Critail Failure should end for lowbie

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Maroger, Jun 28, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

The cost of critial failures is too high for level 1-20 and the success is too low. NO MORE CRITICAL FAILURES for level 1-20,
    Also reduce the critical failure penalty for 20-40
    Our arts are too low to deal with a critical failure they need to stop - it is making crafing a ROYAL AND BORING PITA.
    We need more quests to get through these hell levels of crafting - otherwise make it a one click like EQ1.
  2. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

What recently changed that justifies this kind of easy button?
  3. ARCHIVED-Lempo Guest

Nothing really. Just more of the instant gratification mentality.
    The desire to spam 4,5,6 as fast as possible and not pay attention to events that need to be countered.
    Maybe I am just missing something. Yes the failures I made on the most recent TS (Jeweler) I was working on and surprisingly I stopped for now at level 40... The failures were hard to recover from but manageable I see no reason for them to change, of course I want TS to go back to WORTs.
  4. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

Atan@Unrest wrote:
    they 'recently' convoluted crafting progression. the teens and twenties are unbearable. have you leveled a toon thru that range recently?

the uniformity of progress here is somewhat confused.

for crafting, exp gain and challenge both decrease as you level. for adventuring, exp gain decreases, but challenge increases.

i think it has to do with toon progression vs content progression. toons progress in both sides, but only adv content actually gets harder.

i have workarounds since i just pop progress and/or innovation pots for my lowbies. but the teens especially are a huge obstacle for anyone trying to get interested in a crafting career who dont have pots. level 20 is minimum for using aa tree. maybe this could be lowered to level 5...then ppl have a tool to fight the crit failure rate, if they have some aa to burn.

you can spend 20 seconds on a gopher quest and gain a level (in the teens), then spend >5 minutes on the next quest because it requires 5 (FIVE) combines. 2 innovation pots saves 5+ minutes of your life you would have otherwise spent. 5 combines at level 15 is currently monstrous in the grand scheme of things.
  5. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

ratbast wrote:
    Yes, I leveled a toon to 60 in a day recently. I didn't have any issues so long as I didn't futz up my reactions.

I also have 8 tradeskillers, and I've never, ever, EVER spent an aa on tradeskilling. Nor have I ever bothered to put on the TS gear I get every so often.
    The process is insanely simple, if anything it all should be like the teens than the other way around.
  6. ARCHIVED-ratbast Guest

did you use any pots thru the teens?
  7. ARCHIVED-decator666 Guest

I think crafting is insanely easy in this game especially compared to other games which usually require you to dungeon crawl or spend millions on mats to get leveled up.
    Before I was in a guild and raised my provisioning to 92 it didn't cost me more than 1 p as I wasn't making any money then and mostly spending profits from my workorders or harvesting my own mats.
    Levels 1-20 I don't remember being a challenge since 1-10 are given to you from the learning quest line. 11-15 you do have to craft junk items but the bar moves fast as they are low levels. 15-20 just do the regular work orders piece of cake from there.
    I don't mind this as I will be crafting all my chars to 92 eventually and think it should be reasonably easy to get to 92 and not cost an arm and a leg. The crafting on this game is very balanced. Try crafting on Vanguard yikes.
  8. ARCHIVED-Yimway Guest

ratbast wrote:
    Only an xp pot.
    I save the progress pots for leveling tinkering, since that is a different animal and every one of my 24+ toons needs maxed tinkering =)
  9. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

ratbast wrote:
    Yes I have. And it is even easier than it used to be. If you bother to pay attention there is almost no chance of failure.
    Something happened while I was doing combines that resulted in me having to leave the keyboard mid combine, when I got back my 4yr old had hopped on the computer & was crafting without much issue. She failed a couple of times but she'd also never crafted before & had had no instruction on how to do it. It's not THAT bad. As far as I know the failure penalties (like most things with crafting ) are percentages anyway. I could be mistaken in that but I never looked into it because it's been a non-issue for me.
    1-10 is trivial. 11-15 is fairly quick with the new quests. 15-19 isn't bad either with the writs that were added in. All the rest is more of the same. Do your writs, if you are sick of writs run out and do the various quests for the tier to get your advanced books, rares & mounts & get your harvesting up.

** and just to add, there is nothing recent about crafting being easier the more skilled you become (leveling up). It's been that way for a very long time**
  10. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

Maroger wrote:
    You'd seriously like to have a click & pray system like eq1? Rather than a system where you actually have some control over the outcome?
  11. ARCHIVED-Zeedlana Guest

Seriously? Wow...with the quests and everything I find it quick and easy to blow through crafting to lvl 20. That's like the quickest and easiest part of crafting as far as I know. In fact, I love doing the evil side of the New Halas crafting quests from lvl 10 onward. I've actually only done the good side once.
    I wish there were more crafting quest lines for each level after the gnomes for lvl 30s because I find them fun (and I can never get the dang advanced books to drop for my carp. Everything but hers...but if I'm careful and watch the broker I can usually find the ones I want for not too overly much)
    And my carpenter? She's gone from lvl 49 to her mid sixties doing nothing but root beer the past couple months. Boring as hell, but I have these other toons who have this thing for gardens in crazy places...so I guess it all works out in the end.
    You want easy put you to sleep no fail crafting? Go play LOTRO. Last time I was there it was the single most boring system ever. Just tell it to craft all or however many you needed for something and get up and leave the room. You only ever needed to repair your tools after a few hundred items.
    Even when I get frustrated at a fail, or I'm half asleep and my fingers hit the wrong number, I still have more fun crafting in this game than any other. And that includes however many old failed attempts at making that danged Trueshot bow back in EQ1.
  12. ARCHIVED-d1anaw Guest

Maroger wrote:
    Crafting has never been fail safe in the game. Right now we are constantly bombarded with how "easy" it is. As a consequence, crafting isn't given the respect as a play style that it should have. The first 20 levels of crafting ARE easy and crafting in some areas has always been a PIA. So is aquiring faction. So is aquiring AA enough to be able to level. I don't see any reason to do away with critical failure. The only reason to do so is so that you can walk away and not be penalized for it. Well too bad. If you hit the keys right, and it's not rocket science, you won't get a failure. If you choose to walk away, they you do so at your own peril, even at the higher levels.
  13. ARCHIVED-d1anaw Guest

ratbast wrote:
    Actually I have. A couple of them. And I usually only had to do one or two things to get to the next level. I had forgotten how easy those very low levels are. I'm not overjoyed that they took away from the exp boost for the first of an item. I think that was a mistake. And I didn't see it really made up in the overall level, but I still zipped right though the first twenty levels without even trying.
  14. ARCHIVED-d1anaw Guest

Finora@Everfrost wrote:
    I didn't craft much in eq1. I found it frustrating. You had very little bank space, no houses to store stuff, the bags were tiny in comparasion to what we have now and everything you put in it added weight and could slow you down, and it was a real PIA.
  15. ARCHIVED-Spender Guest

Maroger wrote:
    How sad; no wonder these games have become so dumbed down.
  16. ARCHIVED-Maroger Guest

Critical failures are hell for lowbies. We used to be able to make up for it with the First Time XP - but they took that away and that has made crarfting TRULY SUCK.
    We need our first time XP bonus back - that made progress so much faster. Pluse we need more quest so we don't have to grind those awful writs.
    Crafting has been made truly boring and a readl PITA. It is now right up there with transmuting as a PITA.
  17. ARCHIVED-Kenazeer Guest

So please, do tell, if you sit down with the intention of levelling a toon, how long does this "hell" last for you?
  18. ARCHIVED-Finora Guest

Maroger wrote:
    You still get xp as long as you finish at least the first bar and you get your fuel back. Yes the xp is less than it would be if you finished the combine, but you don't walk away with nothing. XP from writs is massive though. If you choose to not do writs for whatever reason, you are truly shooting yourself in the foot.
    And the only thing painful about transmuting is getting the lower level stuff to transmute if you don't want to spend a bunch on the broker.
    Much like any other portion of the game, if you think it sucks so incredibly bad, don't do it. Do tell the devs why you don't like it but it's silly to spend your time doing something you hate in a game you are paying to play presumably for fun.
  19. ARCHIVED-Smirkey_of_Nektulos Guest

Maroger wrote:
    I gotta tell you right now that the problem you're having is more chair-to-keyboard interface than anything else.
    My wife and I have each leveled at least 9 crafters to 92. We have done thousands of writs and each spent hundreds of hours harvesting.
    In all of this time I can count on one hand the number of times I have failed at a rush order writ due to an unlucky chain of critical failures. In fact, there are only two times I can remember because it had me literally laughing my posterior off, and I have an excellent memory.
    And this was in the day before tradeskill AAs and the awesome Potion of Progress. This was when it was just you vs. the events. I pay attention when I craft, and screw up a counter maybe one time in 100. I've gotten dozens of Favor of Innovation counters and have yet to miss my free completion and rare.
    That's all you need to do. Just pay freaking attention and use third grade logic as to when to switch from spamming the progress buffs to spamming the durability ones, or using a combination of the two.
    Now, you add in those 40 Tradeskill AA and suddenly what was barely a challenge at all becomes a picnic in the park on a Sunday with perfect weather and not a mosquito or stinging insect for miles.
    Just slow down, pay attention, and do things right without making more than a rare oopsie mistake. There is absolutely no excuse to fail more than one combine per month of heavy crafting. No how, no way.
  20. ARCHIVED-SiegaPlays Guest

Maybe the problem is a laggy connection rather than the critical failures. When I use my mothers PC at her house, netspike issues galore there, the crafting has a higher tendency to fail and rush orders can be rather frustrating, as if the critical failures does not pop up or the connection is so so laggy I do not get the chance to counter complications before they proc.
    At home I fail 1 out of 100 combines mostly due to getting distracted by the television or reading game blogs at the same time
    From 1-45ish there are multiple crafting quest lines to avoid some of the recipy grinding.
    Oddly enough they have felt a bit lacking in xp the last 2 crafts I did, despite the 140% vet bonus I had from the first 7 crafts. Like I did not get as far with the quest lines the last 2 crafts I levelled. Not that I mind, more rush orders = guild status = guild levels, so yeah for that, the guild is in serious need of some guild xp
    From lvl 80 it is still a breeze getting to 92 with SF, DoV and Skyshrine craft quests and a couple of rush orders