Changes I'd like to see done to warlock

Discussion in 'Warlock' started by ARCHIVED-Nizmarck, Apr 17, 2007.

1. ARCHIVED-Nizmarck Guest

[p]Here is a lits of things I think would make warlocks more fun and complaints I've had with warlock since I started playing. I know there are people that are gonna disagree with probably any/every part of the list...but I also think the general consensus is there. MY POINT OF THIS IS NOT TO SAY "WARLOCKS SUCK"...I love my warlock. My contention is to make my warlock as fun to play as the other characters I have...To see people requesting a warlock in their group like they do other classes. Hopefully a dev can reply with their thoughts on some of these issues. Finally, its gonna be a long read, so sorry in advance:[/p][p]1. HATE First and foremost...Our agro is horrible. For me to really do the dps that other classes can put out, I will at least catch agro if not outright die. This isn't to say that some of the agro cannot be contained, and that we don't have SOME ways to prevent it. I'm saying that how much we agro is out of control....it seems each point of damage for us is about 3pts of "agro" while other classes have one or .5 of a point.[/p][p]2. De-Agro Similar to above, but this has to do with our spells that are supposed to de-agro. Quite simply, they don't do enough/aren't effective. The way I am now, my Concussion and Vulian Nullification are just about equal to the amount of de-agro as me casting Void Absolution or Nebula...which leaves me very open to every other spell I cast until the end of the encounter. [/p][p]3. Utility Warlocks have little if any utility. We offer no great group buffs, no outstanding raid buffs and other than raw damage, we don't bring anything to a group/raid. Our Seal line is next to pointless. It may have its uses, but it is not enough for anyone to want to put a warlock in their group. Phantom Pillaging has too long of a recast for it to be worthwhile. Other major dps classes have some utility...others have great utility...I think we need ours rethought.[/p][p]4. ROOT Our group root is pointless, and our single target root is next to worthless. A vast majority of our damage comes from DOTs. Our roots work off a chance to break for each time damage is dealt. MEANING: each time any of our DOTs hurts the opponent, the root can break. It doesn't even matter if the damage done to the mob is 5 pts or 5000...any damage gives the root a chance to break. Other mages get a pet or MASSIVE direct damage to counter that...warlocks don't. Furthermore, our group root works the same way, so that when we attack a groupped mob, the group dot has a chance to break on EACH member of the mob...in other words, you have multiple tries at a break from one spell. I am yet to kill any conning solo mob or higher that the root stuck the entire battle.[/p][p]5. AFTERSHOCK Its a joke. Really, its a joke. Anyone who tried this AA out knows how futile it is. A whooping 350 more pts of damage. [/p][p]6. GEAR Anyone who reads these posts and sees the legendary/fabled class gear of warlocks knows what I'm saying. Our best gear doesn't come in a set. Our benefits from wearing more than one item in a set are next to worthless. Our class hat looks HORRIBLE...especially seeing as so many warlocks offered some great ideas for what it could look like, and how long after KoS we waited for it, I feel shorted.[/p][p]7. Casting Time I understand our "big" hitters to take a while to cast...but overall, it seems all of our casting times and recast timers are longer than other classes. And although they repaired some of the damage by making our group attacks not fizzle when the one mob dies, many of our single attacks still do. ALSO, our spell buffers (Aura of Nihility, Netherous Realm, Corrupt Gift) should be cast MUCH faster. Seeing as these are the spells that really COULD put a warlock above some other classes in dps, why do they take so long to cast?[/p][p]8. Useless Spells There are certain spells I don't even use or find any use for. Boon of the Damned, I consider worthless because 4% de agro is NOTHING to us. Null Caress, used to be fun to play with, but seriously is not a good de-agro and the teleportation thing is just another way to either add mobs or confuse your tank. Bind Sight, seeing as you have to be in range of the person to cast it, I don't see its purpose. Shadowsight you get to see invis, but with a horrible yellow Sonic vision as well...Has any warlock really used that? Curse of Isolation/Curse of Void, For gathering Nil Crystals...great...but as a debuff, pointless.[/p][p]9. Spell Damage Range By this I mean how varied the damage can be from Apocalypse and other spells. Having my spells hit the minimum for 700 a tick or 1400 a tick is a tad too varied. [/p][p]10. Dark Infestation My biggest complaint with this spell is that the broodlings do not go after any other mobs in the encounter after the target of the spell dies. They last around for a little bit, but I think they should find a new target in the encounter until the encounter dies, or their timer is up.[/p][p] [/p][p]==============================================================================[/p][p]Solutions:[/p][p]1) Make the amounts of agro less....actually, I have a few plans I would like to see. First, make it so that not every mob in the encounter agros to us, but merely the one we targetted. That way, we don't have to worry about the other mobs attacking us, just the one the tank should be trying to taunt.....I understand that of course other classes may see this as unfair....So another possible solution is to have warlocks be able to give a "reverse" amends. Other classes have it....only theirs isn't limited to 4%. Finally, we could have a self buff that passively reduces the amount of hate we get from casting. [/p][p]2) Same as above. Make our deagros buffs that either reduce the amount of hate passively....or give us a reverse amends...[/p][p]3) A five minute recast feign death like necros... or a permanent pet (netherlord perhaps)...or a evac like our sorceror counterparts....a group invis, int/power buff....power shards or hearts...a poison/disease buff that is HIGHER than the necro one...a small power regen...even make our casting buff worth MORE...but ANYTHING!! We need to be able to bring SOMETHING to a group/raid....[/p][p]4) Change the root so that its not based on damage, but the chance to break based on spells/effects cast on the encounter. That means if we cast more, it will more likely break...if we cast ONCE in a while...even though its a DOT....it won't break as often. [/p][p]5) Leave Aftershock in there...but make the damage SIGNIFICANTLY more...make it so that people are more willing to use that line than other lines...seeing as those spells connected in explosiveness really are the warlock's bread-and-butter[/p][p]6) Why not ask us what we want in our gear....you have done that with other classes.....and our class hat...Get rid of that design, burn it...burn the person that thought of it, and try again.[/p][p]7) Leave the big hitters the way they are, but make the smaller damage and the spell buffers quick...Make it so a warlock feels he can either cast apocalypse....... or a spell buff, a de buff and a small nuke....in the same amount of time.[/p][p]8) Make Boon a 30% reverse amends. Make Null Caress not a teleport...and MASSIVE deagro/slow...Bind Sight...make it so that as long as you are in the zone with them, you can see what they see. Shadowsight....get rid of sonic vision...maybe add "see stealth" make it not a passive buff, but a temporary one with a power cost. The curses, make it so that the power/health/int/str we debuff, we get a portion of temporarily...The Phantom pillaging, increase the number of pts per tick....or make the debuffs percentage based...not a set number.[/p][p]9) Set the range closer together...I would be willing to sacrifice the chances of hit 1400 a tick if the range was 900-1200. But to have the minimum of each time a cast only minorly better than the max of Devastation is horrid.[/p][p]10) If you attack an group encounter...and the broodlings help kill one of the let's say three mobs...it goes after one or BOTH of the others...I would even be happy if it goes after the closest mob (as long as it isn't going too far out of range) to attack...but to have them attack, and last a few seconds before dying kinda leaves that spell desiring that the broodlings last around a bit longer.[/p][p] [/p][p]Well, there you have it. Like I said, I'm sure some of you will find disagreement with some of this, but many will like these ideas....and even if you think your warlock is PERFECT...I see things that need improvement. [/p]
  2. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

- Now, aggro management/control has always been a weak point in EQ2, but with Warlocks it is a joke. It is to say, you don't need to parse nr 1 to get aggro. It just sucks parsing 4-5th place and still get aggro from grouped encounters, while other classes outparse you without getting aggro. That means something's definately wrong. - Our AE's go through walls, needless to say that sucks and it limits you as a Warlock severely. - AE DPS gets severely cut by mezzers, might be better if our AE's get calculated on the mobs they are ticking on. - Warlocks are too slow casters, going the faster caster AA lines are the best things I 've ever done, I enjoy the class a lot more now, it just feels more actionpacked and lively now.
  3. ARCHIVED-DjVacant Guest

[p]You're right...I think I disagree with you on almost everything you said...[/p][p]Betray to a wizard[/p]
  4. ARCHIVED-Nizmarck Guest

[p] I love people who skim read and make a wonderful comment like this.....[/p][p]Ok...why do you disagree with almost everything I said.[/p][p]And Like I said before...I'm not betraying, and my point here is NOT to whine about warlock, but to show items I still feel need looked at.[/p][p]If you feel warlock is fine and there is nothing wrong with the class....great! I for one have seen certain things not be addressed, and I wanted feedback if others see it.[/p][p] [/p][p]To the other poster, I agree that our AE's going through walls is a major hassle...and That is something that should be looked at as well....I mean what disease/poison spell REALLY can go through mortar?[/p][p]And yeah, hastenings has helped me out a LOT with casting.....but I always pictured AA's as abilities to help and upgrade that which you have....But when you need that line JUST to be able to stay on par with other classes...it kinda sucks.[/p]
  5. ARCHIVED-Gromann Guest

Aggro management is BS, you just need to either learn a better casting order, or find a better MT/MT grp. In FTH, there are 4 mob encounters where i can parse 5k or better, without pulling aggro. There is no other class out there that can consistently parse that high, and definitely not one who can do it without pulling aggro. AAs? Don't complain. The warlock AAs are by far the best EoF AAs there are. Aftershocks suck? Its 1 point in a line that most warlocks already max, and can give you a 100-300dps boost depending on the zone. I can't think of a single other AA that can give such a boost to dps, so again you need to take a better perspective on it. I can agree with the root argument, but its just the nature of the class and its always been that way. Find a druid to root for you, their root has a MUCH lower chance to break. Gear: Every caster is in the same boat. The set gear is nice, but when it comes to raiding, no caster who cares about their dps is wearing their set. Some items are just irreplaceable for raids, and it will always be that way. Think about it, should the EoF set pieces be so uber that no piece of gear from KoS is even close to it? I don't want it that way. Relic wasn't that good, and i doubt set armor will ever be that good. Useless spells: Nil crystals are annoying, but its obviously not high on the priority list for a change, a poets run will yield you a ton of them. Boon, well 4% hate is 4% hate. Would love for it to be higher, but its better than nothing. Warlocks get a see invis without sonic vision, use it instead. Al mages get bind sight, never found a use for it outside of Nizara. Put some points into both your debuffs and they are not half bad. Maxed Curse of the Void when you have AAs in it decreases the str of a target by as much as a dirge, thats a damn nice debuff for a dps class. Casting Times: All mages have slow cast times on our big spells, particularly AEs. Max the hastenings line in your EoF tree and it becomes less of an issue, combined with Agility line in the old tree and its awesome. Range: Tried Volatility? 42meter range on Apoc, Void Distortion, Soul Blister, all of your ranged DoTs. Its pretty sweet if you ask me, and no other mage comes close to that range. Varied damage: A complaint for all mages, if you don't like it max your strength line and get catalyst, and max your wisdom line and use freehand more often along with the 8% boost to base damage to negate it. Dark Infestation: Check again, mobs will hit all mobs in the encounter and aggro on the next mob once the original mob is dead. They did it for me as late as last night. If you are having problems with it, petition, because it sounds like a zone/character problem. Hope i didn't miss anything, but i was in a rush. The warlock is a superb class if you take the time to learn the ins and outs of it. Ask questions on the best way to do things before you go complaining about it. Right now i have yet to see a wizard outparse a warlock that is pure dps specced on a raid, and the only time they come close is when they manaburn on a single target mob. I know 3 wizards, 2 are now warlocks and one wants to be but i told him we need at least 1 manaburner on a raid so i asked him not to switch. I just don't get the people that are always asking for improvements on a class that not only just got a huge boost, but is imo by far the best mage class out there. Learn to play the class and most of these complaints will make sense to you.
  6. ARCHIVED-DjVacant Guest

[p]well...if you must know....[/p][p] Some of your gripes could be considered valid. Hate issues will always be a problem for a warlock unless they're in a perfect group/raid set up and know what spell order to cast in (and they'll still pull aggro from time to time) and we do not have a ton of utility (which isn't a suprise considering we're supposed to be a T1 DPS class), but other than that I do not agree with your complaints. [/p][p]The De-agros that we do have have saved me countless times.[/p][p] The Utility that we CAN provide if we don't spec ourselves full DPS are pretty nice. Vacuous rocks, and though I don't have it, the trigger percent line may be beneficial for certain groups. Considering you're so hung up on hate and deaggro issues, doesn't it make sense to put some points into an area that provides increased personal deaggro as well as a nice group hate increase/decrease?[/p][p]Your root issues are your own. Your description of what takes place is dead on...so don't use the DoTs. Sure sure wizzies can solo 10 times better than us because of their single target superiority, but that's what they're built for...we're not. Like I said...betray to wizzie bud.[/p][p]I can't speak for Aftershock as I've yet to get it, but from the posts I've seen concerning it, it'll make up around 8% of ones damage at the end of a raid. I asked my Wizard friend what % his manaburn did and he said "anywhere from 8% to 10%". What's the problem again??[/p][p]Not gonna touch the gear issue...that's your opinion and I'm not going to try to tell you that orange should be your favorite color rather than blue.[/p][p]Casting times are good the way they are. It seems that your goal is to make warlocks the hands down most powerful group and single target DPS class in the game. I know things aren't totally balanced, but they're not super out of whack either. What you're asking for is absolutely rediculous. Also...how much faster do you want to be doing DPS? Don't you already have a problem with controlling your hate? Oh that's right...you want to change it so we don't gain hate from doing damage to anything that the tanks not targetting...don't even get me started on that hella ******** game unbalancing idea....[/p][p]You consider Boon of the Damned, our 4% hate transfer useless. You continue to run circles around your own arguements... Yes I'd love to see the % increased, but seeing as how I can parse in the top 3 of a raid and not pull aggro unless I get careless, I'd say the transfer that we do have is OK.[/p][p]The dark broodlings DO go after the other mobs that are linked in the encounter don't they? Wasn't that a recent change? I guess I could be wrong here....[/p][p]I'm going to stop now...I don't think I could go over your proposed solutions without being a total *******. My solution to your problems is to NOT spec myself 100% DPS and take some of the utility that your other achievement trees provide. You can still do a ton of damage if you go AGI/INT, and you'll spend a lot less time on your ****. [/p][p] [/p]
  7. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

Well, do enlighten us how you parse 5k or better without pulling aggro. I'll even say please, lol. I'm asking you to teach me the ins and outs of the Warlock class. I'm not the best or highest parsing Warlock out there, but either you totally rule or your fellow group/raid mates suck. Now, we all know it's impossible to always be in the ideal group setup, e.g. I never have Amends etc... Yes I can parse nr1 in FTH as well, but I will also die 90% of the times. But numerous times I've seen wizards parse nr1 regularly. In regular group setups, I've seen rangers and bruisers do insane dps as well.
  8. ARCHIVED-Gromann Guest

I always have either a trouby, or an illu with Time Compression, and if im lucky i pull both of them. Parse 5k on those 4mob pulls in FTH? we have a zerker using destruction, coercer and dirge hate on him. Precast Netherous, Corrupt Gift, Rift. Then cast Nebula, Vulian Nullification, Void Absolution, Apoc, Concussive, Dark Infestation, Nebula, Void Absolution, Chaostorm, then work thru your single target spells and use Nebula/apoc/absolution every time they are up, cycling your dehate every time they are up. Its not all that hard, you just have to learn the threashold of your MT and step up to that line every chance you get. Single target, always have your DoTs running, and i mean ALWAYS. They don't seem like they hit hard, but Scourge of Shadows can EASILY account for 15% of your dps thru the night if you always cast it. Don't waste the cast times on AE spells on single target mobs unless you use quickcast. I was specced pure dps. Agi/Str line in the old tree, with Hastenings and Explosives maxed, end abilities in both. Parsing high is easy, but what most warlocks(especially the ones who complain about the class) don't realize is that nothing cuts your dps more than pulling aggro. I see lots of warlocks precast Apoc, and nothing will get you killed faster. Start off with your small dots, and work your way up to the big stuff as fast as possible.
  9. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

[p] Nizmarck wrote: [/p]
    I had to throw "ANSWER:" beside my lines because apparently quoted object aren't liking coloured text for some reason.
  10. ARCHIVED-RFMan Guest

[p]1. Aggro is actually doing pretty well, but it's too dependant on other classes, in my opinion. With coercer/dirge on MT and troub on you, it's near perfect, but if you take one of those things out of the equation, it can end up sucking badly. Amends also helps.[/p][p]2. I suppose this would be good. This would alleviate the problems with co-dependancy.[/p][p]3. Our seal buff is great, so I don't know what you're talking about. Who wouldn't want fewer resists? Some of our other buffs/spells could be better, and evac would be nice, but we're not doing as terribly as you say.[/p][p]4. Our single target root is pretty good if you ask me. It might not have the best chance to hold, but the fear proc afterward really helps. If you don't hit it twice at the same time (aura + nuke or nuke + gear proc), it's guaranteed to proc fear, which means you can reroot.[/p][p]On this note, though, I'll add in that the fear is bugged and doesn't always fear; sometimes it just snares.[/p][p]5. As others have said: 1 aa, 3-5% zonewide dps.[/p][p]6. Meh[/p][p]7. Go agi. I'm agi/str specced at the moment, and it's great. With hastenings, void distortion is just a 2.1 second cast time.[/p][p]8. Every class has useless spells, but some of the spells you list aren't useless. Null caress has saved my life soloing and raiding a few times (as well as OCCASIONALLY in a group, but usually that's too risky). It doesn't teleport raid creatures. Shadowsight? Just use see invis. It's also useful if you want to play with a bit of realism and have the gamma turned down.[/p][p]9. Every caster has this problem. Get crit chance.[/p][p]10. It seems to work for me...?[/p]
  11. ARCHIVED-Nizmarck Guest

[p]Zahne, by far you had the best reply and commenting out of everyone....[/p][p]*edit* was typing while RFman replied...good reply as well, although dark broodlings don't go after other mobs...they just stick around a little while after the mob you cast them on died. It would be nice if they lasted their duration.[/p][p]Groman and DJVacant's response to everything was to use AA...Which isn't exactly the answer until i have around 300 AA so I can spec every ability in ALL trees. Vacuous is nice utility...free hand sorcery is great. I'll even say for what its worth, i can see how Aftershock can have its uses. Problem is that I can't have them all. No necro has to decide if he wants to be able to feign death or be able to rez people. Why should our "utility" be based on AA? Just explain why we SHOULDN'T have evac...[/p][p]Incidently...you think our AA line is the best, huh? Maybe you should see what some other classes are getting...that's not to say what we are getting is bad....some of it is good! But it can be better...[/p][p]It also seems that Gromann with his massive DPS has a great MT/MT Group...Not to mention a little help from illusionist, furies and troubs...Here's the problem though. Join a pick up raid. Join one with a horrible mt/mt group. No fury/troub/illusionist in your group...go ahead and tell me you're doin 5k dps....didn't think so either. A lot of your "hate isn't an issue" is because you've been catered to a good raid/mt group. I have no doubt that if you didn't have all the perks of your good raid, you wouldn't touch 2k, let along 5k.[/p][p]Rooting: I don't want to find a druid to root for me. I want to be able to root myself...I want to be able to say that if I cast my single and group root on a mob (both mastered) the root(s)won't break with ONE SPELL...that just isn't right...If you don't have a problem with root, then why is this change so unaccepting? It would only make soloing that much less troublesome. It won't make it easier, but rather LESS TROUBLESOME.[/p][p]Useless spells: Boon has its merit..but only comparing it to NOTHING! Compare Boon to the Assassin's hate transfer....or *sigh* amends. I know, those are other classes...but why don't we have something comparable? 37%, 41 %...and then 4%...hmmm For Null Caress, I would probably agree with you in its usefulness if it was around a 2k de threat. As it is, i'm better off trying to use vulian and concussive...[/p][p]Group See invis: I don't want to have to cast see invis SIX times just to have the same desired effect as taking the sonic vision out of the group see invis....the point of this post was "things i would like changed"...and if warlocks don't use this spell...doesn't it stand to follow it should be changed? [/p][p]Also, though people want to say "use AA" for utility, dps, and now even debuffing...sorry...not enough AA...gonna have to stick with the original "Curse of Void" is useless.[/p][p]Cast Times: I think some people may want to reread what my post original said. I don't want increased casting times on my big spells...I understand why its slow...I want quicker casting times on My netherous realm, my aura of nihility and my corrupt gift.....spells that ENHANCE my big hitters....As Gromann pointed out, he tries to cast all those prior to engagement of mob....which I try to do...but when the pulls are coming fast and furious....you really don't have time to cast them...at least not prior to the pull. Especially seeing that they have HUGE recast timers and they are only good for what...20 seconds/30 seconds/45 seconds...I feel they should be easier to use right before an engagement.[/p][p]Hate: It seems my description was insufficient to people about Hate...I FEEL that if I do 1000pts of damage, a necro does 1000 pts of damage and wizard does 1000 pts of damage, all unbuffed and totally equal in every way possible, for some reason the Warlock's hate to the mob goes up 1600, the Wizard 1000 and the necro 800. I would love to see how this could be worked out and tested, but I'm sure i'm right.[/p][p]Spell damage Range: I understand there are ways that can modify, but my concern is that we as the players shouldn't have to modify it. It shouldn't be that varied in the first place. I am asking WHY does it have to be this varied.....[/p][p]And to reply to DJVacant's "HELLA" comment: yes, you are wrong about dark broodlings.....and a lot of other stuff too, it seems.[/p][p] [/p][p]In SUMMARY: Try replying to my original post without using any AA, any Raid set-up, any benefits/uses of OTHER CLASSES, not because they are irrelevant, but because AA's can only be spread so thin, raid make ups allow other classes to hide our shortcomings and I don't want to [sic] SOLO with another class. It would be the same as if I said I could use Tarton's Wheel, Escape Roots, the Tinkerer's FD and Evac...I know I can find ways around shortcomings, that's part of playing the game...the point of this post is that some things...I don't want to have to look for ways around.[/p][p]Again, Again, I will say....I love my warlock...he is my favorite toon I don't want to betray, I don't want to change classes. I want my warlock better. Is he MUCH better than he was a year ago? of course. I just don't want SOE to stop there...put the finishing touches that would make a warlock no longer the underdog.[/p]
  12. ARCHIVED-Gromann Guest

That is your problem man. You want your cake, you want to eat it, and you don't want to pay for it. The Warlock has PLENTY of utility, and if utility is your desire you can spec for it. If you want DPS, you can spec there. If you want pure pvp, you can spec for it. What your entire post seems to say is that you want to be able to do everything, and Sorcerers, in any game, have never been about utility. Necros have rez and evac, but they can't do the dps we can except with their once every 5 minute manaburn. Wizards get evac, and high single target dps, we have high encounter dps which is far more usefull imo. Every class has its ups and its downs, and the AAs are there so that you can pick which direction you want to go. You can have any flavor; pvp, utility, dps, deaggro and in come cases you can mix and match without much penalty to any of the others, but you cannot have it all, nor can any other class. Find me one class out there who can do everything, please. As for my MT group/Group on a raid, its pretty simple. You run a pickup raid that is not properly set up, with the wrong classes because you were hurting for bodies/talent, you are going to be held back. It is not a flaw of your class, its a flaw of the raid setup. You shouldn't be asking them to change your class because you have the unfortunate experience of playing with people who do not know how to play their class, it doesn't make sense. The biggest reason i come on this board and argue against every single person that wants to see the warlock improved is this. We have reached a point where we are balanced, and borderline overpowered. If they give us any more, we will end up like brigands or Conjurors, and losing our big advantages, because we pushed for more than we ever should have gotten, and when we crossed the line the nerf bat came down hard. Be happy that your toon isn't broken like it was back in LU13(i think) and that the class is actually useful. It has taken us long enough to get away from the reputation of ripping aggro from every MT out there because untalented players just spam their big stuff and give you a dumb look when they pull aggro. I know, i was one of them. For my first couple of months raiding i was the only one who left every single raid zone naked, while my MT didn't take a single armor hit. Just take the time to learn the ins and outs of your class, become proficient at it, and enjoy everyone's jaw hitting the floor when someone pastes a parse. Sure, you will die from time to time when you cross the line, but the only way you will ever improve your dps and your MT group is to constantly toe the line, and both of you compete for aggro. If your MT is good, he will learn to hold it. And yes, i can dps 2k easily on encounter mobs in a pickup raid. I don't need a trouby or illusionist, and my MT doesn't need 2 hate buffs. You just have to adjust your casting order in a way that gives the MT time to build his hate, and so long as the other people in the raid aren't taking his hate you should be able to do quite well. But PLEASE don't complain about our class because you can't shine in a pickup raid, its a horrible example of why we need to be changed.
  13. ARCHIVED-DjVacant Guest

[p]Bah...I was correct about the broodlings, as someone else confirmed above. They do continue on to the rest of the encounter after the initial target is dead. As far as the rest, there's no easy way to say it...you're asking for far too much in an attempt to "balance" our class. I agree completely with Gromann's last reply...[/p][p] By the way, when you typed this...[/p][p]"Hate: It seems my description was insufficient to people about Hate...I FEEL that if I do 1000pts of damage, a necro does 1000 pts of damage and wizard does 1000 pts of damage, all unbuffed and totally equal in every way possible, for some reason the Warlock's hate to the mob goes up 1600, the Wizard 1000 and the necro 800. I would love to see how this could be worked out and tested, but I'm sure i'm right."[/p][p]You pretty much just proved that you have no idea how to control your aggro. Coming up with some sort of conspiracy against warlock hate generation rather than come to terms with your bad aggro control....priceless....[/p]
  14. ARCHIVED-Nizmarck Guest

[p]Ok, Like I said...Warlocks have baseline utility IF they spec AA for it...meaning AA has to be used for you to have the most remote of utility. Wizards don't have to do that for their evac...necros don't for their rez/fd...conjurors don't have to for their coh, the list goes on.[/p][p]As far as dps...which seems in your world that warlocks are end all be all...we are tier 2 at best. Sure maybe every once in a while some UBER warlock with a great raid can parse high, but on the average warlocks are NOT top of the list...they are usually in the brigand and swashbuckler range.....and i think those two classes have a 'tad' more utility than we do.[/p][p]You make it sound like I want everything...does having a group see invis that doesn't distort everyone's view REALLY make that much of a difference? How about the ability that a ROOT...ROOTS!!! is that wanting my cake and eat it too? Its people like you that simply add "learn your class" to any post and think that solves everything. It doesn't.[/p][p]Since LU13 when we were notorious for (as you put) ripping agro away from the mt...let's see what warlocks have done....well..really NOTHING else....it seems since LU13, we are still the BASIC model warlock...the only difference I see? our root breaks![/p][p]and No, you won't be able to do 2k dps...sure you will think you can, but you'll die....wanna know why? our de agro is not sufficient enough to de escalate our hate...accept it. Look at our posts, read the forums...figure out that although you are the Almighty with warlocks...most of us see the truth....we STILL have problems, and its people like you that want to hush hush because they might nerf us again. Well, we've been there...and to be honest, we'll be there again all classes do at some point (except necros for some reason)..so why not try the other side...[/p][p]Also, I'm not saying I want to change my class because others don't know how to play their class....it actually sounds more like YOU are saying "WE SHOULD NOT CHANGE OUR CLASS BECAUSE OTHERS PLAY THEIR CLASS TOO WELL!" 5k dps....seriously....even if you can hit that, and hit that often, to seriously think you did that all by yourself shows that although you may know a thing or two about playing, you still don't get the game.[/p][p]And no, you come on this board to argue because you want to argue.[/p][p]We are not BORDERLINE OVERPOWERED...period. We are just barely starting to come in to being a feasible class. and its people like you that have CONTINUED to hold us back because you would rather BRAG about hitting 5k dps than see what is BROKEN with our class.[/p][p]You still have not explained why we are without evac...or any other VIABLE utility....[/p][p]You have not addressed why certain things that do not apply to your RAID need to be looked at, and in general, you are just trying to make every other warlock that is not YOU feel like they don't know their class.[/p][p]And no, DJ, you are still wrong. They will continue on..but will continue on NEAR YOU...have you SEEN them actually move to another mob? didn't think so...they will aoe whatever is around them (by you) but even then, they will disappear BEFORE the time has expired....So I guess you BOTH need to go out and try that before making that claim...I have tried it out...and you are both dead wrong.[/p][p]As far as the whole conspiracy thing: Who knows...it sure does seem that way. Like I said before...i do X amount of damage and a Necro or wizard does X amount of damage...the mob comes to me...say i have bad aggro control all you want...I say you are pretending to be a wizard...because warlocks DO HAVE BAD AGRO CONTROL![/p][p] [/p][p] [/p]
  15. ARCHIVED-Gromann Guest

Man, i find it REALLY hard to believe you know what you are talking about, especially since you are griping about your survivability in a pick-up raid. I can, and have, done 2k dps with a crappy raid setup. How long have you played a warlock? What kind of gear do you have? What are your upgrades? Can you give us an example of an encounter and your casting order? You have done nothing but complain, but have not really given an example of why you think it should be changed. Wizards have evac, big whoop. Conjurors have CoH, who cares? There are only a few zones when that is actually beneficial, otherwise its just a tool to endorse laziness. None of these classes are utility gods as you seem to have the impression, they are 1 trick ponies. What does a wizard get besides Evac? What does a Conjuror get besides CoH? Necro gets FD and Rez. 1min recast on rez, and i don't know about FD but i'm sure its not 15sec or less recast like a brawler. Group see invis? Seriously are you THAT lazy you are going to complain that you have to cast it on every member? When do you ever NEED group see invis? You aren't on a pvp server, and i can think of only a few select mobs that invis, and its pretty much limited to the eyes in DT. Our root does root, and it stacks with encounter root, you just cant toss out every small dot you have on a mob and expect it to stick. If you want to be the ultimate solo class you should have rolled a wizard instead, and there is no way around it. Since LU13 we were the class that did nothing more but dish out high dps until we pulled aggro, then we died. EoF came out, they did a little tweaking, and now we are actually good at dps and don't pull aggro if we know what we are doing. You cannot complain about us needed X, Y, and Z class to truly shine, EQ2 has and always will be a group based game, every class is designed to shine when other classes are present. Go try soloing mobs on a trouby and try to tell me differently. Every warlock who is still complaining about the class since EoF is either new to the class, came back to the class after a long break, or in your case(i assume, since your eq2players info is hidden) just unhappy because they play with people who are sub-par at what they do and it hinders your potential playing ability. You can make every claim you want about how i say this and that, but you have brought nothing to the table except complaining that other classes have more utility than ours, and when met with the AA argument all you say is "Why do i have to spend my AAs to get it, they don't" i don't think any good warlock is going to come here and take a side. The one complaint that all warlocks(90%+) seem to share is that they do not want Nil crystals. Look at every thread on this board since EoF. Its a trend, first time posters either complaining or asking questions on how to become better at their class. Then look at all of the old school players, telling them what to do and explaining why we are finally a balanced class. And my personal favorite: "As far as the whole conspiracy thing: Who knows...it sure does seem that way. Like I said before...i do X amount of damage and a Necro or wizard does X amount of damage...the mob comes to me...say i have bad aggro control all you want...I say you are pretending to be a wizard...because warlocks DO HAVE BAD AGRO CONTROL!" Are you kidding me? Do you have any sort of parse data to prove this? Are you trying to tell us that you, a wizard and a necro all nuked the same mob at the same time in the same group with the same tank did exactly the same damage and YOU pulled the aggro? Do you realize how absurd this statement sounds? Do the math, you can completely negate the aggro on a crit apoc master 1 by using Vullian and Concussive. Some classes would KILL for that kind of dehate, and we even get to enhance ours. I hate to be so cliche, but seriously man you need to learn how to play your class before you start talking about how you want it fixed. I'm not the end all/be all example of a perfect warlock, there are guys like Prof and Zhane that i'm sure can blow me out of the water in a raid situation, but i know how to play my class without pulling aggro 99% of the time and i cant stand it when some guy who isn't willing to put in the time and effort necessary to be proficient at a T1 DPS class comes in here trying to say what is wrong with the class. Warlocks are fine, don't get them nerfed because you are lazy.
  16. ARCHIVED-Araxes Guest

I don't see most of what you list as a problem. I'm sorry but I don't have the time to give bulleted reasons for every comment you made, just now. Overall, I don't feel that we lack in utility - nor do I want any more of that sort of spell in my repertoire. I want to be DPS, and that's all. Had I wanted utility -- and this horse is so dead already, this thread is a rehash of about 100 other threads -- I would have been a different class. Frankly I don't care about evac or whatever, enough scouts and priests can do that. The broodlings do stay within encounter; its when you pull multi encounters at once that they will return and sit at your feet - but linked encounters, they will go for. Aggro ... is not a problem for me. Any raid leader worth anything knows to put a warlock with either a guardian or pally. In groups its a matter of knowing your casting order and using good judgment. Aside from Vulian and Concussive, I specc'd the Int line believe it or not and I still parse generally top 3 and I get the de-aggro from concussive blasts and the 10% innate reduction ... which means I spend less time casting de-aggro and more time doing DPS. It's all relative. I do recommend the AGI and Hastenings line for everyone. Spell-casting is non-stop for me. I never am without something to cast and I rarely feel as if I am missing the gun anymore. Null caress is great in raids since it won't port the mobs but will still give the de-aggro. Our roots I would agree. I can see those go. Procs are great for our class - that is where I feel our utility comes in. We got power transfer proc, encounter-wise poison proc with Runes line, Gift, Netherous Realm, Pillaging is actually quite useful in long epic encounters; we can port groups to the spires ... I don't think we lack in that area, no. Really I have to agree with whoever it was that said we are in a close-to-balanced state -- I do think this is the case, now, more than it has ever been before. I am by no means a top-dog warlock in raids - but I have no problems with my parse rankings, and I have grouped with other warlocks who are consistently top (likely bc they spec WIS/STR or AGI/STR or AGI/WIS whereas I took the INT line instead) -- and to give us what you ask is to overpower us and inevitably get us another overcompensated nerf akin to what we got in LU 13 and what Rangers got after that. A great post you made overall, liked that you actually suggested things instead of whining - but I have to respectfully disagree with most of it. Happy hunting.
  17. ARCHIVED-Dabbie Guest

As for the aggro thing... to me, it's not our dps that's lacking. I do fine on the parses. But aggro? Sure, I can do 2k consitently in raid. And our MT is awesome. But it just drives me up the wall when our necro (who is awesome) outparses me on almost every single fight (not the AOE ones of course) and rarely if ever pulls aggro (of course if he does he just hits his fd button) where as I, at a lower dps than the necro, pull not infrequently. It's worse on multi target encounters. Sure, if our zerker has insolent gibe, open wounds, and juggernaut running I'll never pull any of the mobs off him. But the next aoe encounter we come to? When those spell timers haven't refreshed? I'm dead. I hate having to rely ONLY on other classes to control our aggro. I am a decently geared warlock. I have hate reducing gear. I group with a troub, and our MT with a dirge and coercer. I will still pull aggro and die while the necro in the same group as me parses higher and doesn't pull aggro. I'm not asking for necros to be nerfed. I'm simply asking that warlocks get some say in whether they live or die. Cast SoN blackburrow
  18. ARCHIVED-Deathspell Guest

Amen to that. Pulling aggro without parsing top DPS is just wrong.
  19. ARCHIVED-Windowlicker Guest

20. ARCHIVED-LoreLady Guest

Im a ranger, I pull agro all the time without topping parse.. Does this mean I need a boost to? (sarcasm) In all seriousness, warlocks are fine the way they are.. They do require pretty specific setups, and require 100 aa's more so than other classes. Afew tidbits of advice if you cant do decent dps on raids.. Get a zerker tank if you can instead of a guardian tank, they are much more flexible for AE/single target then there guardian counterparts. Go down the agil/wis lines in your pred tree. Make sure you get aftershock/doubled cast in your EoF tree's. Make sure you get some form of deagro in your group - and realize that in order to go all out the MT pretty much needs a dirge/swash in that group. And the last little bit, instead of complaining about your dps go get help; its out there all you have to do is ask and theres always something you can do to improve.