Cheap Shot solo techniques

Discussion in 'Ranger' started by ARCHIVED-blitz, Nov 12, 2004.

1. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Well, I'm sure you've all figured this out, but I ran into someone in game who wasn't able to do it until I told him how, so I thought I'd share the idea.

This method applies for soloing from level 7 till about level 15, which is a small window, but it is a handy trick.

With the Cheap Shot skill your enemy will become stunned until their next hit, used in conjunction with Sneak Attack you can do massive amounts of damage early in a fight. Here's how.

Make sure you have Ambush, Sneak Attack, Cheap Shot, Quick Strike and Sneak loaded.

Initiate the fight by Sneaking and using Ambush, this should be good for 25 - 30 points of damage at level 7 and more as you level up.

As soon as the progress bar for Ambush comes up, press your Quick Strike button. Once the quick strike attack begins (progress bar), hit Cheap Shot, and while the progress bar for Cheap Shot is up, toggle autoattack OFF (using the ` (tilde) key). This is crucial, because, as I mentioned before, the next hit after Cheap Shot lands will wake the mob from its stun.

Now, quickly, strafe around the mob and hit Sneak Attack, which should nail it for 20 or so at level 7 and go up from there. By the time that hits, Quick Strike will have refreshed, and you can hit that again, and continue to hit it in addition to your normail autoattack (which came back on when you hit Sneak Attack) until the mob dies. Unfortunately with the long refresh time on Quick Shot it's almost impossible to do the sneak attack twice in one fight.

With the Ambush, two Quick Strikes and a Sneak Attack you should be able to do 70 - 100 damage, and due to the quickness of these attacks the mob should have, at most, 2 opportunities to hit you while you're (around 10 - 30 hitpoints, max). Anyway, just a tip on how to do a lot of damage quickly without taking a lot, hope this helps some lower level people.
  2. ARCHIVED-Cexia Guest

Your missing about 70damage a shot from HO's in that run down.
  3. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

haha. That's because I wrote that at 7am, and my brain doesn't actually start working until about 8. pm.
  4. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Shadowblade does far more damage than ambush, I haven't even used ambush since I Got Shadowblade at level 10...
  5. ARCHIVED-blitz Guest

Hmm...I guess I got shadow blade? I don't remember getting that, I'll have to check it out ;)
  6. ARCHIVED-Musen Guest

Allthough Shadow Blade is nice. you won't be able to do it in mid fight solo. You can do this with ambush. After you have the aggro, say after a shadow blade from behind. Cheap shot + attack off. then Stalk and ambush. adds up some nice damage. I'm currently soloing orange mobs at level 16 with this "chain": Sneak, Shadowblade, Impale, Bleed, Cheap Shot, Stalk, Ambush, Lucky Break, Pierce, Quick strike. Then when Lucky break is up again I do a quick strike Impale since it's up again. and after than you usually just need to hit pierce and quickstrike and the mob is dead. and you shoulnd't be :D Anybody know any other good solo HO's? Please share.
  7. ARCHIVED-Akin Guest

Wow. Great Info guys. I kept wondering how to use cheap shot effectively. Thanks a bunch.
  8. ARCHIVED-Kagara Guest

Once you get backshot, you can use Cheapshot + Backshot duringa solo fight.

Turn off attack, cheapshot, jump over the mob and run a bit and then hit backshot, and you will do some awesome damage mid fight.
  9. ARCHIVED-redsunsd1 Guest

OMG never thought i'd use backshot in a solo encounter.

good idea, i'll try it out ;)
  10. ARCHIVED-Madeeb Guest

Yeah and when Back shot hits them click open shot for another 2 arrows in their chest before it makes it back to ya. This is a sweet method :)

Group wise though my favorite skill of all time is Shroud attack its almost insta refresh allowing for all the good sneak specials for amazing damage. I would say used correctly we are the best DPS wise in a group. Could be wrong though since I haven't really number crunched, but I do know for a fact Im ranked really high server wide in most damage hit melee with a crappy beginning quest dagger heh. Prolly only bested by those 8-9 levels higher than me :p

Verikor
    20th Ranger
  11. ARCHIVED-Madeeb Guest

Yeah and when Back shot hits them click open shot for another 2 arrows in their chest before it makes it back to ya. This is a sweet method :)

Group wise though my favorite skill of all time is Shroud attack its almost insta refresh allowing for all the good sneak specials for amazing damage. I would say used correctly we are the best DPS wise in a group. Could be wrong though since I haven't really number crunched, but I do know for a fact Im ranked really high server wide in most damage hit melee with a crappy beginning quest dagger heh. Prolly only bested by those 8-9 levels higher than me :p

Verikor
    20th Ranger -
  12. ARCHIVED-Madeeb Guest

Verikor
    20th Ranger - Guk
    Kerran
  13. ARCHIVED-NightFalcon Guest

Although I like what your saying, do you think it was worth 3 posts?:smileytongue:
  14. ARCHIVED-TuinalOfTheNexus Guest

Yes, you can.

Hit cheap shot, switch off attack, then hit stalk as you move behind. Stalk only takes 1.0s to put you in stealth, then you can shadow blade from behind.

Takes a little practice, and you can't have a DoT on the mob, but it's incredibly effective if you get a swindler's luck HA - the cheap shot usually switches in to ringing blow then the shadow blade triggers it.