Class choice ; PvP ; Illusionist vs. Coercer ; Wizard and Warlock

Discussion in 'General Mage Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Faeveroth, Mar 21, 2011.

1. ARCHIVED-Faeveroth Guest

Hello,

after I have spent some hours reading, I still don't know which class to choose.

I have to say that the Enchanters, Illusionist and Coercer, are the most interesting classes to me. In general, I would only play a spell casting class.
    Besides it is also very important, that I am more interested in PvP than PvE (I know that Everquest 2 is not the best choice for that).

(1) Is it correct that both Enchanters are mostly designed for controlling the enemies with their spells (CCs, Stun, ...)?
    (2) Wouldn't this reveal that both Enchanters are a good choice in PvP? How effective are they really in PvP?

Another problem for me is choosing between Illusionist and Coercer.
    (3) So far, I only know two differences between the classes: First of all, that they have different pets (Body double vs Charming) and secondly that an Illusionist seems to be more designed for supporting than a Coercer. Are these two information correct?
    (4) How do the two classes differ in detail? I do not have any information about that yet. Some concrete spell comparisons might be useful as well here.
    (5) Besides, I am wondering which of them is superior in PvP. This might be answered from knowing which of them has more controlling spells. Is there any difference and what else can be said about PvP differences of the two?
    (6) Furthermore: What about their damage? I read conflictive information about this topic. Some say, Illusionists make more damage while other state that Coercers inflict more. What is correct?
    (7) I also read that in general, both classes tend to conflict less damage than other comparatively classes. Is this true? How much do they really differ in damage from other classes (maybe concrete measurings)?

I also thought about the Sorcerers, Wizard and Warlock.
    (8) I wonder whether they are appropriated for PvP. Are they and which of them is better than the other?
    (9) Do they have any controlling spells? How effective are they?
    (10) I heared that Wizards are more designed to make single target damage, while Wizards tend to inflict area of effect damage. Is this true? If yes, how string is the difference really? I mean, for example, does a Warlock really mainly get only area of effect spells?
    (11) How do they differ in other respects?

Thank you very much in advance for answering my numerous questions; I am also glad for any part information.
  2. ARCHIVED-Seidhkona Guest

I can't answer your PVP questions, but in general, try out the various classes and see what you think.
    You have seven character slots at least, and you can have different characters on different servers. You might even want to do your tryout characters on a PVE server so you can experiment safely. And, of course, you can always delete unwanted characters.
    You will find your best info about PVP in the PVP Discussion Forum. Especially, read the posts listed in the Consolidated PVP Discussion Thread.
  3. ARCHIVED-Lethe5683 Guest

Faeveroth wrote:
    1. That is an important function but they are also for buffing groups and regerating power as well as the fact that they can do pretty good DPS.
    2. Yes, enchanters are fairly good in PvP but not anywhere near as good as some of the OP classes which among mages would be wizards and warlocks.
    3. They are really quite similar in supporting ability and spells, there are a few differences but the main difference is that coercers alone can do more damage than Illys since Illys rely on their pet for a good portion of their DPS. Having a pet will help coercers do better DPS too but not by anywhere near as much as Illys.
    4. My Illy is still a very low level so I can't give you much information on that. The only difference I have noticed so far is that the daze spell for Illys is single target rather than coercers which affects the whole encounter. I'm sure there are much more significant details at higher levels however.
    5. In PvP I think they are too close to say that either is better than the other but I haven't played my Illy in PvP yet.
    6. Coercers used to do more but I think there has been a recent changing that made it so Illys can do as much damage (maybe more) than coercers.
    7. Sorcerers probably do about twice the DPS of enchanters on average while summoners are somewhere in between.
    8. They are both very good in PvP (OP actually), out of the two I think warlock is marginally better.
    9. They have a few control spells with very short durations and are not very effective.
    10. It's true but the difference is not very extream, warlocks have plenty of ST spells and wizards have a good amount of AoE spells.
    11. I can't say for certain, I really don't know all too much about warlocks; they are the only non-plate, non-pet class that I have not played yet.
  4. ARCHIVED-Rex Guest

aeveroth wrote:
    Welcome to PvP and eq2. I've played a illusionist on a pvp server for a few years now sso ill try to answer your questions as best I can.
    1. Thats what they're designed for but by tier 9 the effectiveness of these abilities in open PvP is greatly reduced. They can be very powerful abilities if used correctly but they are relatively easy to counter and you must know HOW to use them. Enchanters are a finesse archetype.
    2. You would think so. As I said there are a number of counters on top of that Crowd Control factors are further llimited by the PvP ruleset. PvP and PvE combat take place with different rulesets. With our CC abilities I can be in combat with mobs indefinitely (so long as they are not immune to CC abilities) without them evven being able to attack me. The game mechanics will not allow this for PvP.
    3. Yes and no, with the release of this last xpac illusionists are now on par with (i'd like to think even better than) coercers. TBH though my illusionist went into PvP retirement about 2 months into the previous xpac. Illusionists are the stronger class atm but we'll see how long that lasts. I would say they are at the same level when it comes to support roles.
    4. The biggest difference revolves around our mezzes. Illies can mezz on the run while coercers can mezz while stunned, stifled or mezzed themselves. Other than that there are minor differences in damage spells and difference in power management but nothing hugely significant there. The big differences are in their buffs.
    5. It all depends how well they're played. I would say they are on par with each other in PvP but they are both extremely difficult classes to play in PvP. I would go so far as to say that enchanters are the most difficult classes to play in PvP.
    6. That really isn't known at this time. Illusionists got a huge boost to their damage output with the last expansion but a huge factor in establishing DPS is gear and people are still gathering up new gear and learning the new tweeks.
    7. Yes. They are lower tiered DPS classes designed for more supportive roles. A group with an enchanter is MUCH stronger than a group without an enchanter but in the end they do less damage than other DPS classes.
    8. Locks and wizzies are two of the more over powered PvP classes.
    9. Some and mildly effective
    10. Yes, wizards will do much more damage vs a solo target but warlocks will do much much more damage against groups.