COE Heroic - Spirit Drop Rates

Discussion in 'Zones and Populations' started by Eileithia, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Eileithia Active Member

I seem to recall a couple patches ago where they toned down the rate of Obol drops in open world zones, and increased the drop rate of Obols in heroic zones.. however I think this has had another negative effect.

Over the past 2 nights we have run Dreadcutter, Throne of Fear, Temple of the Faceless, and Chelsith back to back to try and help gear up some of our newer 95s. Over the course of these 8 runs (32ish named) we only had 1 Greater spirit drop, and no final boss spirits for Jewelry. We did however collect around 40 obols.

Also, the itemization needs some serious work. The legendary trash is dropping at a ridiculous rate, and it's all jewelry. (maybe 2 items that weren't 160-163 rings/bracelets)

Was this just a highly unlucky set of runs? I remember previously we were getting at a minimum 1 greater spirit per zone, with a much lower obol rate, and sometimes 2 spirits. The final boss drop-rate I get, it's only 8 runs, but the greater spirits just seem low in comparison. Are Obols dropping instead of Spirits now?

If it was crap luck, that's cool. RNG will be RNG, but wanted to be sure this wasn't the new norm.
  2. Eileithia Active Member

OK, responding to my own post. Something must have changed since the patch. We ran our regular group of 6 through just under 15 instances over the course of 3 days and didn't see a SINGLE spirit drop. We're now sitting on an averatge of 40-50 obols a each that none of us can use for anything but yellow adorns.

We did luck out and have Fitzpizzle's hover platform drop in HE which sold for 1.1K but the serious lack of spirits is getting borderline insane. In half of those instances, we got only Obols off the named, and only legendary off the final named (no Obol or spirit) 3 runs in a row were only obols off the named (none on trash) and no spirit off the final.

Were spirits made exceedingly rare since they've been moved as a guaranteed drop to raid mobs? Anyone else seeing this trend?
  3. Geothe Active Member

Actually, I've seen the opposite. I've seen a ton of Spirits since the patch.
    So... blame that RNG.
  4. Foretold Well-Known Member

I ran tons of heroics for greater spirits. I think I've seen 5 drop since COE went live, and two were before they dropped for the group, and I didn't win either of those.

I am obviously in that group that the RNG is solidly reaming.

Since the patch, I've gotten more spirits in 3 nights of raiding than I have running heroics for months. I'm done running heroics because the spirits are just not dropping, for me anyway.
  5. Eileithia Active Member

They really need to figure out a way to get rid of the streakyness (yes I know that's a made up word) of drops. I could understand running 1-2 zones and not seeing a drop but 15. That's 60 named mobs (Average of 4 per zone). SOE's RNG has always been horrible, but this is just stupid.
  6. Plavem Active Member

Honestly they need to give all bosses a chance, and end bosses a guaranteed drop much like raids.

You can get 3 essences a night fairly quickly raiding. 6 a week just raiding not to mention the times 2 and x4 raid zones. making it like 8 a week.

The only reason you could possible argue for not doing that is people getting geared up to fast, but with the little to no effort you have to put into raiding this expansion, it wouldn't hurt anything.
  7. Eileithia Active Member

Agreed - There's no reason why they can't guarantee at least a Greater spirit on the last named of the zone with a chance for that bosses rare. Last week, I've seen one greater spirit. Two weeks prior we had one run of Dreadcutter of all zones that dropped 3 spirits in a row, with a rare off the Tempest, then nothing on any of the other zones.

The Greater spirits are for main slot and weapons only. If you get lucky on the drops you're already getting completely outfitted on those in a week or less, so guaranteeing the drop on 1 named wouldn't really speed up the process.
  8. Plavem Active Member

I love the whole concept behind the whole obol gear. Its easy to get but takes some effort, but gets your right where you need to be for entry lvl raiding.

Honestly if this system had been done differently as a whole I think it would have been more in line with other games, even previous expansions.

Personally I like the idea of a daily quest which would reward you some form of currency.
  9. Mohee Active Member

I prefer the idea that new heroic zones should drop gear that prepares you for entry level raiding.

What a crazy concept though... radical...
  10. Daalilama Well-Known Member

Why do you insist on bringing logic and common sense to this thread...the nerve...
    /sarcasim off
  11. Mohee Active Member

Forgive me Dallilama :confused:
    For I know not what I say.
  12. Wanyen Active Member

No dailies! When I have time to play, I play. Don't schedule and limit me to and for an hour a day every day.
  13. Neiloch Well-Known Member

I hate dailies. Easily in the 'top 5' things I hate about a lot of other MMO's. Partly because the devs balance the rewards assuming people will run them EVERY SINGLE DAY. So boring. I might be more open to the idea if the ability to do dailies 'rolled over.' So if I don't do dailies for 2 weeks I can log on and do 14 dailies in a day.

They need to work on their RNG so it has a 'curve' of drop chance to match the drop rate. If something it supposed to drop 10% or 1 in 10 chance, I should be able to kill 10 things that can drop it and be GUARANTEED at least one drop in those 10. Where 'bad luck' is having it not drop 9 times in a row and definitely dropping on the 10th. If you are in a group/raid it averages out the chance then syncs up that group once it drops.
  14. Hoosierdaddy Active Member

A mechanic like this may actually already exist. In the old forums, a developer once brought up the subject of "Rate of Entry" (or RoE) and how it affects loot drop rate from the character all the way to the global level.

A bunch of people were noticing that some people had unusually better luck and got better drops from zones than they did over the course of time. A developer chimed in and said that it could be that the one who was seeing better loot was running the zone less and therefore would have a better chance at loot. Some have specifically asked about RoE since then and mum is the word on the formulas in place.

Remember something: Adventure vitality was not something originally disclosed to players.

A few months into the game, however, people were noticing different gains in experience from one another. For example, two people starting at the same exp level would gain significantly different amounts in one dungeon run, which seems obvious now but was not explained at the time. Developers finally had to admit to a system being in place to help compensate players who could not log in as often and eventually even added a vitality indicator.

As an example of such a mechanic in the way of loot distribution, Dungeons & Dragons Online has diminishing returns on running the same dungeon. The exact amount is shown to the player when clicking on the door of the dungeon they intend to enter. For example, it will say "Your chance at loot is very good/normal/below average," until eventually you would get nothing. Can't remember the refresh in DDO on zones, but they would eventually reset if not entered within a given amount of time.
  15. knine Well-Known Member

Run contested more often.. honestly.. look and see how many people are in there.. i usually get a spirit off every named..i currently have 90 spirits and 394 obols lol.. and that is after gearing 2 alts with drinal gear as well.. it is very much RNG and you're just unlucky so far...I did run 3 instances last night and only got one.. but other nights I will see 5-6.. /shrug..
  16. Hammdaddy Active Member

I've gotten over 27 spirits and 200 obols in ST contested in the matter of 3 days.
  17. slippery Well-Known Member

People always try to associate the comment you are reffering to with the mechanic you think it implies. You are wrong. That statement was in reference to things like contested mobs have better loot because the quantity of loot that enters the game is limited. Where as in an instance the only limit to the quantity of loot is the number of people who run it, thereby making the loot far more common.
  18. Plavem Active Member

Your reasons for not wanting dailies is not a very good argument. Specially when I said that they should still allow them to drop in zones, with the current drop rate.

Why is it so many people want sony to cater to their specific play times. Its laughable your sense of entitlement. Like I have said before so many times. You are paying monthly to have access to the content, which you do... it is your choice if you choose to invest the time into the game or not.

People log on daily to do BG quests, and you view this ok, but put in dailies for pve and you are like woah. PVE dailies would boost the amount of people who log on daily to get them done, some out of habit, some out of need.
  19. Eileithia Active Member

We ran ST Contested for about 2-3 hours on Sunday night, had the place almost to our selves (A couple at the door LFG). Killed 7 named, no spirits. Got about 10 obols. 3 named chests didn't even have an obol in them, just the same junk loot jewelry with a different name. Killed the guy in the hall, named in the center of the first chamber twice, the drakota, the librarian ghost dude, the insane chick, and the named statue in the catacombs (first room). After all that, decided to hit up dreadcutter for something easier. Obols off the first 3 bosses, nothing off the tempest but some legendary gear. Ran Faceless last night (quick run) got 6 obols, and venekor dropped some legendary gear (no obol or spirit).

Nobody in our group has seen a spirit since mid last week and we run nightly.
  20. Hammdaddy Active Member

I don't know, in one run through we got three scout red adorn charms and one mage charm in addition we also got a ethereal belt. Our second run we got two fabled ears and one wrist and the fabled ethereal scout bow. In first run we got six second we got 5 so its honestly just RNG back luck, each named drops one obol so i guess it isn't that bad.