Charm Animal

Discussion in 'Warden' started by ARCHIVED-Elfson, Sep 28, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-Elfson Guest

Could you guys give your thoughts on it?
  2. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

Its a handy tool for solo , and harvesting. It can be more hassel than its worth if you dont make it atleast rank 6. If you want to get some serious use out of it by charming yellow/orange ^^^ then make it rank 10 and also boost your subjagation as much as you can. The calm animals/mez is handy if they break while in combat. but you can also just root. If you want your pet to tank mostly , put those 3 single target buffs you have on it. Thorns/instinct lvl26/ spores lvl35.
    There is almost no use for it group wise ... except maybe for pulling long distance , and if you have infusion and find your self in an oddball group of pet classes , you can proc dmg with group beneficials for each group member and their pets of this type. (pets with a control bar)
    Anyways beyond what I stated here , Its not much more than a nice side effect if your going down that line for wild regen or tortise shell. And if you can spare 4-6 extra points to boost it. By the way subjagation helps your roots and snare land better too , except the group root(lvl 40ish) wich uses ordination.
  3. ARCHIVED-Yure Guest

Useful for solo thru ROK mid 60s to upper 70s.
    There are a number of berseker type mobs that can be charmed. Look for the buff that proc attackspeed and DPS.
    Note charmed creatures still have the armor of normal mobs so they have to be healed a good bit more then a player.
    ROK mobs with berseker types (that I can remember)
    Drovarg -- KP
    Yeti -- KP
    Tigers -- Fens, KJ, JW
  4. ARCHIVED-Oakum Guest

It can be useful for charm/killing your way through Karnors Castle also. Charm a mob, cast root the other if its a two group encounter and send the pet to kill it. Maintain the root on any mob/s that have aggro'ed until you get to them.
    The pet gets killed and then you charm the one it was attacking (which should be rooted).
    I did this a lot before SF came out to get the shiny's I needed to finish the TSO collection but also the highest deaths on the server or maybe it was only 3rd highest from it. It takes a lot of getting to know the zone, skill, and practice as well as some paying close attention to whats around you and watching out for respawns.
    It can be a lot of fun though when you have like 5 mobs rooted (due to messing up pulling, lol) and you pull it off where you kill them all in the end.
    The bad side of charm killing is that you get no XP but you will get a chest if the RNG decides to drop one for the mob.
    I did use it for leveling 70 to 80 in RoK but once you hit the skyfire side of JW, there is nothing there to charm. I would say for most content it is just a flavor item since they never gave druids real pets like they did in EQ1, this was a substitute of sort.
  5. ARCHIVED-StaticLex Guest

Elfson wrote:
    It's basically worthless.
  6. ARCHIVED-Xaomen Guest

Its a pos tbh.
  7. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

Oakum states the key to this ability (Karnores castle) ..... drovlargs are charmable ... charm that ^^^ ... make em fight each other .... charm the winner.
    It kinda rubs me the wrong way , cuz i promise my charms life. But my alt class is a coercer .... this works just like it.
  8. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

wait ... dont charm the winner .... kill em , cuz they are almost dead.
    Then charm the next mob you run into.
    Thats how I learned to roll as a coercer.
    Dont let people tell you that this spec is only viable through ROK.
    It is Viable as soon as you have the points to put 6+ into charm. The higher you go the more yellow/orange you can pick your pets.
    Any coercer , or pet type class would luv to play the druid at this point for the ability. It is druid , the warden is not specific .... fury too.
    What goes well with the pet charm class is the infusion spec (dmg while heal/group heal) And mele spec if you have enough
    when picking infusion , dont increase heals ... cuz that would make you click heals less .... more clicks , more dmg
  9. ARCHIVED-Xaomen Guest

Finding a good animal based creature to charm thats worth a damn is what makes it mostly useless. Not to mention it requires 3 concentration slots so you will have to lose buffs to cast it.
  10. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

Xillean@Nagafen wrote:
    This is true .... you do have to give up 2 group buffs so you can charm ,,, keep the one for physical mitigation. The other 2 arent that hot exept when thinking for a full group to buff ... hence "pet charm is not worth it for group" It is just a nice side thing to do when solo. Im still workin on it ... but I think its a good thing for pvp. if you get the right pet.
    A good way to test pets is look at the debuffs they put on you .... take the time to click and read them ... dont worry you wont die. A Pet will never be as pwr ful as the dmg you can deliver , so keep that in mind.
    they are tools to be used , and in pvp the right pet can go along way.
    In Pve I guess its all about stats for a tank pet. You will never have as good a pet as a conjurer
  11. ARCHIVED-AziBam Guest

My view on it is that it sucks to have to waste 8 points to get to wild regeneration. Even worse, you have to waste 12 points to get tortoise shell. I have quite a stable of alts and they all have a smattering of crappy AAs you are forced to take from time to time to get what you really want. However, being forced to fill TWO slots worth to get to the later skills is really annoying. I rank charm animal as worthless.
  12. ARCHIVED-gatrm Guest

Oakum was correct in saying that it was useful for farming shinies in KC. But it's ONLY useful for farming shinies in KC.
    You will lose dps if you try to use the charm ability doing the solo quest lines, especially since you now get dps from wisdom and one of the buffs you are likely dropping to be able to charm is a wisdom buff. The only reason to put points in charm is so you can get wild regeneration and the aoe block.
  13. ARCHIVED-NolaDragon Guest

Ill agree that charm animal is worthless if you only put 4 pts in it. The mez on the other hand is darn near worthless period. unless you end up having spent near 20 pts between the 2. Inwich case why didnt you just roll a pet/charm class. They should look into getting rid of the mez or have it incorperated with the charm. That way if you want nothing to do with pet charming you only have to waste 4 pts. But then that asks the question of what would you put in its place?
    I was in Cazic thule the other night with a group of 3. I am 35 and was charming lvl 40-42 ^^^ spiders with 10 pts in charm animal. I also have some +subj. They were fairly stable pets and saved me a few times when I got agro (keep them on defend me mode) Plus I was getting 1 more proc from group beneficials through my Infusion. Had I been mele spec'd for dmg and using it, I probably would have ended up dead alot more. So atleast this way I was able to do some dmg and do my healing job.
    When I get a few more AA , I am going to spec into mele dmg while keeping infusion though. Hopefully then Ill be able to kill someone in pvp.
    Just saying it isnt totally worthless , unless of course you never use it.
  14. ARCHIVED-Generic123 Guest

it's handy for leveling the first time but one you hit 80 the pet will be so little help it's not worth the effort