Chicago area players?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tricks, FAQs, and New Player Discussion' started by ConcealFate, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Tatanka_7th Active Member

Correct! I took my name from when I first started EQ1 (WAY back in the day), and my Wood Elf seemed to me to resemble a plains indian, so I picked Tatanka as an homage to the Dances With Wolves movie (Wolfdancer being the surname, naturally :)

I am on Freeport, but I have a char on Guk also, from launch in 2004, but unplayed since 2005. And I have multiple accounts, so I can always spare a slot and roll another toon on any server.

Tat
    Pouncer likes this.
  2. Pouncer Member

Who get top billing in (you guessed it) Peoria!

In all seriousness though, at this point the where does not matter all that much, it would be the finer details such as class selection, starting out at L1 or rolling up heroics, etc. and the amount of time each of us has to spend in game.

We've tried experiments similar to this many times in other MMOs (although this is the first time that we'd meet each other in person since we're just a town or two away) and what usually ended up happening is:

- Some members would be very inflexible as far as class choice & etc.

- The crew would get divided between those who can play 24/7 and those who were more casual, putting pressure on the "slackers" to hurry and constantly be in catch-up mode (this takes all of the flavor & enjoyment out of the game btw) even with self-imposed level limits.

- Toons rolled on a veteran player's server would inevitably get PL'd or twinked out by said player(s) "main" thereby making a lot of the content a boring, trivial faceroll.

- Creative differences that would grate on me the entire time - the only guild name I ever liked was "We Met On The Forums", the others were ... not my cup of tea, things like "DISCIPLES OF (insert pop culture reference or something "edgy" here) PWNZ U LOLZ"

So I guess what I'm saying is, before we even get around to deciding on a server, we should form a consensus on what our goals are. Do we all want to just do our own thing wherever we may be in the game & just meet up occasionally to "talk shop" or do we want to take advantage of the fact that we're all pretty close to one another and work up to the point where we actually get together and have LAN parties & stuff?

We're OK with either I suppose, but knowing what to expect from the beginning makes things a bit easier on everyone.
  3. Pouncer Member

When we get together for our first meeting I have something Dances With Wolves related to give to you that's pretty cool. :cool:
  4. Pouncer Member

By the way Tatanka, I'm guessing that in EQ1 you played on the 7th Hammer server?

I played for quite a while in a raid guild on 7th (rolled toon in '02) and we may have seen each other around :D
  5. Tatanka_7th Active Member

Nice! (and, yes, I was on 7th). Over the years (stating in 2000), I was in Disciples of Stone (no jokes now, I saw your comment above!), Jesters League of Antonica, Ethereal, Logic of War, Phoenix Ascendent, and Indifferent Lapse. More recently I had rolled my own guild, Inisfree.

As far as the new plan for EQ2, I'm good with whatever. I'll be rolling the Heroics on Freeport, so if we pick a different server, I'll be rolling a level 1 :) Any class is fine, and no worries about shooting ahead, since I would just play this char when we get together. If we pick Freeport, I can just play other chars.

Also, if we pick Freeport, I have my own guild, so you guys are more than welcome to join. It's only level 26 (27?), but it's free :)

Tat
    Pouncer likes this.
  6. Pouncer Member

I started out in Kabald, later rolled into Diligence & spent all of my time with them.

I remember seeing quite a few PA folks around :D

Sounds like we're on the same page.

Scott et. al. - your thoughts? :)

EDIT: Now that I think on it really hard, I *do* remember being a member of Disciples of Stone very briefly when I was first starting out!! I don't think there was any specific reason on why I left aside from wanting to get into raiding.
  7. Tatanka_7th Active Member

Dili! I remember them. We had a dwarf cleric who left to join them, can't remember his name, but he liked to chat in Pirate talk, and he was a total hoot. Kabald also rings a bell. I left Disciples because some co-workers joined Jesters, and asked me to join them. But the leader of Disciples was a really nice guy, always helping people out. And, yeah, PA's most active time was around 2002-2003, so you would have seen us around.
    Pouncer likes this.
  8. Pouncer Member

OMG I remember who you are talking about - I can't remember his name off hand but I remember going with you guys to Crystal Caverns when I first joined up and his RPing was awesome!

What a small world it is! :D

Getting good vibes about this!
  9. Tatanka_7th Active Member

I was just typing a note about how this was going to bug me all day, and then it popped in my head.... Clergian :)
    Pouncer likes this.
  10. Ezheal New Member

Hey guys! South side Chicago here. Portillo's is awesome,love their food. I have 20 plus toons on Butcherblock and just start about a month ago on Antonia Bayle( 4 toons so far). Always thought about meeting local people from EQ2 and/or playing EQ2 together. On AB I'm in the guild Oldschool (required to be 30 years old plus). My main is Ilikeitrough.
  11. Tatanka_7th Active Member

Nice, welcome Ezheal :)

I thought of a similar theme for a guild several times (I'm WAY over the requirement!), and often thought a good name would be "Adult Supervision", or possibly, "Get off my lawn!" :)
    Hawkes likes this.
  12. Pouncer Member

I'll toss in my lot for "Metamucil" or "I've Fallen And I Can't Get Up" :p

Ok, I'm only 40, so I'm not that old, but man some days it feels like it.

There goes my knee again, must be rain coming.
    Hawkes likes this.
  13. Hawkes Member

How bout "Lawn Chair Parking Reserves"

Lockport here. Fairly far from Chicago but used to take the Rock in every day to 440 S. LaSalle working for the Midwest Stock Exchange :) Then some time spent in old Continental Bank.
    Pouncer likes this.
  14. Pouncer Member

So far we've got 3 on 3 on a half court + ref, more if any of our SOs play too.

It would probably be easier to hammer out the details in person at a central location somewhere, my schedule is fairly easy to work around - I'm not a big coffee drinker but what say we meet up at a Starbucks or something and go from there, any objections?
  15. Squeeke Kattoy New Member

*scampers in front of Pouncer and squeeks loudly* eep! eeeep! :p
    Pouncer likes this.
  16. Squeeke Kattoy New Member

"Smile and Nod"
    Pouncer likes this.
  17. Pouncer Member

That is perfect - the very words I live by ;)
    Squeeke Kattoy likes this.
  18. Tatanka_7th Active Member

Well, what's the best way to organize this? I tried to use the "conversation" utility they have here, but it's limited to 6 people, and 8 of us have posted to this thread (though it's not clear if Squeeke Kattoy lives near Chicago, or was just having fun with Pouncer :)

If we're all interested, meeting downtown somewhere might make the most sense, since Metra comes at least kinda close for all of us: Plano, Kenosha, Aurora/Naperville, West Chicago, LaPorte, South Side, and Lockport. And I'm downtown every weekday anyway!

If not everyone is interested, the three of us who've posted the most here are all close, so a spot in Aurora/Naperville might make a lot of sense.

Tat
  19. Pouncer Member

Haha that was my wife messing with me Tatanka. Now I know the misses is watching :eek:

Somewhere within driving distance is no big deal at all for me - but I'm ambivalent about Metra unless everyone here is sincerely interested/serious - taking a train ride just to find I'm the only one who shows up would be a bummer. :(
  20. Ladenian New Member

I'm from Tinley Park. Just coming back to the game after a long absence. I'm on Antonia Bayle.
    Pouncer likes this.