Changes that should be done to the berserker.

Discussion in 'Berserker' started by ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf, Apr 27, 2010.

1. ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf Guest

It looks like a demand for a whole class respec. But there are only several minor changes to be made:

Executioner's Wrath (AA Warrior STR 1)
    Give it a crit multiplier or potency bonus. The crit chance is quite useless nowadays since you can have 100+ crit with legendary and easy to get fabled items.
    Enhanced Reflexes (AA Warrior AGI end ability)
    Is totally useless. What does one do with 20 seconds invulnurability while stiffled? It absolutely does not contribute anything to tank/group/raid survivability. If 12 seconds are not enough to stabilize the situation then 20 seconds are not enough as well. Make it instead reduce the stiffle penalty of the reflexes by each point (1.5 seconds stiffle reduction per point).
    Weapon Counter
    Has a rediculous damage value. When being hit, make it hit EVERYTHING around you at once with 3000 damage and 3000 thread.
    Def Stance
    Worst of all plate tanks. Add 200 agi and 200 wis.
    Bloodlust
    Due to the stats revamp it is now more useless than before, since it does not contribute to scout dps any more and most often you are the only fighter in your group. So make it buff 175 str and 175 agi.
    Adrenaline
    Remove the berserk requirement to cast and to maintain!
    Open Wounds
    It once was meant to be a special that should keep it's degree of usefulness through all further levels. While other classes keep the speciality of their specials at higher levels, this ability is almost TOTALLY useless nowadays. This spell is symptomatic of what has been happening to the berserker over time. Crusaders get all the good ideas while the berserker is not looked into. Make this SPECIAL hit EIGHT enemies in 360° around you. Don't leave it be a rediculous haste buff in these Dragon's Temper times (wow, 47 further haste in a already 200+ haste buffed group or raid environment).
  2. ARCHIVED-ZerkerDwarf Guest

Juggernaught
    It once was meant to be a special that should keep it's degree of usefulness through all further levels. While other classes keep the speciality of their specials at higher levels, this ability is almost TOTALLY useless nowadays. This spell is symptomatic of what has been happening to the berserker over time. Instead of buffing 27% crit chance, it should (must) buff 27% crit bonus or potency.
    Front-AE (forgot name)
    Turn it into a 360° AE.
    Green Encounter AE (Battle Cry?)
    Give it a recast of 15 seconds and a reach of 30 meters with an animation of balls of fire or lightning crushing into all enemies (casting animation of T3 heritage mana stone). This is meant to be something for the eye. 100% melee only is optically boring.
    Enervated Dragon's Temper buffs
    Remove its 15% crit chance and replace it by 15% crit bonus or potency.
    Make the AE autoattack hit SIX enemies AROUND you. Crusaders are also hitting everything around them with their tons of AE spells. Berserker should be an AE tank, not a front AE tank.
    TSO AE Rescue
    Should have a cast time of max. 0.5 seconds
    Big AE Rescue (forgot name)
    Should not activatable (or not be timered) when there are no valid targets in range, since it is a BLUE icon. Sure, it is declared as self buff, but the more important component is the rescue, not the proc.
    Kick
    For [insert god here] sake, make the kick be a simple front kick. The current one looks rediculous³. With heavy plate armor, shield and weapon you jump into the air, perform a turn and kick. Just make it a nice front kick like the guardians'. Currently I have packed it into a macro with the Halloween fun turn animation to get rid of this ugly and unfitting jump kick.
  3. ARCHIVED-Rocc Guest

Unyielding Will

Remove the berserk death penaly associated with UW and exploding heart. Even with AA's invested we can still die just from not being berserk when the spell expires. The AA death prevention for UW should make 100% certain that exploding heart will not kill us after the fight.
  4. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

Nice write up ZD. I agree. Berserker onslaught definately need to be a true 360 degree aoe. Zerkers shouldn't need to make a perfect stack on trival mobs just to insure that this ability isn't wasted. Crusader have up to seven....that right seven aoe's. This ability for the zerker needs changing.
    Weapon counter needs to be another blue aoe for the zerker. Lesser damage than the zerkers big hitters but on a faster reuse timer. 3000 damage I think would be to much but 400-750 damage with 500-950 threat every 15 secs would be nice.
    Open wounds like you stated would be nice.
    War cry to me needs to be changed from a dps/haste buff to something more benefical for our comrades we are grouped with. Maybe this could be a the accuracy/potency buff we are looking for.
    Our green aoe encounter only should be on a faster execution timer. 2.5 or 2.0 seconds is far to long to execute this ability and its range sucks. 10 meters would be sufficent.
    Destruction/rampage/turmoil should be the zerkers bread and butter biggest aoe we have. It should also hit every mob not just linked encounter.
    Those are the changes i would like the see happen the most.
    All i can say is I think you are on the money.
  5. ARCHIVED-TuinalOfTheNexus Guest

Would really have more chance of being heard if you thought the balance through, many of these suggestions would be ridiculously overpowering. Worse still, many would remove skill from the class. Onslaught may require some stacking or - gasp - moving backwards slightly while it casts, but this is what makes it not just another vanilla blue AE. Same with the Berserk requirement to survive Unyielding Will, since we have a clicky berserk, if you die it's likely lack of skill rather than a flaw with the ability.
    I'm all for 27% crit bonus on Juggernaut but it should come with a meaningful defensive penalty too, like -7k to mitigation. Executioners wrath changed to ~25 crit bonus for the next CA would make sense. Stunning Roar doesn't really need touching. I'd agree the Zerker tree endline that increases the crit bonus on it is a joke though and should change the reuse time or maybe duration (if it's meant as more of a PvP AA) instead.
    AE autoattack is already extremely powerful. 'AE tank, not a front AE tank' seems to imply taking all the positioning skill out of the class in favor of standing there facing randomly and mashing buttons. Not a fan of that idea. 6-8 target AE auto would be bordering on the ridiculous in heroic instances, 4-target is already about 10-12k dps from autoattack alone.
    I'd agree weapon counter is weak at the moment, but it's no worse than many other damage CAs. An AE proc is a nice idea but looking at the whole picture - i.e. do we need more AE DPS - I'd really question that. Gibe triggering if no targets in range is a very minor issue, that can be solved by not Gibing when there are no targets in range.
    On dragoon's reflexes - it does plug a gap between adrenalines, giving you 30s of 50% damage, then 20s auto-parry, then 10s with stoneskin, and then adrenaline back up, making for at least 1:30 of extreme survivability - possibly 2:30 if it's an AE situation so the 5% proc heal can effectively plug another 30s while Adrenaline refreshes again. I don't see the stifle as much of an issue with hate as trivial as it is atm. It's not a must-have ability by any means, but this is more because we have enough survivability in the first place to not need it.
    And finally, good luck on getting 15% crit bonus on the Dragon's Temper proc...
  6. ARCHIVED-Aull Guest

TuinalOfTheNexus wrote:
    I do agree that some of us are setting our dreams alittle far out of reach. Nothing wrong with that. Look what it got sk's.
    Open wounds of all the zerker abilities is a joke for end game zerkers and once casual players get the mythical then they to will find the ability as useless. This ability does need enchancement. For me this should be a true 360 degree blue aoe that hits up to 10 targets.
    Destruction/rampage/turmoil again should be a true 360 degree blue aoe that hits all targets within 5 meters of the zerker for the ten triggers.
    If just these two abilities were changed to blue aoes I would be more than happy. All the rest of the issues could wait.
  7. ARCHIVED-altuslumen Guest

My bias is towards raiding, it is what I do with most of my time in EQ2. Except for the proposed changed to Insolent Cry I've tried to stay inside of stuff I know exist in EQ2 to avoid new mechanics. No real order other than I tried to group them by category.

SF AA Issues
    1. Battle Frenzy (endline)
    Problem: Lacks usefulness in raiding situations. OT'ing the Gynok adds this will provide about a 25% damage reduction.
    Proposed Change: Add a 1% power regeneration to each hit, thus even if mobs are eating through the heal berserkers are still gaining a benefit.
    2. Insolent Cry
    Problem: This buff increases the damage and hate component, both are pretty irrelevant given that Insolent also has a 5 hate position increase. Maybe it would have worked in T8 but in T9 the myth buff can be gained through heroic content, essentially making so every berserker can/will have the 5 hate position increase.
    Proposed Change: 3% block per rank while wielding a weapon in the offhand (dual wielding). Allow it to act as a shield and as a result be buffed by +block and trigger other effects that depend on a shield.
    3. Loss of Adrenaline (after affect of Adrenaline)
    Problem: No other class stifles a class feature while using another class feature. Adrenaline is already the most expensive ability in game besides Mana Burn and Mana Ward, it doesn't need the additional cost. Berserkers can spend 48 AA on rage related things, the cost seems to high to invalidate those AA.
    EoF: Berserker Tree
    Enhance: Berserk Rage = 5
    Enhance: War Cry = 3
    Enhance: Juggernaut = 4
    Berserk = 1
    Enhance: Unyielding Will = 5
    Enhance: Vision of Madness = 5
    TSO: Shadows Tree
    Unstoppable Will = 5
    Adrenaline Rush = 5
    SF: Berserker Tree
    Ward of Rage = 5
    Total Madness = 5
    Shot of Adrenaline = 5
    On top of all that is the TSO 2-piece raid bonus and a red adornment.
    Proposed Change #1: Allow Rank 5 of Shot of Adrenaline to remove the Loss of Adrenaline penalty.
    or
    Proposed Change #2: Change Loss of Adrenaline to be a -30 attack speed and -30 DPS to cancel the buff from raging.
    Problem #2: Interrupts the berserker every three seconds for 30 seconds.
    Proposed Change #1: Remove the interrupt.
    or
    Proposed Change #2: Document the interrupt in the spell's description.
    4. Total Madness
    Problem: Vision of Madness does not prevent death, the initial heal is too small. Thus, even a longer HoT will still result in a dead berserker while raiding.
    Proposed Change: Instead of adding more ticks to the HoT, allow the additional five ticks to be front loaded. Thus, the first tick with be the the value of six ticks.
    5. Ward of Rage
    Problem: A 300 point ward is near useless in raiding, this AA does not scale well between content.
    Proposed Change: Proc two triggers of 3% incoming damage reduction per rank. Thus, at rank 5 it would proc two triggers of 15% incoming damage reduction. This will allow the AA to scale between content.

TSO AA, Shadows Tree Issues
    6. Wall of Force (endline)
    Problem #1: 10 seconds isn't long enough to get hit twice for 30%+ damage. It is very easy to miss an AE if the timing is just a little off.
    Proposed Change #1: Increase the duration to 15 seconds.
    Problem #2: Only blocks physical damage.
    Proposed Change #2: Allow it to block all types of damage.

EoF AA, Berserker Tree Issues
    7. Debilitation line
    Problem: The whole EoF tree is underwhelming, but the Debilitation line is by far the worst of the tree. The debuffs add very little if anything, especially in a raid.
    Proposed Change: Add a 3% damage increase to each rank of:
    Enhance: Maul
    Enhance: Body Check
    Enhance: Mutilate
    Enhance: Head Crush
    Enhance: Demolish
    This will also go a long way to close the gap in the damage value of berserker CAs compared to other fighters.
    8. Enhance: Unyielding Will
    Problem: Guardians can spend 5 AA to boost this ability to avoid the Death's Door and increase the amount of the heal. We can spend 5 AA and have to time Berserk (rage clicky) to avoid death without any additional health.
    Proposed Change: If we have this AA it should go back to the 'bugged' version, that it removes the Death's Door penalty. Leave it as a lower heal amount since the AA is accessible early in progression and we have Vision of Madness we can stack on top of it.
    9. Perseverance (endline)
    Problem: The heal does not scale through play styles, it is near worthless in a raiding situation.
    Proposed Change: Proc two stoneskins.

CA Issues
    10. Adrenaline (Level 80 ancient CA)
    Problem: The text is wrong. Gynok's death touch for example will bypass Adrenaline.
    Proposed Change #1: Fix Adrenaline so that it works as described.
    or
    Proposed Change #2: Describe Adrenaline as it works.
    11. Aggressive Defense
    Problem: Only triggers off of melee attacks, which reduces it effectiveness against caster mobs.
    Proposed Change: Allow it to trigger off of any attack.
    12. Blood Rage
    Problem: The heal is too small to be viable in raid content.
    Proposed Change: Change the heal to be based on the hit that triggers it. 50% of the damage taken with a floor value of the current value (around 300 HP before AA) and a ceiling of 1000 HP (around 5% of the berserker's health). I originally said just had a percentage, but since this spell upgrades each tier there needs to be a value instead of a moving scale.
    So on an incoming hit there would be a 33% chance the berserker would heal for 50% of the incoming damage or 1000 HP, whichever is less. Not to be lower than 300 HP. The lower limit and upper limit would still be effected by AA.
    13. Bloodlust
    Problem: Used to buff both fighters and scouts.
    Proposed Change: Add AGI to the buff.
    14. Open Wounds (DoF ancient CA)
    Problem: Sometimes the attack speed is nice, but not often. Since AE A-A targets is capped at 4, the buff becomes pretty obsolete with the mythical buff.
    Proposed Change: Add a melee weapon reach increase to the buff similar to what swashbucklers get in their AA, Reach. This will add a little more versatility to the buff and while pulling mobs or when an add engages allows berserkers to hit the mob without hitting a CA if the buff is up.

Red Adornments
    15. Focus: Destructive Rage VI
    Problem: DPS is easy to max, why would any raiding berserker want to add 5 more DPS to the raid.
    Proposed Change: Make the focus like it has been on VP and TSO legs, +Power Regen for the raid.
    16. Focus: Jeering Onslaught
    Problem: Jeering Onslaught is a snap aggro tool (3 hate positions), not a DPS ability.
    Proposed Change: Add one hate position to Jeering Onslaught.
    17. Focus: Berserk
    Problem: Provides less +skills than the TSO two set bonus by about half.
    Proposed Change: Make it at least +21 (same as a greater adornment).
  8. ARCHIVED-Ocello Guest

ZerkerDwarf wrote:
    May want to go back and look at your skill. It already adds 27% potency now (at M1) but for damage only. I know, it never was in patch notes but I promise it's there on the tooltip.