuff. So the game starts out with copper. Then to silver, gold, platinum. For several expansions, singular quests have been giving plat. Even stuff as old as CoE can sell to merchants for plat. Exploits happen now and then, which generate plat. But really, you have a few thousand people, (idk exact numbers) playing this game for 13 years. Is it really a surprise that plat is inflating? The most recent hyperinflation could be an old account with tons of plat from AoM coming back. One person in my guild a few months back came back to the game and as soon as he hit 100 he started bidding in auction channel. He had himself pretty much all the 1k items in a few days. He came BACK to the game with a few million plat sitting around. And there are probably many others. Kronos do not generate plat. They spread it.

TLDR - Plat isn't coming into the game. It's always been here and Kronos only distribute it.
  19. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Well my definition of rich might be a bit hazy. What i'm talking about is that it is currently easy to quickly make 700k in order to bid on items that are being sold for 700k. Don't have it in your bag? Buy and sell a krono. Or take one of those krono that you have stockpiled from when they were cheaper and sell that on the broker. The people in my guild who bid on items frequently and have millions of plat are people who purchase krono. It's that simple. They also do other things like shiny selling, SLR, merc selling, loyalty points, etc etc. So no, it's definitely not just krono that do it. But if you remove cash items or never had them in the game at all, inflation would be waaaaay lower. When you give people the option to make game cash quickly with real cash, it will quickly escalate. Anyone can pay money. Not everyone is good enough to SLR or shiny hunt.
  20. RedvsBlue Well-Known Member

How is selling PLing, shineys, and quickly earned items an exploit. Go ahead I will give you all the time you need to prove that one to me.