Coercer Stats Direction

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Conscript, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Regolas Well-Known Member

I meant soft caps of dps stats, dps mod, MA, Attack Speed, etc. I can get to them in potency gear by reforging. So was wondering what the difference is between all those potency pieces vs all those WDB pieces, as melee stats will be similar.
  2. Kraeref Well-Known Member

you won't get to soft caps self buffed if you won't mix dps and ability gear and reforge stats around. Or get equiped in new fable damage gear with no sta. Ideally spells and abilities hit harder if you have pot = cb but with new jewelry and a spellbind spell from dragon tree any coercer can afford have cb > pot. If you raid you don't really have to maintain all soft caps. You will get them way over when buffed.
  3. Regolas Well-Known Member

For example:

Shockwave 3862 base max hit. Call it 4k for easy numbers.

500 pot = 6 times harder = 24k.

10k AB mod = 34k

CB at 500 = 6 times = 34 x 6 = 204k hit

(this is my vague understanding of mechanics and is of course simplifed and missing other muktipliers)

350 pot with same sums is 162k hit.

That means the added potency (150) increased the spell size by 20% roughly.

If the WDB from loosing all the potency from the gear is > 20%, then we have a winner.

Edit - CB, Pot and AB mod numbers picked are from my coercer and someone in WDB gear (for the lower pot)
  4. Regolas Well-Known Member

Apart from AE auto and flurry, I'm on soft caps in potency gear and I haven't even adorned him right yet. Just from reforging.
  5. Ucala Well-Known Member

you can max all your stats in normal gear, I have all mine in normal just cb/pot/casting speed gear, quite easy to do.
    minus AE auto, but you can get it pretty high, I am sitting at like 78% atm, and it's gonna go up by 20ish once they give us that extra 10 AA
  6. Kraeref Well-Known Member

So why to ask then about gear? If you play coercer often you would know why coercers go for dps pieces along with ability ones. There is no other way to get wdb and swb up which increase weapons damage than from gear and two charms.
  7. Ucala Well-Known Member

him asking about gear wasn't about maxing stats. probably a reason
  8. Regolas Well-Known Member

I'm asking for cold hard data on why WDB gear is better, because it confuses me as a caster. It's easy for wizards, etc, you know pot/ab mod is the way to go.

With melee mages, it's confusing. I haven't played my coercer enough to make the judgement myself, so I'm asking more experienced people. I have got some good info, but still not got a complete answer, only the benefits of WDB. Looks like I may have to do the legwork myself and parse the two sets.
  9. Kraeref Well-Known Member

Nothing to be confused about. Wdb and swb increase your weapons damage which means your autoattack will hit harder. And again chanters don't need to be only melee mages any more. Spell weapons autoattack gives the same damage output as melee autoattack. Advantage is you don't need to time it.

Casting mages who doesn't take advantage of ranged autoattack lose at least 200k additional dps.
  10. Regolas Well-Known Member

So is that 200k from SWDB or all dps from spell weapon attack?

If, for example, a Coercer does 1m dps and 20% is from spell weapon (or melee), then the SWDB of 40 is only giving 40% of 20% of their damage (ie 8% increase). If sacrificing the WDB for 150 pot gives them a bigger overall dps increase than 8%, then surely picking the potency gear is bettet?
  11. Kraeref Well-Known Member

It's the damage of your autoattack with the weapon either melee or ranged (focus). Use the training dummy and just autoattack and check ACT how much your dps just to let your autoattack to go off and then without. Test your equipment sets. And if you see your potency gear gives you better parse then it's your choice. Mine was a mix.

The difference b/w my cb and pot 50% without EV and no difference with EV on and it is when I am just idle. It increases when you get your group buffs and when procs start going off. There are few war runes to get you potency up along with new crafted temporary adornment and purple runes. Thus there is never such a big difference b/w potency and cb of any chanter. Additional wdb or swdb if you use wand gives more damage output overall.

But again it's up to you how you want to play your chanter.
  12. Azian Well-Known Member

/Illusionist sneaks in on coercer discussion.

So, maybe I'm misunderstanding something. (Very possible.) Most of the players I've seen of either chanter type who are wearing wdb/swdb gear are wearing the no stamina pieces which ALSO have pot/cb. The last portion of this thread has definitely been revolving around either/or. If I had to pick just one, I'd go pot/cb on my Illy but I'm keeping eye on the broker for more of the no stamina gear from the fabled zones. Are many people actually wearing the straight wdb/swdb items for their chanters?
  13. Ucala Well-Known Member

as far as raiding goes, there is quite a few people that gear the wdb (sta) gear on their -coercers-, almost never see illies doing the same. probably because well, illies have stronger spells so pot is more important, and in a normal raid setup illies will gain more pot anyway then a coercer would.
  14. Kraeref Well-Known Member

I would go with dps/pot gear as well. But the issue is sparkling gems to gem it close to non existant and I didn't run fabled zones often enough to get gear pieces. Waste of time with no sparkling gems. There are few scounts in our guild that have such gear in their inventory bags but they are short on gems to trully wear it.
    So my option is right now to mix and get as much pot from other sources like cloak, runes including war runes and spellbind. Illusionists benefit more as caster mages though they can easy use ranged autoattack too considering we share enchanter tree with all aa perks.

EDIT: I probably could gem gear with two mutagenous gems from labs to overcharge it, but then we have to go there at least twice.
    All in all I am happy with my choice with 48% wdb/swdb 650 dps without ev 520 cb/ 470 pot. So I am good. Even better with ev on.
  15. Regolas Well-Known Member

I don't have a WDB set yet but will test when I do.

The reason I picked the 150 pot difference is because I personally have around 500cb/pot and then I looked at a raiding Coercer in WDB gear and saw they had about 350.

Now all my alts have generally got all the pieces I want, I can get alternative sets to trial.

Will let everyone know when I do. Like I said before I've not played my Coercer much so only now starting to research it and determine casting orders and optimum gear setups.
  16. Bigsx New Member

Personally, I never wore the WDB no Potency set and wouldn't recommend it. Loss in Spell damage, lower caps on AB mod along with lower PoM ticks for your whole group, is not worth it.

If you want WDB, wear the no-stamina gear until you reach content you can't survive. The neck with 40 WDB is nice too.

As for stats:
    77% Cast Speed, 85% Reuse, 53% Recovery (capped with temp adorn + bard).

600 DPS mod, 100% ae auto, 200 haste, 200 MA.

~15k Ability mod (with around 500% potency), 10-15% Accuracy.

Once you have those stats, more Haste/DPS mod:
    300-350 Haste, 800+ DPS mod
  17. Jokirr Member

I'll chime into this topic cause I miss Ucala :D
    Coercer going melee is the best for min/maxing dmg (you need to be 10m for SW so it only makes since to melee).
    Now where the argument on which is better comes in is simply, if melee is not pulling a fair amount over wand spec, then melee is simply not worth running. It needs to pull more dmg for the spec to justify running, cause you put more effort into playing it (timing autos etc).

And with this lower caps on AB talk, its to my knowledge the coercer reactives pull only 1/3 of the current AB amount, meaning 3k mod only throws 1k at the reactives, etc. So having lower Pot would in some ways help as with 15k AB and lower pot, ur closer to capping the spell, and thus makes CB stronger.

All in all, this whole discussion is a playstyle matter, both have pros and cons, pick whichever spec is giving u the best dmg.
  18. Bigsx New Member

Really? (honest question, not trolling).

Also I think Melee would put out more Damage than Ranged auto attack, even if you are terrible at timing autos. Though you'd proc less, so I dunno. But if you're trying to get your DPS as high as you can, you should get better at timing Auto's rather than taking the easy way out and using Ranged.
  19. Jokirr Member

For the longest time this is how and still understand it, yes.
  20. lumi New Member

lol who else as a bag full of mystical gear just wasting away in there bags cause its crap compard to no sta gear .. already got a hp potency set all gemmed up which is good enough as a hp set and a no sta gear set for dps.....wtb RAID armour that does not penalise coercers dps .. also melee ftw .. and tbh its about time we heard from a dev on this matter imho its like coercers are bein left behind and forgotten about that's why we hardly ever see any coercers about .. its just stupid that the no sta gear is the best for coercers for dps but nerfs our hp's beyond stupid compared to all other classes