Channeler Advice

Discussion in 'Priests' started by TinyRatongaofDoom, Oct 11, 2019.

1. TinyRatongaofDoom Beau Wintertail the Ratonga

Sooo, I recently made a Channeler and.. so far I am enjoying it, got that character to level 75, I just worry that I may be missing something. I know I am missing some essences but I dunno what else.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone likes this.
  2. Ravenlook Member

Ok so i'll give it a try.

1st off a link to a forum post (it is an oldie but still valid) "Channeler - Easy Customization at low level", this way u can make sure u have all the essences. about them, on the char window; construct tab at the bottom u have 4 options: in my opinion 2 are mandatory, 1st on the left reptile ess and 1st on the right dire ess. the other 2 are optional although for the 2nd on the left i recomand the feline ess.

Now about u missing something i don't really have anyway to respond to that since i have no idea what u think u are missing. i can however point u this this old post Hello, I'm a Channeler and I ...... it was writen way bk some time after the class was introduced and the info in it is still valid and useful (at least i think it is) i used it bk then and it taught me a lot. and finally u can always use the search option on this form for Chann related post, there is quite a lot of info around here.

Hope this helps
    Dude likes this.
  3. Treiko Active Member

At such a low level, the only thing you are missing is levels. Channelers do not really come into their own until end game, as that is what they were initially designed for and around. To be honest, I think the only reason I was able to endure leveling one was because I do so enjoy the mechanic and the vastly different style of play compared to the other healers. I wouldn't worry about what you might be missing until you are max level and max AAs. Just bask in the fact that you are playing one of the most intriguing healers in the game, and learn everything about it as you level up. Once you hit all that and you still think you are missing something, post a link to your character and give us a little more detail as to what you think it might be in terms of your playing experience.
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Dude like this.
  4. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Okay, I've got a question: how do I customize my caster pet? I've tried, I've found things that I could "copy/steal" to augment my pet, and keep getting told I can't. What's up with that? :-/

Plus, it seems to me that the only way my pet's effective at less than end game is by me torturing it, then repairing it...eventually. On top of all that, wearing Druid armor (worse tissue paper than the Inquisitors/Templars) and taking forever to cast anything (ditto) leads me to conclude this is not a good soloing class, which is the only way I play, really.

Do I have to hire a Merc or something? The only reason I got that feature unlocked was so I could hire Qho and send him out to get killed on a regular basis. :-/

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  5. Treiko Active Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "caster pet" - we only get the one, and his primary function is to intercept damage, not deal damage. You customize it by using the channel essence ability on certain mob types - https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/The_Construct_(Channeler). When you open your character window and select the construct tab, you will see 6 slots above the picture of your pet, and 4 below. The 6 are your appearance selections.. they changet he way your pet looks but not its functionality. The bottom 4 will have the abilities of the collected essences. Some of these are more useful than others, but are not really game-changers. Feel free to change this up until you find a setup you prefer.

Channeler's were designed with end-game in mind... once you get leveled and geared, your cast time will be less of an issue. You will solo just fine. Outside of my regular grouping, I have no trouble soloing whatever content I care to be soloing. I don't use a merc because I have no need for one, they offer no benefit outside of maybe an occasional cure, which I also have no real problems with. Leather armor is not a hindrance in any way - you might take slightly more damage than if you could wear plate, but again this is not an issue that has really affected me once I got my HP up to where they need to be.

Remember, Channelers are a prestige class and were designed as such - their play style is very unique, takes time to learn, and is not for everyone. To be honest, when the class first came out I was so discouraged after lvling to 100 and really trying to learn the class that I gave up and rolled a fury. Ironically, that was the best thing that ever happened to me, and the highly offensive play style of a fury at the time showed me exactly what I needed to learn about the channeler. Now, you won't be blowing the DPS parse away, however you can do decent DPS if you want to, and top the heal parse while you're doing it. That's the benefit of a good portion of our healing coming from offensive abilities like healing arrow, and the Spiritual Arrows AA in the Shaper tree.

All in all - if you enjoy the class, take some time and really learn it before giving up. If you don't think it's gonna be the class for you, there's no shame in trying something else. Best of luck in your future endeavors :)
    Uwkete-of-Crushbone and Pixistik like this.
  6. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Ah! Cool, thanks; I guess my only question still (and I will be keeping up with my two characters; I'm almost more willing to lose a limb than delete a toon ;->) is, how does one channel the essence from a critter? I think that's where my problem was... :-/

And as far as I'm concerned, any useful sidekick you don't need to pay is a "caster pet." ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.
  7. Treiko Active Member

gray mobs you should just be able to cast it outright, anything that gives exp needs to be damaged... i think either to 50% or 25%, i honestly can't recall, it's been a few years lol
    Breanna and Uwkete-of-Crushbone like this.
  8. Uwkete-of-Crushbone Well-Known Member

Hmm! That's probably why it wasn't working; here I was, thinking it was like the Hunters in WoW or a Beastlord here "convincing" a critter to be the next caster pet (been awhile since I did that, either). ;->

Uwk
    Breanna likes this.