Cog Fog or just being daft?

Discussion in 'Norrathian Homeshow' started by Cyrrena, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

The only thing I learned to do with JesDyr's Layout Editor after months of studying his videos and other videos and trying exactly what they were doing in exactly the same houses with exactly the same items was to tile a floor. Now, for the life of me, I cannot get anything to show up when using the Layout Editor. I have saved With, Without, built a row, tiled an area, saved with, without, loaded working, done everything the videos show, followed Gracey's books, and nothing causes the tiles to appear on the floor. It shows on the list that the editor has moved them from the moving crate to the floor, it gives the locations of them, but they do not actually show up.

I am totally at a loss and have been tearing my hair out over this for a bit over a month now and am ready to just throw my hands up and admit defeat. Does anybody by chance have any ideas of why the tiles will not appear on the floor?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I have a 2 - Sprockets Interlocking Plane homes and 2 - City of Mist homes to get decorated and I am behind schedule by about 6 weeks now because of this tiling problem. I have tremors in my hands so they are not steady enough to place the tiles by hand any longer.

Thank you in advance for any idea, thoughts, or suggestions.

~Cyrrena
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  2. Merriel Well-Known Member

Cyrenna, When you click File>New From Diff, the editor pops open a New File From Difference box.

Under Original File, make sure it is pointing to your EQII\saved_house_layouts folder and the layout named With.

In the Difference file, make sure it is pointing to the same directory and to your Without file.

In the Destination File, make sure it is pointing to the same directory again and at the Working layout.

Then click Go and you should see your New from Diff items and when you make your changes and Apply Edits and Save All in the main window, then load your Working layout, you should see your changes in the house once the layout has loaded.
  3. Ocarinah Well-Known Member

If you are still having trouble and you see me logged in as Ocarinah or Honex, send me a tell. I might be able to come help you, even if I just quick lay the tile for you and teach you another day. If I don't respond it is cuz I had to go afk.
  4. elflover Well-Known Member

Ive had this happen a few times...what I did was make sure tiles (all but the initial starting tile) where in the crate. resave my layout, exit house re-enter and reload editor. then once i copied(duplicate then move tile in direction i wanted) and the upload the saved file. now if you save a group make sure you save under another file name, to make sure your uploading the right file. i dont use the diff with or without its too damn confusing.
  5. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

I myself use Sennen's OpenSource layout editor about 95-99% of the time. The one thing I miss about JesDyr's is the lovely Copy Location Info->Paste Location Info feature (well, that and the ability to move things on a compass rose diagonal, NW/SE/etc.). But I'm with Elflover on this one. ;->

And I use Oaky's videos a lot when placing scads of tiles/dividers/whatevers when re-skinning: basically, if it's a stack of tiles that I want to lay out in a certain way, I'll make sure the first one, the "prototype," the "template," is exactly where I want it, then I just make sure the others in that W/E row, for example, have all the other same coords except for increasing or decreasing each West or East by a factor of four (if I haven't messed with the size scale, the tiles are like 2 units [feet, yards, meters, Giant King's big toe, whatever], so mid-point to mid-point would be 4 across). Then for the next row, say to the North, lather, rinse, repeat, with the only change in coords this time being the N/S one on the "template" tile for that row. Granted, this is all infinitely easier with the Copy/Paste Location Info loveliness, but it can be done with pure number entry. :)

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  6. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Thank you Ocarinah. I have been avoiding logging in at all because I am drawn to tile at least one of those houses and its beyond frustrating.
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  7. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I tried the new from diff thing and that didn't work either. I tried a group, that didn't work. I think I have that same house now saved with and without under about 6 different names and another couple of names for when I tried the groups.

Thank you so much, for your response, I will try resave, exit, re-enter and reload and see if that works.
  8. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Thank you Uwkete. I might try this on one of them. Definitely going to look at Ocarinah's videos, I haven't seen hers. I have watched Jes'Dyr's, Kianne, and quite a few others but not Ocarinah's.
  9. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oaky's are more for JesDyr's, but among the things I love about Sennen's is that the learning curve for it is way more shallow than for JesDyr's. The other thing I really, really love is that you can have it open while you're fiddling about with stuff in the house, /save your layout, then go right into the editor, and it will perk up and go, "Ah! I've seen that you've updated your file. Would you like me to update this here? :)" and you go, "Why yes, of course, good program; thank you very much! Please do so. :)"

There are those who mutter that having that capability tends to result in some loss of fine points, but for me, that's like watching something going from the 10.98765000 I'd saved it as initially "down to" 10.98764999. It really doesn't bother me that much, and I can't tell just looking at it. ;->

Another nice thing about Sennen's is that when you change a number, it'll fill in the rest of the zeroes automatically, but I may be the only one who likes that. ;-> The one drawback I have with it, besides the lack of Copy/Paste Location Information (sigh) and moving things diagonally is that when you first open a layout file with it, you have to adjust the widths of the various spreadsheet-like columns in order to actually see the name of the item clearly. Sennen does have a tendency to use the exact same width for the Crate? check box and the row indicator on the far left as he does for numbers with eight digits after the decimal point. :-/ So I initially go along like I would in Excel and double-click on the edge of a column, or even scrunch it manually, to get the widths of everything else down to where they should be, so I can have as much room as possible for the Item Name field and have everything including the Crate? checks visible (barely) on one page. ;->

What I find with a re-skin hiding from me is that frequently, I've trusted too much to the anchor point of something like a tile (center of bottom side) or divider (center of bottom "edge," the narrowest side) staying where it should ("Nope. Too low. Ain't gonna render it. Nope nope nope. Ya can't make me." :p). At that point, I yell bloody murder at the stupid building block and raise it up and flip it, then get it back down to where it was, and/or do the same with just maths ("Thou shall not thwart me again! :mad: Get you to -180.00000000 degrees, foul wretch!" [or 90.00000000, whatever works ;->]).

But I'm sure you know about that trick to prevent unnecessary amounts of frustration hair-pulling... ;->

Uwk
    Marae, Cyrrena and Breanna like this.
  10. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

Is there by chance a listing somewhere of where the anchor points of various objects are?
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Breanna like this.
  11. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Once upon a time, there was a wonderful Excel-like spreadsheet available online (there might still be a link to it in one of these posts somewhere! :D) that mostly focused on the relative scale sizes of the various building blocks (I think it was actually called, "Scales" as a file), as well as some of their other properties. One of the columns in the 'sheet was titled Center Point, and nearly all of the Blocks have it as "bottom center"; the Triangle "Tile" (please, devs, that's a BLOCK, not a Tile) has its center point at the center of the base or hypotenuse, so I guess the default bottom. Basically, if you can get a Triangle Tile to stand on one "leg," using Pitch, it's a right triangle (equilateral? Equilateral isosceles [all sides same length; two angles same at 45° each, with 90 at the top]? I think so; it's been waaay too long since geometry :-/).

Maybe that's why, other than things like coconuts and "cue balls," we don't have a lot of spheres in-game? Though with the relative paucity of polygons that make them up, there should be all sorts of "bottom center sides" to use there... ;->

Uwk
    Breanna and Cyrrena like this.
  12. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I will begin a hunt for that spreadsheet!!!
  13. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Oaky's got it in The Decorator's Resource page! :D

Under.......er......

("Brief pause while I adjust my accoutrements." --Daffy Duck)

Ah! Other Guides and Info, Building Block Dimensions, in the second post on that first page. :)

Uwk
    Breanna, Cyrrena and Rosyposy like this.
  14. Cyrrena Well-Known Member

I saw that and added it as a tab to my spreadsheets!!!! Thank you so much!