Coercers 2013

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Zbones, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Zbones New Member

So I am coming back after playing some old school EQ (Project 1999). And I seriously want to continue playing my 'Enchanter', but I am hearing alot of mixed things. In EQ I could charm nearly anything, stun and mez nearly everything. I was incredibly useful to my group (Besides just buff-botting), and it was a fun class to play.

So how does Coercer stand up currently in EQ2? Is it what I am looking for? If not is there anything similar to the old Enchanter?
  2. Ucala Well-Known Member

a coercer should never really mez/stun stuff nowadays, there are a few exceptions, like if the mob is casting something a chanter has plenty of interrupts to prevent it. but as for a coercer their main role is to power feed their group and other groups as well as putting out dps.
  3. Rairine Member

I came to EQ2 hoping my enchanter would be similar, I do find it a bit disappointing that I dont have to concentrate so much in groups due to the game not needing crowd control.

Im not sure why our dps should be on the 1.3 multiplier rather than 1.5 too when I see the dps that some of the tanks are able to dish out.
  4. valdoras Member

Ucala summed it up pretty well. An end-game raiding coercer has two main roles: feeding mana, and doing DPS. In challenge-mode instances there are often aoes/buffs or something that a mob will cast that are interruptable, and while coercers are arguably the best at this, they are certainly not the only class with that ability.
  5. Davito Active Member

Very few fights ingame require anything outside of the normal passive utility that chanters/bards provide anymore. Every class in game needs to be able to dps while doing their primary roles. And unfortunately with the inflated stats and how the game has evolved, it would be nearly impossible to implement a way for utility to be useful for anything besides passive utility. So no, no similar classes.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

I've had experiences with utility who use the 'passive buff bot' method and those those who actually PLAY their utility. There is a huge difference in the contributions between the two ways of playing utility.
  7. Davito Active Member

Sorry, but you are wrong. A coercer has to buff (passive), and hit PoM (a monkey can click 1 button) if it isn't 1 of the very few fights they have to actually mana flow. Other than that, NOTHING else from them will effect your groups/raids parse. Other than by proxy, a longer kill time.
  8. Ucala Well-Known Member

Coercers still do hold a nice hate gain/transfer the gain isn't too important imo but the transfer is :p if your tank is bad and needs help, it only means you should dps more xD
  9. Davito Active Member

True, but the most relevant parts of the hate buff are also passive. As you said, the hate gain, but then also 10% pot. If coercer xfer is a game breaker for a tank, then that speaks volumes for that tank.
  10. Ucala Well-Known Member

yea, if that's what makes or breaks aggro for the tank than there are other issues, but yea :p coercers haven't done any of their "class moves" in ages, last thing I can think of is mezzing adds for nexona. since than controlling mobs are a thing of the past. not counting the sometimes interrupting mobs
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

A utility as a passive buff bot is almost always worse to have in a group then any other competently and actively played class. Perhaps most of the utility part is passive, but that doesn't mean that a utility toon is ONLY useful for their passive stuff. All the stuns, interupts, etc from the coercer may not actually increase the groups parse... but they can prevent bit hits, etc. Boosting parses isn't the only thing utility can or should do. Coercers can also snap for the tank with coercive shout and thought snap.
  12. Ucala Well-Known Member

didn't know people still use coercive shout and thought snap.
    but all in all the number 1 thing I hate is when a tank pulls a mob and the mob gets snared/stunned/rooted 5000 meters from us. be smart stunners.
    but yes nowadays utility is only good for boosting parses :p
  13. Mermut Well-Known Member

In PuGs, I use coercive shout and thought snap with depressing regularity on my coercer. It makes the healer's job much easier when tanks don't snap adds or don't realize that if they see the mob's butt then they need to snap.
  14. Ucala Well-Known Member

thought snap would be nice if it was 100% to the tank, but it could go to any tank (aka coercer pets that are tanks, mystic dog is a tank I think)
  15. Mermut Well-Known Member

I've never noticed it snap to a pet, but still better to a pet and off the healer (or me).
  16. Davngr Well-Known Member

does thought snap work again?

and as far as playing a coercer goes for me, basically i just feed mana and keep stuff stunned if at all needed. don't really enjoy dps'ing on a coercer anymore, perhaps it's because i die too much when i try to melee or just that the class doesn't play like it use to, imo.
  17. Kraeref Well-Known Member

It does work on raid trash or in heroic. On high quality you can see how spell turns them toward a tank instantly. Beautiful spell btw :) It works nicely in ST where trash hits with frontal. It helps to turn them away from the raid.
    Non applicable though on named fights with adds if adds are worked by OT.

Put PL on your self and if needed SH. Stay behind the mob 9 meters (within melee range) and joust when aoe hits. Then you won't die often.

Coercers can parse nicely on long fights.
  18. Ucala Well-Known Member

this is what you don't want to do as a coercer OP. keeping stuff stunned is ok but really it isn't an issue, you have enough non stunnable interrupts to rotate if need by. and I never figured how people don't go in and melee as a coercer, let alone don't really dps. it's just like healers and not dpsing. I always wonder what they do with all that inbetween time
  19. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Sometimes a raid leader demands to range some HM fights. So we stay beyond 20 meters. Which I agree a bit of strange especially for a coercer in mt group. It is not like we don't have ACT or RH to call for aoe to joust. But I usually go in range just to avoid stress and being called on it :)

And I like to dps. At least try my best to always contribute to rw dps either in melee or ranged fights.

EDIT: btw Sever Hate supposed not to be resisted anymore according to the last patch.
  20. Davngr Well-Known Member

actually what ucala is telling you is what you should not do OP unless you have amazing gear and support classes.

too many high end scrubs get their gear and forget what playing the class actually calls for.

1st. you keep your groups mana as full as possible and then look to help other groups is needed.
    2nd. you throw out your crowd control abilities when ever it might do some good, unless the mob is immune or the tank is moving it around you're simply just STUPID not to stun the mob and i mean REALLY STUPID.
    3rd. get as much damage as you can and melee when you're able to survive and keep in mind that your 600k dps really aren't worth the wards you're eating up in tough encounters that tend to kill tanks.