Commentary: Are Epic 2.0 Quests Burying Players in Prerequisites?

Discussion in 'General Gameplay Discussion' started by Feldon, Jan 16, 2017.

1. rutro Well-Known Member

This is just a rant page for people that want everything handed to them. A very small part of the massive amount of people that are having a blast with Kunark Ascending. Sounds like these people are missing WOW> LOL! This has been the best expac since probably EOF :) These are also people that cannot one shot epic bosses with their ethereal assassin and make a fortune selling loot rights day and night in the auction channel. You will be back...you always will. ...
  2. Tharrakor Well-Known Member

What are you even talking about? Didnt you quit? LoL

U really are salty about SLR, almost obsessed it seems.
    Mizgamer62 and Meneltel like this.
  3. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Wrong.

I can't speak for others, but I can speak for myself:
    (1) I've been playing this game since DoF (with a break after Rok coming back for Paineel, and a break after Paineel coming back for ToV). I have already cleared much of this content on my oldest character. I have now have 2 other characters I enjoy playing and I have absolutely no interest in grinding that stuff out again.

(2) I detest time-locked content. I want the ability to progress at my own pace.

(3) I can understand running old quests to get caught up on lore, even if they are grey. However, there are also other ways to accomplish this that would be more interesting. For example, lore book quests/collections similar to the ones found in the early days would work just as well. Running old, trivial content over and over again is not interesting and it is not fun.

(4) Faction grinding kind of sucks, faction grinding through years of old content is nothing but a useless time sink. An absolute waste of time that serves no purpose other than to pin players down into busy work in the absence of other content.

The bottom line: DBG is not committing the resources necessary to produce new worlds full of a wide range of new and interesting quest lines and content. As a result, they are taking short cuts by recycling old content, and constraining progression through the little bit of new stuff they are producing by putting on time locks, long lock out timers on instances, and, a tediously slow experience rate leveling process.

For example, for the new epic (as Errror said), what we want is long, challenging, and interesting. What we got is long, tedious, and boring.

If you like running the old stuff in level 100 gear, that even when mentored down, makes old content stupidly easy, fine. To each their own.

Right now, I'm not inclined to pay money or time for the quality of the gaming product being offered to us because it is not delivering an experience that is enjoyable.

Not really blaming the developers. They only have so many hours in the day.

I may indeed be back, who knows. Right now, however, I'm not going to play a game that is forcing players through mechanisms that are not to my tastes.

The quality of the product, these days, is just not very good.
    Anoxia, wiouxev2, DoomDrake and 3 others like this.
  4. Tigerr Well-Known Member

So, let me get this straight. You don't want too much of "challenging" content where you need to focus on your class abilities because "Hard, only for 1%ers" but yet you don't want content that is easily soloed but requires a grind?

Also, based on some of the comments here and in the other thread, it seems like everyone expects to get the 2.0... Don't know if you guys heard but, this is a Epic quest... Meaning that not everyone should/will get it..

Maybe i'm just confused. I remember epic quests as being long and tedious. Just seems like people complain when it is too hard but then complain how its NOT current content?. /boggle

What is with people that play now... I've seen maybe 1 thread (Around the time the runes went live) that they are OP but now i'm seeing 50+ posts a day from people upset that an OP item(That should have NEVER made it into game) has been nerfed.

To the devs, stop listening to the complainers and the gimme gimme's. Content needs to be EXTREMELY hard if it is Epic 2.0. People aren't quitting because the game is too hard... People are quitting because in order to appeal to the complainers, the game is faceroll easy.

Point is, stop complaining. I'd put 100 bucks that the exact same people that are saying its a boring grind would be the same exact people asking for nerfs. The ONE thing that is gating people right now is time/long tedious quests.. Rather have some sort of gate than just to /claim your epic at lvl 100.
  5. Tigerr Well-Known Member

If you don't have the time to get your epic, or the will to grind out the factions then well... No epic for you. The content is "kinda" there.. Problem is, with #resolvegate all of it is trivialized as soon as you have the resolve to run the zones. (Cept maybe for the challenge). I wouldn't say ascension spells are completely useless. Timed right, some can be pretty powerful. I just don't agree with adding new abilities until old AA are fixed..

We are getting off topic here. The epic 2.0 is 100% optional for Non-Raiders. Like I said before, this is NOT the dev's fault for lack of content. Honestly, the zones are a BLAST if you are like 15ish resolve under. Some of them are actually challenging.

If the only thing you have left to do is 2.0 then go run the faction required. For the most likely over powered rewards, i'm sure the grind will be worth it.
  6. Cragfire Well-Known Member

I think its funny how people are remember Epic 1.0 being a huge long crazy quest - it wasn't... Even with a single faction grind (which was typically a Kunark Faction on tier with the player characters), Epic 1 can be ground out in a few hours today.

Epic 2.0s was the big toy for this x-pack. It could have easily been incorporated into the current timelines and zones.. pushing forward instead of backwards. Going back and doing 400~600 grey quests adds nothing to the story, the lore, but it dose add artificial time gates and requirements. No other quest line to date has remotely come close to requiring this much grey content as a perquisite.. nothing.

Example 1: 80+ quests to learn the pigmy language to read a single book in a hidden cache.. why was the book writing in pigmy? I have no clue.. they are not known as being great fighters and are very primitive as a race.. really.. there is no reason other then to add a time restriction and gate..

Example 2: The Jarsath Wastes Hammer. its cool that it's needed in the quests at first though.. To get it.. 50k faction with three more races which means pretty much all the quests in the JW zone. That's a huge time sink and is just a single item (perquisite) in the series. One of these quests has to be done completely naked as a character as the targets can be one shotted - but need to be below 20% health for the quest..

Remember it was stated that no Raids are needed to complete Epic 2.0s.. that means these weapons are for everyone.. not just raiders.
  7. Vunder Well-Known Member

I left during the summer because of the idiotic ethereal stick on a carrot gag they had.

I came back with the xpac expecting to have fun. Nope.

Having played this game since 2004. This asinine backlog of quests is too much. I can do it on 1 character. But to be forced to do this on my alts that are needed for raids and groups.

Simply a game killing move. Couple weeks left on sub, will end for the first time in 12 years.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  8. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Good luck, Vunder. I have seen your name and posts on the forums for a long time. I hope you find a new game worth playing.
    Mizgamer62 likes this.
  9. Erszebeth Active Member

Actually, when Epic 1.0 came out, I ran the berserker HEROIC epic, non-raid version in 8 hours, start to finish, including the faction grind for Jinisk. People acting like epics were a HUGE DEAL and NOT FOR EVERYONE....the only people who DIDN'T get their epic were the ones who simply refused to or did not do any heroic content period. The weapons were BiS short of raiding, and if you got the mythical it was BiS until you did epic repercussion, 2 X-pacs later.
    TL;DR: Original epics were NOT long and tedious grinds or slogs, they were long...ish, interesting, and ALMOST exclusively took place within the kunark expansion.
  10. Mizgamer62 Feldon Fan Club Member

I understand how you feel. I no longer play my alts and am focusing on one character. Even then, I am struggling to do all of that old content, but if I don't, the new expansion was so small that it doesn't leave much else to do to improve or progress. Best of luck to you.;
  11. Earar Well-Known Member

what ?
    I don't want to be bored to level up and I want to do nice quests.
    claymore wasn't easy ... u had to find groups, u had to go to temple of the scaleborn, do all kind of stuff for people of your group because not everybody was at the same level.
    then u had to .. I don't remember much but there was the EPICX2 then the deathtoll access quest then the raids

it was long and if you couldn't raid u couldn't finish it. but it used content of the actual Xpac and it was rewarding.

right now we are forced to grind stupid grey faction and feels there is nothing else to do
  12. Earar Well-Known Member

the first epic wasn't that hard.

depended on the classes, for warden u had to have 40k faction with synok reeds, for dirge, u have to travel around the world and the most annoying part was to speak djin and get the poet palace access if your dirge was new

the coercer quest was easy if I remember and the bruiser wasn't that hard either.

epic fabled needed grouping, most had stuff to do in chardok or sebilis so u could always find people. Sometimes the hardest part was to start the actual quest, get the starter.

the mythical part was just killing 3 named for most and a dragon from veeshan's peak.

it wasn't hard at all and wasn't tedious or boring. just took time and grouping. and for most it was RoK content. The ones that couldn't manage to get their epic mythical on time during RoK could still do it during TSO or even after with better gear. The old epic wasn't awfull ... just parts of waiting for named, but that's a normal part from mmo .. and it's not like the old days of EQ2 where if u wanted some of the best gears (I remember a robe in feerott) .. u had to be really really lucky to get the dro and really farm and camp.
  13. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

You can do Claymore again on your next character if that's what you want.
    Who is forcing you to grind faction? You are obviously forcing yourself because you want to do top things in EQ2 while nobody asked you to do it. It is your choice. You bought an expansion expecting it to be Claymore 2 but you've got not what you have expected. You probably made a conclusion that you have reasons to be upset. Well, try to sort it out yourself if you can.

My concern is different. My concern is that the forum gets totally useless because hundreds of people who are playing and enjoying the game put their personal negativity here instead of useful information that could help other players to get interested in EQ2. Instead of expanding EQ2 auditorium these people are systematically put the game, the company and developers down. They main motto is: since I'm not happy, let's destroy it in the most unpleasant way possible.
  14. Earar Well-Known Member

I wasn't expecting anything. Just came back to EQ2 after a long break.
    I leveled up my main toon, enjoyed the questing, got to 100. Then the KA came and my gear was so trash I couldn't even play the expac .. had use my other lvl 100 boosted char to go to solo instances and drop gear for my main so I could start playing KA.
    now I'm to the point where I slowly come back from my abysmal dps ... get gear, get tithe, get ascension xp .. do the adv solo missions every day .. do the faction grinding a bit everyday ... did the craft timeline .. and sadly I'm to the point where I don't have much to do.

Too good for adv solo (no challenge) not good enough for heroic, I group sometimes but I feel totally useless in them and so I'm bored already coz I did all the quests available for me with my main, and it's first time I get bored so fast in an expac.

but to get back to your problem, nobody forces you to read people's negativity :)
  15. Evguenil62 Well-Known Member

And this is exactly what I am doing last months. Does it make you happier? Was your intention? :)
    I guess I stop reading this forum again after I cool off a bit :)
  16. Meaghan Stormfire Well-Known Member

Probably for the best.
  17. Tekka Well-Known Member

It already has on some aspects (research and merc training). I think it's a matter of time before you can buy your way to max level ascension, via time reducers.
  18. Malleria Well-Known Member

I have to say, I much prefer doing quantifiable faction grinds or quest lines even in old grey content to running the same KA heroic for the 15th time trying to get a RNG shiny. Current content does not automatically mean good :rolleyes:
    Quillyne and Dude like this.
  19. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Are you confusing "time spent" to get the epic with "enjoyable time spent" to get the epic? Because I'm not going to pay a gaming company money so they can feed me with boring busy work.

If I want someone to bore me with an endless stream of busy work, I'll go get a job with the government and get paid for doing it, although, even in that case, no, no thanks.
  20. Gillymann Abusive Relationships Aren't Healthy. J S.

Right, and with the exception of the speak as a dragon stuff, they were level relevant and had plenty of challenging heroic requirements. I still remember the pirate fight on my swash, and loved my guild for helping me clear it.
    Cragfire likes this.