Constant plat spam in channel.

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Charlice, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Nick_Stern Member

and here I stand amazed at this, when I questioned why general chat was not available to f2p which is darn silly and does not foster a true community. I was told by many and rudely that it was to prevent gold sellers because all gold sellers are f2p and all f2p are spammers. Hmmmm seems the Elitist Vets were wrong about that.
    suka likes this.
  2. Siren Well-Known Member

You know, you have a great point there, but the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the plat spam in-game was "oh great, now they're hacking real-life players' gold accounts over and over to spam from those!" because that's exactly how they get around the sub restriction in any sub game. That, or they use stolen credit cards to make new gold accounts with.

Daybreak should know better than to let them break through the chat, because it's "chargebacks galore" from the owners of the stolen credit cards whenever this starts happening in an online game. Once the gold farmers see that there's nothing blocking them from overrunning the chat, Daybreak is going to be neck-deep in credit card fraud issues. They'll have no choice but to deal with that!
  3. Nick_Stern Member

Say what????
    Breaking through chat will not cause charge backs. The use of a stolen card alone would cause that.
    What this is proving is that blocking general chat from f2p does nothing.
    It is all about the proper filters being in place. Clearly the person who knows how to set up and operate the filters was let go in a cost cutting game killing move.
  4. Caethre Active Member

Today was the first day in years that I have seen open channel advertisements for third-party websites selling plat for real-world cash. Over and over and over again, adverts for their website, every 60 seconds or so, over an extended period. And from numerous different character names.

With FTP, they can recreate those characters over and over again, so /ignore is never going to work in blocking this.

Daybreak need to sort this out ASAP, or public channels will be ruined for all other users.
    suka likes this.
  5. Caethre Active Member

I cannot comment as to whether the replies you got were rude in an abusive sense as I have no idea who you are, but I can tell you that the idea of being MASSIVELY AGAINST free-to-play players having access to public channels is nothing short of common sense.

This is a simple matter of accountability. Those who are paying NOTHING into Daybreak for their gaming have nothing invested and nothing to lose, so can choose to act in the most extreme of anti-social ways and cannot be controlled with any sanction, as they can simply create another free account and do it again.

Of course this does not mean that EVERY free-account player is a scumbag. But it does mean there is no way to be able to stop a section of these people behaving like scumbags. The best option is to absolutely prevent access to all free-account players from all public channels. "Community" has nothing to do with this - chat channels are not "community", they are one of the privileges of paying for your account.

If you REALLY want to be part of a community, then pay for your account.
    Febrith and Sydnye like this.
  6. Tkia Well-Known Member

This doesn't need reporting. Guleap already said it's being caught as spam and he has to hit the 'view' option to see it. That means the spam filter is working and all he has to do is configure his chat window to not show the ones that get caught.

If the message is actually bypassing the spam filter then there is already an option on the menu to report it as spam, just as there are options to do a 'who' on the user or reply to tells. The only reason he doesn't see that option is because it's already flagged as spam so the report is redundant.
    Gulaep likes this.
  7. Atan Well-Known Member

Yeah, these are bypassing the spam filter, and clicking the button doesn't really do much since the spambot will be on a different account 15 mins later.

Here is what I think.

A couple weeks ago I made a post razzing DBG about Daybreak being filtered as spam in general chat. Someone looked into this and some previous filter that was created for spam reduction was causing the issue. That person then fixed the filter so we can say 'Daybreak' without it being flagged as spam. It is looking like that same change then broke a number of the spam filters and the spammers have figured that out and gone nuts with it.
    Losadunai, suka, Mermut and 1 other person like this.
  8. suka Well-Known Member

the spam filter isn't catching them. i keep reporting them, and i put them on ignore. then a new name pops up and i have to ignore again. i am accumulating quite a list of people i am ignoring. usually this only happens if my spam filter is off, but now they are getting through it. it is getting a little ridiculous. so i made a special window to put stuff like them into and i hid it behind all my other chat windows. it still pops up, but i no longer have to see it.

i do wish they would get things fixed. forget updates and the new stuff for just a little while and fix what is broken- the payment center for one thing, the filters for another, and there is a long list of things going wrong just in last few weeks. like coming into a published house and finding things out of place. and coming into a house you just fixed up the night before to find actors missing clothing. we could list forever the things that just started happening. people are getting banned through no fault of their own and the company is blowing them off- even when they have already paid for months in advance.

sorry guys, it becomes scarey when they mess with our money. spam is bad enough. some of the other stuff happening is worse. i know they are trying to fix some of the server stuff, but i hope they spend time on other things that need to be fixed as well. it has become a bannable offense to have a reoccurring account direct debit in some cases.
  9. suka Well-Known Member

in my window, i had unchecked spam, which meant i didn't want to see it. i still saw it
    Gulaep likes this.
  10. suka Well-Known Member

what a lot of people forget is that the gold sellers are in a business. although they are banned by the games, the government doesn't have an issue with how they make their money. the cost of doing business is a legitimate business expense. that means that if it costs you a $15 sub (less if you are subbing by the year) it becomes a business write-off. and of course some of these businesses are in china or wherever.

so if you are going to make millions of money selling plat, what is a little $15 charge? they don't have to steal credit cards. they can simply pay the fee and have an account. if that account gets caught, they can make another one. $15 or even $200 is a drop in the bucket compared to the hundreds of thousands one legitimate account can bring in.
  11. Vainamoinen Well-Known Member

We've had plenty slip thru on Unrest, but they end up getting filtered within a few hours or so. I always left-click "report spam" and encourage others on the server to do so.

We actually seem to have a functioning guild on the server that is home for these spammers.
    suka likes this.
  12. suka Well-Known Member

that can happen. they can also post cross-server. and it is most likely not f2p that is doing it. the problem lies in the fact that you will never be able to really get rid of them. you can only hope they fix the spam filter again. the only way to stop them is for everyone to stop buying from them.

unfortunately, daybreak has now tied their own hands and no longer has the means or manpower to catch people who buy from them. it take a lot of diligence to do that. some games seem to know how- even with a smaller staff. like LOTRO. but most don't. some have answered by providing a means for ingame buying of currency. that doesn't keep them from trying to sell, but it gives people who want to buy an alternative. we had hoped our answer would be krono. the game definitely made an attempt at it.

but there is no outside governing regulation that stops them. they come from all kinds of places including foreign countries. they are considered simply a business in most countries and are not illegal. so i don't see us ever getting rid of them. i consider them about the same level that i do telemarketers. i never answer a call from a telemarketer. if i accidentally pick up the phone and it is one, i immediately hang up and feel no guilt. so i find ways to also ignore these people. they bug me, but i realize they are a fact of life and will jam our channels until the spam filter is fixed. unless we find a way to weed them out on our end.
  13. Gharyn Well-Known Member

You don't really think these people are claiming this on their income tax, do you? :>
    Losadunai and Lateana like this.
  14. Charlice Well-Known Member

What you were told is still true. There would be an increase in spam if f2p had full access to chat. There's simply no doubt about it.

Probably what we have now, if the spam filters are actually working, is a paid account that has bought plat and had their account stolen? Considering 'hacked' accounts will no longer be recovered we may see more of this?

Why people would ever buy plat or trust these "word' with their account details is beyond me. I guess stupidity knows no bounds.
    suka likes this.
  15. Occam Well-Known Member

The idiotic DDoS'ers who've been targeting DBG should focus on the website that's being spammed about. :p
    Kuulei, Feldon and Charlice like this.
  16. Nick_Stern Member

But f2p can not use general chat so why blame F2P clearly this is a bigger issue.
    It is gold members spamming general chat with gold selling sites. They also can create characters on the accounts over and over and I bet that is what is happening they ban a character from posting but with no one left in CS to follow up the accounts are not getting banned.
    suka likes this.
  17. Nick_Stern Member

But it is not f2p spamming the channel as so many claim only f2p would do.
    Since only gold members can use genmeral it must be a paid account that alone rather defeats the whole idea that spammers are f2p players spin it any way you want but facts are facts.
    No other game I ply limits f2p from general and they have no issues with gold sellers/spammers perhaps because they have decent filters and a CS team that follows up.
  18. Charlice Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone suggested that only free to play would spam channel, but, if f2p had access to all chat you'd see a HUGE increase in spam.
    The 'sub' has probably been bought with plat (though I doubt it) or stolen from an idiot that is stupid enough to buy plat.

I'm pretty sure no one is suggesting that f2p'rs are the devil, but I see no reason to give players with no financial investment in a game access to a feature that can so easily be abused.
  19. Gulaep Well-Known Member

*sniff Me too! :( :( :(
    suka likes this.
  20. suka Well-Known Member

if they are US based and on the internet, they would be stupid not to. if they are from other countries, i don't know how their government works. internet commerce is not invisible. this is not a small family running a flea market booth. it is big. it is not illegal. even if they are using it to laundry money- especially then - they would be stupid to try to hide the activity.

so yes, i think a good number of US based plat sellers pay income tax. that being said, i think most sellers are from other countries like China.