Chromatic Essence only off nameds?

Discussion in 'Tradeskill Discussion' started by ARCHIVED-Nemisiis, Mar 1, 2008.

1. ARCHIVED-Cadori Seraphim Guest

Svetlanavera@Nagafen wrote:
    Crafters piss me off sometimes..

I see all these darn posts about making crafting harder, and making crafting WORTH something, making crafting LEGENDARY OR FABLED.

And you know what people, crafting will NEVER be anything more then what it is now without tying it to adventuring somehow. Plain and simple.
    It's just WAY to easy to get raws and rares in game to be able to put these new powerful items in without tying the two together.
    And as someone pointed out, the really good items are *GASP* adventure items! Wow, imagine that.

Also, the item count has been increased to +100. Might want to research such things before you post a gripe.
  2. ARCHIVED-Wrapye Guest

Freliant wrote:
  3. ARCHIVED-Tokamak Guest

Arani@Crushbone wrote:
    They will have no chance, and they are not supsed to. All of the items are flagged as lore anyway, so you are not missing out on any markets by not having access to the item if you are a low (adv) level crafter.
    All you have to do is to charge a bit for the comission work when it comes along, just like you would when making a mirror.
    I really fail to see what the problem is here, not all content is supposed to be accesible to all people. If you would like access to these powerfull items then I am afraid that some risk (ie killing mobs that wont con grey for a good few months) is always going to be part of the bargin.
  4. ARCHIVED-LFG Guest

Many raiders, including myself as a hardcore raider AND crafter, believe that the chromatic essences should drop exclusively from raid mobs.

I think those who are unhappy about having to get faction to craft these items, or because they drop from higher level mobs you can kill with a group, should count their blessings about this great new addition to crafting rather than complain about it.

Don't look a gift pony in the mouth.
  5. ARCHIVED-Nemisiis Guest

LFG wrote:
    Of course you think that they should be raid drops, you're umm a hard core raider....do you really think most people in this game are hardcore raiders?
    I seriously doubt that any of these items will be used by hard core raiders, with the possible exception of the charm items and the house items. So why would you even think this way? Screw the majority of the player base cause I want? I'm pretty sure this set of recipes was aimed at legendary geared folks. If you want a drop off of hard core nameds, then the item rewards better be a hell of a lot better than what these are. The items that can be made with this essence are of legendary quality at best. You want recipes using raid items, then that's fine. But using a raid component should produce much better results (fabled quality). I see no reason for this particular set of recipes to drop off raid mobs but maybe they will put in a set later aimed at raiders...that would be cool.
  6. ARCHIVED-Rqron Guest

The whole issue is symptomatic of the game since RoK was released and it is my believe it has to do the way someone at SOE has directed the devs to go.

It will be the destruction of this game in the long run if it is not changed.
    It is the catering to ultimate top heavy content to the detriment of lower levels . It will result in a game where everyone is of high age (lvl) and all rewards and game changes are directed toward it..totally forgetting the most important point..and that is ..it is not very common that low level characters are leaving the game because of "game fatigue" but its the higher lvl character that gets to a point where he /she (the player) will take either a break or leave for a different game.
    If there is no or only mediocre mid level content because it /was / is constantly ignored..then there will be not enough new players come up through the ranks to offset the ones leaving and this game will die a slow death...and that is not something that will happen fast or overnight but slow and it will creep in and will get to a point where all the changes in the world will make no more difference.
    Its a crying shame that the developers seem to forget that the future of this game and with it ultimately also they're paycheck is NOT the endgame alone but everything between lvl1-80 ( or whatever lvl the future may bring.)
  7. ARCHIVED-Svetty Guest

Sidori@Crushbone wrote:
    The post you are quoting was made long before anything was mentioned about the item limit being upped to 100, thank you. Pay attention to when posts are made before you start griping at others for comments they have made.
  8. ARCHIVED-Svetty Guest

Gorhauth wrote:
    I do play on a PVP server. That doesn't change anything. Adventurers can still get anything they need to play the game without ever getting anything from a crafter. I never said they would be competitive in PVP if they did that but that does not make the statement any less true.
  9. ARCHIVED-JesDer Guest

Rqron wrote:
    Read this and pt 2
  10. ARCHIVED-Gorhauth Guest

Maroger wrote:
    Two of the items you can craft with that Chromatic Essence is by far the most powerful item in the game for that slot. By a long shot. Almost double the stats of the next highest piece.

You want something that powerful to be achieved solo? Something that makes anything from raids not even worth blinking an eye at?
  11. ARCHIVED-Cadori Seraphim Guest

It sure was, I must have read the date wrong when I glanced at it. My apologies for that then. My other comments, however, stand as posted.
  12. ARCHIVED-Jehannum Guest

Ok, I'll bite. :)
    Crafters can also get anything they need to play the game without ever getting anything from an adventurer. They won't be competitive with crafters who do deal with adventurers for harvests, but that does not make the statement any less true.
    And of course the fact that it's leagues more difficult on a PvP server is immaterial, because we have strict assurances that the game's overall balance categorically will not cater to the PvP crowd. Right? :)
    Edit - Maroger, my 80 trouby/80 provisioner's biggest dilemma is how I'm gonna get my hands on two, because I want to make both for myself ;)
  13. ARCHIVED-greenmantle Guest

Jesdyr@Unrest wrote:
    http://www.nickyee.com/eqt/skinner.html
    "The presence of multi-layered and overlapping goals in the game allow players to pursue multiple rewards concurrently. You need more experience to gain levels so you can kill bigger creatures. Along the way, you need more money to buy better equipment. You may want to develop trade skills, complete quests, travel across Norrath, or camp a rare spawn. Most of the time, you'll be doing several of these at the same time. In fact, the game forces you to"
    If they cater to the mid level you risk becoming content and god forbid you might stop pushing the button, accept your conditioning, get back on the wheel and smile before the black helicopters start landing.
  14. ARCHIVED-LFG Guest

Arani@Crushbone wrote:
    During primetime play hours, there are FAR more players inside raid instances than in crafting instances.

There are a great many more players who identify themselves as raiders than there are players who identify themselves as crafters.

I would never say "screw" either the majority or the minority, but I would say that I am not the minority in this game - you are.
  15. ARCHIVED-Valdaglerion Guest

LFG wrote:
    You know, thats a really good point. I guess if pure crafting was a play style unto itself it would definitely fit into the minority category.

In thinking about it, I cant think of a single person that has a high level crafter that doesnt have at least 1 high level adventurer although I know many raiders and adventurers that dont do crafting at all. Interesting point....
  16. ARCHIVED-Domino Guest

Hey guys, let's not turn this into a crafters vs raiders thread, or a high level vs low level thread, or anything else like that.

The fact is that for most people there is no one single playstyle that entirely encompasses their activities. People who craft, may also adventure; people who raid, may also enjoy low level content; etc. Interestingly, the reason I came to know LFG in the first place was because he was a very active and passionate weaponsmith on the crafting forums, long long before he started his own site. And although I myself obviously enjoy crafting lots and have 4 70+ crafters, I also have 3 70+ adventurers that I enjoy in different ways. So I don't think an Us vs. Them perspective in any area of the game is really representative of what people are doing out there, and doesn't get a productive discussion going anywhere.

The large majority of the Kunark faction recipes do not require the chromatic essence drops. Of the items that DO require the chromatic essence drops, there are only two that are even usable by someone who isn't capable of getting the items him or herself: the vault expander and the house item increase thingie. Requiring a chromatic essence as a component allowed us to make the stats on these items nicer than were justifiable from using the normal mastercrafted rares. Any adventurer who is capable of equipping these items is also capable of finding an instance group and going through an instance to get a chromatic essence. For the two house-related items, both recipes make more than one product, so if you get an adventurer coming to you with an essence wanting one, make a deal to keep the second for yourself. Or charge a sufficient amount for your time so that you'll be able to afford to buy a chromatic essence from the broker yourself. They WILL drop in value, just like those components used in The Nest did.

As for lower level content, these faction rewards were always planned around the new RoK content that is, yes, aimed at high level crafters and adventurers, so yes, they are high level recipes. That doesn't mean there isn't lower level stuff coming, and in fact you should be seeing two more new crafting quests for lower levels coming from the Grandmasters with the next game update, and some new crafter cloaks for level 50-ish crafters also. It's not physically possible to do ALL things for ALL people at once, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen as time permits. :D

In the mean time though I'd like to ask that (a) y'all give it a couple weeks and just see how it goes with the chromatic essences. If there really does look to be an issue, it's definitely something we're open to addressing. And (b) let's lay off the us-vs-them in this thread, it's really not constructive and is probably just going to end up getting people cross at each other till the thread gets locked. It's just us and more us around here!

Thanks! :D
  17. ARCHIVED-Motown Guest

LFG wrote:
    Personally, I wouldn't have a problem with that provided the housing and crafting related items are changed to be group-achievable like now. That's just me, though.
  18. ARCHIVED-Meirril Guest

Just a little update: now that LU43 is live Chromatic Essences seem to be a fairly regular drop. I've herd reports of people getting multiple essences from a single CoA run. I myself went through CoA and a single chromatic essence dropped (from the boss, chest item, legendary quality).
    And apparently enough are going around to make all sorts of things, since I didn't get the discovery on my alchemy necklace (dam!). From what people have been saying, I'm guessing the drop rate is either right on or slightly high. Time will tell.
  19. ARCHIVED-SilkenKidden Guest

Motown wrote:
    Not just you. Me too. I spent the day in Sibilis. The whole day. In two groups. One was a mid 70s level group that got wiped out fairly quickly. What did we expect. Should we consider mid 70s to be high level. Should mid 70 adventurers expect to find the items needed to make a basic house or vault expansion item? No, of course not. That should be reserved for level 80 raiders. They are the only ones who deserve to have such items.
    No worry though. They don't have it either. The MOBS in Sibilis are more scarce than hen's teeth. In 8 hours of playing with two groups we met up with two named MOBS.
    Of course, there were many other players in the zone, all after the same elusive chromatic essence. Guess they got it all. Too bad they didn't put any of it on the market. Ah well, if they had it would have been out of reach for mere mortal high elves anyway.
    Why does SOE put such nice items in the game that no one can have? It is so dang annoying. It is one thing to make something hard to get. It is quite another to make it impossible. Why should I have to roam around Sibilis or some other dungeon where I have no quests for days or weeks on end just to find the scarce rare. The second group I joined was all level 80 except for me at 77. Heck, even if the group had killed an actual named MOB, what are the odds that it would drop the essence. Then, of course, we would each have a 1/6 chance of getting the item.
  20. ARCHIVED-Zehl_Ice-Fire Guest

Just wait it out. People will pay 60p for them the first month, then they will drop off every mob in rok and they'll be 12s and 20 pages of the broker on them in 2 months :p