Couple questions before downloading the game.

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by varlas, Feb 8, 2013.

1. varlas New Member

I've played Everquest 2 off and on throughout the years, but I've never gotten past level 20. I currently don't have any MMOs to play so I'm turning to this one as a potential candidate. However, there are some questions I have before I start playing the game "seriously."

1. As a free player, I understand I'm limited to playing as a Human, Barbarian, Erudite, and Half Elf. I know a lot of people say to choose the race you like aesthetically, but I tend to be one of the "min-maxers" and focus on stats/traits. Besides Erudites obviously being spellcasters and healers, what archetypes would be recommended for the other 3 races as far as traits and such go?

2. Am I able to adjust the AA slider as a free player, and if so, what's a good percentage to stay at throughout the leveling process? I would like to level at a slow but comfortable pace, and have a decent number of AA's obtained by endgame.

3. How far would being a free player take me? At what point of the game, if applicable, does it become obvious that I need to subscribe? And would not being able to use mercenaries hinder me, or is it more of a bonus if anything?

4. Are there any significant differences between Templar healing and Inquisitor healing? I think I would prefer Inquisitors because then I could start in Gorowyn (probably my favorite starting area), but if Templars are better suited for healing, I may reconsider.

Thanks for reading.
  2. Mimixx(2) Member

1. Barbarians = Fighter
    •Berserker
    •Guardian

Half elf = My opinion is that I like to look short and be a tanker at the same time but they can go on any classes

Human = Mages
    •Warlocks (good for groups)
    •Wizards(solo/maybe group if you like to)

2. From lvl 1-10 you wont get any AA's and F2P cant change the AA slider. I think silver membership can do it.

3. You can enjoy the game as a F2P but you will be restricted to some items, amount of bag and how many characters. At lvl 90 you would like to become a subscriber because of the gear and if you like pvp those gears could make you famous.

4. Inquisitors are THE BEST. They can do damage templars cant do. The healing is almost the same only that inquisitors get a spell that can release you from stun, stifles and so on.

Try Neriak if you consider another starting area. Freeport server is best for new players( also other servers)....

Give Everquest II everything you got!
  3. Mohee Active Member

1: http://eq2.zam.com/wiki/Racial_Traditions_(EQ2)

I like to min/max too, but I can honestly tell you, even if you are a min maxer, your race will make about 0 difference in the end heheh.

Mimixx did a good job of answering the rest of your points :) the only thing I'd add...

4: Discussions between which classes are better is always debatable. I like inquisitors, I also like templars. I've seen good inq's, and bad ones, good temps, and bad temps. From my experience, sure, inquisitors can more easily do more dps, and have their mythical cure which is nice. But honestly I think templars have more healing power than inquisitors do. That makes up for their lack of dps. Also, if you want to talk about cures, sure... Inquis get 2 (and their mythical is really nice) but i've also seen someone who is really good at playing a templar, top the cure parse many times. Perfect pre-curing, and knowledge of who to put manacure on makes them just as good at curing. Sanctuary also rocks :D Again, don't underestimate any classes, if played by a well skilled player, they all rock and are awesome.
  4. Corun New Member

Sadly only gold accounts can change the AA exp slider.....
  5. varlas New Member

I decided to try the game out and I made an Erudite Inquisitor on the Freeport server. I got him to level 15 and so far it's pretty awesome! It's true I can't adjust the AA slider even with a silver membership, but honestly, I think 50% is a good percentage to be at. I also made a post on the Priest forum asking for additional advice for traits and such.

I was definitely surprised though about all the bonuses I've obtained as a result of subscribing back in 2010. A 36 slot bag, cosmetic armor, even a mount that I could actually use! :eek: All that and the other numerous goodies available, the only response I could come up with was "Sweet baby Jesus." With that said, it's pretty safe to say that I'll be playing this game for a while. :)
  6. Ragna Well-Known Member

Welcome back :)

Just a note, if you were a subsciber in 2010, your old toons were grandfathered, for ex. if you had an iksar necro, you can still play him/her even if you don't have iksar and/or necro unlocked. (you can't make a new toon with any of these class/race combo unless unlocked tho. And only characters made prior september (?) 2011 were grandfathered)
  7. varlas New Member

Yeah, I actually have a level 20 Troll Templar (who I exiled for whatever reason) on Butcherblock. I doubt that I'll play him again, but it's pretty nice that SOE allowed players to keep the characters before the F2P changes.