Constant UI issues saving my UI

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Naneeje, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Naneeje Well-Known Member

Question about saving the UI,
    For example, when I press Alt+Z, I get the zone reset window as well as the function F10 does, where you can see all your windows.
    I delete F10 from the secondary, I put F10 in the primary, and make sure only alt+z goes to my zone reset.

Now, I choose the "Save" option, give it a name. and I save it.
    Then, I log back in the next day, and everything is off again. I "Load" the UI I just saved, and it acts like it never even saved it.
    I don't understand what I might be doing wrong. Any help is appreciated.
    Twyla likes this.
  2. Carynn Well-Known Member

Might want to try deleting your character's ui completely and then logging in and setting it up from scratch (don't copy from another toon). Also clear the cache before logging back in. That might make it stick. Sometimes it is stubborn in sticking.
    Twyla likes this.
  3. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

As an alt'aholic, I've got to ask. What? Why not? Will a character's UI layout change later if the character from which the layout was copied from gets changed?

I have had issues where my UI Windows are not staying where I placed them. Even the ones on character's who were used as the primary copy from setup. However, the majority of windows remain where I want them, so I've just been repositioning as needed, but will agree it is annoying enough that I have considered a fresh wipe on all of my characters.

Clear the cache? It would not have crossed my mind to do that if I do a full reset of my UI layouts. For those of us who lack computer savvy, what is the proper and safe way to do that?
    Twyla likes this.
  4. Carynn Well-Known Member

Copying from another character UI doesn't always fix the problem the OP listed. Hence why deleting the UI and starting from scratch without the copy tends to fix it.

How to clear cache:
    https://help.daybreakgames.com/hc/e...To do so, select the,have listed and re-patch.
    Hartsmith and Twyla like this.
  5. Naneeje Well-Known Member

So I found out the issue. The problem was with the load/save option in the options menu.
    When you hit load, you get to choose your line item with the settings you want.
    THen hit save, and give it a new name. You then hit accept and close the window.
    However, logging in from the launchpad, when I "validate game assets" this took a while and I have not done it in a long time. This allowed me to save and I have no issues now.
    So, how often should you validate game assets? Not sure, but it worked.
    Twyla likes this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

You don't validate assets on a schedule, it's a troubleshooting routine only. And i's extremely unlikely that is what fixed your problem here. From your description above you appear to be saving a custom keyboard file and the validate program won't even look at a custom file, let alone do anything with it. If you create a custom file you then have to configure your game to actually use it via the ini files. Changing a command key should only require you to apply the change on exiting the options, which you presumably finally managed to do in the midst of all the button clicking, hence it finally stuck.

By the way, you're not dealing with the UI as such here, you're dealing with the options file. This is why some of the posts above are confusing and don't work. The UI files are per character, the options file is per installation so apples to all characters.
    Twyla likes this.
  7. Hartsmith Well-Known Member

I know this is supposed to be true, but I have come across times where the personalized options on one character is not the same as it is on another character. Mainly involving pressing the Esc key to close top window. I usually encounter this while I have two instances of the game running, but only on select characters and I don't think it is account specific.
    Twyla likes this.