Fixed Internally Crashing becoming a common thing

Discussion in 'Resolved' started by Unnattural, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Shonshazzitt Active Member

So I started playing about 310am this morning, and its now 540am. In that time, I have had 1 'unrecoverable error' message and 2 game just disappears and gone right to desktop like I was never playing, and 1 coming out of renfrys and kick to char select.

Not too bad for 2 hrs into the game.
    I am trying something, I deleted every PAK file in the PAK folder, and re downloading them all to see if that helps any.
    barcevik likes this.
  2. Shonshazzitt Active Member

Well that thought lasted for about 2hrs, then boom, game gone, zoning into the GH, and right to desktop... if 64bit is the answer, it cant get here soon enough.
  3. Taled Well-Known Member

For future reference - You only need to *start* the camp process, usually, in this case. As soon as you sit down and the timer to camp starts, you can stand back up and it should work.

It's something to do with your client being out of sync with the instance of the character logged in, and the camping process forces it to resync, I think. Most likely because it needs to force a resync to prevent any potential rollback/dupe/etc.
    Rattophaxe and Twyla like this.
  4. KingDragon Active Member

Renfry's keeps getting me - normally when using the clicky, using the door doesn't so much. I also tend to get that damned annoying chime spam of friends coming online, going offline, coming back online and it's usually a guild hall or Renfry's from what I see in "community" description.

It reminds me of what happens when a person logs into a load balanced application, is handed to the F5/other load balancer (which is not configured appropriately on the loadbalancer, the app server or both) and it times out the session causing disconnection and P3 or higher calls. So whatever application/appliance you are using to do the authentication to the loadbalancer, to the zone servers likely needs looked at.

I agree I don't experience LD's when going to pretty much anything older than Planes of Prophecy, anything newer has LD's, CD zones aren't that bad. VoV can literally be any zone, but Renfry' is horribly the worst offender, guildhalls and personal homes are a good second from my experiences/visibility.

I don't get errors or dump files, I just go back to characters select (ALOT) or less frequently the game just sits at "waiting on zone" until I decide to close the app manually and relaunch. I tend to keep my alts grouped so they can see the toon leave group so I know it's a bad zone.

On another point I recall a troubleshooting endeavor in futility at one of my old jobs, we had users report random "slowness" in apps like Remote Desktop on App servers, file transfer disconnects, and a bunch of other "weirdness" which was eventually pinpointed to a not yet failed, but failing connector on an Nexus 7K causing packets to believe they could go out B side but couldn't or could start but would time out and never kick over to A side. Replacing that cable resolved that issue for over 100 clients. It took too long to find/diagnose because the network technicians were skimming error logs and not actually reading the data.
    Juraiya, barcevik and Twyla like this.
  5. Menoric Member

Getting the same two crashes other posters have shown. Either the screenshotted one (G:\live\eq2\framework\...) or just just straight to desktop. This has all VASTLY increased since the GU went live. I was experiencing these crashes 1-3 times per week to getting these crashes 3-4 times per DAY now. The GU has some underlying problem in it, but it still looks like the crashes we've experienced in the past. If the 64-bit client fixes this, can we move to this sooner than later? Next patch would be great! :)
  6. barcevik New Member

I'm having all the issues that has been mentioned on previous posts and I'm probably crashing more than people mentioned. Whether it is Darq, Drums or Profit UI, it does not seem to have effect on random crashes.

This thread has been started almost 3 months ago and marked as "Info Needed". So what info is being needed from us and can any Dev update us about any solutions please or do we have to wait till July for 64-bit?
  7. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

Random crash to desktop?
    Yes. Frequently, though I never raid. When it happens, it happens when either zoning (random locations) or camp to alt character. Also, has not been consistent with where I'm zoning/logging into. If there's error messages, they haven't popped up onto my screen where I can see them.
    *edit*
    I do not use any 3rd party software.
  8. Siberys New Member

[IMG]

This issue happens for me practically every day. I do not use any custom UI solutions like DarqUI - the only "third-party" thing I have is EQ2Maps. While most have reported this crash to be from zoning, logging, or standing in guildhall, this error occurs for me far more often in overland zones or contested dungeons. This error has occurred most frequently for me in Lavastorm at the Temple of Solusek Ro, the Sundered Frontier at Paineel, and The Hole contested dungeon. It does not, therefore, seem to be exclusively tied to newer-expansion zones - it is game-wide. I am certain that I have DirectX 9.0c and I play with the full download, rather than the streaming version. My game was installed through Steam.

Many of the other posts in this thread point to this specific C++ file as the destination of the issue (though it's certainly possible that a chain reaction beginning elsewhere and ending in this file has occurred). Though the bytes seem to vary, the line locations have been consistent throughout this thread. Lines 15799 and 16232 are the two consistent lines of code that cause the crash from the DirectX9RenderDevice.cpp file. All crashes relating to CDLODStreamingTypeTextureBase.cpp are universally caused by line 233. I would strongly recommend that developers start with examining these offending lines in both files and reversing the problem from there to its source. I would love to try and pin down the problem myself via x32dbg via manual debugging or a traceback, but since EQ2 is an online game, that is not possible.

Eagerly awaiting a status update for this problem. In the meantime, I will try to dig up more information to help the developers.
    Orionza, Juraiya and barcevik like this.
  9. Tannie Member

I have identical error you described. That could have been my post.

I would add this: A fault like this is likely a null pointer passed somewhere up the stack as you say. In considering the expac factor my wild guess is they have a class (or struct) that was updated in new expac and was not updated in an old dependency library still needed in the old expac. Causing a new expac function during the zoning to accept a pointer to an invalid memory structure and vis-a-versa. A callback addr or pointer passed or set that is used by DirectX when zoning?

But like I say it's a wild guess. I wonder what the true cause is.

p.s. You can hook a debugger to it but you have to be able to read assembly/machine code as you will have no symbols.
    Siberys likes this.
  10. Siberys New Member

Yup! I have previously used x32dbg (and its 64-bit cousin) for some reverse engineering work before, so I'm aware that I would have to sift through x86 assembly (though for a game as big as EQ2, that's a very daunting task). My concerns were more that hooking a debugger to an online game such as EQ2 would be in violation of their EULA. I'd definitely want to see if Daybreak/Darkpaw Games would be okay with that before I attempted such a thing.

I'll also note that this crash occurs even when not zoning. I can stay in the same zone for hours and I will still crash. Having done some digging, the DirectX crash has been a frequently posted about problem over the years (since 2007!). The line positions are what differ and occasionally there are slightly different errors, but that DirectX file is cited every time in the error reports.
  11. Telepath Active Member

we lose 2-3 players per attempt at Flora maldehyde in the new raid zone due to crashes and it wipes us every time. This zone has huge problems.
  12. Tannie Member

Yes I experience that as well. I have had success in getting the crashed to be must less frequent by setting the Anti-Aliasing Buffer to "None". Crashing when standing there is very rare now and zone crashing is rare as well, although it will occasionally happen but not near the rate at which it was happening.

p.s. I have my graphics tweaked up pretty high. Also I agree DirectX may be handling something badly. The question is why only after the expac did this flare up. DirectX didn't change.
    Siberys and barcevik like this.
  13. Tannie Member

Something else to think about is that while you're just standing there and just before the crash maybe another toon with a new expac graphic object (textures so probably armor?) come within your view range and inadvertently causes your client to call this "bad" outdated library only when this happens making it seem like it's a crash for no reason

Just trying to think out of the box..
  14. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

No, the new assets load when they push on Tuesdays.

The problem is that as we get more art, and more detailed art, it eats memory. Windows won't allow you to access very much memory at all - just 4GB. The game currently can't take advantage of more,or multicore architecture, etc.

This is why we're all hoping the 64-bit client/server upgrades this summer will fix crashing and lag.
    Twyla likes this.
  15. Tannie Member

My references was the VoV expac (new) and the previous one.
  16. Anatha Active Member

I have experienced shutdowns in the past. Didn't happen too often so dealt with it. Today I logged in to do my weekly solo and in each zone I have experienced multiple shutdowns. The game just completely shuts down. No warning or error messages. I have checked my files, cleared my cache, rebooted my computer, my video card drivers are up to date. Not sure what is going on but it's making it impossible to play now. I have filed a bug report. I am on Skyfire server.
    Allumette likes this.
  17. Allumette Member

Chiming in to co-sign Anatha's post -- I'm also on Skyfire, not that I suspect it matters. Over the last few days, I've had a major increase in silent shutdown-style crashes. No error message, nothing I could find in Windows logs; the client just shuts down. In the last 24 hours, I've experienced it in the H2 Heroic Den -- three times, although interestingly/maddeningly, I ran the H1 a few hours earlier with no problem whatsoever. The nightmare situation, however, was last night in the Castle Vacrul: Thirst for Power raid zone, where I experienced crashes throughout, including no fewer than nine shutdowns during the Heir Apparent fight.

One thing that I've noticed: It *may* have something to do with how the Castle zones (and maybe Den as well?) handle hidden player illusions. I usually run a mystic moppet/Kael vision/Blessing of Xegony combo, and even before the crashing started, I found that it would often turn off my 'hide illusion' setting at seemingly random points in the zone, so I'd suddenly turn into a Billy doll, or a Kael giant. That was happening last night as well, although when I tried to revert back to my hide-illusion, it would crash the client. (I did try removing all three illusions, but unfortunately, the crashes continued.) It also seemed to happen during very add-heavy fights and, weirdly, occasionally when either I would die or the mob would die.

FINALLY, I add this bit of possibly totally irrelevant anecdata: The only other time I've experienced this type of crash -- which, again, isn't a traditional crash with an error message or a blue screen o' death, but just shuts down the client -- was during the final step of the Bristlebane deity quest, when it turns you into a meatbeast. Although some of my characters were able to do it with no trouble at all, I had two where as soon as the transformation took place, the client would shut down. (100 per cent reproducible, 100 per cent inexplicable.) I was never able to find a fix, so I just gave up eventually, but I've seen at least one other person raise the same complaint, so I'm wondering if that could be a clue.

Edited to correct the name of the raid zone!
  18. jbc1948 Well-Known Member

The last couple of weeks there has been a marked increase is crashes. Mostly unrecoverable error when zoning some when camping to another toon. A couple just right to the desktop. No 3rd party UI except Eq2maps. Have always have had them happen but they were very rare. Now it can be multiple times a day.
  19. Ratalthor Developer

Is anybody experiencing these crashes playing on the Beta server? Beta is currently set up with the 64-bit Server and Client which we speculate will reduce crashing.

If you would like to play on Beta and don't know how to, you can check out the article here: https://www.everquest2.com/news/eq2-how-to-join-beta
  20. Keinersonerster New Member

I've had zero crashes in beta in about 40 hours play time. The only issue I had was disappearing water.