Coercer's Crisis

Discussion in 'Mages' started by mutinay, Nov 10, 2017.

1. mutinay New Member

I like to start off by saying I have had my little rants and complaints on here before, but this time i'm so dang upset, and I don't tend to get upset over games to this point but after investing near 4 years and lots of cash on this game I have to say that Coercers have totally been straponized.

Where to begin, lets start from last night, congrats to Reignstorm for killing Trak, that being said being benched for the fight made me realize how non essential a coercer is and by far given nothing that makes them special, agro transfer ability also done by other classes, mana regen can be done by other classes, mezz done by other clases, mimic other classes ( illys even get time compression) nothing a coercer does that cant be done in some way by another class even in a weaker form it is still something that puts a coercer place in group or raid on maybe status.

Lets be honest you don't see coercers shooting fire balls and playing tunes or rezz, passive mana regen buffs and extra hate and a not fast enough reset coercer shout, channel, manasoul and channeled focus, and the worsxt of them manaward, which with a great, hey even mediocre healer has wards that better protect a player and ones that don't wipe their power or kill the caster.

Epic 1, sirens gift and stare perfect compliments to the coercer class and I do love the manaflow of a entire group, that is unique and useful and a utility spell, epic 2.0 we get a pretty sweet buff spell for our dang pet which half the time in raids your killing or not casting as to not pull other mobs or get attacked,and the mana one that 1 point per potency per mana spent, terrible spell, its tricky to use and better not be a power drain fight because if it is then its invalid and not usable.

I am hoping to see better done for the coercer class, and I don't know about other coercers but I play my post utility, I am not concerned with DPS not my job most times if I'm even hired for one, we don't need OP spells that do massive damage, we need to be made relevant, unique, useful.

I hope while in beta still you guys unlock that pet buff to be cast on a player instead, that make coercers a sought out class for groups and raids and it be a awesome start, maybe in the future we can see a double charm or 5 mob charm spell, a unique mezz and interrupt that other classes cant compete with, or mana cloak soul channel ether balance made like manaflow and you can cast on a group your not in physically, even our fun spells nerfed and cant do to anyone because they resist them, the potential for this class I love so much is so broad and full of possibilities it is heart breaking to not see them remotely touched.

I apologize if I offended anyone in the creative team but I am not wrong here and not first to say it, so many classes get all these great abilities and such, and we gotta sit back and watch everyone else get ahead faster because we have become back shelved maybes.

Mutinay

AB and one damn good coercer that be exceptional with the right abilities.
    Meneltel likes this.
  2. Fairin Active Member

one doesn't just walk into Mordor Trakanon meme.

lots of classes have very useless abilities. take for instance the troubador mez spell.. it procs our dots / epic 2.0 on cast instantly breaking it. - will the dev team listen to the elites that know the innerworkings of their class ? probably not, i mean i got my troubador doctorate here somewhere... (if you do actually listen. can you make tap essence restore mana 10 times stronger? that'd be swell fun watching it restore between 3 and 20k while everyone elses seems to do 200k=P )

people that did not get in on the first trak kill are obviously considered for the next, and the next as we do want our flawless statues after all. we had more than 24 people show up for raid - people were even on alts that didnt have the quest to kill trak. it was not singling you out. you'll get your chance to shine. and muckup things =(^.-.~)=
    Cheral likes this.
  3. Gregore Active Member

I just saw this post. You're doing it all wrong if you're not on the parse. I'm consistently 4th or 5th on Blood Oath's (#4 or 5 raiding guild on HOF) parse for LONG raid fights, and a threat to win any given short fight parse on Gregore, my raid main Coercer since SF XPAC. I beat A LOT of T1 DPSers in heroic groups. I don't see a link to look at your toon, so I'm going to go over the basics below:

1. I highly recommend my AA spec. I honestly don't see any way to make it any better, and am extremely pleased with it.

2. Get your doublecast up to 200. Do this by attacking it from several different angles. Get the best doublecast belt and cloak you can get. Get the 3 PG white LVL 4 doublecast adorns (7% each). And yes, 7% doublecast is worth more than the 2% fervor from the Panda set, so go down to just 3 runes for the panda set. Get some of the good green adorns with doublecast. Don't remember the names, but a little research will get you what you need. There's either handcrafted food or drink from the POP XPAC with doublecast on it. Most importantly, make a toon on the FG server, and level it to 30. At level 30 you get a familiar level up potion for the rest of your account that you can claim. You can also do the Glowing Black Stone heritage Quest that starts in Antonnica. You can start the HQ at level 25, but it is easier to do at 30, and you get the familiar potion at 30. You can claim a 32 doublecat/32flurry necklace for the rest of your account that has a nice proc on it from doing this HQ on the FG server. It does drain power, but you play a Coercer, so a non-issue. This necklace was made for your toon! All of this will still leave you a little short on doublecast. Reforge gear into casting speed until you get to 200 doublecast. Just don't go past 1,100 casting speed. I only have to go to about 918 casting speed to get mine to 200, and I'm not using the casting speed food.

3. Work hard on getting your potency as high as you can. Things that improve your crit bonus also improve your potency, as you should be dual specced now. If you have alts that you play, give all of their deity and gear infusers to your Coercer. At this point in the XPAC, a raiding Coercer should be in the high 70's to low 80's on their potency. There's probably a few even higher than that in top 10 WW raiding guilds. I myself am over 82K POT in raid, and that's still not good enough. I want to be at 100K! I am working hard to get there.

4. Pay to Win on the ascensions. Yes, I know it sucks, but there really is no other efficient way to level them up. You should be going etherealist on a Coercer and get them to GM. Levinbolt, Focused Blast, Cascading Force, and Etherflash all play well with mimic, if you want to mimic yourself. Eth. Assassin and Implosion don't work with mimic. Most of the time you'll want to mimic a T1 DPSer though. I like wizards, BL's, and Rangers as mimic targets. Stay away from Summoners as mimic targets, as their pets do a lot of their damage. Sometimes, I will mimic myself if all of my ascension are up. You can get 3 ascensions in on a mimic, if you mimic yourself. Hit your mimic a few seconds into a boss pull, and then hit it as often as possible after that, assuming you're not jousting or something when it comes back up. Put a tell macro on your mimic so when you hit it, it will tell you mimic target that you're mimicking them for the next 12sec. You can also have your mimic target make a tell macro to tell you when to mimic them. I like it when my favorite mimic target is also in my group. I hit my Channel II spell (50 fervor/50fervor overcap for 8sec, which has a group tell macro attached to it to let my group know I'm casting it), then hit my mimic for some awesome DPS!

5. Make sure you pick the right target to possess essence/copy for your pet. That spell doesn't work good for copying DPS classes. It works best for copying buff/debuff classes. So look to copy a Troub, Illy, or Brig. I copy myself in heroic groups, or when I need to power drain a mob fast. In raid, I copy a Troub 99% of the time, as I'm almost always in the main tank group W/O a Troub or Illy for buffs. Make sure you have the pet set to do melee DPS. It will be hampered if you have it set to do ranged DPS. Cast your epic 2.0 Mastermind spell every time it comes up, and get it to ancient level ASAP! This turns your pet into a BEAST, and is 20% of your parse.

6. Get your other epic 2.0 spell up to ancient level. That's over 16 more fervor you get for yourself 100% of the time.

7. Get your four PG orange adorns up to level 5 and work towards getting that awesome flying demon goat mount from accumulate the 48 POP rare and making the 12 MC fabled items. Put those items on to improve your POT. I have 15 more rares to go to get my demon mount! I'll have it soon! Best mount in the game ATM. Work towards it.

8. Don't just power feed your group, help out any other groups in the raid with power feeds. Make sure you put coercive healing on one of your group healers. Cast Intellectual Remedy during rough parts of pulls to aid all of the healers in your raid. You also have a passive AA ability to add 8% to your group's healer's heals. You're a healers best friend! cast thought Snap and Coercive Shout often. Don't wait for the tank to lose agro to cast it. Be proactive and cast it a few seconds into a pull, when the T1 DPSers are unloading on a mob. If you wait until the tank losses agro, the raid mob will probably have turned and killed two or three raiders by the time you cast it. When you have to mez mobs for a fight, turn your auto attack and pet attack off, so you don't break your mez. tell others in your raid to not hit AOE's in close proximity of your mezzed mob. They may need to go singular focus as well, so as not to break your mez.

9. Take the time to read all of your spells and abilities, paying special attention to their durations and recast times. Arrange them on your hot bar in a logical manner. You should be pre-buffing pre-pulls. Put those spells in a row, and cast the longest lasting ones first in your pre-buff order. Levinbolt and focused blast should be side by side, so you can hit levinbolt, hit FB to reset Levinbolt, and hit Levinbolt again. You will find similar combos to arrange on your hotbars. read and understand what your spells do!

10. Understand which buffs to hand out when, and to who. In raid, I almost always have to hand out 5 peaceful links, so that we have one on each T1 DPSer. Put a tell macro on your peaceful link, so your target knows that you put the PL on them. Coordinate with the other Coercers in your raid as to which Coercer is putting PL's on which group's DPSers. In groups I can put my GM level reset ascension on somebody in my group, and my INT/AGI group buff. If you have more than one healer in your group, put your coercive heals buff on the one that will make the most of it, such as a shaman. Channelers make very poor coercive heals targets because of how their heals work.

11. Pay attention to everything during raid fights. Your peaceful link targets will die, and you need to be ready to put a new PL on them once they're rezzed. Failing to notice and do that will get them quickly killed again, and reduce raid DPS/possibly wipe the raid. They will also need power when first rezzed, so hit them with a mana flow as your putting your PL back on them. You may need to Thought Snap or Coercive shout mobs back to the tanks as well. If raiders are starting to die, cast your raid wide Intellectual Remedy to help all of your raid healers get caught up on heals. Your coercive heals target may die, and may need that buff put back on them, or you may need to put it on a different healer in your group temporarily to help them shoulder the extra healing burden until the other healer can be rezzed. Your tank may die. You need to be ready to put your 2 tank buffs/hate transfer on them, mana flow them, and coercive shout/thought snap mobs back to them. In heroics groups, a timely group mez cast after a tank death can give your group the precious seconds it needs for the tank to be rezzed and regain agro, instead of the group wiping. A group mez and single target stuns can also greatly slow down mobs in heroics if your group is starting to be over whelmed from a bad tank pull/bad luck.

That's about it for now. I'll add to this if I think of anything else. You can be a great utility asset to your group and raid, and still DPS like a boss if your work at it.
    Blazen, zionmount, Cheral and 3 others like this.
  4. Alarra Well-Known Member

Thanks for the awesome Post.

Comparing your AA to mine, I saw a lot of similarities, but maybe there seems to be some room for discussion.
    • I notice you don't spec into EV, i it because the pot is negligible now?
    • Saw that you don't have the Velocity group wide, I concur, melee stats don't matter for much more than proccing, will probably do as you did and put it into thought snap
    • Any reason why you would go for the full STR line in the enchanter tree? I stopped at Spellblades Reflexes for the rand increase and the reposite
    • In the Coercer tree why do you not have point in the Enhance Channel? It reduces the recast by 300 Seconds
    • I see I still had some stuff for redundent reuse stuff, will fix that on my own spec (thanks!!)
    • In the heroic tree, why don't you have point in the Max health part?
    • In Prestige, have you tried with both Etherbalance and Mind Control? Mind Control is Great at power feeding
    Will be looking at my AA spec tonight and fixing it up a little.
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

from my short time returned before I quit again, I can easily from what I observed, the game is far more T1 dps heavy then it used to be. but chanters can still dps just fine.
    I don't think they should be 4th or 5th. that should still be t1 dps. (summoners/wizzy/warlock/etc etc). If everyone is playing high on their game.
  6. Chillispike Active Member

- EV only gives 200pot which is like nothing, compared to the increased power cost.
    - Melee damage ain't that important anymore so yeah you can spec out of it
    - the str line gives reposte any some melee stats, i have that spec as well because the faster casting or the others are benefiting much either these days.. sadly the str line does give base damage to wands
    - The recast of channel doesn't apply when you have 100% recast allready. It would apply if it's base reuse time, but it isn't. I specced for it to make the group gain more power on the share.
  7. Moss Well-Known Member

There are some truth here but also some things that should be clarified.

Empathic Aura: improves heal amount by 8% with 10 points, in fact that gives +8 potency to heals not 8%, that's some wasted aa points, it adds about 200 healing to 1.5M spells

Intellectual Remedy: add +15 potency and +15 crit bonus to heals which is useless, the only important parts of that aa is the additional trigger which only affects a very few heal class. I'm waiting to see the fix of the Rune Illuminated Bonds tomorrow because it may overcap those few healers triggers abilities and make this aa finaly fully useless.

Peacefull link: any dps expecting this aa to help their aggro should look at their aggro parse. Dps should better reforge some Hate Mod as it cost almost nothing to be overcap. As for the damage component well with 100k+ potency that parse at about 20-40M dps, on 10B+ dps parse well...

EV: it gives me about 420 potency, which is not like nothing as every single potency point counts currently, especially on T3 targets

Power feeding: all chanters mana regens does not take into account their potency (in contrary to some other class) , so in fact power feeding is reduce to Mana Flow, Channel and Manasoul, all other abilities will feed your group for about 1k to 10k potency when some players have more that 1M mana pool, with the current increase in mana cost for lvl 101+ abilities it is almost irrevelant

Now if you compare a coercer to many other class "with the same stats and ascensions abilities" you could ask yourself why not replace them by something else.

Coercer power feeding is lesser than many other class (warden, troub, bl, warders, ...)
    Coercer utility is reduced to Mind's Eye and Signet of Intellect, which compared to other class groupwide buff and damage component are very low.
    Coercer dps is of course lower many other class (when compared with same stats)
    Coercer hate buff and generation are very limited, any troub is 10x more usefull than a coercer

Even our new Masterming spell, which is great for its short duration, does not compare to some groupwide damage proc of some other class.

Playing a powerfull coercer requires some (a lot) of pay to win to upgrade your ascensions and abilites, a lot of timeplay to max out your character, the best gear to increase your potency, and a good knowledge to max out your dps. But you could/will still be outparsed by some tanks and heals that do the same.

In the past when you compared the dps of chanters with almost the same gear you would see 20-50% dps difference depending of their play style. Now you will see some chanters doing 5x to 10x the dps of other chanters only because of they play time and money put into game.
    BuddyT, Gregore and Alarra like this.
  8. Chillispike Active Member

You sure it's 420 potency gain?
    I ask because when you look at the gain in the time you casted it, its the EV gain and the "Power from the Soul" from prestige on top of it.
    Math behind it:
    I have 27331 Int * 0,75% = 204 Potency
    for 420 potency gain you need at least double of my int which is .. let's round it up 60k int
    I don't say it's impossible to have that much int, but i guess it's the "Power from the Soul" that kicks in.
    To check the actual gain of it you need to cast and wait 7+ seconds for the "Power from the Soul" to wear off.
    Personaly i still have it specced, even it's a kind of low incease. Sometimes i turn it off to get a mana flow in early (5% instead of 15%)
  9. Moss Well-Known Member

EV potency bonus is affected by potency modifiers, potency modifiers goes from a minimum of 1.66 to 1.84, with 32000 int that makes from 400 to 440 potency
  10. Moss Well-Known Member

Also I would like to point out that I have never been able to see any proof that possess essence is affected by your target when you cast it. I have made a lot of test in group/raid with many different classes and I have never see any difference on my buff stats or parse. Possess essence is only affected by your own stats.
    BuddyT likes this.
  11. Illflow New Member

I'm interested in why, if you're spec'd for EV, you dont put it on T1 who have higher potential for dps numbers.
    Kraeref likes this.
  12. Alarra Well-Known Member

I did a fairly major overhaul of my spec, if you would care to have a look. (Apparently the Census is not updating properly until 2018/4/3 update for my character, so please check then)
    https://u.eq2wire.com/soe/aas/450972114911

I agree that EV potency is pretty much worthless, I checked it and it was only giving like 200-300 potency. It eats like 24 points to spec both that and Psychic Trauma, which can be spent elsewhere.
  13. Moss Well-Known Member

You are wasting a lot of AA in the Enchanter tree, melee damage are almost worthless, and you should probably better use your ranged weapon wich is not blocked by your spells, and Volatile Magic is only giving +15 potency for 14 aa points.

I always spec all 3 end line int the Heroic tree, Psychic Trauma which deal some decent damage, Convert Power who is really powerfull in solo and high end content, you could use it to save your life, to protect your group wards or to get back to full mana. And EV for +400 potency, very important for high end content (for you or a t1 dps if you have any in your group)
  14. Earar Well-Known Member

EV is good

there are point u don't need

attribute prowess .. better EV
    only 1 point in manasoul is enough

cognizant reduction ? shield of runes ? silent thoughts ? why points in there ?

why 10 points in spellblade's counter ? or spellblade's reflexes ? If you want to use points in enchanter tree, do in 2nd column

same in the prestige tree .. lots of choices I don't understand
  15. Moss Well-Known Member

I see a lot of chanters that put only 1 point in manasoul, I think it is better to invest 4 to 5 points in it.

The reason is that with 1 point you have to wait 3 to 4 ticks to get your group full mana. With 4-5 points you will do a full mana regen on your group with the first tick and you could cancel it immediatly to reduce the reuse time.

Players who put only 1 points tends to let it go until the end, putting their health at risks and putting more stress on a healer that will need to keep healing the chanters for the duration of the spell. With more points as you could cancel it immediatly your health will almost not move.

I think it is worth the investment as a lot of AA do almost nothing on the chanters dps parse.
  16. Alarra Well-Known Member

I'm not really speccing for the melee damage.
    • Spellblade's counter is an interrupt which can be cycled in when hemmorage's CD is in effect.
    • Spellblade's reflexes increase the range of Spellblade's Counter and Nullifying Staff to 10 meters.,
      an additional interrupt and Combat Mitigation Debuff with a 10 meter range.
    • Spellblade's reflexes, a 10% chance to parry/reposite damage.
    Noted, I was under the assumption that it was base potency or something like that. Will look at making it better.

Hmm a 5 second stoneskin that actually works? How many points do you need to spend for all 3?
    The 100 Reposite no longer works for Coercive shout, so does it work with convert power?

EV literally only gives 200-300 potency when your Power From The Soul has stopped proccing from casting it, I guess it is better than Volitile Magic in that respect.

I tried it once a long time ago with 5 point and compared with 1 point and found no difference. Have you always found it so, or since we have had large amounts of potency. I tested it in ToV.
  17. Alarra Well-Known Member

I have run out of time today to reply, but will do later.
  18. Moss Well-Known Member

stats with food + potions + powerlink + all raid temp buffs, 32170 int, 1.84 potency modifier

without EV : 98.870
    with EV : 99.316
    without EV + Power from the Soul : 99.346
    with EV + Power from the Soul : 99.792
    Alarra likes this.
  19. Moss Well-Known Member

Manasoul with ~73M health

Rank 1 : ~420k mana per tick
    Rank 2.: ~560k mana per tick
    Rank 3.: ~700k mana per tick
    Rank 4.: ~840k mana per tick
    Rank 5.: ~980k mana per tick
    ... + ~140k per rank
    Alarra likes this.
  20. Alarra Well-Known Member

I had it for improving EV and damage, but I guess it doesn't really need to added. Thought it also said that ti added Stamina, but it says it doesn't....so reading comprehension skills there hehe.

• cognizant reduction
      -> Decrease Priest Mob Damage and Heal amounts.
    • shield of runes
      -> Increase Survival (although I will need to check if it is only adding it to mitigation or it is doing something else, found survivability went up when I specced it, helped immensly with epic 2.0 island mob)
    • silent thoughts
      ->Add more damage to Silence I will have to check the amounts again.
    Spellblade's counter and Reflexes are explained in an earlier post.
    I would never do 2nd tree as it has a negligible effect on Double cast.

With this prestige I can get both CB and Pot boosts. Mind Control heals the target and fills their power almost instantly per tick.
    Also having the ability to have a little damage boost from Ether Balance.
    The pet barely ever dies so it doesn't need the extra points.