Crafting

Discussion in 'Players Supporting Players' started by Dimdau, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Dimdau Active Member

I'm jut starting on crafting. my tradeskill is only lvl 10 yet.
    May I buy all components? And if yes, who would send them to me? any special merchant?
    I found in Freeport the coalition of tradesfolke, where there are tables, forges etc but the merchant that is there dont have all components of the recipes, so I wish to know who would sell them all...

Ty in advance
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

You can harvest ingredients in the outside zones, or buy them from other players on the broker. Recipes are bought from the crafting trainer. Fuels are bought from the merchant in the crafting area.

It will be much cheaper for you to go out and spend an hour or so harvesting yourself rather than buying everything off the broker. You will also increase your harvesting skills as you go.
  3. Daryx Well-Known Member

Go to the Isle of Mara zone and across the water in a pond you will find Qho Augren, who will give you a harvesting quest series A Gathering Obsession. (See http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/A_Gathering_Obsession_Timeline which also links to a harvest location page). It's doable at any level as long as you can dodge mobs if you are too low for the zone. He will send you to various zones to gather harvests and you will earn money and status points as well as harvesting rewards when you complete each main series section. (You should have gotten mail in-game from his mother with an Elixir of Mara to help you in your first harvesting attempts.)

This will get you familiar with where you can harvest for each level of recipes. As you level up do the crafting quests from the trainer also, who has you do some harvesting, and follow the harvest timelines. As Rhodris stated you will be in a better situation if you plan on really crafting much by learning the harvesting areas etc. yourself. The higher levels of his series require gaining crafting levels.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Rosyposy like this.
  4. Bhayar Well-Known Member

About every 10 levels, you'll get a crafting short crafting timeline (start in New Halas, then Butcherblock, etc.) that will require you to make a number of things. The advantage of starting there is once you're done, you can buy all the advanced TS books for a reduced price of what you might pay for the broker. In several cases, you'll also get a special mount that can be fun.
  5. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

I'd suggest following the Tradeskill Timeline from the wiki, including the New Halas quests in Frostfang Sea (even if they're long outleveled!) You level faster because you get tradeskill experience from simply doing the quests, not just actual crafting combines. Following this path will also get you some mounts and faction with the Far Seas Trading Company.

Also, do Londiar Inygad's daily transmuting/adorning/tinkering writs (he's afvailable at the crafting headquarters in all the citie), they not only level those three skills fairly painlessly, they're also good for quest-related tradeskill XP.

And I second the idea of doing Quo Augren's A Gathering Obsession questline. Not only will it help you skill up your harvesting, you will get rares and find shinies alongthe way too, which you can use or sell. And Quo pays pretty well, too.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Katz like this.
  6. flameweaver Well-Known Member

7. Dimdau Active Member

Ty every one. I have done "A Gathering obsession" I,II and III quests, got a lot of things but when I came close the devices to craft, I could not find anything that I could use. I was up to do anything even, only to level up the tradeskill part, but once my bags were full of stuffs and nothing could be used... I thought I had to buy the stuffs... I dont know what I did too wrong to not be able to use anything...

ty anyways
  8. Flightrisk Well-Known Member

Dimdau ,
    may I ask what recipe books you have ? and what trade skill have you chosen ? the recipes are by level and you have to have the matching harvests in pocket with fuel to craft in the public crafting zones ,but it sounds like you are trying to craft a special recipe of some kind..
    I would be delighted to assist you in game at any time, up to and including running zones with you (if i recall correctly, you have already said you are on the maj'dul server as am I ),I am easy to find just use the command /who all shining host , that will find me on any of my alts
    please do i would love to help
  9. Dimdau Active Member

well, I got some few books Advanced Artisan 1,2 and 3 and scholar essentials 10,11,12,13 and 14. But no one of them has those stuffs as junjun, tea leaves, cofee bean, etc, which are what I use to get when crafting, whatever place I'm since comolands till cobalt scar what more I get are those simple things as I said before, hard to get anything more improved. Its why I thought I would have to buy the things to recipes.

I have chose scholar as profession but even so its not easy to find the components.
  10. Dude Well-Known Member

You have to harvest the materials from nodes in different zones. Jum Jum comes from bushes in starter zones like FFS or DLW.
  11. Sigrdrifa EQ2 Wiki Author

The problem is that you haven't been harvesting the low tier zones. Dump your current harvests into the bank, and go harvest in these locations:
    • Greater Faydark (The Nursery)
    • Timorous Deep (under and near the Gorowyn docks)
    • Oakmyst Forest (opens from Qeynos)
    There are other T1 harvesting locations, but in my experience these are the easiest.
  12. Rosyposy Well-Known Member

I favor Frostfang Sea for T1 & T2... although I love the Greater Fay Nursery area for shinies!
  13. Juraiya Well-Known Member

Dimdau: When crafting anything from a 1-9 book, you need T1 harvests, which are found in the starter areas. For 10-19, you need T2, for 20-29 you need T3, etc. If you mouse hover over a resource that you've harvested, it will tell you what level of items you can craft with it, e.g.: 1-9, 10-19, etc. On EQ2Traders.com you can find a listing of which areas you can harvest different resources in.

If you're running out of bag space, let us know what server you're on and your character name, and someone here may send you some larger bags. The default 8 slot bags that you get (I think that's the default size) are pretty small, and if you're harvesting you can overload them pretty quickly.
  14. Dimdau Active Member

Oh great I think I got it now :DD Ty for all of you :DD
  15. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You're on Maj'Dul, right? As Dimdau? I can send you backpacks and/or strong boxes there if you want (they're basically the same; one's made of leather, the other of wood...some prefer the boxes for their bank slots, and the backpacks for their personal inventory, but they have the same amount of room at the same Tier). :)

The "Tiers" are inclusive, shorthand terms, with Tier 1 being level 1-9; Tier 2, 10-19, etc., so it can be confusing sometimes, especially when the recipes themselves usually just go by levels. As far as Tier 1 goes, save out your...hmm...ah! Deer Meat, Sunfish, Black Coffee Beans, White Tea Leaves, and Roots (and buy Dough, Aerated Water, and Basic Kindling), because every month, from the 1st through the 7th, there are the City Festivals, where you can craft more using those Tier 1 materials. If you're already at level 10 in crafting, you won't get much XP for the recipes, but if you're a regular Member, you'll get eight City Tokens when you complete that crafting quest and turn-in (four if you're F2P). You can then use those Tokens to get things at the City Festival, so even the "old, little stuff" is always going to be useful.

When you hit level 10, if you haven't already, go to the Crafting Trainer, and they will ask where you want to do next with crafting. There are three choices to make at this point: Craftsman, Outfitter, and Scholar. Craftsmen make things like furniture and strong boxes (Carpenter); bows, wooden shields, totems, etc. (Woodworker); and food and drink to give you boosts and replenish your power and health faster (Provisioner). Outfitters make things mostly out of metal (Armorer, for chain and plate armors and metal shields; Weaponsmith for [mostly] metal weapons) or cloth (leather and cloth armor, backpacks, etc. [Tailor]). Scholars make what I call "the doo-dads": Alchemists make things like potions and poisons and Fighter-type boosts to their abilities. Jewelers make jewelry (earrings, necklaces, rings, bracelets, and belts, all of which can add to your stats and other abilities) and Scout-type boosts. Sages make Mage- and Priest-type boosts to their spells, but also, eventually, can make things like blank books you can write in and place in a house and quite a few miscellaneous things that don't quite fit anywhere else. ;->

Until you make a choice for one among the three of those main categories, you won't be able to progress any further with your crafting levels, more's the pity. You can actually choose at 9th, but definitely once you hit 10th, that's the thing. You'll make another choice at 19th-20th level, to figure out which one of the three you've chosen that you want to specialize in, which of the nine specialties; again, if you don't choose, you won't get any further. You can always change your mind later, though. :)

What I do, and this is just me, is that every server I'm on (and you can make seven more free toons on the Public Test server region, and seven more on Thurgadin, which the European region [EU English]), is if you really want to try out all of them, get your free seven, make them each a different specialty, then buy a couple more character slots from the Marketplace (they do cost Daybreak Cash :-/) for your full nine. That way, you and your alts can make everything! :)

Uwk
    Breanna and Rosyposy like this.
  16. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oh! Oh! One more thing...there's a HOLIDAY starting right now, called Tinkerfest! It's wonderful, especially if you like Gnomish stuff and engineering and steampunk! You'll have to be a certain level of Tinkerer (25) to be able to write down (scribe) the recipe books, but you can certainly buy them now and scribe them later. Most, if not all of the things sold by the Gnomes will cost what they call Shiny Cogs (and you'll need to learn the Gnomish language to participate, get quests, and buy stuff, but just find a Linguist in your city and it's cheap and easy). These you can find on the ground in any of the major cities and in the place they call Gnomeland Security (ha!) in the lands of Steamfont. The cogs on the ground look like tiny golden glowies, indicated by an exclamation point. You'll need 10 Cogs per recipe book, and more to make the items; most holiday recipe books require special holiday materials, at least one. But they're great fun to participate in, and if memory serves (it's been awhile since I've actually had to think about this stuff and not just knee-jerk my way through it ;->), you'll get tradeskill XP for making special holiday things, too.

But it won't count for anything until you make your crafting choice. :-/

Uwk
    who, too, uses this wonderful site:

http://eq2.eqtraders.com/articles/news_page.php

for just about all my holiday and crafting info needs :)
  17. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

You can buy all the Advanced recipes for Tier 1 and 2 recipes from the Crafting Trainer and the New Halas quest person (either the good Halfling gal Tami or the evil Dark Elf gal...whose name escapes me at the moment...something with an apostrophe). After that, you can earn one per Tier on your own from another crafting quest giver, but not at every Tier, more's the pity. You'll need the Broker for more, if they're available; they might not all be. :-/

Depending on what specialty you want, though, you can focus on some Advanced books. For Jewelers, in my opinion, the only book you'll really need at any given Tier will be the one that gives you the recipes for rings and bands (same thing, a finger slot item; one uses rare gems, the other rare soft metals), since those are the only jewelry items that can be Imbued or Blessed for greater powers. Likewise, if you're going to be an Armorer or Tailor, look for the books that give recipes for chest/robe, leg, and shield items, since those can be Imbued/Blessed. Woodworkers will find the shield recipes for them useful, too, as well as the bow recipes. Tailors will like hex doll recipes. Weaponsmiths, unfortunately, will probably want just about every Advanced book, since all weapons can be Imbued or Blessed! But if you're just starting out and prefer to use a long sword or a mace for your main character, then just look for the Advanced recipes that will let you Imbue or Bless your own weapons there. :)

Provisioners actually have it pretty easy; every Tier, they can buy a new Advanced recipe book from the Trainer. One per Tier, but you can make Super Food and Drink with those recipes, using rare materials you get from shrubs and bushes.

One huge advantage of creating toons on Test, besides more free character slots (!), is that we can, indeed, buy ALL of our Advanced books there, every Tier. It's awesome. :D

Uwk
  18. flameweaver Well-Known Member

19. Dimdau Active Member

Thank you soo very much for all your hints and tips. I have learned a lot with you all. To this character that I'm working now, I bought boxes, but if you all dont mind, when I open a new character I'll ask for them, unless that there is a way to me do them myself, is there? :DDD

Ty
  20. Katz Well-Known Member

Tailors and Carpenters can make bags and boxes respectively. However, until you get them leveled up, the containers only hold a small number of items. Early on it is nice if you can get the max size of these from someone else. Eventually if you have one of those type crafters you can start making your own and even help out other new folks by making some for them.