Class Help

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by kehatch, May 18, 2018.

1. kehatch New Member

I am returning from a bit of an absence. I enjoy utility classes with a lot of variety that solo well. I like to be useful in a group, but that isn't essential. I like travel utility, variety in combat, different approaches to situations, etc.

I played the conjurer to 58 a long time ago. I enjoyed it, but I want to try something fresh. I have a Warden at level 40, but I don't love that class. I know Necro is a decent suggestions, but I don't want anything that plays so close to my conjurer.

I am not set on this list, but I was considering the Dirge, Beastlord, Fury, or Ranger. As I understand it the Dirge (or maybe Troubadour) has a lot of group utility, but isn't a great soloer? The BL might be right up my alley, but I heard their mechanic is a little clunky? Fury is another that seems to be a fit, but is it too close to my Warden? I added the Ranger assuming they have some utility (not just damage), but do they? Other suggestions?

I appreciate any help you can give me.
  2. Meneltel Well-Known Member

Ranger does not have much at all to help a group other than damage, my 100 ranger showed me that. No advice on the other classes as I haven't played any of them.
  3. Tajar Well-Known Member

I used to solo just fine on my troubie. A dirge would be good too as you have a couple life taps. Groups love bards, if you decide to get into groups, you won't have much issue finding a group. BL's are quite diverse, not sure what is clunky about them, they're just a little different is all. Fury is fun if you like mass pulling and has some nice buffs for casters. Ranger is pretty much just pure dps.
  4. kehatch New Member

Thanks for the info. I will take Ranger off of the list. My first impression is I like the Fury the best. I like the variety of spells early. But tough to tell early level.
  5. Rhodris EQ2Wire Ninja

I am biased - my main is a Fury. Lots of fun. It is a 'hybrid' class - not the very best healer, nor the very best dps, but still does very well in both roles. Because of the higher dps spells (higher than most priest classes) it is relatively easy to solo. Good utility as well.
    Rosyposy likes this.
  6. kehatch New Member

Thanks Rhodris

I have taken Ranger off the list as it is DPS only. I have also taken BL off the list. I don't like the reaction mechanics, seems a bit gimmicky to me (I hate mechanics like HO for example).

Trying a Dirge right now. My plan is to turn AA to 100% often as I level to complete as much of the content as possible. Looking for a completionist class I guess. Between the Dirge and Fury right now.
    Rhodris and Rosyposy like this.
  7. Determind Active Member

I have most of the available classes in the game at level 100-110 (missing only 7 of them right now) and I can honestly solo on any of them. With a merc to heal you, DPS classes are fun as they kill much quicker, however they don't have much utility at all.

As far as more utility, if you are counting healers, the mystic and defiler are generally lower DPS. I don't have a fury yet but plan to make one soon. Inquisitor has Verdict which is nice for soloing as it can finish off a certain percentage health of a MOB, depending on its strength. Illusionists and coercers, in my experience, are the lowest DPS mages but have more utility and I have had fun playing them.

As far as travelling goes, if you subscribe, you now have access to Fast Travel for free. Its made travelling very easy to most locations if you pay the monthly fee. It doesn't have access to certain areas like Thalumbra, Shattered Seas zones, Obulus Frontier, OP or EJ but does to the latest expansion. Playing these zones is really a personal choice though, as you can level a character to 100 in a day or 2 using the agnostic dungeons if you choose to.

If you don't subscribe, you can do 2/3 of the Shattered Seas Timeline and get the anchor device which allows you to port to the Phantom Sea travel globe and from there you can get to any other travel globe (Moors of Ykesha has globe, wiz spire and druid ring in close proximity). Still a few spots tough to get to if you don't have the expansion travel devices or aren't in a guild with those devices (Thalumbra, Obulus Frontier, OP, EJ and VI).