Coercer DPS Help in PoM

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by Alarra, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Alarra Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,
    I have been playing coercer for a long time, howevere, this expac my dps seems to be very very low.
    I am struggling to beat the healer on the parse hehe.
    When I get home I will put up a couple of parses to give you an idea. Think around 600-900 mill. goes higher when I get lucky, but that is like once or twice a zone and is not with the norm.
    When eq2wire comes up from its DDoS I will also put a link. (DDoS'ing so-and-so's deserve a good kick in some sensitive area)

Character: Alarra
    Server: Halls of Fate

Spell rotations should be fine as I was usually pretty high in the parse last expac.

What I have been told is to increase the doublecast to 160% for heroics, so will look into doing that. Current potency as of this writing is 58k. Resolve is 567. CB is at cap, DC is 113%, AB Mod 1.2 million or so.
  2. Alarra Well-Known Member

Looks like I was overestimating my dps, it is actually around 300-400 million. While everyone else that I group with is around 1.4 billion to 1.6 billion.
  3. Alarra Well-Known Member

4. Alarra Well-Known Member

I did a little bit of reforging tonight, but an definitely up for suggestions on how to improve
  5. Steelviper Active Member

Are you starting your rotation by casting Ascension spells (preferably DoT ones first, then single-hit hardest / AoEs) first? Also after that probably best to continue the rotation with the 2-3 mitigation debuffing spells which Coercer has, so mobs take more damage. Try to concentrate on your damage spells mostly, rather than damage-on-hit for the group buffs on mobs - those help the group, but your own dps suffers while you put them on. Fire off Peace of Mind each time it's up, that one buffs your and group dps for a short time greatly.
    Eq2u link says you've got 56.6k Potency, although I know it's not always very reliable. Your Fervor also looks good, even higher than me, I'm on 63 Fervor and 58k Potency and blow things mostly off, although as a Necromancer I know my epic 2.0 ancient pet adds a big chunk to that dps. Your Etherealist hard-hitting ascensions are all on Grandmaster, only thing which could be increased is Doublecast, for heroic groups the 131% would be only about 60-70% Doublecast effectively, which is bit low - and damn hard to increase in PoP too. Old purple Doublecast rune gives 6% - https://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/3413703260 - and I'm not aware of an orange alternative for it, which makes new shoulders armor with orange slot look bad.

Edit: looking a bit more, you seem not to have the Proving Grounds orange adorn for the gloves, and neither for the legs slot - both of those increase Potency, Fervor, and Fevor overcap a bit, which isn't little. Dunno which familiar you're using, but your Crit Bonus overcap could be increased more, as well, the increase does quite some effect.

Also, the cyan adorns on your weapons are rather weak, the ones you can buy from the panda Yun Zi in Sundered Frontier, on the spires island, give much more Potency, and free as long as you're on AllAccess and did his quests - https://u.eq2wire.com/item/index/1263541487
    Don't fall for the 0.2 Fervor which the old Undying ones give.
    Alarra likes this.
  6. Mermut Well-Known Member

Ouch... reducing the overall group dps in favor of personal dps... that is horrible advice.. for any class, but especially for utility classes...
    Alarra, Meneltel and Steelviper like this.
  7. Vulnere Active Member

I'm an illy...I'm pretty maxed out except for doublecast. 64k potency.. good fervor. summer ethereal adorns
    which I spent an entire month getting along with real world $$. Most of my ascensions are
    grandmastered. Fully infused. Nearly all gear is 29 resolve or higher.

And I do less dps than you do.

In my guild we have like 3 people who do in the billions of dps and the rest of us struggle
    to do between 1 and 3% of the parse. Sometimes a healer outparses me.

Once in a while, if I time that time clone spell perfectly..I might get 5% of the parse.

But otherwise, it seems that Illy aren't supposed to do DPS.. or Mez things anymore..or
    do really anything but carry around a bucket of "blue" and give it to the good characters.
  8. Mermut Well-Known Member

I definitely wouldn't say that. I do decent dps on my coercer. Sure, I can't compete with the T1 dps, but I never expect that I should, on a utility class, but I easily keep up with or beat the bards and am well ahead of all the healers.. except for the occassional one who has dumped large sums of cash into accession upgrades. And that's even w/o a reliable mimic target. When I can convince my dpser to put 'mimic' in chat before they start their chains, I start beating the T2 dps reliably, but that's not really 'my' dps. ;)

For longer fights, be sure to get your debuffs off first, but then I would suggest that you DO hit your triggers (and DoTs) early to get things started. Coercers do really poorly on short fights, because so much of their dps is from DoTs and triggers. When fighting swarms of mobs, spend most of your time in ranger of your short distance AoEs, but be sure to joust out to 15-19 for good unda hits. On single target fights, stand about 19 for Unda as the other AoEs can't compare to Unda against single targets. Debuff, trigger, DoT, direct damage.... rinse and repeat.
    Alarra likes this.
  9. Vulnere Active Member

Yah, I do all that.

But if I stress about positioning to max out Unda and stuff like that, then I'm less
    prone to notice when someone in another group needs mana.. or to be ready
    to do a time reset.. or to be ready to throw out sever hate and things like that.

So If I get my parse up to say 5% on occasion, then i'm letting my team down,
    as I don't do all the other things that make 10x as much difference.

For example, I've been keeping our best T1 dps alive longer with deagro'ing him,and
    now he will do a billion more dps every major fight, due to not dying every 60 seconds..
    in fact rarely dying at all now.

I think that an illy/coercer that does good dps is failing their group.

Or maybe that's just sour grapes that illy/coercer CAN'T do "good"
    dps.

But I've got to think this way, or i'd just delete her.
    Alarra likes this.
  10. Steelviper Active Member

Well, I wouldn't do that either in a group, but since the thread starter was asking how to increase personal dps, that would be one way. Personally I'm usually one of the few Necros in groups who cures people if healer is a bit struggling, or healing the tank as well if he's getting dangerously low.
    It's true though, Enchanters are generally not as high on dps as other more dps-focused classes. Ironically enough, before ToT and especially Kunark Ascending expac, Necromancers were more on the utility side as well and below T1 dps, while now they got a big boost in overall dps.
    Alarra and Vulnere like this.
  11. Mermut Well-Known Member

For named fights, you shouldn't have to be moving around that much.. just find 18-19 and sit there. Keep Ether Balance up and you can handle all except heavy power drains with that. If you've got etherealists tossing assassin around.. I generally won't use mana flow on just one person on any fight that has a power drain component... it's not good for the group to get the etherealist only up and then leave the group short later because mana flow isn't back yet. If you can get your etherealists to all hit assassin close together, that gives way more bang for your buck with mana flow.
    I'm willing to help out my dps with sever hate (and Mind Control), but I refuse to be their primary source of hate control.. dps needs to take some responsibility for their own hate and not just assume somebody else will do it for them :p

But then I also tell my tanks if they consistently run out of range when I'm healing, they better have something up.. because I can't heal on the run or heal people who are out of range ;) I'm uppity that way :p
    Stifle likes this.
  12. Alarra Well-Known Member

I generally start off with debuffs, then move onto my Ascencions-> bigger spells -> Dots.
    I don't have much time for proving grounds, but I could look into it.
    Will Definitely get the blue adorns done. Thanks for that.

For Doublecast, I found I was hitting some sort of curve with the coversion. Don't know why though.

I also seem to be running in a lot of groups with summoners, so I can't mimic them.

Our SK does about 4 times as much dps than I do in Defensive. Which is demoralizing.

After doing the reforge, I am hitting around 700-800 million.

With PL and the tank's DPS, never really had to worry about doing much more than a shout snap for hate.

In general, I keep the groups power up pretty well, I even help the Ether Assassin people out.
    Manaflow isn't all our power tools. Mind Control, Cannibalise thoughts, Mana Cloak, Mana Soul are good to use as well.
  13. Alarra Well-Known Member

So still have a way to go yet I guess. I will re-read what you guys wrote and see if I can sort out some better dps.
    Will have another look at the AA spec tonight if I get time as well.
    I re-did my prestige to enable both Mind control and Ether Balance as well as the CB and Pot Boosts.
    Mermut likes this.
  14. Alarra Well-Known Member

As a Coercer, we get a spell called Enraging Demeanor which transfers around 23%(With Shadows AA) (And adds 23% hate gain as well) of our hate to the target. So if we do decent dps we transfer more hate to the tank. So the more dps we do, the less hate management we have to do for other group members.
    Mermut likes this.
  15. Vulnere Active Member

When I played back 8 years ago, the purpose of the game was to have fun.. you could do just fine with one healer.. and you didn't have to run ACT to go to the store for bread. There weren't 30 different stats to tune.. different characters had strong and valuable roles.. everything wasn't all mushed together, where even healers/support are supposed to be T2 DPS if they can.

*yuck*
    Meneltel likes this.
  16. Meneltel Well-Known Member

And SKs would be accepted as impromptu AOE DPS if needed... so I was told. I still am, but only with my guild or friends, if the check would stop bouncing :eek:
  17. Fleurs Active Member

Haven't read every post here, put 1200 casting speed improve doublecast by 37.5%. And 20% of your own DPS is transfered to your pet, so if you want to improve pet autoattack damage to max, get your own DPS to 3000.
    And a ACT trigger on celestial gate help a lot to time your best hitting ascension spell while you are under it's fervor effect.
  18. Mermut Well-Known Member

The coercer pet is only useful when the temp buff is up. It's not worth putting 3k into dps for the pet. Ability mod will give far more bang for the buck.
  19. Rubick Well-Known Member

Something about this is not right. While they are not a borderline T1 dps anymore, illusionists can definitely hold their own. Our illusionists parsing around 1b dps at that gear level. Coercers, I'm afraid to say, just seem to be awful dps right now OP.
  20. Mermut Well-Known Member

Coercers have a hard time keeping up with illies right now... at least illies with their class adorns, but they're not that awful.