Current Currency

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Guiscard, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Fletch Active Member

This has always been a rich persons game. The person that could afford master level spells and fabled adornments back in the day had a distinct advantage over people who could not, going back over a decade. You do not need to spend real money on kronos to acquire wealth it is simply another way to do it. I know several people with double digit millions that have never paid for kronos.
    This is not as easy as you think. The hyperinflation introduced a level of plat that Sony never had to deal with. As you stated taking money out of the system with plat sinks is the only way to reduce the inflation without punishing people who have worked to build wealth. In order to make a difference the plat sink would have to be large (in the millions of plat) and the benefit would have to be great enough to entice people to spend millions of plat. That is easy enough, the hard part is to make that benefit not so powerful as to leave the people who can not afford it in the dust. So far DBG has tried a couple of things but they didn't quite work out as well as they had hoped.
    The good news is that inflation in the game really doesn't matter. Everything costs more but you can make more plat than before. The only down side is that people like you who returned from what I can only guess was years away from the game find that the amount of currency they have is useless. Join a guild and make some friends, they can help you learn how to make some plat.
  2. Fletch Active Member

Sorry, that is not how it works. Inflation was in the game for many years before kronos, in fact some level of inflation is necessary in the game economy.
  3. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

My point is if things like kronos didn't exist, where would the plat come from? Right now, people can buy a krono and get instant 600k (750k yesterday) plat. Where else can you instantly get 600k plat without actually playing the more difficult content of the game? The question is always asked, where does this plat come from? Well, every single person I know who has a lot of plat, and I mean a LOT of plat, buys and sells krono.
  4. Fletch Active Member

Please explain how you think kronos introduce plat into the economy.
  5. Moorefallen Active Member

Kronos Do not Generate plat for the game. The plat used to buy kronos has to already be in the game.
    Lucus likes this.
  6. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

They don't. But they are a source of driving up prices on items. I would say one of the primary sources of driving up prices, since it is so easy to quickly obtain plat with them. Regardless of what the actual number of plat is, krono has always, in my experience, been THE way to get plat fast if you need it. Whether it was 20k or 600k. Items you can purchase for real money and then sell in the game for plat are a huge source of inflation.

Anyway, i'm not arguing to take them out or that they are a bad thing. I'm not even arguing. I'm just throwing out they one thing that I see as making more people tons of plat to throw around. The question here was about inflation, and I do feel that purchasable items that you can sell contribute significantly to inflation since they are easy to obtain and yield big (ever increasing) results.

I think if you didn't have these types of items, one problem would be that a small percentage of the playerbase would have a stranglehold on the economy of the game. So that situation would also be bad.

Purchasable items even the field a bit, but they also make it a lot easier for more people to have a lot of plat, which then causes more people to be able to bid on items, which then causes items to skyrocket in price because of more people with more plat bidding on them or willing to purchase them for those higher prices that would not be achievable by a lot of people if purchasable items that you can sell for plat didn't exist. You would have the 7 people in game with millions of plat get their items, and then those items would sit there forever and the price would go down eventually. What we have now, is instead of only a few people with millions of plat, we have many many people in that situation. And how did many of them get rich quick? Selling krono.
  7. Meneltel Well-Known Member

The only ones who can answer this are the ones with lots of plat (and some of them made that selling rare shinies) but then still didn't create the plat, just helped it along to other people. The real ones who created it and could tell us (if they went thru their logs to find out) is DBG. But they aren't talking. So we will never know. So keep the conspiracy theories coming, folks! Plenty of room for more... and some of them are quite probable!
  8. rutro Well-Known Member

What would happen if the same rich people sold loot rights for 10k-300k or so a drop, bought all the cheap krono, SOLD THE CHEAP KRONO FOR OUTRAGEOUS PRICES, and controlled the economy? The game is top heavy. The same people selling you loot rights for thousands of plat are also buying up your kronos and robbing you blind by jacking up the cost of kronos. Someone bought all the current kronos for like 200K plat or so and rose the price to 600. Rinse/repeat. I suppose the SLR people and DBG is VERY happy ATM.
  9. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

And this type of inflation you speak of here also benefits people who are willing to pay real life money, because now they get more bang for their buck when they purchase a krono. And it increases the number of players with tons of plat to throw around, which continues to drive SLR prices and krono plat prices and ethereal rune prices etc etc through the roof.
  10. rutro Well-Known Member

And leaves the people that just want to play a game in the dust....
  11. captainbeatty451 Well-Known Member

Well, I don't really see how this would bother a casual player. There is a lot to be done in this game along with easy ways to make 'maintenance of character' levels of plat. Like selling keys.

I would actually argue that the plat inflation is good for the game, since it allows me to actually get something out of a dungeon run where if SLR for decent returns wasn't a thing, I would get no useful drops once I already get them, and thus less motivation to group once I got what I wanted. SLR, and people out there willing to buy things for at least 10k plat allow my dungeoning to be rewarding even if the loot is not something I desire personally.

I'm someone who has never purchased a krono and only recently started making more use of SLR, and yet my entire experience with eq2 has been fun and progressive.
    Revanu likes this.
  12. rutro Well-Known Member

Well, it appears you are one of the elitists that seem to be killing this once good game. Good luck when there is no one left to SLR to...later
  13. Revanu Well-Known Member

salt much?
    Jrox likes this.
  14. Fletch Active Member

Seriously now, does this really add up in your head?
  15. Fletch Active Member

You stated in another post that inflation in krono prices is driving up the prices on SLR and other items which would mean that people would get the same bang for their buck do you see the contradiction?
  16. rutro Well-Known Member

See what happens...and blame it on being a 12 yr old game...LMAO! Good luck!! Have fun playing with no one....
  17. Nero Active Member

In all fairness, it is not the SLR people that are driving up the price, but the people bidding. I still start my auctions at 10k, and who am i to stop the auction of 5 people are duking it out and a 100 potency item ends up selling for an outrageous amount of platt? Some people just have a hole burning in the their pocket i guess...
  18. Jrox Well-Known Member

Yes, I make much more and have not even purchased a single Krono, (yet lol), to increase my bank!

I would prefer to start my auctions at like 100K-200K sometimes, just because I know it's going to sell for that. But then you get the cheap ***** and haters all screaming at once. So I go back to 50K starts and it's all good again and sure enough the items go for well over the 1-200 I wanted to start with... But just like I said, haters will hate.

You, my friend, are clueless. Your posting privileges should be revoked... Just sayin...
  19. Fletch Active Member

I have no worries about the game lasting as long as I choose to keep playing it. The day it takes me more than ten minutes to form a group I'll get back to you. In the mean time either follow through on your repeated threats to quit the game or educate yourself on simple economic theory, you really sound foolish on these forums.
  20. Meneltel Well-Known Member

The same applies to you, imho. Not for your cluelessness, but your impoliteness. Everyone is allowed to have an opinion and express it unless it violates the rules. His have not yet, nor have yours. But if he should be revoked, so should yours.
    Coty and Prissetta like this.