Constantly booted to EQ trying to find Login server.

Discussion in 'Connection Support' started by ARCHIVED-Sekhmut, Oct 29, 2012.

1. ARCHIVED-Sekhmut Guest

Started seeing this problem a couple weeks ago, then again in the last couple of days. I launch EQ2 with no problems, my character loads, then within 10-15 seconds I'm booted with EQ2 going through Login server #1, etc. Sometimes I get booted to Character Select, sometimes can't find a server.
    I've not changed any of my configurations between now and when the game ran properly. I have all ports open on my modem, and the modem firewall is off.
    Any ideas or other folks seeing this issue?
  2. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Sekhmut wrote:
    How are you running your connection? Wirless or Direct? For troubleshooting purposes, I'd recommend directly plugging into your modem and bypassing your router. Please let me know if this helps!
  3. ARCHIVED-Sekhmut Guest

My connection is direct, I have a router/modem all in one. I've had the modem for several months, with no issues until recently.
  4. ARCHIVED-Uwkete-of-Crushbone Guest

Sekhmut wrote:
    The only time I'm having issues on login is when I try to get into Test (not TestCopy; I have native characters on Test) and go past the "PLAYING" button to the blank/dark screen, only to get the Microsoft Windows notice that "the EQ2 Application needs to close." I've tried deleting my Launchpad.lib directory after a player's advice (worked for that player) and restart Launchpad; didn't work. I hope it's something on my end I can fix, or it's just a matter of the techs flipping on the "Test Server switch," or whatever. I really hope Test is still available for those of us who aren't Beta-testing, or if that's not the case, if there's some way I can get into the Beta to get back to my characters (preferably before Nights of the Dead is over). :-/
    In case it's an issue, we have DirectX 9.0c, with an FX5200 video card.
    Uwk
  5. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Uwkete-of-Crushbone wrote:
    Uwk, What I'm going to need you to do is submit a support ticket with the file requested below. Please follow the instructions below:
    I need you to bring up a run dialog box. You can do this by pressing and holding the Windows key on your keyboard and tapping the R key.
    In the box that pops up I need you to type cmd and press Enter (If you're using Windows Vista/7 press ctrl-shift-enter).
    This is going to bring up an old “DOS box” don’t worry it’s just text.
    You’ll need to type in the following commands one at a time. Remember to put spaces between all the words, unless there’s a special character like / or . in front of the word. Then you’ll want to keep that symbol and the word together.
    If you’re having a lot of trouble you can also just copy and paste the text out of this email and into the DOS box.
    These commands can take a while to run so please wait for the blinking cursor to appear since you won’t see any output to your screen. For the pathping commands you might even want to go grab some coffee, or a sandwich between lines.

So, all set? Here’s the commands (If you receive Access Denied, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator"):

ipconfig /all > c:\eq2info.txt

tracert "your server".everquest2.com >> c:\eq2info.txt
    (for example: unrest.everquest2.com, antoniabayle.everquest2.com or
    freeport.everquest2.com)

pathping "your server".everquest2.com >> c:\eq2info.txt
    freeport.everquest2.com)

If you’re curious what you’re saving for us, try the commands again but without the >’s or the stuff after them. Go ahead, I’ll wait… Pretty confusing huh? Don’t worry I speak gibberish fluently and can translate it for you.

Ok now that you’re done with that, you’ll have a file on your hard drive called “eq2info.txt”. If you go into your hard drive you’ll find it right in the main folder. To get there, just do that Windows key and R trick from earlier, and type C: and press enter. The file will be in there. Just send that file into me, I’ll translate it and figure out what happened to your connection, then I’ll let you know. No worries it’ll be pretty painless, but we might need you to contact another company if it’s not something on your computer that’s doing this.I need you to bring up a run dialog box. You can do this by pressing and holding the Windows key on your keyboard and tapping the R key.
    In the box that pops up I need you to type cmd and press Enter (If you're using Windows Vista/7 press ctrl-shift-enter).
    This is going to bring up an old “DOS box” don’t worry it’s just text.
    You’ll need to type in the following commands one at a time. Remember to put spaces between all the words, unless there’s a special character like / or . in front of the word. Then you’ll want to keep that symbol and the word together.
    If you’re having a lot of trouble you can also just copy and paste the text out of this email and into the DOS box.
    These commands can take a while to run so please wait for the blinking cursor to appear since you won’t see any output to your screen. For the pathping commands you might even want to go grab some coffee, or a sandwich between lines.

So, all set? Here’s the commands (If you receive Access Denied, go to Start > All Programs > Accessories, right-click the Command Prompt and select "Run as administrator"):

ipconfig /all > c:\eq2info.txt

tracert "your server".everquest2.com >> c:\eq2info.txt
    freeport.everquest2.com)

pathping "your server".everquest2.com >> c:\eq2info.txt
    freeport.everquest2.com)

If you’re curious what you’re saving for us, try the commands again but without the >’s or the stuff after them. Go ahead, I’ll wait… Pretty confusing huh? Don’t worry I speak gibberish fluently and can translate it for you.

Ok now that you’re done with that, you’ll have a file on your hard drive called “eq2info.txt”. If you go into your hard drive you’ll find it right in the main folder. To get there, just do that Windows key and R trick from earlier, and type C: and press enter. The file will be in there. Just send that file into me, I’ll translate it and figure out what happened to your connection, then I’ll let you know. No worries it’ll be pretty painless, but we might need you to contact another company if it’s not something on your computer that’s doing this.
    PM TSR Seanf or myself your ticket reference number so we can follow up on it!
  6. ARCHIVED-ToRch20003 Guest

This issue is widespread. It was really bad on Sunday but it's been going on with everyone for months. I haven't talked to anyone who isn't having this happen.
  7. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

ToRch20003 wrote:
    ToRch, I need more people to submit tickets about this so I can gather more information about it. I want to resolve this for you guys asap, so PM me or Sean your ticket reference numbers so we can follow up on it!
  8. ARCHIVED-Ambeco Guest

same issue for me too, happens 4-5 times a day and I am plugged direct.
    Win 7 64
    core 2 duo
    6gb ram
    nvidia 260 video card
  9. ARCHIVED-TSR-AlexS Guest

Avianna@Butcherblock wrote:
    I'd recommend submitting a tech ticket as well so we can troubleshoot your issue!
  10. ARCHIVED-Uwkete-of-Crushbone Guest

TSR-AlexS wrote:
    I seem to have come up with a temporary "fix" to the Test server issue (and if the usual Launchpad method still isn't working, would I input test.everquest2.com for the trace and pathping? I have no issues with other servers) by bypassing Launchpad and going straight through everquest2.exe in my Test Server directory. It's a pain, but I made a desktop shortcut to that; I'll test the regular Launchpad and get back to you. If I need to, I'll definitely open a support ticket, but it's been a few days, and I'm crossing my fingers that Tuesday's downtime might've addressed it.
    Back in a bit, successful or no!
    EDIT: okay, cleared up a bit...went back to try the usual Launchpad method to get into Test, and as it went from the "PLAYING" button, Launch screen, etc. to black screen, I got a pop-up from my antivirus watchdog that EQ2 was trying to contact the system file, dwwin.exe, aka good ol' Dr. Watson. With sinking heart and much trepidation, I let it, and sure enough, the Microsoft error-n-report box ("We need to close this program because it's...NAUUUGGHTY.") reared its ugly head. Apparently, same problems, so I'll check if I can get in with my direct shortcut. Back in a flash. ;->
    ANOTHER EDIT: went through my own shortcut (C:\Program Files\...\TestServer\Everquest2.exe), and everything was just fine, except I got the old fashioned simple login box that I got before, so I knew I was on the right track. Seems more like an issue between Launchpad and Test Server, IMHO, but I'll do the real-time trace and pathping (and don't worry about going too simply; I know just enough about computers to get my face slapped by one, so please, inundate me with procedure! for instance: what/where would be my ticket reference number? once I submit the support ticket?). ;->
    YET ANOTHER EDIT: got the file(s); it's odd, in that there are two eq2info.txt files (I guess that's what I told the computer to set up; would've thought it would've just appended? oh well) in C:, but I'll send them both along. Thanks! :)
    Uwk