Crash Errors [On going] w/ screenshots

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by FuRiouSOne, Jan 6, 2018.

1. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

Since the petition support system isnt helping nor wishes to try to help as they continue to copy paste the same response for every crash issue (update drivers, update windows, yada yada yada). Hopefuly an actual developer may see this and take note of the crash codes i will provide each time i receive a crash with a new code and possibly they can track down this on going issue thats been happening for years.

Every few hours of running the game it tends to crash with some sort of streaming issues loading textures/terrain and such im assuming. I have yet to be able to run this game longer then a 4 hour session but yet i can run other MMOs (WoW, Elder Scrolls Online, Black Desert, etc) for 10+ hours and some of those games are much more modern tech with higher recourse demanding then EQ2.

Below are 2 screen shots of 2 different codes thus far the past week i have been playing, coming back after a year break which i tend to take many breaks in between expacs and sometimes skipping a few.

Top one is most recent with game running on SSD and fully downloaded (no streaming in game) but yet is a streaming error. Crash happen as trying to lock into plane of magic from guild hall, crash clicking on PoP teleport object.

Bottom one was a few days ago game running on HDD partially downloaded (up to Thalumbra) streaming KA and PoP content but spit out a Dx9 error on crash. Crash happen while using call to guild hall and shut down after loading was done and guild hall started showing then poof.

Many other crashes have happen without any error codes mostly happening while loading into another zone. once or twice just while flying or running around within a zone while questing or gathering for long periods.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    demonik and Sejreia like this.
  2. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

What about your hardware and OS?
    How much RAM do you have, how good is your display adapter, how many display adapters and monitors attached to your PC do you have, what OS do you have?

Please also check if your PC has built-in display adapter and see if you can disable it in BIOS/UEFI
  3. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

This has been happening since 2005 when I started playing this game. I have been reporting these random crashes since then but always get the canned copy past response that never help. No other game i have played through the years have ever been this consistent with crashing...

CPUs - AMD x2 2800 and a 3200, AMD fx4100, fx 6100, fx 6350, Intel i5 laptop
    GPUs - GTX9800, GTX 560, GTX 660TI
    RAM - fluctuated over the years from 2GB to > current is 16GB
    Windows vista, 7, 8, 10 (current).

Several PC builds along with 2 laptops. Many many different configs but as i said these crashes have been going on as long as i can remember with only recently actually giving error codes which the Devs should be able to read and decipher what they mean. Also like to point out im very fluent in PC hardware as so when it comes to what does what and how to maintain and keep drivers and software updated there is never an issue there.
    Toxify likes this.
  4. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

Did you check built-in display adapter?
    Do you use 3rd party UI, plugins, skins, etc?
    Have you try to reset game settings to standard settings?

I have almost zero crashes on my 2 systems, so there must be something that makes your system different from my.

I don't think that DBG will want to analyze any particular installation unless many customers starts to experience similar problems. There are many systems, some of them are misconfigured, incompatible, outdated, corrupted, etc...
    And there are many thousands of customers and only a few of technical persons that are mostly busy with development and don't have time for support, unless the problem becomes too generic. That's how I see it.

So, I would recommend to try to find a solution keeping in mind that it is possible to run the game without crashes.
  5. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

And, by the way, if you use WiFi at home and you have many neighbours with WiFi too, when you see something like ten hot spots on WiFi list, try network cable instead and see if it helps.
  6. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

cable doesn't help... my desktop is 3' from the modem lol. they're getting more frequent as well.
  7. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

It's not about distance, that's about how many active hot spots you have nearby.
  8. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

Thanks for trying to help but no offence you have no clue what you are talking about. WIFI has nothing to do with any software crashing (shutting down completely). WIFI will only disconnect the user from the server.
    Sejreia, Tekka and Ceyllynn like this.
  9. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed (it's in the system reqs).

Check for a file named "outofmemory.txt" in your EQ2 installation directory. If it's there, compare the timestamp of the file to your crash history, to see if it matches with your last crash (the file gets overwritten on subsequent crashes, so only the last incident is recorded).
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  10. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

wifi isn't the issue. so quit saying it is.
    Conifur likes this.
  11. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

DX9c is installed and if im not mistaken its installed by windows by default as well as eq2 installation process no? Either way yes DX9c is installed.

Now the outofmemory file i did not know about and yes that too is within the eq2 directory and yes the time stamp does match last crash (no error just game closed without any warning). So memory leak is still an issue in this game after 13+ years, sad. Is there a way to allocate more then the default 2GB the game is using (from monitoring task manager)? No way this game should be crashing due to out of memory when i have 16GB available. Have also checked task manager and even with chrome open in background the most RAM being used while eq2 is running is 7.6GB.

Also have to do it but LOL @ WiFi causing application crashes ^^. The only thing in my house that uses WiFi is cell phones, even if I was on WiFi running this game I assure you it would never cause the game to crash, only disconnect...
    Sejreia and Toxify like this.
  12. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

Ceyllynn likes this.
  13. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

This is something that people were doing back before windows 7 and 10 64bit came out. I run windows 10 64bit and do not have this 4GB2GB limit mumbo jumbo. I play GTA5 online and it will easily use up 10GB RAM no issue playing 6-10 hour session with zero crashes or Black desert an insanely high demanding MMO that also freely using way beyond 6GB RAM and can run 24+ hour sessions on my system with zero issues. So my boat is big enough ;) , eq2 is just not utilizing my nicely big boat properly and i am informing their development team the errors i receive so they can properly fix their system.
    Toxify and Ceyllynn like this.
  14. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

sadly the mem leak has existed in both games pretty much since the second they were made.
  15. Ursa Minor Well-Known Member

EQ2 is compiled as a 32-bit application, it cannot understand addresses larger than 4gb. It doesn't matter how much memory your machine has over that, EQ2 can't access it, unless it ever gets re-compiled as a 64-bit application. I take it you did not even bother to try the easily reversible bcdedit change?
  16. Csipi Active Member

Well it's pretty damn obvious to me what the problem is. You said you played games like WoW, ESO, BD...so um why are you still playing EQ2?

Well either that or it's gotta be your wifi. (that's a joke it's ok to laugh)
  17. FuRiouSOne Well-Known Member

EQ2 was my first MMO playing it @ launch up to RoK then returning every so often to check out new expacs. Its just one of those old time favorites I can never let go completely.

And yea I really need to look into overclocking my WiFi..
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  18. Pokka New Member

That's an error many of use counter from time to time. If you look at the path of the file you notice it refers to drive G:\.
    For me it looks like some dev made a mistake and forgot to change the path to the files from his/her own computer to the folder on the players computer Before it went live.

That shouldn't be too hard for someone in the crew to change.
    Ceyllynn likes this.
  19. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

See if your PC/laptop has built in video chip and disable it in case it is enabled. Look for it in BIOS/UEFI.

The reference to G: drive is not a mistake as far as I understand it. It is a pointer to a line in a source code which is usually resides on a PC of a programmer. It is for debugging purposes. Player do not normally have source code of his/her PC/laptop, so there's no reason to change G: drive to C: drive or whatever.
  20. Cheallaigh Well-Known Member

the G drive is a bug that's been around for years, they've admitted it was a bug. one day it might be fixed like the rest lol. it pops up occasionally after an update.

disabling a video card in a laptop is a really dumb idea, unless they've installed a separate one, which is bloody unlikely. anyone with with even a mildly decent desktop, disabled the legacy when they slid in a GPU.