Coercer dps?

Discussion in 'Mages' started by Dractuz, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Dractuz New Member

Its been awhile since i have played. Used to love raiding with my coercer. I dont remember melee dps being the crucial part to my own dps. Is it true to be doing great dps as a coercer now you absolutely have to melee? Why is it even considered a mage class at all then? Im really wanting to just play a ranged class that is needed in raids. Would I be totally gimping myself by not running up to the mob and wacking on it with a big stick?
  2. Kraeref Well-Known Member

It's up to you. Nobody really demands melee speccs from coercer. But my melee autoattack gives me aditional 100k dps to all outgoing damage. On names in HE EM raid i can sustain over 400k sometimes up to 500k. It's all depends on group and raid set up and if i am within 10 meters range.

If you feel that you can dps high without melee spec go for it. It's your decision and what you are most comfortable with.
  3. Dractuz New Member

Okay, that sounds great then, always liked the idea behind the coercer, just hated the idea of being hybrid melee. Thank you for taking the time to answer.
  4. Errrorr An Actual EQ2 Player

With the influx of melee stats etc, Coercers have basically become a melee class yes.
    Reasons:
    a) You can gain a load of Melee stats (600 MA, 200 dps/haste etc) with minimal effort
    b) You will generally always be in a tank group with a shaman, so you can survive AE's and melee
    c) You'll be based around a melee group, and as such gain more buffs/benefits to your melee rather than your spells.

If you want to be a chanter and melee, be a Coercer, if you want to be a chanter and stand at a distance whole time, be an illusionist.
  5. Snowhaze Active Member

Yeah I found this more than a little strange when trying to grasp a mage using melee, but the beat down stick really does a lot of damage and well worth using and timing your auto-attacks.
  6. Kalderon Well-Known Member

Our coercerer do around 500-800k dps, if he can stand up close to the mob. I for my self, still feel not that comftable using melee as a normal caster class ^^
  7. Dractuz New Member

so how much of a dps loss do you see compared to him?